The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon

^what do you mean bush design the lean? For my knowledge, Michael himself invented the lean(the dance move) and the lean shoes that designed for the stage performance is the collaboration of many people include Michael, which had been patented.

Vincent Patterson came up with the lean idea for the Smooth Criminal short film. Michael tasked Bush and Thompkins with designing the whole thing for the live version. They designed and built it and then presented it to Michael, who then patented it under all their names. Michael himself had no involvement in the design. They didn't know they were listed on the patent until they saw it later. The patent designs were only ever leaked online because someone forgot to keep up the payments to the patent company to keep it private. That's all according to the book.

Vincent Patterson came up with the lean idea for the Smooth Criminal short film. Michael tasked Bush and Thompkins with designing the whole thing for the live version. They designed and built it and then presented it to Michael, who then patented it under all their names. Michael himself had no involvement in the design. They didn't know they were listed on the patent until they saw it later. The patent designs were only ever leaked online because someone forgot to keep up the payments to the patent company to keep it private. That's all according to the book.
Funny how people now tried to take credits from Michael's work when Michael can't voice. Where are they back then?
In an Online Audio Chat - October 26, 2001
Michael was asked : How do you do that lean on the video to Smooth Criminal?
Michael: Oh, Smooth Criminal, well. That one happened ... it was in the middle of the shoot and it wasn't .. I choreographed it right at the moment. Took us an hour to execute it. It's a special effect that we kind of lean as far as we can and, uh, we let the conveyor belt do the rest.

So how does Michael peform it live on stage????

Well its all in Michaels patented shoes which allow the wearer to lean forwardly beyond there center of gravity. They have aspecially designed heel slot which can be detachably engaged with the hitch member by simply sliding the shoe wearer's foot forward, thereby engaging with the hitch member.

Last edited:
Michael Bush visited the Hard Rock Cafe in Amsterdam yesterday as part of his European book tour. It was really great to meet him and even though it was weird that at first they wouldn't let him sign my book 'cause I already bought it from Amazon instead of right on the spot out there, they told me to just not mention anything to Bush and he wouldn't notice. He was very nice, even a tad shy, and took his time to have a little chat. The displayed clothes were really cool to see and overall it was just a really cool experience to meet the man behind all the iconic outfits. :)

Promised I'd post some pictures in my previous post, so here you go!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Check out more on my website: http://www.biancavandam.com/book-signing-exhibition-by-michael-bush

Last edited:
Yeah Bush definitely designed the lean. I think he is just forgetting things like others have said. But don't let it put you off. The book is definitely worth getting for some beautiful pictures and stories. The section about This Is It is fascinating. It seems that Michael really wasn't keen on Zaldy's outfits. But despite the mistakes the book is a must buy. I just notice these things cos I'm really good at remembering dates of tours etc!

Thanks for the information. To be honest, the first thing I do with these types of books is to study the photos over and over, and then later on I read the content. I did the same with the Opus. I looked at all the photos over and over, and then weeks later, went through picking certain parts I wanted to read. I guess I will do the same with the Bush book. I guess many people read the whole thing from cover to cover.

Thanks for the information. To be honest, the first thing I do with these types of books is to study the photos over and over, and then later on I read the content. I did the same with the Opus. I looked at all the photos over and over, and then weeks later, went through picking certain parts I wanted to read. I guess I will do the same with the Bush book. I guess many people read the whole thing from cover to cover.

Believe me, it's really worth reading from cover to cover. Probably more than once. Every paragraph reveals something fascinating about Michael. I'm surprised that quotes and excerpts are not all over the internet yet, - the book is really a wealth of amazing details.

Believe me, it's really worth reading from cover to cover. Probably more than once. Every paragraph reveals something fascinating about Michael. I'm surprised that quotes and excerpts are not all over the internet yet, - the book is really a wealth of amazing details.

OK I will take your advice, but I know the first thing I will do is look at all the photos for a time.

I bought mine yesterday and I already finished reading it!! I really really enjoyed the stories and behind-the
-scenes trivia. Although I would have preferred a novel ala Taraborelli and Jermaine.... but I know Bush's bio would have been the truest bio of MJ to shine and gleam the best out of all the MJ bios....

