**The Official Blogthings and Quiz Thread**

Prejudice is a learned behavior some dont know any better?[/b]
racism is learnt, pre judging can be applied to different situations in my opinion its not limited to race/religion

I meant in every aspect race creed religion ...not all are like that
but with some...its a learned thing. Starts mostly at home. Not always
but more than not. Its sheer ignorance on the one teaching it to someone
else. thats how Ive seen it all the years Ive been around people of that
nature. Not nice to judge others either I get your meaning in that.
I love the way this forum brings people of different nations together.
cultures and languages all bind into one big family and thats how the
whole world should be but...sadly it is NOT unless those who arent of
said nature begins a chain reaction and teaches others so they can undo it.
Starting with the Children now and they shall learn to pass on good things. :flowers:

think of prejudice and everyday situations, like ur walking home late at night and someone is walking behind you who is wearing a hoody with his face covered, the obvious stereotype comes to mind and keep ur mind on alert, in that sense prejudice has had its role in mankinds ability to survive and steer clear from danger.

obvioly it has its negative aspects where pre judging is bad but it does serve other purposes too[/b]
well yeah lol appearance has got a lot to do with the way ppl see u at first look but usually when we use the word "prejudice" we mean having negative opinions about ppl of different races, nationalities, religions eso basically prejudiced is someone who judges negatively anyone with a different background and lifestyle than theirs.someone who will judge someone who is from a different race for example and label him as bad or stupid or etc etc without even know them. ppl who see the familiar as right and different as wrong are prejudiced.

i for one hate prejudice. i am totally against it. i know thats one of the things i could never be coz i strongly believe that all the ppl on earth are equal. now if i see a guy walking down the street at midnight dressed up like a ninja i will most def get scared lol but thats got nothing to do with being prejudiced. only with a fact that i dont like regular ninjas only ninja turtles :zformation:

think of prejudice and everyday situations, like ur walking home late at night and someone is walking behind you who is wearing a hoody with his face covered, the obvious stereotype comes to mind and keep ur mind on alert, in that sense prejudice has had its role in mankinds ability to survive and steer clear from danger.[/b]
true

And I can say that from personal experience (unfortunately) ... In my case, I got it bad with a large group of kids....and ever since, if I see any large groups coming towards me, I avoid them as well as I can. Call it fear or prejudice, it is like you said a way of trying to avoid danger.

You Are Not Prejudiced

prejudiced-3.jpg

Not only are you color blind, but you're also ethnicity blind, gender blind, and sexual orientation blind.
You don't judge someone until you truly know them. And even then, you're probably reluctant to judge.
You try to treat everyone equally. Everyone has a fair chance with you.
Good job - there's not a prejudiced bone in your body.

Are You Prejudiced?

http://www.blogthings.com/areyouprejudicedquiz/[/b]
Everyone is prejudice about something in life.

I meant in every aspect race creed religion ...not all are like that
but with some...its a learned thing. Starts mostly at home. Not always
but more than not. Its sheer ignorance on the one teaching it to someone
else. thats how Ive seen it all the years Ive been around people of that
nature. Not nice to judge others either I get your meaning in that.
I love the way this forum brings people of different nations together.
cultures and languages all bind into one big family and thats how the
whole world should be but...sadly it is NOT unless those who arent of
said nature begins a chain reaction and teaches others so they can undo it.
Starting with the Children now and they shall learn to pass on good things. :flowers:[/b]
People are prejudice in even these areas. YOu have some blacks who are prejudice to other blacks (light skin vs dark skin). You have some whites who are prejudice to people with pale skin and think they need to go in the sun and anyone who is "pale", they judge. SOme people are prejudice to certain religions like Muslims, Jev witness, etc. People do not think it is prejudice but it is.

well yeah lol appearance has got a lot to do with the way ppl see u at first look but usually when we use the word "prejudice" we mean having negative opinions about ppl of different races, nationalities, religions eso basically prejudiced is someone who judges negatively anyone with a different background and lifestyle than theirs.someone who will judge someone who is from a different race for example and label him as bad or stupid or etc etc without even know them. ppl who see the familiar as right and different as wrong are prejudiced.[/b]
Actually, judging by appearance is a form of prejudice too, and I'll give you an example ;) (one we've debated a lot this summer :lol: ) To many people, rockers are satanists, and to many people, satanists are evil in person. (I don't want to get into details AGAIN :lol: , but I want to mention it one more time - satanism is of various forms, it's not equal to devil worship). Now, rockers usually dress in black and wear pointed bracelets.
Now, if you walk down the street and see a guy dressed all in black and wearing pointed bracelets, I can assure you the majority of persons will either fear him or hate him thinking he's a satanist rocker; when the poor guy could very well be neither and that's simply the way he happened to dress that day; or it's his style.

