Those that saw MJ on HIStory Tour

L.T.D

Proud Member
Id first like to say this isnt a bash at Michael lip synching. I'd like to know if you were aware of him lip synching when you were there.

Personally I wouldnt really care if he was lip synching, and just being in his presence would be enough for me. But were you actually aware he was lip synching the majority of the time?

I wasn't aware. But even if I were, I wouldn't have cared. Those were mindblowing shows and Michael was amazing!

I wasn't aware. But even if I were, I wouldn't have cared. Those were mindblowing shows and Michael was amazing!

I second you on that one, l was lucky to see him on Dangerous and History tour. l was not aware of the lip-syncing. Men l miss those days..

During the concert it didn't even come to my mind. There was so many things going on on stage, you know - just seeing Michael was more than like being in heaven...
No, I actually wasn't aware of that, but even now, seeing some footage I am not disappointed in anyway with his lip sync. We all know he can sing, so it's really ok with my.
Gosh... it was so long ago :(

I saw MJ on the HIStory tour and it never occurred to me. I was only about 12, so probably a bit dumb and naive. Little things like the fact that he was singing Janet's verse in Scream and the switch to live vocals at the end of the songs made me think it was all live.

It was such a brilliant show regardless of the lip-synching. The atmosphere was the most intense of any concert I've ever been to. It was truly magic.

I would loved to have been able to see him. I was only about 6 at the time of the HIStory Tour and I doubt my mum and dad would have ever gone and taken me. I missed out on so much :\

I was aware. I remember being crushed. Also if I wasn't sure when I saw him in Sheffield I also went 3 days later at Wembley so any doubts I had were confirmed.

Having been a fan of Mike all my life, the HIStory concerts remain my biggest disappointment. I'm just glad I also have Bad & Dangerous tours to reflect on.

I am so grateful to my parents for taking me to the HIStory tour when I was 12. I've seen a lot of great bands and legendary artists in concert but none of them have lived up to Michael's show.

I've been at concerts of artists that I love and thought "why aren't I enjoying this more?". I remember when I saw Prince at the o2 and there was just no atmosphere or sense of occasion. And I'm a huge Prince fan. Even when he was doing Purple Rain and everyone was singing along the atmosphere was just flat.

At Michael's show it was just hysteria, excitement and the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced. On the way out everyone in front of me was saying "how great was that?" and talking about what a wonderful show it was. Watching it on telly just doesn't do it justice.

I am so grateful to my parents for taking me to the HIStory tour when I was 12. I've seen a lot of great bands and legendary artists in concert but none of them have lived up to Michael's show.

I've been at concerts of artists that I love and thought "why aren't I enjoying this more?". I remember when I saw Prince at the o2 and there was just no atmosphere or sense of occasion. And I'm a huge Prince fan. Even when he was doing Purple Rain and everyone was singing along the atmosphere was just flat.

At Michael's show it was just hysteria, excitement and the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced. On the way out everyone in front of me was saying "how great was that?" and talking about what a wonderful show it was. Watching it on telly just doesn't do it justice.

I disagree. I remember thinking at both shows that the atmosphere was muted and reserved. The clapping after each song was short and the gaps / silence between songs seemed endless. Apart from the first few rows, the rest of the crowd seemed listless and at some times bored. Compared to the energy, commotion and oomph of the Bad & Dangerous concerts it was a different world. The only concert I've been to that compared in terms of crowd was Oasis at Knebworth.

I don't blame the crowd though, it seemed like Michael didn't want to be there and I think that showed.

I disagree. I remember thinking at both shows that the atmosphere was muted and reserved. The clapping after each song was short and the gaps / silence between songs seemed endless. Apart from the first few rows, the rest of the crowd seemed listless and at some times bored. Compared to the energy, commotion and oomph of the Bad & Dangerous concerts it was a different world. The only concert I've been to that compared in terms of crowd was Oasis at Knebworth.

I don't blame the crowd though, it seemed like Michael didn't want to be there and I think that showed.
Was the crowd reaction that you recount the case at your venue only or was it endemic of the entire tour?

Well, maybe we were at different shows. In a stadium of 70,000 people you are always going to get some casual fans milling about towards the back of the venue.

Not everyone is going to be like the hysterical Japanese fans you see on the Brace Yourself trailers, particularly a British crowd.

