Those that saw MJ on HIStory Tour

really? cus I have Bucharest on DVD and that knocked it out of the park, ratingswise for HBO, and was the reason why HBO asked him to do it again. and i enjoyed that. and enjoying it was all i could think of.

I've never liked the Bucharest concert. I remember watching and recording (I still have the original recording) on BBC ONE in 1992 and was really disappointed. The original transmission is very dull and Michael doesn't have much energy in most of the performances. The HBO/DVD version is badly edited, with highlights from various European concerts and comes across as very contrived. And on HBO/DVD version of the extended breakdown of Billie Jean were Michael does variations of the Moonwalk, that has been re-edited and some brilliant camera angles of Michael moonwalking have been cut out. And the original BBC ONE version of Billie Jean performance extended moonwalk section is amazing.

The HBO version also cuts out the the video monatage intro with the classical song 'Carmina Burana', and this is on the original BBC version. And when Michael jumps up on stage, on the HBO version that's badly edited. He jumps, then goes down a fraction and goes up again. Some of the edited shots of Michael just standing still which have been edited in from various other Dangerous concerts are brilliant, but they don't match up. My guess is the Bucharest concert was re-edited because it wasn't an exciting concert, and an understandibly below par performance from Michael, considering he was have problems with his throat and had an operation on it days after the Bucharest concert.

I just think it's a shame, fans were given the Bucharest concert as the so far only official Michael Jackson concert release on DVD. There is much better professional that is truly representative of the 1992 European leg of Dangerous Tour, such as the MTV 'Michael Jackson's Dangerous Tour Diaries'. Anyone who attended Michael's concerts at Wembley will say that the Bucharest concert isn't a good representation of the Dangerous Tour. There will have been more below par performances on the 1992 leg, as Michael canceled some dates, and he was having health issues with his throat. And the Bucharest concert is one of those concerts. Even if fans love that concert, you will be even more in awe if another Dangerous concert from Wembley etc is released that isn't edited with various footage from other concerts.

The HBO Bucharest concert is the type of concerts people who don't like Michael could use to justify there view that Michael Jackson is in their view overrated and not a great live vocalist. The HBO Bucharest concert takes away the rawness of Michael Jackson live, makes Michael look very tacky. When other MTV footage shows how amazing and raw Michael is live, how classy and edgy his concerts are and how what an amazing live vocalist is. And if anything, MTV footage of the Dangerous Tour leave people who think Michael is overrated in shock, and very likely to agree that he is and was amazing live. That's they type of Dangerous concert that should be on DVD not the Bucharest concert. Yes it's still Michael Jackson than better than most artists live, but it's nowhere near as amazing as Michael was on the Dangerous Tour.

Last edited:
^^ wow Ben, you knowledge is quite impressive, you know so much.

As for my ignorant little self i can only speak of my own experience with the HIStory tour. Lip what? The only interesting things as far as lips were concerned were Michael's, but i couldn't see them properly since i was waaay up in the stands and even the jumbotron screens (is that what they were called?) couldn't help when it came to that vital detail.

All i remember is my excitement at sharing the same air with that wonderful man. I was trying to hold on to those precious moments and encapsulate them in my memory for a veryy long time.

I dare anyone to watch this and tell me that Bucharest was the right show to release from the Dangerous Tour:

Whenever I feel down and out and want escapism, I watch the Bucharest concert DVD. It doesn't matter how many times I watch it, the magic is always there. Of course, I realize some footage are taken from other concerts. But, the editing never takes away my enjoyment. To me, who has never been to any Michael Jackson concert, the DVD is the only way for me to feel the wonderment from Michael. I hope I'm right to say this. I think most people who watched the Bucharest concert DVD are amazed, instead of disappointed. The user reviews on Amazon are mostly positive.

I don't like comparing Michael's works. I don't compare his albums. To me, each one of them is special and should stand on its own. Comparing his albums is like asking parents to compare their children and pick a favorite. Simply impossible. I don't have a most favorite Michael Jackson album or a least favorite Michael Jackson album. I play them all and love them all.

