Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Christina

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Beyoncé

Votes: 28 6.4%
  • Pink

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
Really? Honestly, I never heard her referred to that title until the last few years of her career. I think many always thought of her as such, but it wasn't vocalized by the media until more recently. I think since Michael's passing it has been sort of unceremoniously solidified by the media to refer to her as the Queen of Pop and for good reason. I think MJ's passing has made people realize just how big, important, and iconic her songs and image are. I think that's why she was chosen to honor him at the VMAS. Who else could have? No one else has come close to the heights of MJ's success. There really isn't any other pop act out there who has influenced pop culture the way Madonna has (I'm not trying to make this a compare and contrast between M and MJ so let's not make it). Madonna has been with us for nearly 30 years now and is still on top of the pop world. No, her sales aren't what they used to be but that applies to EVERYONE including the teeny boppers. The music industry and economy are in ruins but even so she is still selling out stadiums, breaking records, and is still a best selling artist globally.

There really isn't anyone else out there who has been as consistent as Madonna.

Well, I don't know where have you been, but she was nicknamed the Queen of Pop, back in the 90's together with Michael beeing nicknamed as the King of Pop. That's when she was the Queen, and that's whe all the media was calling her like that, they both were the biggest starts out there, noone was bigger.
Now, even though she continued performing and releasing unlike him, it is still not the way it used to be.
I clearly don't hear or see any hype about her like it used to be back than, when she was all into sex. I don't deny she has a great musical talent. I really liked her Girlie show. I like Madonna best from 86 to Evita years, everything she done before and after is boring to me. I did enjoy some of her hits, from 97 and on. But I think she has lost her creativity, she used to be more creative in the older days. Her videos where more interesting and the image too, now, she is more plain and simple to me. And for me it is sad, to see great artists become like that. Yes, she was there together famous with Michael, but if some call, him a has been, than she clearly, a has been too, I don't think that Madonna was more interesting than Britney, when Brit came out, and became a #1.

I think Madonna, did a good job imho, doing everything she can, to make people forget her slutty days, people, don't seem to remember them.
I think, that her sex image were a great factor of attraction to her, for both male and female fans, and I feel, like definately some people, had to be disappointed that she stopped being like that, and she probably lost some of her old fans, but probably gained new ones too.

Basically, I think that the queen of pop title, fitted her better, until 97, since than she changed, and the whole musical scene changed, so she is still a great artist, but no way near what she was before. That title doesn't fit her anymore.

Last edited:
Janet for me IMO Madonna was but I haven't liked any of her songs over the last decade so I think shes been overthrown by Janet. Whitney is more the queen of Music IMO

Last edited:
Well, I don't know where have you been, but she was nicknamed the Queen of Pop, back in the 90's together with Michael beeing nicknamed as the King of Pop. That's when she was the Queen, and that's whe all the media was calling her like that, they both were the biggest starts out there, noone was bigger.
Now, even though she continued performing and releasing unlike him, it is still not the way it used to be.
I clearly don't hear or see any hype about her like it used to be back than, when she was all into sex. I don't deny she has a great musical talent. I really liked her Girlie show. I like Madonna best from 86 to Evita years, everything she done before and after is boring to me. I did enjoy some of her hits, from 97 and on. But I think she has lost her creativity, she used to be more creative in the older days. Her videos where more interesting and the image too, now, she is more plain and simple to me. And for me it is sad, to see great artists become like that. Yes, she was there together famous with Michael, but if some call, him a has been, than she clearly, a has been too, I don't think that Madonna was more interesting than Britney, when Brit came out, and became a #1.

I think Madonna, did a good job imho, doing everything she can, to make people forget her slutty days, people, don't seem to remember them.
I think, that her sex image were a great factor of attraction to her, for both male and female fans, and I feel, like definately some people, had to be disappointed that she stopped being like that, and she probably lost some of her old fans, but probably gained new ones too.