So yeah, appearance doesn't make it right to judge others. However, as Chaos pointed out, it's sometimes beyond us to avoid it, it's in our instincts. And it's probably safer that way too. But it's still prejudice :flowers:

i for one hate prejudice. i am totally against it. i know thats one of the things i could never be coz i strongly believe that all the ppl on earth are equal.[/b]

:yes: :kickass: :clap:

maybe we are sometimes but its best to not be?
we can control it? some dont care to?[/b]
We can but we do not. Prejudice is also in judging someone who actions is different from yours. Look at Michael, many people are prejudice to they way he behaves. If Michael does not behave like everyone, they call him names and judge him. That is a form of prejudice as well.

exactly any prejudice is ignorance and taught and or learned somewhere
by someone some place no matter where you go in this world youre going to
run into people of that set mind and or way

People are prejudice in even these areas. YOu have some blacks who are prejudice to other blacks (light skin vs dark skin). You have some whites who are prejudice to people with pale skin and think they need to go in the sun and anyone who is "pale", they judge. SOme people are prejudice to certain religions like Muslims, Jev witness, etc. People do not think it is prejudice but it is.[/b]
yes it is and its very wrong too.

Actually, judging by appearance is a form of prejudice too, and I'll give you an example ;) (one we've debated a lot this summer :lol: ) To many people, rockers are satanists, and to many people, satanists are evil in person. (I don't want to get into details AGAIN :lol: , but I want to mention it one more time - satanism is of various forms, it's not equal to devil worship). Now, rockers usually dress in black and wear pointed bracelets.
Now, if you walk down the street and see a guy dressed all in black and wearing pointed bracelets, I can assure you the majority of persons will either fear him or hate him thinking he's a satanist rocker; when the poor guy could very well be neither and that's simply the way he happened to dress that day; or it's his style.

So yeah, appearance doesn't make it right to judge others. However, as Chaos pointed out, it's sometimes beyond us to avoid it, it's in our instincts. And it's probably safer that way too. But it's still prejudice :flowers:
:yes: :kickass: :clap:[/b]
yes ur right maybe that another type of prejudice. BUT in this type the "victim" of prejudice CHOSE by himself/herself to be judged negatively by their appearance. it was THEIR choice (knowing the social standards). for example if some woman wears a skirt thats showing of much of her body and a shirt that does the same and she also wears LOTS of make up then u cant blame the ppl that will assume shes a ho ;) know what i mean ?
but if a black guy gets judged negatively by the color of his skin then u cant say it was his fault and he could have avoided it right ? so on the one hand u got prejudice that is BAD BAD BAD because the victims cannot be blamed for it and on the other u got prejudice that can be excused and kind of acceptable (if i may say) because the victims were very much to blame for other ppl's attacks and negative thoughts about them.

Yes and thats where the ignorance comes in?[/b]
exactly. :clap:

This is why I say, EVERYONE is prejudice about SOMETHING. You may not judge race but you may judge people in other areas/situtations. If someone has spike hair, and you say, "what is the heck wrong with them"? This is a prejudice in a fashion situation. If you like date a skinny person compare to fat person, you have a preference that is still a form of prejudice. I got in a big debate over this issue in one time. In the end, the person had to agree. :yes:

Heres one example of how people teach children to be prejudice...
my daughters class went on a school trip
to a temple of worship
to learn about this temples culture and such
a form had to be signed giving them permission to go but some parents wouldnt allow their children to attend the school trip because they felt their children didnt need to know about such stuff
you wonder why children frown on things when they turn older? that is an example of not allowing them to understand others and their cultures and or religions.
if they arent exposed to things enough to learn of other peoples customs and or religions let alone about their races how will they know anything and or learn to respect and appreciate?

This is why I say, EVERYONE is prejudice about SOMETHING. You may not judge race but you may judge people in other areas/situtations. If someone has spike hair, and you say, "what is the heck wrong with them"? This is a prejudice in a fashion situation. If you like date a skinny person compare to fat person, you have a preference that is still a form of prejudice. I got in a big debate over this issue in one time. In the end, the person had to agree. yes.gif

cuz ignorance is bliss? a lot do it but some try not to at least
its a start in the right direction? :)

yes ur right maybe that another type of prejudice. BUT in this type the "victim" of prejudice CHOSE by himself/herself to be judged negatively by their appearance. it was THEIR choice (knowing the social standards). for example if some woman wears a skirt thats showing of much of her body and a shirt that does the same and she also wears LOTS of make up then u cant blame the ppl that will assume shes a ho ;) know what i mean ?
but if a black guy gets judged negatively by the color of his skin then u cant say it was his fault and he could have avoided it right ? so on the one hand u got prejudice that is BAD BAD BAD because the victims cannot be blamed for it and on the other u got prejudice that can be excused and kind of acceptable (if i may say) because the victims were very much to blame for other ppl's attacks and negative thoughts about them.[/b]

True and I agree - up to a point ;) The example with the ho is also a matter of self-respect - you can't expect others to respect you if you don't respect yourself. HOWEVER - I don't see why I should dress in a way that society considers safe. I don't think being dressed in black is a reason to be considered a threat :huh: really now. Maybe my case is a bit too personal, but I, at least, refuse to judge people by their clothing or make-up. It's not that I don't understand why others judge them - it's just that I don't practice this form of prejudice myself :flowers:

Anyways, I can see your point. And I'm perfectly aware that there are forms of prejudice which don't depend on you (like your race) and forms of prejudice caused by your own actions (like your clothing). What I meant to say is that neither of them is right. People should learn to be more open-minded from all points of view.