I don't compare Michael's concert performance. Just like everybody else, he had good days, bad days, personal problems, health issues, etc... Just like everybody else, the man grew up, matured and aged. As talented as he was, he was not perfect in every single performance. But, Michael Jackson always gave his all. His professionalism was second to none. Look at his Earth Song and YANA performances in Michael Jackson and Friends in Munich in 1999. The man would really give his life to his audience. I appreciate his effort even more so than his perfect moonwalk.

Some people are keen to details and notice every step and note. Some people allow themselves to be absorbed in the experience and feel the magic. The fact that they were in the presence of the man and were able to feel his aura can let them forget their own problems and have a moment of joy. That memory would last a life time

There is no right or wrong. There will always be people who are disappointed by the lip synching. There will always be people who don't care and who don't mind.

For me, every single footage of him is a treasure. I refuse to overanalyze everything. I love his talents and accept his faults. He's a human being after all.

I certainly won't start faulting Michael Jackson (!!!) for a lousy HBO cutting job- bit unfair, don't you think? :cheeky:

... But, Michael Jackson always gave his all. His professionalism was second to none. Look at his Earth Song and YANA performances in Michael Jackson and Friends in Munich in 1999. The man would really give his life to his audience. I appreciate his effort even more so than his perfect moonwalk.

Some people are keen to details and notice every step and note. Some people allow themselves to be absorbed in the experience and feel the magic. The fact that they were in the presence of the man and were able to feel his aura can let them forget their own problems and have a moment of joy. That memory would last a life time

That's what I call the joyous connection. Just how lucky, think! Those that see the magic are the lucky ones- I prefer that a lot to not feeling the magic. Doesn't mean being blind.

Nobody is forced to accept what any artists offers to them- you are free to take it should it resonate with you. It's called free will. It's a two way street.

no1s disputing if the show was enjoyable or not, that particular show isnt the best. you dont even get the full feel of the concert due 2 the editing. The un edited version is 10xs better than the dvd, but the bucharest show in general isnt the best compared to other dates of the tour. Thats all he was saying.

yeah..i know what he was saying. but the feelings we get on Michael's performance are our own. mine is different from yours. one gets the impression of someone who comes across like wanting someone else to feel like the talker does..and that borders on offensive. and that is true if anybody does that. each of us feels how we individually feel on every level of the show, performance, the artist, editing, lack thereof, etc. that shouldn't even have to be mentioned. for me, seeing Bucharest, i was B.L.O.W.N. away. period. that doesn't make me more or less than someone who has something else to say about it.

Last edited:
yeah..i know what he was saying. but the feelings we get on Michael's performance are our own. mine is different from yours. one gets the impression of someone who comes across like wanting someone else to feel like the talker does..and that borders on offensive. and that is true if anybody does that. each of us feels how we individually feel on every level of the show, performance, the artist, editing, lack thereof, etc. that shouldn't even have to be mentioned. for me, seeing Bucharest, i was B.L.O.W.N. away. period. that doesn't make me more or less than someone who has something else to say about it.

i'm not telling you how 2 feel i simply was further explaining what he meant seeing as how you response didnt relate 2it.

yes..my response related to it. it's a different version of what someone else posted, about comparing concerts. they said it's like trying to compare children. Michael's power was in all of his performances. that's in contrast to you saying that one leg of the tour was stronger than another leg of the tour, or one concert was better than the other, or you not getting as much out of an edited broadcast as you did out of another non edited concert. that's what i am saying, in general.

yes..my response related to it. it's a different version of what someone else posted, about comparing concerts. they said it's like trying to compare children. Michael's power was in all of his performances. that's in contrast to you saying that one leg of the tour was stronger than another leg of the tour, or one concert was better than the other, or you not getting as much out of an edited broadcast as you did out of another non edited concert. that's what i am saying, in general.

Concert dates can be compared, don't you think Michael didn't have performances he's not 100% satisfied with, wear he wasn't pleased with his vocals on a night, or his dancing. No matter how much of a genius someone like Michael is, there are always going to be some concert dates or performances that aren't up to there own high standard.

