Those that saw MJ on HIStory Tour

Backing tracks are additions, not substitutions, therefore It cannot be called miming or lipsyncing which the definition is: moving your lips to pre-recorded tracks.
Michael doesn't just move his lips to his backtracks. He sings live WITH the backtracks.

He explains it here.

Michael doesn't just move his lips to his backtracks. He sings live WITH the backtracks.

Eeh, no he doesn't. At least not on HWT. Check out Stranger In Moscow for example.. someone just put in the CD and played it. Not even the back up singers voices are heard.
I just hate it and think it's terrible. How ever, I do feel the need to point out that HWT still was worth the money, and the show was (of course) superb.

Backing tracks are additions, not substitutions, therefore It cannot be called miming or lipsyncing which the definition is: moving your lips to pre-recorded tracks.

He explains it here.

Thats pointless though when you cant hear him. What is the suitable term then?

I wasn't aware. I was too mesmerised and too busy swooning over him! :D It was an amazing show. I only found out later. Never bothered me. Most acts lip-sync or have backtracks as a 'safety net', so what's the big deal? The show was absolutely fantastic!

I saw MJ on his birthday in Copenhagen in 1997. It was a huge experience.
Even though I was only 11 years old back then, I had been a fan for many years and the show was huge, and he got his cake and fireworks. After the concert people would scream "I love you" and all around the crowd people shouted "I love you more" back. All was so happy and positive. It was great. I feel so lucky I got to see him once in my life.

I saw MJ on his birthday in Copenhagen in 1997. It was a huge experience.
Even though I was only 11 years old back then, I had been a fan for many years and the show was huge, and he got his cake and fireworks. After the concert people would scream "I love you" and all around the crowd people shouted "I love you more" back. All was so happy and positive. It was great. I feel so lucky I got to see him once in my life.

Can you still remember much from when they brought out the birthday cake for him? What was the crowd reaction like and was there any clue if that was happening or was it just his people that knew?

He explains it here.

I hate the fact that someone is talking over MJ's singing there. We haven't heard MJ sing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough since (i think) The Destiny tour and when he does sing it after all these years they have someone talk over him. Bastards!

I hate the fact that someone is talking over MJ's singing there. We haven't heard MJ sing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough since (i think) The Destiny tour and when he does sing it after all these years they have someone talk over him. Bastards!

Yes it annoying when ppl talk over mj when hes singing

I wasn't aware. I was too mesmerised and too busy swooning over him! :D It was an amazing show. I only found out later. Never bothered me. Most acts lip-sync or have backtracks as a 'safety net', so what's the big deal? The show was absolutely fantastic!

Exactly. Most acts use backtracks nowadays because of all the dancing. It's hard to please everybody. Purists say that it should be mentioned on concert tickets if backtracks are used. I'm not sure about that one.

I've seen many concerts in my life and "Live" doesn't always = better.

Even Barbra Streisand was criticised because her voice was off at some European venues in 2007. Some outdoor concerts were cold and damp and she got sick. Shouldn't she have use backtracks then? Who knows?

What bothers me is when the backtrack is an old recording like in Thriller or Beat it. But for TII they might've recorded new backtracks during dress rehearsal at the O2 while MJ's voice was still fresh but we'll never know.:(

Last edited:
I went to 10 History concerts and yes, I was very aware of every parts that was lip sync'd. Because it's totally identical to the studio recording we all know and love. So it is annoying when you don't hear any adlibs or lyrics being sung differently.

But the fact that MJ is right in front of you dancing and the music is loud and powerfull made up for it.

His lack of energy or effort sometimes was more annoying.

What's more annoying is the lack of people's empathy or disconcern over another's state of spirit first or at all. Jackson hated doing the Victory Tour, but relented to the pressures of his family; then he mostly accepted touring the Dangerous World Tour to raise funds for his Heal The World Foundation and to visit hospitals and children's homes and make more donations; pretty much the same goes for the HIStory Tour. Throughout all these mentioned period of times he often felt like crap, either emotionally or physically (throat problems, lack of sleeping, insomnia, other physical pains). He continued honoring some concerts even when fighting for his life from the mental exhaustion and dehydration caused by the devilish 1993 allegations. He continued performing Earth Song even after almost dying on the stage bridge from the MJ and Friends Seoul, Korea concert. If we were to believe the rumor that his former wife, Debbie Rowe, had a miscariage before having Prince, he still found the strength to perform, to be in front of the audience and dance when he couldn't find the strength to sing, or dance even when he felt he couldn't. He accepted doing the 31 This Is It, even though it consumed him enormously, and couldn't eat, sleep etc, and eventually died, and the examples could go on an on, of how Jackson always put his fans first and made superhuman efforts to be there for them, still managing to be good or great for them, disregarding his pains and disregarding what others' opinions of the performances are. Of course, many have said, 'Well, he should've stayed home if he was gonna lyp-synch'. And in that event, the same people would've complained or quit being fans if he had been a no-show, and the media would've have a field day with that, so he couldn't win either way. If he performed 100 percent live, complaints would've still poured in, like "Well, he didn't perform live good, he sucked'. And people are still amazed or annoyed by his perfectionism and couldn't understand it. That's 'cause he knew he was going to be ripped apart by critiques and be thrown like a 'hot potato', like his father would often promise him and his brothers.

