The Jacksons Variety Show - Who Watched These?

Re: The Jacksons Variety show, who watch them?

I have seen clips on YT. I would love to see the whole series!

I remember back in the 90s when I was watching it on the German SAT1 and realized one day there would be no more episodes I couldn't help but crying....
Back in the late 1970s many acts had a variety show. They were all pretty much the same, lol. They cancelled each other out. So the variety show died of overexposure.

I do love the variety shows. I know Michael didn't like them, but they were entertaining to me. I have them on DVD. Some of their outfits in the opening numbers are really crazy, but other times they're cool. Michael was right when the humor was really sketched out and the script was extremely played out and acted badly. No offense to the other Jacksons, but some of them acted like it was a school play instead of a television show. I sometimes wish it was a little more candid like the Carol Burnett show. I still love watching her.

I do love the variety shows. I know Michael didn't like them, but they were entertaining to me. I have them on DVD. Some of their outfits in the opening numbers are really crazy, but other times they're cool. Michael was right when the humor was really sketched out and the script was extremely played out and acted badly. No offense to the other Jacksons, but some of them acted like it was a school play instead of a television show. I sometimes wish it was a little more candid like the Carol Burnett show. I still love watching her.
Most of the variety shows were like that. They probably had the same writers, lol. Carol Burnett was actually an actress & comidienne, not just a current popular musical act. Here's some of the acts who had a show

The Captain and Tennille
Barbra Mandrell & The Mandrell Sisters
Donny and Marie
Tony Orlando & Dawn
Glen Campbell
John Denver
Sammy Davis Jr. (although his was more like a talk show)

Plus there was shows like Carol Burnett, Richard Pryor, Hee Haw, Dean Martin, Lawrence Welk, Flip Wilson, The Grand Ole Opry, Bob Hope, and many others. The 70s were overrun with these programs. So they died out. Dolly Parton tried to bring it back in the 1980s, but it didn't work.

i think the jackson variety show should be release on DVD :) :yes: that be so :cool:

I love watching these variety shows, I know Michael didn't like doing them but I find them great fun to watch. Much better than the crap you get on TV nowadays IMO

They can't really do variety show's anymore because there aren't enough talented people around to do them, lol.

I love variety shows for the muical numbers performed. Depending on your field, that's what one's variety show should have been centered around. Carol Burnett was and is a comedian and she had a cast of professional comedians. With the Jacksons, they should have left those corny ass sketches at the front door and just done musical numbers with guest stars. The best part of the shows is Michael's solo tap numbers.

But it is amusing to watch the corniness of the sketches, lol. Some of them were actually funny.

Michael would be killer with a variety show which he actually had control of though. Can you imagine? With talent like his it could be one of the greatest variety show's of all time.

After reading this thread last night, I went to try to find the shows on VHS or DVD. I couldn't find them anywhere.

What I found was an cool article about how the show got started and when it ended.

The article was called: Summer Variety Shows of the 70s, Part Two

http://www.tvparty.com/variety3b.html

It had a few YouTube video clips of the shows.

I got caught up in looking at the other videos that followed in the 3rd embedded YouTube clip and watched a lot of videos about Michael's dancing.

There was this one with Christina Aguilera's "Dirty" playing in the background and the video was called:

Michael Jackson is DIRTY *In a Sexy way*

There were quite a few of them showcasing how sexy Michael dances. All the videos I chose to watch were very well done.

There was this one that only had clips of Michael with different women...like Madonna, Brooke, Siedah, etc., etc.

Didn't much care for that one.:D

Just thought I'd share my excitement of reading about The Variety Shows and looking at those videos.

^^^^^^They've never been officially released. The've only been available as bootlegs. I don't see it being released, the "humor" is rather dated. I assume NBC owns the footage. They've released Barbra Striesand specials on DVD and the Richard Pryor Show as well. There's never been any type of video released of The Jacksons/Jackson 5 even in the VHS days. Even their albums tended to be ignored.

^^ That sucks, doesn't it? Oh well. I've got them in pretty good quality, but they ought to release them anyway. Heck, a lot of things should be released.

^^^^^^They've never been officially released. The've only been available as bootlegs. I don't see it being released, the "humor" is rather dated. I assume NBC owns the footage. They've released Barbra Striesand specials on DVD and the Richard Pryor Show as well. There's never been any type of video released of The Jacksons/Jackson 5 even in the VHS days. Even their albums tended to be ignored.

CBS aired it. Maybe I could write them a note.

Thanks rockstar. I stopped searching after I started watching those YouTube videos. I was wrong about not finding them anywhere.

The second one is the best price, but hard to tell if the quality is the best over the higher priced ones.

I'll think about it and figure out which one to order from.

CBS aired it. Maybe I could write them a note.
Oh, I didn't really remember the network, lol. But whoever owns them should put it out. If they don't think it would sell in stores, then release them on an infomercial like with the Midnight Special performances or Dean Martin roasts. It costs less to put out that way for the owners. The closest the shows have come to being released was a little snippet of "Stepping Out" on that old videotape The Legend Continues.

Wait, how? Where?! lol seriously...

You'd have to order them bootleg, from one of those MJ DVD sites.

I have it on DVD. yeah, the scketches are silly, nad cheesy, but the performances were off the hook. Like the "I shot the Sherriff" bit. I reminded me so much of Smooth Criminal, for some reason. That was one of his best perfomances to me, and he was only like 17 or 18 at the time. I also like , Puttin' on the Ritz, and Come on get Happy, OMG ! so awesome. I actually downloaded those performances on my ipod. :punk:

I never saw them only clips. i been thinking about checking them out when i get a chance and probably review them.

Back