Michael's reasons for not up to his standard performances, are from either not feeling well (which is understandable on very long tours, and Michael like most well established artists hated touring, and toured for his fans and nothing else), or being bored and complacent.

If you do research on the Dangerous Tour, well will find out that it was actually a very grueling and stressful tour. First off, the Dangerous Tour was put together in a rush, as confirmed recently by Jennifer Batten (MJ tour guitar player), as Michael was also very busy with other business commitments. The European leg, Michael wasn't really in a fully fit state to tour, due to issues with his throat and dates were canceled because of this. There was actually one Wembley Stadium concert that was canceled and hour or less before Michael was due on stage, with around 72'000 fans already in the stadium. That date was rescheduled, to a date in August 1992. Michael was also having to but up with the then worst media abuse he had face, with photographs printed in The Mirror, falsely saying Michael had a hole in his nose, and that his face was falling apart and melting under the concert spotlights etc.

The 1993 leg was even more stressful for Michael because of he was being framed over the false child abuse allegations by Jordan Chandler, and his father Evan. Sometimes a person can still perform to their own high standard when they are ill or stressed. Michael obviously got a lot of own natural energy on dates over his whole career when he wasn't in his best shape to pull off amazing performances on various concerts. But the Bucharest concert, and I mean the real BBC version on the fake HBO highlights (were it's even obvious shots of fans are from different stadiums across Europe), you will see Michael is zapped of energy, and manages to get his energy on some performances, but not on most of them.

If you think the HBO Bucharest concert is amazing, and it blew you away then brilliant as I have no problem with that. But if you think that is a true representation of the Dangerous Tour and Michael Jackson's genius live on stage, then I think your still not fully aware of how amazing Michael Jackson was live, and how amazing the Dangerous Tour was, as that DVD underestimates the experience of the Dangerous Tour at it's best.

Another thing is no film can actually capture what it was like to actually see Michael Jackson live with your own eyes and see him right in front of you, and I know that from my own experience. But having seen Michael live on his Bad, Dangerous and HIStory Tours, I know (as will other fans who have attended Michael's concerts) what footage of his concerts come close to that experience. The Bucharest DVD doesn't and the fact it has been badly edited and chopped up, completely losses a lot about Michael. Even the dull authentic original BBC ONE transmission, and parts of it that really captures Michael's pure genius on stage because it's real and fluid. The HBO version is not fluid.

Last edited:
I know that alot of fans dislike the Off The Wall medley for understanable reasons but the dance that MJ does at the end of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough was freaking awesome!

I am sorry I feel really stupid. The Bucharest dvd that footage is not all from Bucharest but different parts from different shows? I am looking at all the comments and that is what I am reading right? I never saw michael in concert but I really like the Bucharest dvd.

Michael Jackson/Oxford Speech said:
"If I did a great show, he would tell me it was a good show. And if I did an OK show, he said nothing..."

No wonder he has expressed over and over why it is so important to children to experience unconditional love.

It's amazing to me to be going on and on about someone's "weaknesses", while we're talking about one of the most influential artists of the latter 20th century, into the 21 century.

An artist of his standing also knows about his performances. I'm sure he had those that he respected who'd tell him their opinions- say, Seth Riggs- that man doesn't sound like he's was kissing anyone's behind. Or Dorian Holley and Travis Payne- those people simply seem to be able to respect while coaching him.

Michael has accomplished so much, lived through so much adversity, done so much in 50 years- he's not infallible either, but who would want to hang with someone who's constantly rubbing in what they perceive as your failures?
Even on a "horrible" show he made a thousands scream- even cut together from many shows, 'cause apparently people screamed enough in every show, lol.

My God, how often did he say he just wanted to be loved?
What more does he have to do?

It was the Bucharest show that made me a fan at 12 years old.
It was the first thing I have ever heard of him, or saw of him. There was no Jackson 5 music where I grew up- in 1992/1993 I hadn't heard a single piece of his music- but plenty of flawless Opera and seen Ballets since I was 5. He still got to me like sun burns itself into your skin.
Forever. Because underneath the vocals and the editing I FELT something hitting me straight in my stomach, straight into who I was- coming at through a TV. I will never forget how freakin' mesmerized (he said it best, watching James Brown) I was by the time "Man in the Mirror" came on. What he said about James Brown- that he is to me. It's that skinny man that made me want to try write my own music by the time I was 14.