Annita about that photo above, does that mean that Bush is going to be in New York this week at some book signing? If that is the case, I will have to take a day off work and go there and ask him some very interesting questions in a very polite and professional way.

That's strange, because in this interview with MJJ Collectors Michael Bush said that MJ played a huge role in developing The Lean shoes:

MB: Well it wasn't a jacket. It was the anti-gravity board. He came to us and told us in record time we had to create something that allowed him to perform on stage while leaning forward at a 45 degree angle. There was no time to think about it, research or hire outside sources to consult. It was us and only us. And we did it with him of course. He played a huge role in developing it with us and it wasn't easy and no I won't give away our secret. It is patented and the patent is owned by Michael Jackson, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush. When that anti-gravity board and shoes worked on the stage for Michael with such precision as it did, you couldn't imagine how amazed we were ourselves.

Annita about that photo above, does that mean that Bush is going to be in New York this week at some book signing? If that is the case, I will have to take a day off work and go there and ask him some very interesting questions in a very polite and professional way.

Apparently, he was already there (October 12th.)

link: http://dressingmichaeljackson.com/press-releases/michael-jackson-designer-comes-to-new-york.html

what did you want to ask him, if its not a secret? :)

^^ Yippy, Yippy, good news. Thanks. Hopefully we will see something in a few years. We knew that the estate did not own everything, and that they cannot tell people what to do with what they own. The operative word here is "own."

Gee I wonder what state they will settle on... This will make XThunder very happy indeed.

Zhelva if you read this thread you will know exactly what I would ask him.

548880_375562822527272_908449321_n.jpg

Berlin - the place to be and Hard Rock Cafe Berlin thanks for making this is a day never to forget...!

Foreword of the book:

One of the most indelible impressions I have from my time working with Michael Jackson is the abounding creative energy he brought to every moment of his life. Michael never stopped recording melodies and beats, jotting down potential lyrics, and writing notes and plans for foundations, theme parks, stores, and every other manner of buisiness venture imaginable. He was also a prolific sketch artist, creating mini-masterpieces on paper, napkins, pilowcases, or anything that was in front of him. This limitless well of creativity is what fueled the most successful career in pop music history.

It would probalbly not come as much of surprise, then, that it was quite a challenge for Michael to find artists and musicans who could rise to the challenge of collaborationg and working with him to make his innovative visions a realtiy. Dennis Tompkins and Michal Bush are two such artists. Their unparalleld skill and vision formed the bedrock of a personal and professional relationship with Michael that endured over the course of their twenty-four-year of working together.

Michael dreamed up ideas that broke new ground in the world of fashion, breaking traditions and setting new trends that were copied the world over. He pushed the boundaries of conceptual fashion, and Tompkins and Bush were right with him finding new materials and using new technology to make each of the concepts a reality. Together they creates some of the most whimsical and memorable pieces of over the top rock fashion of the twentieth century-many of Michael`s most notable and iconic jackets, gloves, and accessoires that he wore during some of his most historical performances.

I am so pleasend to see a book that not only showcases this work, but also one that honors the creative partnership betwenn Michael Jackson, Dennis Thomkins and Michael Bush, the men behind Michael`s look.

John Branca

Michael Lee Bush interview at Hard Rock Cafe - Paris France

Interview by Richard Lecocq / directed by Saykou Diallo

Great interview explains a lot! I kind of chuckled hearing that CTE for them and MJ it meant See The Entertainer! Because See is spelled with a S not a C but, okay! lol I was kinda use to the Children of the Earth though. But, MJ cool with all meanings as long as it's positive! =)

Puppies for the blind, that's a good choice. Nice jacket he's wearing.

This is a silly question. How big is the book? A coffee table size book like the Opus? Or, just like a regular hardcover?

Coffee table, like most tribute editions. But a lot smaller than Opus (it was huge!) It's beautiful too.

Finally received my book and am so impressed by it, a quality item.

Here is a very nice review I found today. I wish more mainstream media reviewed "King of Style" instead of Sullivan's crap. Bush really did an admirable job in showing Michael's artistic ambition and style of work. I hope a lot of people buy his book.

