The Jacksons - Destiny & Triumph Expanded Editions [threads merged]

The music is remastered and sounds excellent. The music is definitely more lively and more clear. Even if you already have Destiny and Triumph on cd, I would still get these. The sound quality is much better, worth the price alone, plus the remixes as most already know, are really quite good.

Really???? Then I have to buy them! I adore these albums and one thing is true that Michael (and his brothers) make quality music so we have to listen them only in good quality!:yes:

^^^maybe, but I love all of them. I just can't choose which one is the best for me.

GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD ANOTHER RE RELEASEDDDDDD

GRRRRRRRRRRR! I get insane!!
these are Jackson releases, and these albums DESERVE to get re-released.

I've been waiting for remastered editions:wild:

http://mjdatabank.com/news/prochainement/jacksons_expanded_2008_eng.htm

The Jacksons: Destiny (1978) and Triumph (1980) Now Expanded and Remastered Versions!

In honor of its 30th anniversary, DESTINY, including two bonus tracks of rare 12-inch disco mixes previously
unavailable on CD, and TRIUMPH, with three bonus tracks of rare 12-inch mixes also previously unavailable on CD, will both arrive in stores October 28th on Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

BOTH ALBUMS HAVE BEEN DIGITALLY REMASTERED !

The evolution that began in 1976, of the classic Motown teen hitmaking group the Jackson 5 into the independent grown-ups known forever after on Epic Records as the Jacksons - was a transition that did not happen overnight. But there is universal agreement that by the time they released their third album for their new label, 1978's Destiny (with the worldwide hits "Blame It On The Boogie" and "Shake Your Body"), followed by 1980's Triumph, the first RIAA platinum album of their career - both LPs self-produced for the first time, and (mainly) self-penned- the transition was complete.

"Three decades after its initial release," writes Ernest Hardy of Destiny, "it’s still fresher - more potent, more substantive within its sturdy R&B/pop structure - than most of what you hear playing on the radio or streaming on the net today." In honor of its 30th anniversary, DESTINY, including two bonus tracks of rare 12-inch disco mixes previously unavailable on CD, and TRIUMPH, with three bonus tracks of rare 12-inch mixes also previously unavailable

on CD, will both arrive in stores September 02nd on Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

DESTINY and TRIUMPH represent the first remastered expanded editions ever issued by Legacy on the Jacksons, from their catalog of seven original studio and live albums on Epic between 1976 (The Jacksons) and 1989 (2300 Jackson Street). They follow the February 2008 release of the two-disc CD+DVD 25th anniversary expanded edition of Michael Jackson's THRILLER, which has sold over 2 million copies worldwide so far this year. Michael, celebrating his 50th birthday on August 29th, and the Jacksons will be among the focal points of Universal/Motown's 50th anniversary campaign this fall.

DESTINY & TRIUMPH - EXPANDED EDITIONS: Releases dates:
September 02nd, 2008: Circuit City only
October 28th, 2008: Global release date for both CD's (Pre-orders [Amazon]: Destiny / Triumph)

Remasterisation:
Mark Wilder remastered Destiny and Triumph - Expanded Editions at Sony Music Studios in New York City.

Grammy Award winner sound engineer Mark Wilder Wilder is known for his state-of-the-art work on some major recordings released by Legacy Recordings and Sony BMG (From Louis Armstrong to Herbie Hancock, including Billie Holiday...). He also mastered some of James Brown's and Hank Williams' original albums. He recently worked on Alicia Keys' set As I Am.

Destiny & Triumph - Expanded Editions have sure been well taken care of: Wilder, the music lover, respects recordings' soul. This love for music is remarkably showcased in those new editions of The Jacksons' instant classics.

Now, rediscover the brilliance of the Jacksons' sound: it's all there: two timeless albums plus a selection of rare mixes and first-class remastering designed for your listening pleasure.

Notes:
Each booklet comes with special notes and essays by music and film critic Ernest Hardy.
Below are selected quotes of those essays:

Destiny:
From the opening cascading, thumping bass-line of "Blame It On The Boogie" - an ode to the transcendent joys of dancing, to the powers of the beat and the groove to transport, hypnotize, and illuminate - all the way to the closing notes of the achingly melancholy, nakedly prescient mid-tempo groover "That's What You Get (For Being Polite)" ("Jack still cries day and night / Jack's not happy with his life… / He tries so hard to give a lot / He wants to be what he is not…"), Destiny is a flawless genre-bending R&B/pop/disco album. Three decades after its initial release, it's still fresher - more potent, more substantive within its sturdy R&B/pop structure - than most of what you hear playing on the radio or streaming on the net today.

Triumph:
(...) The album's real highlight is "This Place Hotel" (formerly "Heartbreak Hotel".) A multi-layered, dense but uncluttered, tempo and mood shifting track that flips from outwardly menacing to inwardly anguished, it's one of the group's all-time best performances and productions, a clanging and claustrophobic tale of paranoia and romantic betrayal. ("We came to this place, where the vicious dwell / And found that wicked women run this strange hotel / There was Sefra and Sue / Every girl that I knew / And my baby said love is through…") The song's poetically detailed emotional horror show unfolds through nuanced sonic textures and lyric complexities that clearly foreshadow Michael's solo work on Thriller.