I was near the back at one of the Wembley shows and the atmosphere struck me big time. And it did for everyone else around me as well, because I distinctly remember everyone talking about how great it was afterwards.

When he came on the anticipation was electric. And I remember when they put the flood-lights on during the encore and the sight of 70,000 fans singing along to Heal The World - it was a beautiful experience.

I do remember the long gaps between songs where they would just be playing videos on the giant screens. I remember my brother-in-law saying "I could've watched Michael Jackson videos at home."

Maybe because you had a frame of reference it was different for you. You were going expecting to see the Bad tour again. I was young, didn't know he was miming, but I definately wasn't easily impressed because everyone else around me was just as impressed as I was.

Was the crowd reaction that you recount the case at your venue only or was it endemic of the entire tour?

I can only speak for the 2 shows I was at. Others will have different experiences. But it seems more than a coincidence that it was the same at 2 shows. It was such a disparity with previous experiences, but to be honest I didn't feel much like clapping & cheering myself when I could have had my walkman on and had exactly the same aural experience.

Even the visuals, I and many had seen before so seeing Billie Jean, Thriller etc done virtually exactly the same way as previous concerts meant there was no 'wow' factor'

And when I did let myself get excited thinking he was doing a song he'd never done before it ended up being half the song (TDCAU, Scream, In The Closet).

It could have been so much more.

Well, maybe we were at different shows. In a stadium of 70,000 people you are always going to get some casual fans milling about towards the back of the venue.

Not everyone is going to be like the hysterical Japanese fans you see on the Brace Yourself trailers, particularly a British crowd.

I was near the back at one of the Wembley shows and the atmosphere struck me big time. And it did for everyone else around me as well, because I distinctly remember everyone talking about how great it was afterwards.

When he came on the anticipation was electric. And I remember when they put the flood-lights on during the encore and the sight of 70,000 fans singing along to Heal The World - it was a beautiful experience.

I do remember the long gaps between songs where they would just be playing videos on the giant screens. I remember my brother-in-law saying "I could've watched Michael Jackson videos at home."

Maybe because you had a frame of reference it was different for you. You were going expecting to see the Bad tour again. I was young, didn't know he was miming, but I definately wasn't easily impressed because everyone else around me was just as impressed as I was.

I think that's a big part of it, if you had nothing to compare it to (back then there was no Dangerous Tour DVD and no YouTube) so I guess the HIStory tour was the only experience. And if you didn't know he was miming then the experience may have been very different.

These are only my experiences after all and if you/others loved it then that's brilliant.

I guess for me it's like comparing hearing Dangerous & Invincible for the first times!

I can only feel sorry for you Tom, that you didn't enjoy the shows.
Well, as said: I did and I couldn't even imagine it could be better.
Thank you Michael Jackson for the greatest experience :heart:

The History concert was perfect. It was actually so perfect that some of the fans wished it was less perfect. Indeed, not much interaction with the public and everything seemed as a giant extra long live video.

However, when I saw History concert, it was right after Lady Diana was killed in the car accident. So the atmosphere was rather sad.

Another thing, compared to Dangerous and Bad, and other tours, History tour was performed after the accusations, and that's why probably some public was reserved. As a matter of fact many people were reserved about Michael after the accusations, nevertheless everyone wanted to see him perform, that explains why we were 80 000 people at the concert.

the crowds at the concerts I went to were amazing! people were cheering and singing along and chanting Michael's name and "i love you". It was perfect. The best shows of my life.

During the concert it didn't even come to my mind. There was so many things going on on stage, you know - just seeing Michael was more than like being in heaven...

^This! I simply didn't care if he was singing live or lipsynching as long as he was on stage, performing in front of me...

I realised he was miming at certain moments...it didnt bother me though..

I realise the show was very similar to the dangerous-show but since i didnt see that show (because my parents didnt let me) it was all new for me, and exiting as well...
We were in the pit, the atmosphere was electric!

Yes, I was very aware of the lip synch. Don't really remember how I found out, but I knew it even before the show. I've also listened to every minor detail on the records for so many years that I could spot them without any problem. (You know, he didn't even bother recording some new vocals - a couple of days work, at most).
And like Tony R said, same choreography and lightning all over again on many songs. Felt like a greatest hits tour that Michael didn't wanna do. But it was still Michael Jackson standing there on stage, so of course I enjoyed it.

