Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Christina

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Beyoncé

Votes: 28 6.4%
  • Pink

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
In my opinion a singer has to fulfill certain criterias to be able to be called a king/queen of pop (or any other style of music).

For me it's important if I'd call s.o. a king/queen, he/she has to:
- have the capability to create music on his/her own, e.g. song writing, composing, perhaps producing, choreographing (I don't mean the capability to do a dance routine in a spectacular perfect way - it's about creativity!)
- be long time in music business, at least 20 years
- be formative and taking influence on ather singers
- have huge record sales
- be well known wordlwide - not just in industrial countries (at least a song of him/her)

I honestly think, that's why Michael has this title justifiably!
For me it's not enough, to fulfill 2-3 criterias, e.g. Madonna. She's a very long time in music business, sold and sells millions of copies and has/had a certain influence on others. But the main reason, why I can't call her a queen of pop is that she's not known for creating her own music. She has songwriters, composers.. I don't want to sound rude, but for me it's a sign of a loss of creativity (Please correct me if I'm that wrong as I'm not that much into Madge's art).
Let's take a look at Britney. When she was on her peak she sold millions of CDs, filled stadiums, won awards worldwide. But she wasn't long enough at the top and also her own creativity skills aren't that concise. I'm aware that she wrote some of her songs, especially on her last album, but did she succeed?
Mariah and Whitney have (respectively had) amazing voices and great success at the CD stores. But again, for me that's not enough to justify a queen of pop.
I could go on with the singers listed above similarly but I think my point of view is clearly stated. :)

So judging by my criterias there is no female analog to Michael - and I don't say this cuz I'm a MJ-fan!
I'm not really a fan of Lady GaGa but in my eyes she has the possibility to be called a queen of pop if she's able to keep reigning popular music culture for the next decade(s).

The problem with your theory is that Madonna does do all the things you refer to as requirements - she writes and produces her music with help from song writers and producers just as MJ did. The man was brilliant but he didn't do it all himself all the time. Just like Madonna, he sought out producers to help polish and create. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not comparing MJ's creativity to Madonna or them to each other in general (in any way shape or form), I'm only trying to correct your misinformation. Madonna is much more an artist than she has ever been given credit for. She is very hands on and there isn't a line or note that she hasn't played a part in. You admit yourself that you don't know much about Madonna's music or artistry so it's fine, but there is NO ONE who meets the criteria of Queen of Pop more than Madonna. And besides, it's not no longer even debatable - the title is hers. For 30 years she has kept the attention of the world through her music, videos, film, and tours. The media has been calling Madonna "The Queen of Pop" for years. Just as MJ is the King, Madonna is Queen. They are different as night and day but both have monumental success, achievements and pop culture impact that is simply unmatched and undeniable. Gaga could go on to outsell Madonna (not likely) and still wouldn't be eligible for the title (it can't be taken away). Madonna did it first and did it better. Every pop star today tries to do it like Madonna and takes pages out of her playbook but no one even comes close. They pale in comparison. Madonna broke through barriers for women in music and business, challenged society norms and roles for women, gays, and sexuality - and all through her music and imagery. She took risk when it was true career suicide and lived to tell the tale. Madonna's career and legacy is only going to grow stronger as the years pass by. It's already begun, but one day historians will look back and realize the true scope and impact of Madonna's legend. Gaga and her fans think she's some sort of innovator and rebel who took M's throne for as little as uttering the word "gay" in a song, but Madonna literally danced with gays and lesbians in clubs and wrote an anthem about the experience in a time where the world was gripped with homophobia and the HIV/AIDS scare. I don't mean to preach or anything, I just want to inform and maybe help you understand why Madonna is the Queen of Pop in the media and general publics eyes (as evidenced here).

Last edited:
While most would say Madonna is the Queen of Pop and I would probably agree with the success side of things and she isn't even my favourite out of that list, but I wouldn't say she is the Queen just as Michael is the King just for the simple fact a few different artists are called the Queen of Pop by the media and whatnot but no one says different artists are the King, fan or not and if they do they would be laughed at. However without a doubt Madonna has been the most successful of the candidates in maintaining her success.

I think the fact we have to have a thread like this shows there isn't really an undisputed Queen Of Pop but a few people who deserve the title, other wise there would be no discussing it, just as MJ is the King Of Pop and no one questions that. On this page alone 8 artists are labelled the Queen Of Pop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific_nicknames_in_popular_music

While most would say Madonna is the Queen of Pop and I would probably agree with the success side of things and she isn't even my favourite out of that list, but I wouldn't say she is the Queen just as Michael is the King just for the simple fact a few different artists are called the Queen of Pop by the media and whatnot but no one says different artists are the King, fan or not and if they do they would be laughed at. However without a doubt Madonna has been the most successful of the candidates in maintaining her success.

I think the fact we have to have a thread like this shows there isn't really an undisputed Queen Of Pop but a few people who deserve the title, other wise there would be no discussing it, just as MJ is the King Of Pop and no one questions that. On this page alone 8 artists are labelled the Queen Of Pop:

If you make Michael the God of Music.....Then everything makes sense!!!!