Maybe that's human nature and we can't fight it, but I least we can try, right? :flowers:

This is why I say, EVERYONE is prejudice about SOMETHING. You may not judge race but you may judge people in other areas/situtations. If someone has spike hair, and you say, "what is the heck wrong with them"? This is a prejudice in a fashion situation. If you like date a skinny person compare to fat person, you have a preference that is still a form of prejudice. I got in a big debate over this issue in one time. In the end, the person had to agree. :yes:[/b]
there u go :kickass2:

Its all in the heart and how you view others?
At least in my opinion I feel if you start with
yourself then youre having somethng to being
from and try not to be that way?

Maybe that's human nature and we can't fight it, but I least we can try, right? :flowers:[/b]
no

(sorry i couldnt help it)

exactly any prejudice is ignorance and taught and or learned somewhere
by someone some place no matter where you go in this world youre going to
run into people of that set mind and or way[/b]
This is why God say, "Judge thy not for who are we to judge". No one is quailified to judge no one but we do anyway.

This is also true in economics. Rich vs Poor vs Working Class. I say this about Celebs. Are some non rich people really get upset over people who mess up because they made a mistake or it is because they have a thing against rich and famous people? I said this in people who judge celebs. Some people seem to be more upset that these people are rich compare to the mistakes they make. I say this because these same non famous people can see another non famous person doing the same thing as Britney, Lindsey, Paris and will NOT do a thing and not get upset; however, let a rich and famous person do it, and we will see all kinds of comments from those non famous people.

True and I agree - up to a point ;) The example with the ho is also a matter of self-respect - you can't expect others to respect you if you don't respect yourself. HOWEVER - I don't see why I should dress in a way that society considers safe. I don't think being dressed in black is a reason to be considered a threat :huh: really now. Maybe my case is a bit too personal, but I, at least, refuse to judge people by their clothing or make-up. It's not that I don't understand why others judge them - it's just that I don't practice this form of prejudice myself :flowers:

Anyways, I can see your point. And I'm perfectly aware that there are forms of prejudice which don't depend on you (like your race) and forms of prejudice caused by your own actions (like your clothing). What I meant to say is that neither of them is right. People should learn to be more open-minded from all points of view.

Maybe that's human nature and we can't fight it, but I least we can try, right? :flowers:[/b]
about that specific example i gave : because u got most of the prostitutes dressed up in a way like that u assume that the woman thats walking down the street dressed up the exact same way could be a prostitute. most of the times that is true indeed. of course theres always a possibility for a mistake. so in this case its got nothing to do with u being open minded or not. more with u being aware of the way most if not all prostitutes are dressed up.
if i see a guy in the street with some weird ass haircut and weird ass clothes imma assume that hes a junkie or a punk or whatever (depending on his clothes) having in mind tho that theres also a possibility that hes a normal guy like u and me who just happened to be dressed up like that for whatever reason

This is also true in economics. Rich vs Poor vs Working Class. I say this about Celebs. Are some non rich people really get upset over people who mess up because they made a mistake or it is because they have a thing against rich and famous people? I said this in people who judge celebs. Some people seem to be more upset that these people are rich compare to the mistakes they make. I say this because these same non famous people can see another non famous person doing the same thing as Britney, Lindsey, Paris and will NOT do a thing and not get upset; however, let a rich and famous person do it, and we will see all kinds of comments from those non famous people.[/b]

i think this has nothing to do with prejudice at all. this is more of an envy. it's human nature to want what we do not have. why do people pick on celebrities? bec. we see them as beautiful and famous and all that stuff and we see them as being a notch higher than all of us. like they are little gods and goddesses.they are up there. they are stars! that's what sets them apart from ordinary souls like u and me. that is the reason why an ordinary person who makes the same mistake as britney is not given as much attention as when she does them. it's an assurance that these people-celebrities as they are, are no different from u and me. they make mistakes and are magnified bec. they are larger thank life!

going back to the topic..prejudice is a learned thing .yeah parents do have a lot of responsibility in forming bias among kids. people's opinions have to do on how they were raised and by some unpleasant experience that they may have encountered in the past. i think wecan overcome these by just following the golden rule--y'know "do not do unto others what u do not want others do unto u"

we all aren't perfect. It's more about how you handle and think about those first judgments about a person. We ALL "size" people up when we meet someone. But one must realize that our first perceptions aren't truth. That's where prejudice comes in. In my head, I might be wary about someone who dresses in all black and listen to metal...but that perception shouldn't deprive me from getting to know that person and proving those first thoughts wrong. There's this one guy in my dorm who is REALLY tall, really threatening-looking...he wears all black and walks with a cane just because he wants to...he wheres feather (pirate) hats sometimes as well and has extra long blonde hair (a la Bo Bice? lol)....but he's a real cool guy! My first impressions didn't stop me from getting to know him. :yes:

Back