The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon

From a fan: Munchkette, MJstar.com

Often heard that. I just ask myself the question, when did Michael Jackson EVER charge fans for a photo, and a conversation? NEVER. Apart from the 'Invincible' signing, he was always willing to speak to fans free of charge without him going 'Oh yeah, nice chat and all but $30 please.' I understand that he has to make money or whatever, but come on.

EDIT: Just realised after typing this I was thinking out loud. Not a popular opinion I imagine.. :ph34r:

I loved watching the videos and reading the article.
Thanks to everyone for sharing. :girl_butterfly:

Lol at the nice interview and then followed by guests talking about what crap the event was :D

WOW! That is so unfair to those that already bought the book especially and were told they had to do it again if they want to see MJs clothes. WTF? I noticed the fans saying this on video too. SMH

Often heard that. I just ask myself the question, when did Michael Jackson EVER charge fans for a photo, and a conversation? NEVER.

He did a paid event in Japan (in 2007, I think) where people paid some crazy amounts just for a minute and a photo with him.

Yep, I remember that MJ Japan thing where fans paid to meet him. But, at least the fans new in advance what they were in for and those who paid wanted too. But, the fans meeting Bush only new of the rules after they got there and some had already bought their books. That's the sucky part!

"To make matters worse Bush brought his photographers along with him to Forest Lawn so he could be photographed holding his book outside Michael's resting place next to fans, talk about SHAMELESS profiteering!
And it's not even like Bush NEEDS the money."

Can somebody verify this? I haven't seen any photos of him holding his book @Forest Lawn, is the photo in his book?

Last edited:
^^

He was there last Sunday and fans who was there wrote about it on their facebooks. Bush actually answered them under one of those posts. I´m not sure if it´s okay to post what was being said.

EXPLANATION: Blackrope/MJstar.com
Me and Michael Bush, he realy took his time to answer question's and take photo's, he realy has nice story's about MJ an them working together.
Photo:
dsc0940c.jpg

This is what he singed in the book,
Photo:
dsc0959pc.jpg

In the beginning you could not get in if you did not buy the book, that is true, but that is what a promotion signing is about, but at the end everybody who was left could get in and talk to Michael Bush and he even signed other things not only the book, he even went on a group photo.
This was in Amsterdam, Hard Rock Cafe.

Just read the book and look at the photo's it tells a lot about the relationship between MJ and Michael Bush......
Or better go 2 a book signing and talk to the man himself......

Oh and for the people who want to know and don't judge before they know what they are talking about, he also told us the he alway's made multiple copy's of the clothes and that some of the clothes MJ used, Mj gave back 2 Michael Bush, signed and al, Michael Bush told us he gave some to the Jullian's auction, and he also gave a lot to the estate to preserve for the future so that the clothes don't get lost.

I got the book today and the pictures are beautiful. I haven't read it yet but looked at the pictures. I did read the end when he showed what Michael was buried in and how he was actually asked to dress Michael. That broke my heart because I couldn't imagine doing that. So hard and they weren't sure what shoes to dress him in but Latoya told him to put his dancing shoes on because Michael would want that. He also said that Michael told him once that if anything happened to him he didn't want to have the glove on. The glove was for Billie Jean. The crown that the kids put on top of the casket was what Dennis had made. I think it's great that Michael's style is shown in this book.

One of the things I loved about this book was the detail described about the history of the clothes.

Not that I am surprised, but I wasn't really aware of how calculated the choosing of the designs of the clothing was. I mean, we are all pretty familiar with his process in regards to his music and short films, and work in the studio, but I didn't really realize that it was the same with his costumes. It's incredible! MJ paid attention to so much detail and everything was so planned out. I mean, the quarter sewn into his Smooth Criminal tie so it would swing the proper way while he did his spins...I mean, really?? Michael, you are too amazing for words!

He was the ultimate showman in EVERYTHING he did. What a genius.

I read the book now and I think it is great. I would recommend it and Joe Vogel's book to anybody wanting to know about Michael. Just like Joe's book it shows how hard Michael worked and how he was involved in everything. Everything he did had a purpose. I think because he knew Michael for so long that he also humanized him. Michael comes across like a regular person even though he was the most famous person in the world. The last chapter was hard to read. It always is you know.

This is a wonderful book! I highly recommend it. If you like to get to know some "behind the scenes" stories and anecdotes then you wont be disapointed. The book is sincere and the large pictures are brilliant; very high quality.
Bush manages to keep a playful and funny tone throughout the book and his love and respect for Michael comes across easily :)

my first post in while.... been reading everyday and lurking... :p

I just noticed my join date is changed.. huh? ive been here since 03 I think

I thought it was funny how Michael got Bush to come on stage and be part of the show. I also thought it was funny how in the 2001 MSG shows Michael requested the jacket be black and not red. When Bush was putting it on him Michael said "It's supposed to be red" but he was joking. I would have fallen for that and be terrified I made a mistake lol.

I have a question to ask him but I am not sure. It was something he said in the book that I keep wondering about.