How can you say that? It's said all the freaking time! Not as much since MJ passed on, but it's always been a constant source of MJ fan frustration. Everyone from Justin Timberlake to Justin Beiber has been called the King of Pop over the years. Yes, it's ridiculous but no more so than someone calling Britney or Rihanna the Queen. I just don't understand why people fight so hard in order to deny Madonna's status. I'm not saying that is what you're doing but so many definitely do.

eee.jpg

0902_sep2_kanye.jpg

Last edited:
^ Yeah people are called the new king of pop or what not but they are never taken seriously, just like the people who claim Gaga is the queen after being around for just a couple of years, however there are at least 5 people who get called the Queen of Pop all the time.

I guess what I meant is if you went out on the streets and asked the average person who the King is no doubt they would say Michael, however if it was the Queen you could expect Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Janet, Celine etc.

I don't even really care for Madonna I listen to her on occasion but she's definitely the Queen of Pop, I prefer Janet's music/performances more than any other females but Janet is just a legend she doesn't really carry a title imo. Mariah & Whitney are two of the greatest female vocalists of all time, Britney is the Princess, Christina the voice of the generation, Pink, Kylie & Beyonce shouldn't be even be factors in this debate, I LOVE Pink but she isn't a ground-breaking artist, as for Beyonce even though she's one the most talented artist of this generation & one of my favorites, the only title she holds is the Most Overrated Artist of All Time she isn't ground-breaking either...

i voted Madonna.For me she was the queen of pop and will be even i don't like her so much.Since i was a child they called her as queen of pop.

I have heard people say Madonna is and now I hear people saying Whitney is. I don't know.

I love Whitney but they are only saying that about her now because she died. I'm not diminishing her many accomplishments, it's just a sad fact.

I have heard people say Madonna is and now I hear people saying Whitney is. I don't know.

I love Whitney but they are only saying that about her now because she died. I'm not diminishing her many accomplishments, it's just a sad fact.
I'm going with Whitney here
Dublinproud made this post back in July of 2009. I'm sure his/her sentiments were shared by many.

Dublinproud made this post back in July of 2009. I'm sure his/her sentiments were shared by many.

I'm not saying that no one thought so. I was actually more so referring to the media and now general public who only show interest in Whitney because she has passed. It's the cruel truth. Where were all these people when she was alive and could have used the support? Whitney is a queen in her own right, so I won't contest that. However, Madonna will always be the Queen of Pop in my eyes - she best fits the bill. Whitney deserves her own title.

Whitney is the queen of the voice. That's what people relate to when they think of Whitney. It's hard but I think I would give it to Madonna.

I don't think any of them but the closest could be Whitney, I'm not one bit fond of Madonna..

you guys will do anything to throw shade at Janet. this post is so petty. maybe we should ask who the king of Pop is.... Do you think Mj would say someone other than his sister was the queen of pop?

you guys will do anything to throw shade at Janet. this post is so petty. maybe we should ask who the king of Pop is.... Do you think Mj would say someone other than his sister was the queen of pop?

If you like her that's fine, nobody is throwing shade at Janet. I think you've got to respect people's opinion, after all it's one of many polls. Sheesh..

Madonna, obviously.
Doesn't matter if ya like her or not :)

edit: lol, I accidentally clicked Whitney

I'd nominate Aretha Franklin, simply because of that unique voice. Out of those you are able to vote for, I chose Whitney (simply based on my taste preferences). I would say I feel there are some key artists missing from the nominees, though (LIKE Dianne Warren, Patti Austin, Roberta Flack, Syreeta).

I personally don't feel that any of those people have quite earned that title... but I might be biased because I don't really listen to any of them.

But there doesn't have to be a queen of pop. A title like that comes once in a century.

Madonna, overall. Her 2000 onwards output has been patchy with her post 2010 output dreadful, but she was a terrific pop artist in the 80s and a great social commentary in the 90s. For this, she earns the title of Queen. None of the new artists can hold a candle to her.

Whitney would be an automatic second, but tragic what happened to her, Whitney had the best voice of all of them. Mariah Carey is right up there too, beautiful voice and some well written songs in the 1990s and a few later ones (We belong together) but she is a bit too rappy hoe now.

I really think Celine Dion should be added to the list, she is an amazing singer in English and French!

For popularity or records sales Madonna
For talent I think Alicia Keys, Beyonce, or Katie Perry are before her.

Madonna! It's pretty funny to read names like Christina Aguilera or P!nk on this list. lol

I'd nominate Aretha Franklin, simply because of that unique voice. Out of those you are able to vote for, I chose Whitney (simply based on my taste preferences). I would say I feel there are some key artists missing from the nominees, though (LIKE Dianne Warren, Patti Austin, Roberta Flack, Syreeta).

Well, we are talking about POP. None of those artists, except Whitney, are really pop. As far as I know Aretha Franklin is being called the Queen of Soul which is a more appropriate title for her.

I also think when we call someone the Queen of Pop that should be more than about the voice. I think it is a mixture of things: hits, long term impact, talent, commercial success. These all together. Aretha is influential and great but not as commercially successful as pop acts such as Madonna, Mariah or Whitney. I am not saying commercial success is the most important thing, but when we are about to call someone the Queen of Pop I think that artist has to have some bigger level of general popularity. It cannot be an artist limited to a certain audience or niche market. So I don't think artists like Dianne Warren (or did you mean Dianne Warwick?), Patti Austin, Roberta Flack, Syreeta Wright qualify here. Not even Aretha.

Last edited:
Back