How many of us complaining could do that? What he did. 'This Is It' was going to be made for his children and his fans for whom he lived. But what difference do all explanations of this kind make if Jackson didn't satisfy our wants and pleased our senses? Or if we don't believe in what he says or it doesn't matter? What if he didn't sing live for This Is It? What if his health would have deteriorated during the concerts and died shortly afterwards? What if he had needed to postpone or cancel more shows which eventually would have been the case? Already when a couple of dates were rescheduled before the start of the shows there was that unforgetable (?) mass hysteria, and some quit being fans and cussed him and whatever. He more than once said "One of my biggest fears is letting my fans down". Did that matter to some? We who're whining and complaining, do we ever even imagine the stress and turmoil Jackson faced all his life while a hunting evil voice resounding in the depths of his memory always warned "Do not disapoint the audience!"? Do we imagine what his soul must have hurt like at the mere idea, that he fought until his dying day, feeling weak and tired eventually because of the lack of sleep and proper feeding -> because of overworking himself for his fans who were his life? He committed his life to others, always trying to please them in whatever way he can. Because he was not God, he sometimes ended up inevitably disapointing others and, most likely, himself as well. There's lots of accounts of him suffering when thinking he was not good enough (i.e. regarding the Billie Jean spin at the Motown 25 show) or when he felt he didn't do enough for someone, and he bore no less than the whole world on his shoulders, because the whole world expected something from him. He always gave so much of himself, until he could no longer/he gave himself completely. Greed took him away, gushing from so many sides. And what's even more sad, human love.

And again, all points of this kind are pointless when our whims aren't being met, preferably or imperatively all of them.

Last edited:
alma, your post brought tears in my eyes.

i gradually understand why michael always felt lonely. although he was beloved by millions and millions, how many in the millions loved him unconditionally. ever since he was a little kid, he's haunted by the pressure to please others, to entertain and to not disappoint his fans. he lived with this tremendous pressure throughout his life. he never gave up. he always gave more than 100% of himself to others. if he's a lesser man, he'd have given up a long time ago.

thoughout michael's pain and sadness, he continued to give and give. the horrible burn didn't stop him. vitiligo didn't stop him. the accusations didn't stop him. the divorces didn't stop him. the trial didn't stop him. he's such a strong man.

if one appreciates michael the person, not the entertainer, how can one be annoyed by his unavoidable lipsyncing or occasional mistakes in his routines. he's a human being after all. :cry: i miss him so much.

It doesn't matter that he did. He did what he thought was best. For all the people that got to see him live just once are very lucky. Many of us wish we could have and now will never have that chance.

I was just happy at seeing mj live, thats all that really mattered to me

Alma, I didn't say I didn't enjoy the concerts and I didn't say I didn't understand the reasons for the lip syncing and lack of effort/energy. I just said it was annoying sometimes. That's all.

One thing that bothered me was, if he was gonna lip sync so much, he should have atleast pre recorded some vocals especially for the tour that sounded different from the old studio recordings. That's what other artists do sometimes. That's what I would do.

Lip syncing to the Off the Wall medley with vocals that he recorded in the late 70s seemed a bit lazy. He should have recorded and tweaked some new vocals especially to lip sync to for the shows.

Other than that, the shows were great mostly.

Alma, I didn't say I didn't enjoy the concerts and I didn't say I didn't understand the reasons for the lip syncing and lack of effort/energy. I just said it was annoying sometimes. That's all.

One thing that bothered me was, if he was gonna lip sync so much, he should have atleast pre recorded some vocals especially for the tour that sounded different from the old studio recordings. That's what other artists do sometimes. That's what I would do.

Lip syncing to the Off the Wall medley with vocals that he recorded in the late 70s seemed a bit lazy. He should have recorded and tweaked some new vocals especially to lip sync to for the shows.

Other than that, the shows were great mostly.

soul brother, may be Michael never planned to lip sync during most of the tour. if he had every intention to sing live, why would he pre-recorded vocals? Michael Jackson was a perfectionist. we are talking about a vocalist who would spend hours warming up his voice before each recording session, a dancer who would spend hours practicing small steps of his routine so it became his second nature and an artist who paid attention to every single details of his shows. Michael never wanted to suffer from laryngitis and the show must go on. what could he do?

i'm not singling you out. i know you love michael. we all miss him.