I just noticed today that Amazon is no longer selling this book directly. Someone who bought the book is saying it is not what it was advertised. I'm guessing it's someone questing the authenticity of the autographs as one review mentions that concern. Intriguing.

Oh Oh. ^^Hopefully people buy the book for the wonderful costumes and not whether the autographs are real.

It is still on Amazon and questions about the auction or autographs should have nothing to do with a review of the book itself. I didnt see any Bad reviews at all .. all 4 and 5 stars and i would be highly suspicious of anyone giving the book a bad review.

It's back to being sold directly again. But for a while it had a message saying that someone complained the book was not as advertised and it was only available from sellers other than Amazon. I also saw a review saying the autographs were fake. There's no trace of any of this now it seems.

Edit: Actually the negative review is still there and mentions fake autographs. It's on the right hand side.

Re: Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon [Hardcover]

Michael was like the general of the music industry and dressed like one :)

I was at the book signing in San Francisco yesterday and had a chance to ask Michael Bush a few questions, including about the auction and signatures. Here's the summary:

I asked about the auction - when he donated the costumes to the estate and why he sold some of the iconic pieces. He confirmed that he donated clothes to the estate before the Juliens catalog was put together. He basically gave the estate the first choice to pick whatever they wanted, and they did. Why they didn't take Bad tour clothes or HIStory teaser costume - he doesn't know. He said that they may have copies of some things as stage clothes was manufactured in 2-3 copies, but he doesn't know for sure. He gave them what they asked for. (It seems like he donated Smooth Criminal lean shoes to the estate, because when I asked about them, he said the estate has them.) When I asked who made the selection - the executors, the kids or Katherine - he said he didn't know. He assumed it was a collective choice. Overall it seemed to me, that he is not in close contact with the estate. Some fans depict Bush as Branca's friend, ally, co-conspirator and whatnot - he isn't. From his answers it seemed that he communicated with the estate about the book and the auction through some formal representative, and he doesn't have much information about what they have in possession.

I asked about the autograph controversy. Bush declined to comment and said that he was only there to sign the book and didn't want to touch that. I said, "Fair enough," but I also told him that I thought it was in his best interest to clear this out, because some fans are boycotting and harming the book due to the controversy, and the book is very important for Michael's legacy. He said he understood, and that the situation would be cleared through proper and official sources. (I won't hold my breath though. But we'll see). Overall he seemed just a simple and nice guy to me.

I also asked some of my questions from the Q&A thread: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...with-Michael-Bush-Submit-your-questions/page5

I asked if it's true that museums have rejected Michael's clothes (as was stated in ICONIC magazine). Bush said yes, due to different reasons, including legal issues and the fact that the clothes should be preserved under very strict temperature/light conditions which not all museums are ready to provide. So it seemed more like technical issues than disdain for MJ (which I feared it might have been).

I asked what happened to the trial suits and if there's any chance that they'll be featured in a book or exposition in future. Bush said they are not in his possession. He said Katherine asked for 4 of the suits - for her to keep. A few of the suits Michael kept, so they are probably in the estate's possession now. He also said that when he communicated with the estate about the book, they requested/advised not to include the trial suits in the book. He plans to release a 2nd edition/part 2 of the book though, and maybe he'll include them there. (I won't hold my breath for part 2 either, but who knows... He seemed to be pretty serious about it.)

I asked about the fencing suits and if Versace had anything to do with them. Bush said that Versace had absolutely nothing to do with them and was nowhere near. The idea of the fencing suit was theirs and Michael's, and it was developed by Bush and Tompkins. He says that maybe the rumor about Versace started because there is a photo of Michael and Versace together during the Dangerous tour.

I asked about the runes and funny letters in the HIStory teaser. Bush said they where Michael's idea and they didn't mean anything - he wanted something that doesn't belong to any particular language, so that no country could claim it and it would be equal for every fan in the world.

I asked if MJ's clothes ever didn't work as supposed to on stage, and if Michael got mad about it. Bush said that no, MJ always laughed it off, he was very nice and polite to the staff and didn't get anxious about things like this. He remembered an occasion when a button came off on MJ's gold HIStory suit, and Michael freaked out because it meant a flap right on his chest. But Bush quickly fixed it with some stapler.

I asked if Dennis was on tours with Michael - Bush said no, he didn't like to travel much, he stayed home and worked on new clothes while Bush helped MJ on the road. That way they made sure all fronts were covered.

Funny bit: He says when they went somewhere in the car with Michael, MJ always tried to make him sing karaoke. He used to say, "Come on, Bush, everybody sings in the shower!" Bush used to reply, "I don't. Don't make me sing, Michael."

He remembered that Michael used to buy books in different countries of the world. Because he couldn't do proper sightseeing, he flipped through books and looked at famous places there.

He said that his relationship with MJ was always more employer/employee than friends - for example, he usually didn't stay for dinners when he visited Michael in Neverland, etc. He did see a lot of Michael's life though, and he says that it was a hard life...

Last edited:
Back