Basically, I think that the queen of pop title, fitted her better, until 97, since than she changed, and the whole musical scene changed, so she is still a great artist, but no way near what she was before. That title doesn't fit her anymore.

I will be respectful of your opinion but I do feel there are many holes in it and there's nothing wrong with healthy discussion, right? That's what we're here for. So, you can have your opinion but I can also debate it (respectfully).

The holes are mainly in what you use to claim Janet as "Queen of Pop" (and this goes to the others claiming the same thing). You basically say that Madonna isn't relevant anymore or "not what she used to be". While, I agree that she isn't the Madonna of old or at her peak of infamy, she is still most certainly relevant. She has so much more riding against her than she did in the beginning of her career (the music industry in shambles and her age that few can see past) and yet she just came off of a hugely successful history making world tour (Sticky & Sweet is the #1 tour of all-time) during a recession and has now released a worldwide best selling greatest hits package despite it all.

I am a Janet fan but I also consider myself a realist. I own all her stuff but what has Janet done for me lately (pun intended)? Let's be real. When's the last time she had an actual hit? This past decade has been the worst time of her career, or lack thereof. She's had flop album after flop album and has had to resort to canceling concerts due to bad attendance (yeah yeah she was under the weather but the fact is the tour wouldn't have lasted much longer if people weren't going). The general public has appeared to have lost all interest in her no matter how hard she tries. Hardcore fans have all sorts of excuses but at this point I really don't see how anyone can argue the fact that the general public are simply tired and want something new from Janet. Her sound is dated and played out. Many argue that her constant use of sexually explicit material has also been a big benefactor. The point is, the "points" you use to argue that Madonna isn't worthy are actually the exact reasons why Janet isn't even really viable for the position. In terms of actual commercial success Madonna blows Janet out of the water both currently and past tense. She doesn't come close.

Your reasoning is the same kind of things people tried to say about MJ no longer being the King. Once you're the King, you're always the King (or Queen in this case). If Madonna stopped right now and never released another album or went on another tour, she'd still be the Queen of Pop because no one has affected pop culture like she has.

Last edited:
I will be respectful of your opinion but I do feel there are many holes in it and there's nothing wrong with healthy discussion, right? That's what we're here for. So, you can have your opinion but I can also debate it (respectfully).

The holes are mainly in what you use to claim Janet as "Queen of Pop" (and this goes to the others claiming the same thing). You basically say that Madonna isn't relevant anymore or "not what she used to be". While, I agree that she isn't the Madonna of old or at her peak of infamy, she is still most certainly relevant. She has so much more riding against her than she did in the beginning of her career (the music industry in shambles and her age that few can see past) and yet she just came off of a hugely successful history making world tour (Sticky & Sweet is the #1 tour of all-time) during a recession and has now released a worldwide best selling greatest hits package despite it all.

I am a Janet fan but I also consider myself a realist. I own all her stuff but what has Janet done for me lately (pun intended)? Let's be real. When's the last time she had an actual hit? This past decade has been the worst time of her career, or lack thereof. She's had flop album after flop album and has had to resort to canceling concerts due to bad attendance (yeah yeah she was under the weather but the fact is the tour wouldn't have lasted much longer if people weren't going). The general public has appeared to have lost all interest in her no matter how hard she tries. Hardcore fans have all sorts of excuses but at this point I really don't see how anyone can argue the fact that the general public are simply tired and want something new from Janet. Her sound is dated and played out. Many argue that her constant use of sexually explicit material has also been a big benefactor. The point is, the "points" you use to argue that Madonna isn't worthy are actually the exact reasons why Janet isn't even really viable for the position. In terms of actual commercial success Madonna blows Janet out of the water both currently and past tense. She doesn't come close.

Your reasoning is the same kind of things people tried to say about MJ no longer being the King. Once you're the King, you're always the King (or Queen in this case). If Madonna stopped right now and never released another album or went on another tour, she'd still be the Queen of Pop because no one has affected pop culture like she has.

