Thriller 3D Update

The IMAX trailer looked fine to me. Did you show both versions?

I remain confused despite the clarification from the Estate. If you search the IMAX website, as they advise you to do, it brings up several UK cinemas but I could only find ONE in the UK that has "with Thriller 3D" written beside it and that's the IMAX at Bluewater. I'm going to assume that all the other IMAX cinemas in the UK are showing Thriller in 2D before House. This isn't out of the question given the BBFC rated both Thriller 3D and Thriller 2D. Though I would be disappointed slightly to not enjoy the 3D effect, I am still delighted to see it at my local IMAX which just so happens to be one of the world's largest.

That said, and with tickets for Friday morning purchased, I still have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that this is actually happening. The company running the cinema say they know nothing about it.

I watched the one on the IMAX website, I don't think there's a difference.

The IMAX trailer looked fine to me. Did you show both versions?

I remain confused despite the clarification from the Estate. If you search the IMAX website, as they advise you to do, it brings up several UK cinemas but I could only find ONE in the UK that has "with Thriller 3D" written beside it and that's the IMAX at Bluewater. I'm going to assume that all the other IMAX cinemas in the UK are showing Thriller in 2D before House. This isn't out of the question given the BBFC rated both Thriller 3D and Thriller 2D. Though I would be disappointed slightly to not enjoy the 3D effect, I am still delighted to see it at my local IMAX which just so happens to be one of the world's largest.

That said, and with tickets for Friday morning purchased, I still have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that this is actually happening. The company running the cinema say they know nothing about it.

Yeah uh, I'm pretty confused myself...

Closest to me is in Cardiff, it says it's showing the movie, but how the hell do I know that Thriller is showing? I won't bother to watch it if Thriller isn't there.

Bluewater says "With Thriller 3D," so is this movie showing in 2D and 3D or what? It's still a bit vague. Alicia said it's showing in a variety of cinemas in the UK... so I guess it's 2D and 3D?

My logic just might be wishful thinking on my part. Oooh dear...

Last edited:
Yeah uh, I'm pretty confused myself...

Closest to me is in Cardiff, it says it's showing the movie, but how the hell do I know that Thriller is showing? I won't bother to watch it if Thriller isn't there.

Bluewater says "With Thriller 3D," so is this movie showing in 2D and 3D or what? It's still a bit vague. Alicia said it's showing in a variety of cinemas in the UK... so I guess it's 2D and 3D?

My logic just might be wishful thinking on my part. Oooh dear...

So I think Bluewater is the only one that's getting Thriller in 3D and the rest of us are getting Thriller 2D. As far as I can tell there are absolutely NO screenings of House in IMAX 3D anywhere. The confirmed screenings of Thriller 3D will be given glasses only for Thriller and will remove them for the main feature. That is what I'm getting from all this.

From looking at the IMAX website it would seem that your local IMAX is operated by Odeon. My local Odeon IMAX is not listed on the IMAX website despite them actually showing House. It seems so strange that Odeon would only play Thriller at some IMAX locations. Why not all? Something just isn't right here...

With regards to the criticism. I am a little skeptical about it. There's been clear inconsistencies from some people - even over the course of this thread - which makes me feel a little suspicious. I've never associated any negative opinion on here as being remotely driven by an anti-Estate agenda, but with this I am certainly, for once, suspicious.

Some fans have flat out claimed they "probably" won't watch the Thriller remaster - in any form. I mean, that's unfathomable to me. It does leave one wondering if these people will ever be happy with anything. And hey, I'll eat my words if the remaster does indeed turn out to be a complete mess. But no ones seen the IMAX version yet and I'm reserving any opinion until I do.

Edit: Cineworld have again just tweeted me stating they are not screening Thriller in any of their cinemas. So if you've got tickets for a Cineworld IMAX screening you're out of luck. I think it's just Showcase Bluewater that's showing it in the whole of the UK hahaha

Last edited:
So I think Bluewater is the only one that's getting Thriller in 3D and the rest of us are getting Thriller 2D. As far as I can tell there are absolutely NO screenings of House in IMAX 3D anywhere. The confirmed screenings of Thriller 3D will be given glasses only for Thriller and will remove them for the main feature. That is what I'm getting from all this.

From looking at the IMAX website it would seem that your local IMAX is operated by Odeon. My local Odeon IMAX is not listed on the IMAX website despite them actually showing House. It seems so strange that Odeon would only play Thriller at some IMAX locations. Why not all? Something just isn't right here...

With regards to the criticism. I am a little skeptical about it. There's been clear inconsistencies from some people - even over the course of this thread - which makes me feel a little suspicious. I've never associated any negative opinion on here as being remotely driven by an anti-Estate agenda, but with this I am certainly, for once, suspicious.

Some fans have flat out claimed they "probably" won't watch the Thriller remaster - in any form. I mean, that's unfathomable to me. It does leave one wondering if these people will ever be happy with anything. And hey, I'll eat my words if the remaster does indeed turn out to be a complete mess. But no ones seen the IMAX version yet and I'm reserving any opinion until I do.

Yeah I emailed Alicia to ask for some clarification but I don't think I'll get anything...