I bought these at Circuit City yesterday. I don't notice much of a difference in quality, really... although the original Destiny and Triumph CDs didn't suffer from bad sound anyways, so maybe I just don't have great ears.

I haven't listened to the remixes on the Destiny album, but the disco mixes on the Triumph album don't sound much different from the regular versions. They sound the same with a bit of extra instrumentation on top.

I will be buying these this weekend. I just wish they had added some unreleased tracks and an extended version of That's What You Get For Being Polite

The sound quality on these are 100000x better!!! You guys better hurry up and get them. They have a list price of 11.99, but they are on sale for 6.99. I'm not sure how long it'll last though...

My local circuit city sold out the day after they came out. I don't know how many they got in but there were none left.

I got mine today.. And I must say.. I did NOT regret it!!! I take it all back.. This re-release is a must have!! The sound is sooooooooooo clear.. I love this remastered edition. :D

so it sems that those sets are successful in the US.
That's good news ;)

Really???? Then I have to buy them! I adore these albums and one thing is true that Michael (and his brothers) make quality music so we have to listen them only in good quality!:yes:

I love these albums too!
Time waits for noone on Triumph is one of my fave song!!! :wub::yes:
i am also thinking of buying it and Kinga, i have just checked www.cdpince.hu they have it for like 9,5 EUR.

I got mine today.. And I must say.. I did NOT regret it!!! I take it all back.. This re-release is a must have!! The sound is sooooooooooo clear.. I love this remastered edition. :D

Me too :)

Anyone know if there's plans for any of the other albums to be remastered?

I not only got both of the remastered Jacksons albums at Circuit City today, I also found a copy of Got To Be There for $6.99 at FYE. It was sold as used but was actually a brand new sealed copy.

CRAP! I'll be getting them next weekend when I go shopping :yes:
I didn't think I would need them but after hearing what you guys say.....
I GOTTA GET THEM!!!! lol
I just loooooooove their music sooooo much!!!!! It's so WONDERFUL lol

Why does it say on Amazon that the release date for these has been pushed back to Jan 27, 2009?

I'm not too worried about it since I already got these from Circuit City, But why do the release dates for MJ related things always get pushed back? First the Thriller book and now these.

I just got a copy of Destiny. They brought back the original FULL artwork that was on the front and back of the vinyl sleeve. The music is more clear!

Well after reading everything and those press releases I think they seem really great and you guys got me interested in them. I thought well I know am going to buy them eventually so I just got them today! There were already in a 2 for £10 in HMV which was really good considering they're technically new released, or shall we say 're releases'. And they were the only copies there too.
I got my student discount so they were both like £4.50 each, compared how how much you guys in the US's cost it's more but stuff's always way more expensive here anyway. I thought I got a good deal anyways=)
I think they’re great releases and have to agree the sound is absolutely amazing they sound so rich and full, I just put them on my ipod and I can honestly hear sounds in the background that I had not heard before. Some things are just clearer too just listen to how clear and gorgeous that acoustic guitar sounds on the song Destiny. They sound better than the remasterers that were made for 'The Very Best Of' album. I like how the artwork has been slightly revised and as advertised expanded, with the little synopses on the back cover. I suggest to get them if they’re a good price as they’re nice to have and they do sound fantastic. Also have you noticed that the Destiny album has a barcode sticker on the back cover as the paper insert doesn't have a barcode printed on it! And I don't mean the ones HMV stick over the barcodes either. I guess they forgot to include them on the templates before they were printed. !Lv x

Last edited:
I have not seen this release before also... Just a few tracks from the other albums remastered.... Please SONY Legacy just release remastered version of the complete albums.... not every time compilation with just 3 new remastered tracks.

http://store.phillysoulclassics.com/Playlist-The-Very-Best-of-the/A/B001M6FWDQ.htm

the_jacksons_playlist.jpg

Last edited:
So did anyone end up getting the expanded versions of Destiny and Triumph? If so, can you tell me if they have been noticeably remastered or sound different from the old CD releases in any way?

Also, I noticed "The Jacksons," "Goin' Places," "Live!," and "Victory" all had re-releases on the "Sbme Special Markets" label in 2008.

Does anyone have these releases or know if they are any different from the previous CD releases in terms of sound quality?

The original 1990 CDs have very low volume and kinda poor remastering (if you can even call it that) IMO.

where to buy it cheap?

living in austria

Also, I noticed "The Jacksons," "Goin' Places," "Live!," and "Victory" all had re-releases on the "Sbme Special Markets" label in 2008.

Does anyone have these releases or know if they are any different from the previous CD releases in terms of sound quality?

The original 1990 CDs have very low volume and kinda poor remastering (if you can even call it that) IMO.

they only exist in japan???!

Back