Why bring up success? It's like every Madonna fan to bring up success. Janet was far more successful then Madonna in the 90's. Yes, Madonna is far more commercially successful then Janet but that doesn't equate to talent and impact. Honestly, Janet's impact and influence on music and popular culture as a whole is far more.

Why bring up success? It's like every Madonna fan to bring up success. Janet was far more successful then Madonna in the 90's. Yes, Madonna is far more commercially successful then Janet but that doesn't equate to talent and impact. Honestly, Janet's impact and influence on music and popular culture as a whole is far more.

In your opinion but I completely disagree. Success is being brought up because this is about being the Queen of POPULAR music. Mainstream appeal. The most famous and recognized female name in the music industry. Also, Madonna outsold Janet in the 90's too (around 75 million albums sold give or take in that decade alone). Janet has never been a big seller worldwide and most sources quote Janet as having sold around 50 million albums total and not anywhere near 100 million as JJ fans claim.

Madonna's 90's albums:

rayoflightmini.jpg

Ray Of Light
Released: March 3, 1998
USA Peak: 2
USA Sales Figure: 4 Million
Last Certified: Dec. 11, 1998
UK Peak: 1
Total World Wide Sales: 14 Million
evitamini.jpg

Evita Soundtrack
Released: Nov. 12, 1996
USA Sales Figure: 5 Million
Last Certified: April 8, 1997
Total World Wide Sales: 11 Million
somethingtoremembermini.jpg

Something To Remember
Released: Nov. 7, 1995
USA Peak: 6
USA Sales Figure: 3 Million
Last Certified: Nov. 18, 1996
UK Peak: 3
Total World Wide Sales: 8 Million
bedtimestoriesmini.jpg

Bedtime Stories
Released: Oct. 25, 1994
USA Peak: 3
Last Certified: 11/21/05
UK Peak: 2
Total World Wide Sales: 7 Million
eroticamini.jpg

Erotica
Released: Oct. 20, 1992
USA Sales Figure: 2 Million
Last Certified: Jan. 6, 1993
Total World Wide Sales: 5 Million
immaculatecollectionmini.jpg

The Immaculate Collection
Released: Nov. 13, 1990
USA Sales Figure: 10 Million
Last Certified: Oct. 18, 2001
Total World Wide Sales: 22 Million
imbreathlessmini.jpg

I’m Breathless
Released: May 22, 1990
Last Certified: July 30, 1990

Last edited:
In your opinion but I completely disagree. Success is being brought up because this is about being the Queen of POPULAR music. Mainstream appeal. The most famous and recognized female name in the music industry. Also, Madonna outsold Janet in the 90's too. RoL alone sold 14 million. Janet has never been a big seller worldwide and most sources quote Janet as having sold around 50 million albums total and not anywhere near 100 million as JJ fans claim.

Madonna's 90's albums:

rayoflightmini.jpg

Ray Of Light
Released: March 3, 1998
USA Sales Figure: 4 Million
Last Certified: Dec. 11, 1998
Total World Wide Sales: 14 Million
evitamini.jpg

Evita Soundtrack
Released: Nov. 12, 1996
USA Sales Figure: 5 Million
Last Certified: April 8, 1997
Total World Wide Sales: 11 Million
somethingtoremembermini.jpg

Something To Remember
Released: Nov. 7, 1995
USA Peak: 6
Last Certified: Nov. 18, 1996
UK Peak: 3
Total World Wide Sales: 8 Million
bedtimestoriesmini.jpg

Bedtime Stories
Released: Oct. 25, 1994
USA Peak: 3
Last Certified: 11/21/05
Total World Wide Sales: 7 Million
eroticamini.jpg

Erotica
Released: Oct. 20, 1992
Last Certified: Jan. 6, 1993
immaculatecollectionmini.jpg

