The Ultimate Off The Wall Thread

If You Could Rename The Title, What Would It Be?​

No, you cannot say "I'd keep it the same." Just imagine I have a gun to your head & you have to rename the album, now choose! :lmao:

BATTLE OF THE COVERS

2cffrmf.jpg
2vls40x.jpg

What do you think of these album covers?
Which is better?
Which one do you own?

And add anything else you'd like to say about it :flowers:

I Own Both
I Have A Record & Cd
The Second Is Better To Me
& The Cover Is Very Simple Which I Like

Well Words Cant Really Express How Great This Album Is. This Really Will Have To Be My Favortie Album All Time.

My Top 5
1.I Cant Help
2.Get On The Floor
3.Rock With You
4.Burn This Disco Out
5.Workin Day & Night

yup OFF THE WALL will always kick ass. it's THE great album, music wise, from MJ. You only have to listen to the musical arrangment behind the vocals and you totally know you are listening to something divine. Genius.

Just my little tribute to my fav. albumn. :p

speaking Of "off The Wall", I Just Realized That Otw Is The Really The Last Mj Album In Which He Used Real Instruments On Pretty Much All Of The Songs. To Me, This Is His Most Raw And Organic Sounding Album. I Pray That Mike Gets Back To Using Real Instruments On The New Album.

Yesssssssssssssssss Exactly What I Mean.

If mj is going to shake up the world, it's time to use REAL intruments!!

Last edited:
I love the first album cover much more than the second cover. When I think of OTW, I think of the first album, and how happy and eager he was to show the world he was no longer "Little Michael Jackson from the Jackson 5" but a grown man and was ready to take the world by storm! Besides, the first cover is the first and only solo MJ cover that has his beautiful smile gracing the cover too.

I also love everything about the album: from his vocals on each song, to the instruments...everything! But if I had to pick a top 5, I'd pick:

1. Rock With You
2. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
3. Get On the Floor
4. Off the Wall
5. I Can't Help It

If there's any interest, today I went out record hunting and bought a whole bunch of old albums and I came across Off The Wall - the vinyl, and it's the only Mike album I don't own on vinyl, so I thought why not just buy it. While I was holding it in my hand, I mentioned to my friend who was with me that there is a early pressing of OTW that has a slighlty different mix of Get on The Floor and a supposedly "jazzier" arrangement of Rock With You and I would love to get a hold of it. As soon as I got home (about 3 hours ago now), I layed down the disc and listened to it, and guess what - I got the version of the album I was talking about - Rock with you has slightly different guitars and a slightly different rhode sound and the mix is way different, more "jazzy". And Get on the Floor has no reverb in the chorus and minus some backvocals, a totally different mix than the one we have now.

So if there's any interest in these 2 tracks (I just ripped them to the computer :D) and if the mods thinks it's OK to post them (since they are 2 tracks that are avalible - but these mixes are hard to find) I'll post them in the 2000 Watts forum...

I still have a cassette tape version of OTW with the different versions of Rock With You and Get On the Floor that I bought in the mid-90's. I thought I had bought a bad tape because they weren't the vesions of the songs I grew up hearing, but as the years passed, I learned how rare those versions are and I think now that was pretty cool. That was also my introduction to the OTW cover we have now. I thought THAT was wrong too since that wasn't the cover I always remembered seeing too, not knowing that was now the permanent album cover, with the original album cover becoming more and more a rarity.

If there's any interest, today I went out record hunting and bought a whole bunch of old albums and I came across Off The Wall - the vinyl, and it's the only Mike album I don't own on vinyl, so I thought why not just buy it. While I was holding it in my hand, I mentioned to my friend who was with me that there is a early pressing of OTW that has a slighlty different mix of Get on The Floor and a supposedly "jazzier" arrangement of Rock With You and I would love to get a hold of it. As soon as I got home (about 3 hours ago now), I layed down the disc and listened to it, and guess what - I got the version of the album I was talking about - Rock with you has slightly different guitars and a slightly different rhode sound and the mix is way different, more "jazzy". And Get on the Floor has no reverb in the chorus and minus some backvocals, a totally different mix than the one we have now.

So if there's any interest in these 2 tracks (I just ripped them to the computer :D) and if the mods thinks it's OK to post them (since they are 2 tracks that are avalible - but these mixes are hard to find) I'll post them in the 2000 Watts forum...

Oh my God that's sooo cool! B) You're lucky- and yes- I'd like those songs :D

^^ OMG!! I'm listening to OTW right now too...and when Get on The Floor started a went wild too! Man that song is simply brilliant!!!!

Let's bring this back from the dead :lol:

Now try out that topic that no one answered, "What would you rename the album?" :lol:

Seeing as MJ names his albums after a song on the album, probably Rock With You. None of the songs really sound good as a album title though.

Seeing as MJ names his albums after a song on the album, probably Rock With You. None of the songs really sound good as a album title though.

True.