There are not too many people who have been given his gifts to reach people.
And that something is hard to describe, something you either have- or you don't.

He has it and no whining critic, journalist or naysayer ever took it from him.

He's not a deity, but pretty close to Sainthood, considering his life, trials and successes. His "50%" were more than other people's "100%".

Last edited:
I am sorry I feel really stupid. The Bucharest dvd that footage is not all from Bucharest but different parts from different shows? I am looking at all the comments and that is what I am reading right? I never saw michael in concert but I really like the Bucharest dvd.

apologizing? for what? stupid? i don't think so.

Concert dates can be compared, don't you think Michael didn't have performances he's not 100% satisfied with, wear he wasn't pleased with his vocals on a night, or his dancing. No matter how much of a genius someone like Michael is, there are always going to be some concert dates or performances that aren't up to there own high standard.

Michael's reasons for not up to his standard performances, are from either not feeling well (which is understandable on very long tours, and Michael like most well established artists hated touring, and toured for his fans and nothing else), or being bored and complacent.

If you do research on the Dangerous Tour, well will find out that it was actually a very grueling and stressful tour. First off, the Dangerous Tour was put together in a rush, as confirmed recently by Jennifer Batten (MJ tour guitar player), as Michael was also very busy with other business commitments. The European leg, Michael wasn't really in a fully fit state to tour, due to issues with his throat and dates were canceled because of this. There was actually one Wembley Stadium concert that was canceled and hour or less before Michael was due on stage, with around 72'000 fans already in the stadium. That date was rescheduled, to a date in August 1992. Michael was also having to but up with the then worst media abuse he had face, with photographs printed in The Mirror, falsely saying Michael had a hole in his nose, and that his face was falling apart and melting under the concert spotlights etc.

The 1993 leg was even more stressful for Michael because of he was being framed over the false child abuse allegations by Jordan Chandler, and his father Evan. Sometimes a person can still perform to their own high standard when they are ill or stressed. Michael obviously got a lot of own natural energy on dates over his whole career when he wasn't in his best shape to pull off amazing performances on various concerts. But the Bucharest concert, and I mean the real BBC version on the fake HBO highlights (were it's even obvious shots of fans are from different stadiums across Europe), you will see Michael is zapped of energy, and manages to get his energy on some performances, but not on most of them.

If you think the HBO Bucharest concert is amazing, and it blew you away then brilliant as I have no problem with that. But if you think that is a true representation of the Dangerous Tour and Michael Jackson's genius live on stage, then I think your still not fully aware of how amazing Michael Jackson was live, and how amazing the Dangerous Tour was, as that DVD underestimates the experience of the Dangerous Tour at it's best.

Another thing is no film can actually capture what it was like to actually see Michael Jackson live with your own eyes and see him right in front of you, and I know that from my own experience. But having seen Michael live on his Bad, Dangerous and HIStory Tours, I know (as will other fans who have attended Michael's concerts) what footage of his concerts come close to that experience. The Bucharest DVD doesn't and the fact it has been badly edited and chopped up, completely losses a lot about Michael. Even the dull authentic original BBC ONE transmission, and parts of it that really captures Michael's pure genius on stage because it's real and fluid. The HBO version is not fluid.

i can be blind and know you're still a member here, to see that Michael's genius is endless.

the HBO version was fluid. for me.

No, the Bucharest DVD is not all from Bucharest. There are footages from other tour dates. For example, the girl he hugged during She's Out of My Life was from Germany.

But, it doesn't matter. If you like the DVD, continue to let yourself enjoy it. Just let myself be carried away by Michael.

For those of us who have never been to a Michael Jackson concert. The DVD is the closest we can get; until the Estate decides to release footage from other tour dates.

Many fans became fans because of the Bucharest show on HBO. I fell into him when I saw the broadcast back in the 90's.