The Immaculate Collection
Released: Nov. 13, 1990
USA Sales Figure: 10 Million
Last Certified: Oct. 18, 2001
Total World Wide Sales: 22 Million
imbreathlessmini.jpg

I’m Breathless
Released: May 22, 1990
Last Certified: July 30, 1990

I'm talking about "Pop" as in the genre but I see where your going with this. I guess it can be seen both ways. Popularity and the genre. FYI Janet has sold about 70 million ALBUMS and 100+ million RECORDS. There's difference between ALBUMS and RECORDS.

the janet. album sold 20 million and TVR sold 10 million worldwide. Janet only released two albums in the 90's while Madonna released three (Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light) and still didn't sell over Janet in that decade. Mariah is the most successful in the 90's while Janet comes in second. Even Mariah released an album almost every year in the 90's but Janet managed to be the 2nd most successful with just two albums. Janet WAS a big seller worldwide until Damita Jo and the whole Superbowl debacle. Hopefully she regains her status worldwide with this upcoming album. I see she's promoting in the UK first which is a smart move.

Ill say Madonna, because i think shes had the biggest impact on pop music out of the people listed, but i really dont like her!
For me there hasnt been i queen of pop yet! Theres no room, for a queen, because Mike is to big a king!

Although I do consider Madonna to be one of the most overrated acts since Elvis, I agree with you about what you said in regards of Madonna and Janet Jackson.

Mariah carey, she has one of the most amazing voices ever, and the talent that she sings high is just wonderful =)

I don't really like any female artists...but I'd have to choose Madonna.

Madonna is not the queen of pop anymore ! Go BRITNEY =)

How come?
Mike is still the king of pop, either! So why Madonna shouldn't be?
She is and she'll always be because the media and everybody called her this way once and that won't change anymore! ;)

Madonna is the Queen of Pop (in terms of worldwide success), but In terms of talent and being influential..I would say JANET!! Not only she is the sister of MJ (the best) she is the best female artist out of everyone on the list..I like Madonna and Beyonce, but when it comes to talent..she beats them BOTH..from the dancing to the singing and her music (in her prime)..IMO, Michael and Janet are the most influential artists of all time..About 95% of artists out right now imitate either Michael or Janet..Madonna is influential, but not as influential as Janet..imo..

Last edited:
Madonna is the Queen of Pop (in terms of worldwide success), but In terms of talent and being influential..I would say JANET!! Not only she is the sister of MJ (the best) she is the best female artist out of everyone on the list..I like Madonna and Beyonce, but when it comes to talent..she beats them BOTH..from the dancing to the singing and her music (in her prime)..IMO, Michael and Janet are the most influential artists of all time..About 95% of artists out right now imitate either Michael or Janet..Madonna is influential, but not as influential as Janet..imo..

I don't have anything against Janet but I really love Aaliyah! She always had her own style, too! She really didn't try to copy nobody! If u only go for the dancing - ok, Janet might be better but if u go for all in all, I'd say Aaliyah cuz' I really love her and her music! Everything about her, her character and her looks etc. I don't like Janet's music somehow, don't know why but I just don't like it! So, that's why Aaliyah is better in my opinion but opinions can be different and taste, also and that's good the way it is! ;)

I don't have anything against Janet but I really love Aaliyah! She always had her own style, too! She really didn't try to copy nobody! If u only go for the dancing - ok, Janet might be better but if u go for all in all, I'd say Aaliyah cuz' I really love her and her music! Everything about her, her character and her looks etc. I don't like Janet's music somehow, don't know why but I just don't like it! So, that's why Aaliyah is better in my opinion but opinions can be different and taste, also and that's good the way it is! ;)

I LOVE Aaliyah too, but I don't think she is better than Janet..Aaliyah was great, but she was one of the artists that was heavily influenced by Janet..I believe Janet was her favorite artist..and she said that her last album, "Aaliyah", was like her version of Janet's "Control" album..

i wanna say madonna but my heart is telling me its MS JACKSON if ya NASTY!

Back