I like the title 'Can't Help It' :wub:

I agree. It just sounds so good being "Off the wall" cause the album really is off the wall! lol. They made a good name choice on there, shout out to Temperton!!!lol!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. It just sounds so good being "Off the wall" cause the album really is off the wall! lol. They made a good name choice on there, shout out to Temperton!!!lol!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSS WE ALLLLLLLLLL LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS ALLLBUM!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :lol:

OTW sure would have sold more copies had it had more promotion. Had he made Thriller first and then OTW it would have sold better than Bad. If OTW had been released in 1985 in between thriller and Bad it would have sold unimaginable good!

Sales don't actually mean anything, huge sales are just an aded bonus. The Spice Girls first album sold more than Prince's Purple Rain album, yet Purple Rain is a more famous album because it had a greater impact on music and culture.

It doesn't matter that Bad sold more than Off The Wall. Off The Wall has since sold around 20 million albums. But by 1980 it had sold 8 million worldwide and that was a huge amount of albums back then. No MTV at the time to show the 3 videos Michael made for the album, the promotion would have mainly been on the radio. You can't really compare it to the sales of Michael's albums since Thriller because the music business was different then, and not all about selling 10 million plus album. Even now albums don't sell like the used to in the 1980's and 90's because the business is changing again and becoming more fragmented. Off The Wall is what is, a genius of an album that's made a lasting impact on music.

I can't choose which is my favorite Michael Jackson album between Off The Wall and Bad. Bad is more famous album than Off The Wall, with bigger hit singles. But Off The Wall has had a bigger influence on music than Bad, and has more credibility than Bad. Most people would be surprised that the Off The Wall album made no higher than No.3 in the USA and was never a No.1 album in both the USA and UK. Once again it's the impact an album or song has that a lasting effect not the chart positions or sales. Look at the song Smooth Criminal. It reached not higher than around No.7 and 8 in both the USA and UK, yet it's now one of Michael's most famous and influencial songs. Michael should perform more songs from Off The Wall, he tends to focus mainly on songs from Thriller and Bad, and whatever his current album is when touring.

My 5 favorite songs on Off The Wall are ...................

1. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
2. Workin' Day and Night
3. Get On The Floor
4. Rock With You
5. Burn This Disco Out

I love every song on Off The Wall even the two weaker ones, Girlfriend (I prefer Paul McCartney's version) and It's The Falling In Love.

I'd love to hear the orginal version of Rock With You, which was an uptempo song. Michael said in his autobiography Moonwalk that he slowed the pace of the song down. Which is now the iconic song we all know. The uptempo version of Rock With You was supposed to have appeared on the 2001 Special Edition of Off The Wall.

BATTLE OF THE COVERS

2cffrmf.jpg
2vls40x.jpg

What do you think of these album covers?
Which is better?
Which one do you own?

And add anything else you'd like to say about it :flowers:

I prefer the original 1979 Off The Wall album cover, Michael looks funky and relaxed on the cover.

I owned the original foldout Off The Wall album on vinyl, that I bought in 1983. I also have it on cassette that I bought in 1983. I have the album with it's original cover on CD that I bought in the early 1990's, and a limited edition foldout card CD of the Off The Wall album that's a replica of the vinyl album with it's original cover. Plus I have the 2001 Off The Wall (Special Edition) album on CD with it's modified album cover. The inside of the booklet for the Off The Wall (Special Edition), has a photo of Michael and Paul McCartney washing plates, that photo is a bit misleading as it was taken in 1983 after the Off The Wall era.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear the orginal version of Rock With You, which was an uptempo song. Michael said in his autobiography Moonwalk that he slowed the pace of the song down. Which is now the iconic song we all know. The uptempo version of Rock With You was supposed to have appeared on the 2001 Special Edition of Off The Wall.

^^^ NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!
oh my goodness I would loooooooooove to hear that version! I never knew this! I wonder if anyone actually has it!!! I have the special edition of OTW, but that isn't on it :no: hmmmm.......????

^^^ NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!
oh my goodness I would loooooooooove to hear that version! I never knew this! I wonder if anyone actually has it!!! I have the special edition of OTW, but that isn't on it :no: hmmmm.......????

I presume the original uptempo version of Rock With You his safely hidden in Michael Jackson's volt of unreleased music. Just like Sunset Driver and Got The Hots once were.

I got that version on my OTW cassette. Very disco-y compared to the slower, funkier single version with the handclaps.

Are you talking about Rock With You. If you are, the uptempo version is never been released.

The mixes of Off The Wall from the original 1979-early 80's versions have are mixed slightly differently but sound more a less the same. Get On The Floor also has a slightly different mix with to the versions of the albums that have existed since the 1990's, but the song sounds basically the same.

I've been IN LOVE with this album today. I needed to bump this thread :wub:

I like the title "Off the Wall." I think it fits because a lot of the songs are about just that, unwinding. "gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf, and just enjoy yourself." That's what the songs on this album are to me.

I like the title "Off the Wall." I think it fits because a lot of the songs are about just that, unwinding. "gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf, and just enjoy yourself." That's what the songs on this album are to me.

:yes:

That's what I LOVE about Off the Wall....

It's probably the most relaxing MJ album to listen to when you're tired. It'll make you feel energized. It starts slow then goes funky, melodic then slow then disco.. I just love it..

Whenever I feel like crap, one of the first songs I put on is Get On The Floor :give_heart: cheers me up every time

Back