My friends and I went to a restaurant a couple years ago. We were waiting for our table. They showed the Bucharest concert in the waiting area. Who knows? May be the owner of the restaurant is a Michael Jackson fan. Instead of complaining about the waiting time, chichating with others, doing other stuff to kill time, people just watched the big screen TV. Even non-fans were mesmerized. We kinda want to wait longer for our table, so that we could keep watching. Dull is never a word I can assoicate with a Michael Jackson performance. He drove people wild by just standing still.

Those who have attended a Michael Jackson concert are lucky. Those who have attended BAD tour, Dangerous tour and HIStory tour are blessed. How much I would give to go to just one show... :cry:

I know that alot of fans dislike the Off The Wall medley for understanable reasons but the dance that MJ does at the end of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough was freaking awesome!

It was great. Probably the only part of the performance I like.

He really should have recorded new vocals for the HIStory Tour. It would have improved it so much. It cant take too much time to do it.

No, the Bucharest DVD is not all from Bucharest. There are footages from other tour dates. For example, the girl he hugged during She's Out of My Life was from Germany.

But, it doesn't matter. If you like the DVD, continue to let yourself enjoy it. Just let myself be carried away by Michael.

For those of us who have never been to a Michael Jackson concert. The DVD is the closest we can get; until the Estate decides to release footage from other tour dates.

Many fans became fans because of the Bucharest show on HBO. I fell into him when I saw the broadcast back in the 90's.

My friends and I went to a restaurant a couple years ago. We were waiting for our table. They showed the Bucharest concert in the waiting area. Who knows? May be the owner of the restaurant is a Michael Jackson fan. Instead of complaining about the waiting time, chichating with others, doing other stuff to kill time, people just watched the big screen TV. Even non-fans were mesmerized. We kinda want to wait longer for our table, so that we could keep watching. Dull is never a word I can assoicate with a Michael Jackson performance. He drove people wild by just standing still.

Those who have attended a Michael Jackson concert are lucky. Those who have attended BAD tour, Dangerous tour and HIStory tour are blessed. How much I would give to go to just one show... :cry:

Thanks. I didn't know that. I just assumed it was the same place. It doesn't take anything away from me. I still love it.

Apart from the lip-syncing, I really like the Off The Wall - Medley, and your right, dance you mentioned at the end of 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' is awesome.

I would loved to have seen Michael perform a full album version of 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough', same he only ever sang a few lyrics from on on the Victory Tour and 1987 leg of the Bad Tour when performing 'Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground), as I would loved to have seen Michael perform 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough'. I wonder why he dropped the Off The Wall - Medley by the time the HIStory Tour came to Europe, as I remember looking forward to seeing Michael do that medley, and also D.S and Come Together.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!!!!! i ALWAYS rewind it and go again! and even when im listening 2 the full song towards the end i just see michael doing his lil jigg and then when he does the chicken dance omg! lmmfao haha!!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!!!!! i ALWAYS rewind it and go again! and even when im listening 2 the full song towards the end i just see michael doing his lil jigg and then when he does the chicken dance omg! lmmfao haha!!

I love Michael's funky chicken dance! :D

I would have wanted to see the Off The Wall medley! It is so laid back and groovy :girl_dance:

It's a bit sad he didn't perform any of the rarities (OTW medley, BOTDF...) here in Finland :girl_sigh:

I think that's a big part of it, if you had nothing to compare it to (back then there was no Dangerous Tour DVD and no YouTube) so I guess the HIStory tour was the only experience. And if you didn't know he was miming then the experience may have been very different.

These are only my experiences after all and if you/others loved it then that's brilliant.

I guess for me it's like comparing hearing Dangerous & Invincible for the first times!

I understand totally where you are coming from - I was at the Bad/Dangerous tours and they were full of firsts and extreme crowd reaction. I am of an older generation who first saw Michael in the 70's but I think that looking at the History DVD the format is pretty much the same - however I am always mesmerised by him. Lip syncing - I have no problem with this if I know the artist can sing in the first place - its those who have to rely on lip syncing and technology to get through an entire show that would bother me!

Back