Thriller 3D Update

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
UPDATE! Thriller a IMAX 3D!

https://youtu.be/UbW7nOThWuE

To celebrate Michael Jackson’s birthday leading into Halloween, IMAX has decided to give the King of Pop’s groundbreaking music video Thriller the IMAX treatment. IMAX and Jackson’s estate are partnering to digitally re-master Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D in IMAX 3D for the first time. Per the press release, the exclusive engagement will run for one week only, beginning September 21st in domestic IMAX theatres—ahead of showings of Amblin’s The House with a Clock in Its Walls.

The press release continues:

In creating Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D, which had its world premiere at the 74th Venice Film Festival, the original iconic short film, directed by John Landis and written by Landis and Michael Jackson, was not reedited or recut in any way. Optimum Productions brought Landis in and together they supervised an elaborate and labor-intensive process that began with the original 35mm film negative from Michael’s archives and resulted in a 3D conversion of the acclaimed film using the latest available technology. Additionally, all of the audio, including Michael’s music, Elmer Bernstein’s score and sound effects, were adapted to 5.7, 7.1 and Atmos standards in order to create the highest quality audio experience for in theater viewing.

This sounds like a fun and smart way to re-release Thriller to a younger audience that may have never seen it, and also to an audience that will like the PG-scares the music video entails. Rather than putting the music video as a standalone thing, it’s now a way to draw people out to see The House with a Clock in Its Walls, and both projects should benefit from Thriller’s inclusion.

Last edited:
I'll be walking out of the cinema after Thriller has finished.

For the love of god to a home release of this. this year.

Called it!

Coincidentally this House film has the same certificate as Thriller for the UK.

dam2040 the BBFC rated Thriller for home release when they rated it theatrically. It would appear they were submitted at the same time.

Called it!

Coincidentally this House film has the same certificate as Thriller for the UK.

dam2040 the BBFC rated Thriller for home release when they rated it theatrically. It would appear they were submitted at the same time.

Awesome awesome. Let's hope it's soon!

“Michael loved to give his fans the latest and greatest in technology and entertainment experiences so a partnership with IMAX to bring THRILLER 3D to theaters made perfect sense. Fans are going to love this,” said John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson.

Is there a full statement from the Estate? Should we not have received it?

Would love to see Thriller 3D in IMAX!!

But I look very much forward to the Blu-Ray and/or 4K release. - Hope this is a success so they will also do it with Ghosts.

Is this for every cinema, or select ones? If it's playing locally to Me, I'd be tempted to go every day :D

We don't have confirmation yet of the UK release. But there is a UK plan in place given that the IMAX film was submitted to the BBFC for them to rate. Contact your local IMAX cinemas, request it, make some noise! I already contacted Cineworld this morning.

Hope normal cinemas will also show it - we don't have an IMAX in the city I live - actually I think there is only 1 IMAX in Denmark - in Copenhagen...

We don't have confirmation yet of the UK release. But there is a UK plan in place given that the IMAX film was submitted to the BBFC for them to rate. Contact your local IMAX cinemas, request it, make some noise! I already contacted Cineworld this morning.

Thanks for that! Will do :D

I'm more curious than anything.. I am more about footage and audio I've never seen/heard.

But I'm still waiting..

I had the experience last year in Paris at Le Grand Rex and it was incredible. The 3D... Michael was like in front of me, and the picture quality... WOW ! You MUST watch it at least once in your life at the theater !

7cd3f04a15095dfa6aff59e96f1bef8b.png

So it seems that the biggest IMAX cinema in Holland won’t be showing it. I guess I can never see this.

In this article it says across the USA, hopefully it will be extended to other countries.

'Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D' to Be Remastered for IMAX

By Associated Press

Published at 10:18 AM EDT on Aug 29, 20184

'Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D' to Be Remastered for IMAX
Getty Images

Michael Jackson performs during halftime at Super Bowl XXVII between the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills.

Michael Jackson's estate and IMAX are partnering to digitally remaster "Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D" into IMAX 3D.

The partnership was announced Wednesday, which would have been the singer's 60th birthday. It will be released in IMAX theaters across the U.S. for one week, beginning Sept. 21.

The estate's co-executors say Jackson loved to give his fans the "latest and greatest in technology and entertainment experiences."

The short film, directed by John Landis, premiered in Los Angeles in 1983. The 3D version was first shown at the 74th Venice Film Festival in 2017.

•Getting Away for Labor Day? Worst Traffic Times

The remastered release precedes the launch of Amblin Entertainment's fantasy film, "The House with a Clock in Its Walls," starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett.

Jackson was 50 years old when he died in June 2009.

I just want to see it already... I feel like there is a lot of hype for this.. and for something that is basically a cool version of something decades old.. it's like "on with it" already.. we are waiting too long for something old

I just want to see it already... I feel like there is a lot of hype for this.. and for something that is basically a cool version of something decades old.. it's like "on with it" already.. we are waiting too long for something old

Exactly, the film has been ready for over a year. John Branca also implied he has seen ghosts in 3D at the q and a as well.

Well, I thought I might finally break down and pay money to go to an IMAX theatre, but one week only? And the week I'll be out of town?

Why only one week??

Well, I thought I might finally break down and pay money to go to an IMAX theatre, but one week only? And the week I'll be out of town?

Why only one week??

I don't really understanding this?? Why re make it in 3D to show it for only 1 week. What am I missing?

Why only one week??

They said This Is It was a limited engagement too...

it should be in every IMAX all over the world. Especialy in Russia xD

ChrisC;4229367 said:
“Michael loved to give his fans the latest and greatest in technology and entertainment experiences so a partnership with IMAX to bring THRILLER 3D to theaters made perfect sense. Fans are going to love this,” said John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson.

Is there a full statement from the Estate? Should we not have received it?

It's been released in entertainment media statements/articles and John Branca spoke about it in the Q & A session at Michael's Diamond Birthday celebration in Las Vegas, I believe.

I doubt it will get a cinema release in Denmark...

But then I'll just wait for the Blu-Ray/UHD 4K release. - That will be great too.

To be honest - Ghosts restored into 4K would be even better IMO than Thriller. - Hope we get both. :)

Why a Jack Black film?

Didn't he insult Michael at a MTV awards show?

Back