Book Review: The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson by Michael Bush

Make no mistake, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson is more than a picture book. Insight Editions has put together a customarily well-designed, hardcover coffee table book. Yes, it’s loaded with great photographs depicting a wide array of the King of Pop’s elaborate wardrobe. These visuals will undoubtedly be the primary draw for Michael Jackson fans. But it must be noted that author Michael Bush tells the stories behind the clothing. Throughout the 204-page book, the man who spent 25 years (along with his late partner, Dennis Tompkins) designing iconic outfits for Jackson shares his personal experiences. Unlike an outside observer, Bush was there in the thick of it. The warmly remembered details of interacting with Jackson as both a colleague and a friend make this volume far more than a collection of amazing imagery.

Early on, Bush outlines the “Four Fs” of dressing Michael Jackson: Fit, Function, Fun, and First. That last one isn’t as self-explanatory as the former three, but it refers to the goal of never repeating the same design. Bush and his collaborators set out to create something new every time. Looking through the evidence collected throughout The King of Style, it’s hard to argue they didn’t succeed. Clearly the exception to the “first” rule was the famed rhinestone glove. We all know the white one, but detailed via a series of photos is a surprising variety of glove colors and designs used at different times. The amount of jackets and other items is astounding, ranging from relatively simple and elegant to the more outlandish get-ups Jackson was known for.

The stories are often quite detailed, such as the time Bush unwisely tried polishing a pair of Jackson’s worn Florsheim shoes. He describes the startling anger Jackson exhibited as he admonished him for potentially ruining the footwear’s stage-readiness. “The leather is worn the way I like it. And if you coat them in polish, the shoes will slip,” Jackson explained, making it clear that his harsh reaction was due to practical concerns. “If I fall and twist an ankle, we are all out of a job.” The Florsheims held an almost superstitious pull; they’re what he first learned to dance in. For the Captain EO film, the loafers weren’t appropriate for his sci-fi costume. To accommodate them, the soles were cut out of the high-top Reeboks he wore, so the Florsheims could be worn without being seen. Details like this run rampant throughout the book, making it a compelling read for serious fans.

Bush even shares examples of things that didn’t quite work. At one point, Jackson insisted on having a jacket made of paper currency designed. His advisors managed to talk him out of wearing it in public, but we get to see photographs of it. The “next glove,” as claimed by Bush, was a pair of leg guards that Jackson took to wearing. It’s interesting to read about the origins of these guards, but I’m not sure the general public really regards them as iconic at the same level as the glove or the red, zippered jacket. Regardless, they’re detailed here along with just about everything else Jackson was seen wearing on stage. There’s also a lot of interesting information about the “lean shoes” that Jackson used in concert to recreate the 45-degree lean from the “Smooth Criminal” video.

Bush was working on new designs right up until Jackson’s untimely passing in 2009. Some of the wardrobe for the never-realized This is It tour are on display. A rather touching final passage about the author’s own reaction to the news of Jackson’s death closes the book. This is a perfect example of why it’s so valuable that the book was written by someone closely connected to the man who wore the clothing. In the end, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson is a vivid portrait, in words and pictures, of what Jackson referred to as “wearable art.”

http://www.themortonreport.com/book...yle-dressing-michael-jackson-by-michael-bush/

Thanks for the video of Bush. Very informative.
I often wondered about the "CTE", and I love Michae'ls answer to it. :)

The jacket that Bush is wearing is fierce.

I love the CTE-part.....it ´s so Michael.. <3 <3 :) Those cte-shirts are some of my favourite-dresses that Michael had...the white one oooh :)

Michael Lee Bush interview at Hard Rock Cafe - Paris France

Interview by Richard Lecocq / directed by Saykou Diallo

From a fan: Munchkette, MJstar.com

The French fans tell the real story - they weren't allowed to go into the room where MJ's clothes were unless they bought Bush's book at the event. Even people who had bought the book already weren't allowed to get it signed by Bush unless they bought another one at the event.

He says it's all for love and charity but his actions belie his words, it's all BS, it's about money and greed end of story. It may have started off as an honourable tribute to his friend but it has actually turned into a horrible ugly mess in which he has ended up betraying his friend for money.

To make matters worse Bush brought his photographers along with him to Forest Lawn so he could be photographed holding his book outside Michael's resting place next to fans, talk about SHAMELESS profiteering!
And it's not even like Bush NEEDS the money.

Back