The HIStory tour was a drastic change from the Dangerous tour. Michael performed eight new songs from HIStory and also BOTD. How many well-established, legendary artists do you know who perform that many new songs in concert?

There were plenty of new things to appreciate on the HIStory tour... TDCAU had really cool choreography, the staging for History (the song) was brilliant, Earth Song was a piece of theatre, you had Dangerous and In The Closet as well - neither of which had been performed on his previous tours.

By contrast, the Dangerous tour barely had any songs from the Dangerous album. It was basically the Bad tour with better outfits and special effects.

being at the front of a crowd of 70k looking up and wondering if he was miming or not wasnt exactly at the top of my priorities. and even if at some points i did think hes miming i hardly cared when i was yards away from seeing him on stage doing his thing and being in the middle of total hysteria

when I could have had my walkman on and had exactly the same aural experience.
. if sitting at home with a walkman on is the same for you as being in a 70k crowd and the energy that comes with that thats rather strange even if u are speaking about just aural.that is a small % of the actual show. you seem just to have a total downer on the whole history tour in general from your comments as i attended the same shows u did and more yet it was the total opposite crowd experience.it was not muted in any sense of the word

the crowds at the concerts I went to were amazing! people were cheering and singing along and chanting Michael's name and "i love you". It was perfect. The best shows of my life.
yeah same. i guess if u are stood at the back with someone whos going fora night out its different to being in the pit with those who qued all night

Last edited:
being at the front of a crowd of 70k looking up and wondering if he was miming or not wasnt exactly at the top of my priorities. and even if at some points i did think hes miming i hardly cared when i was yards away from seeing him on stage doing his thing and being in the middle of total hysteria

quite a ridiculous statement to make. if sitting at home with a walkman on is the same for you as being in a 70k crowd and the energy that comes with that. you seem just to have a total downer on the whole history era.
Thank You..these are my thoughts exactly..WHO CARED if Michael was lipsynching....just to be in his presents would of been enough.

exactly. there are so many who were going to be seeing mj for the first time but never got the chance who would give anything to experienced just one show mimed or not.

exactly. there are so many who were going to be seeing mj for the first time but never got the chance who would give anything to experienced just one show mimed or not.

that was me...I would of been seeing him for the first time..:sad:....flying across the globe...flying for the first time...I was afraid to fly..but I was gonna do it for Michael....so lipsynching...would of ment nothing to me.

My experience at the history was amazing and the best day of my life!

I was 12yrs old then and od course i wouldnt have noticed if he had lip synced anyway. I honstely dont care if he did, he was there doing his best & thats all that matters. What ppl have to realise is that: That man had been working all his life from the age of 5 so of course he would properly have a few lil mishaps along the way & such, but i say thank you michael anyway for giving it your all :clap:

My experience at the history was amazing and the best day of my life!

I was 12yrs old then and od course i wouldnt have noticed if he had lip synced anyway. I honstely dont care if he did, he was there doing his best & thats all that matters. What ppl have to realise is that: That man had been working all his life from the age of 5 so of course he would properly have a few lil mishaps along the way & such, but i say thank you michael anyway for giving it your all :clap:

co sign!!!!
i saw michael twice as a kid. i didnt care if he lip synced or not just being in his presence was enough... :wub:

I was 13 when my mum took me to the HIStory tour show at Wembley. We were sat about half way up the tier slightly left of stage on the opposite end of the stadium. The crowd was immense especially when that pod door opened and you could see Michael standing there. THAT was one of the best parts for me because it dawned on me that I was actually at a Michael Jackson concert and then when Scream started and he turned around (never heard my mum scream so loud! :mello: ) BOY DID IT GET LOUD IN THERE! Still the best concert experience I've ever had. As a lot of people have said I didn't care if he was lip-synching because he was still up there dancing and entertaining us all the same. I wish people didn't take it for granted and be grateful for what we did get.

I just wish I could find our pictures! :weeping:

I couldn't have cared less if he were just to stand there and wave at us for 2hrs :D
Seriously, there were about 70 000 people on the stadium (I wasn't standing on the pitch, but somewhere towards the side of the stage) and we were all chanting Michael's name and clapping and singing along.
So what if he lip synched? I was 14 back then and that was one of the best shows I had seen. A wonderful experience that I will treasure forever. And, as someone else has said, we all know Michael had a great voice. I don't think we were looking for any more proof of that. We were just looking forward to an awesome show :dancin:

Back