I was there and honestly, I was too blown away by the concert that I didn't pay any attention to the lip-synching. Mind you, I was 12 at the time and I hadn't been to any concerts before so I didn't even know what lip-synching was. And still despite the lip-synching, that night changed my life forever because that's when I became a fan. Even if he wasn't singing live for the entire night, I could see that he really gave the audience evrything he had. The energy he had on stage was intoxicating and whenever he did anything on stage, the audience went crazy.

Afterwards I've seen a lot of footage from the HIStory tour and thought that it would have been cool if he had sung more songs live (especially stranger in Moscow and the full version of You are not Alone), but I'm sure Michael had his reasons for using playback more on the HIStory tour than he had previously. I mean, doing a 2-3 hour concert every other night is an incredibly straining experience and with Michael it must have been even more exhausting as he always wanted to give everything he had on stage.

I never noticed the lip-synch when I saw it. I was only 10-11 years old or someting like that, I just enjoyed the concert.

Yes, I was aware of Michael lip-sinching, as the majority of the songs were too identical in vocals to the albums. I didn't care one bit. The show was still the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. I'd give everything to live through it again. He was phenomenal, and really - the fact that he lip-synched was the last thing on my mind. :D

When i seen history i was unaware of the lip syncing, i just thought he was pulling off every song to perfection. I went to this concert not as a fan but more because he was so famous and it seemed wrong to miss him, but after scream, the first song, i was his number one fan and in the months after that i bought everything Michael that i could, this was back in the days before the net and so we had no way of watching the concert back. It is only in the last few years with the availability of youtube that is has become fairly obvious that he was lip syncing a lot if not the majority of the tour and i have to admit it did dissappoint me. I just don't think it is acceptable to lip sync after charging fans to hear you sing live, i know many will say that plenty of pop acts do it but that doesn't make it acceptable, there is also the arguement that he kept getting troat infections but if this was the case then why not cancel the tour. It didn't make me any less of a fan but i just don't accept anybody doing it. In saying all that it was still the best concert i was ever at and my friends who all had tickets for TII envy me for having been at it.

I went to two HIStory concerts in Amsterdam, one in 1996 and one in 1997 (I was 15 and 16 years old), and I'd read about the lip syncing in some magazine or news paper or sth before I went to the shows. I didn't care. The atmosphere was unlike anything I'd ever experienced, and the shows totally blew me away... I was in complete awe, and "trying to spot the lip syncing parts" never even crossed my mind.

I saw BAD, Dangerous and History concerts all out Wembley stadium, you would never of known that Mike was lip-syncing and you wouldn't of been able to compare between BAD and History, this only comes apparent when viewed back on a tv screen close up.

And who if matter with the lip syncing or anything else? -_- Michael always gave his best in everything he did and made with very perfection, seriousness, love and magic for his fans. -_- :wub: The important thing is to have been there, seeing the man on stage and having lived all the emotions of that amazing moment of see Michael performing and then say: "I was there!!!!" :wild: :punk:

And who if matter with the lip syncing or anything else? -_- Michael always gave his best in everything he did and made with very perfection, seriousness, love and magic for his fans. -_- :wub: The important thing is to have been there, seeing the man on stage and having lived all the emotions of that amazing moment of see Michael performing and then say: "I was there!!!!" :wild: :punk:

Yeah, totally agree with you, such a privilege

It is great that his fans don't mind if he lip syncs or not they are just happy to see him but it is still wrong to lip sync when the general public are paying for a live performance, i understand he has a lot of dancing to do and he puts serious energy into every performance but i think most fans would perfer less dancing if it meant more live singing. We all seen how bad whitney was on her last tour yet still she didn't resort to lip syncing, bad as it was it was live and that is what people pay for.

And who if matter with the lip syncing or anything else? -_- Michael always gave his best in everything he did and made with very perfection, seriousness, love and magic for his fans. -_- :wub:

I hate to bring negativity into this thread, but I still think Michael could have re-recorded vocals for songs on the tour, rather than just using the album versions.

I was aware. I remember being crushed. Also if I wasn't sure when I saw him in Sheffield I also went 3 days later at Wembley so any doubts I had were confirmed.

Having been a fan of Mike all my life, the HIStory concerts remain my biggest disappointment. I'm just glad I also have Bad & Dangerous tours to reflect on.

yes.. I am glad I have Victory & Bad to reflect on Greeat shows!! :punk:

Edit: Don't get me wrong.. I love the symbolism in HIStory Tour. Great.

Last edited:

:clapping::clapping: Great post!

I'm not a fan of lip syncing but i do understand why MJ did it. When he did sing live on the HIStory tour you can tell that something isn't right with his voice. It sounds like someone is strangling him.

Back