Yeah I emailed Alicia to ask for some clarification but I don't think I'll get anything...

If it is only showing in one UK cinema then they've a real cheek releasing that statement last night.

Just does no favours for their reputation.

Yeah it's probably the only one... wouldn't surprise me.

I've searched all the major UK cities on the IMAX website and Showcase Bluewater is the only one that has 'with Thriller 3D' next to it. If anyone has found any others please let me know!

Edit: someone just tweeted me that Bluewater has confirmed they will not be screening Thriller either. What a complete shambles. Thriller is not screening anywhere in the UK at this point.

Last edited:
ChrisC;4230858 said:
I've searched all the major UK cities on the IMAX website and Showcase Bluewater is the only one that has 'with Thriller 3D' next to it. If anyone has found any others please let me know!

Edit: someone just tweeted me that Bluewater has confirmed they will not be screening Thriller either. What a complete shambles. Thriller is not screening anywhere in the UK at this point.
Wtf?! The Estate need to sort themselves out or get someone to release some info. It’s out in 2 days.

Strange that it's not showing up in the UK using Alicia's link. Last week I found it in the US at one cinema about 40 miles away. Yesterday, using the link and some digging, I found it in a LOT of theatres here. One I used to go to frequently.
Just never saw a 3D or IMAX film before.
So, hooray. Maybe it will start popping up in the UK today.

Strange that it's not showing up in the UK using Alicia's link. Last week I found it in the US at one cinema about 40 miles away. Yesterday, using the link and some digging, I found it in a LOT of theatres here. One I used to go to frequently.
Just never saw a 3D or IMAX film before.
So, hooray. Maybe it will start popping up in the UK today.

On the contrary, it does show up in the UK using Alicia's link. The problem is these cinemas state they are not showing it. So the IMAX website would appear to be wrong. And the Estate appear to be wrong.

On the contrary, it does show up in the UK using Alicia's link. The problem is these cinemas state they are not showing it. So the IMAX website would appear to be wrong. And the Estate appear to be wrong.
Well, if that's the case, I had better call the cinema before I head over there. Everything's a recording so it's hard to get a person.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the first time ever, experience Michael Jackson’s Thriller in IMAX 3D, before <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HouseWithAClock?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HouseWithAClock</a>. Only in IMAX. Secure your seat: <a href="https://t.co/ERrASaFMww">https://t.co/ERrASaFMww</a> <a href="https://t.co/3WahaDM8Gl">pic.twitter.com/3WahaDM8Gl</a></p>&mdash; IMAX (@IMAX) <a href="https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/1042126109666697216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">18. September 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You know it. You’ve danced to it. Now feel that unmistakable beat of Michael Jackson’s Thriller in IMAX 3D. <a href="https://t.co/IrqtrpKeed">pic.twitter.com/IrqtrpKeed</a></p>&mdash; IMAX (@IMAX) <a href="https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/1042428102318673920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">19. September 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, if that's the case, I had better call the cinema before I head over there. Everything's a recording so it's hard to get a person.

The issue would appear to only be affecting outside North America. Your screening will be fine.

On the phone to Cineworld now, will update for all UK fans. been told they are showing it at some Cineworld venues

Cineworld have no idea if they will be showing it. Certain cinemas are supposed to be getting it, but I have to call on Friday to see if they are in fact showing 'Thriller 3D'. What an absolute joke.

What about the Netherlands or Europe in general. This is not funny. I really want to experience this.

IMWhizzle;4230874 said:
What about the Netherlands or Europe in general. This is not funny. I really want to experience this.

Looks like you either have to be in the US or attended one of the “Scream” parties. Absolutely ridiculous.

Honestly the Estate have screwed absolutely everything up since 2010 so I have no blame here for IMAX or any of the UK cinema chains.

They are a completely amateur outfit.

dam2040;4230875 said:
Looks like you either have to be in the US or attended one of the &#8220;Scream&#8221; parties. Absolutely ridiculous.

Nope, not just the US, its playing in every IMAX in Canada. I know we are often an afterthought for most of the world, but we are a country! Im pumped to go see it... There are 7 IMAX theatres within an hour of me all of which are showing Thriller.

Honestly the Estate have screwed absolutely everything up since 2010 so I have no blame here for IMAX or any of the UK cinema chains.

They are a completely amateur outfit.

Screwed everything up?

-Love Never Felt So Good.....world wide Top 10 hit
-Don't Matter To Me....world wide Top 10 hit
-Xscape (went top 3 in almost every country)
-Cirque Du Soleil Immortal grossed over $300 million US and was a massive success
-Vegas Cirque show is the 2nd highest grossing show on the strip and doing incredible
-THIS IS IT biggest grossing concert documentary ever with 260 million gross.
-THIS IS IT soundtrack #1 all over the world
-THIS IS IT DVD, best selling music video ever with 12 million shipped
-Michael Jackson The Experience, very successful video game
-Bad 25 (very well done, great package)
-60th Bday Diamond Celebration, world class event in Vegas with multiple other events all over the world

Now Thriller 3D, and a new broadway musical on the way. The only real failure was the 3 fake tracks on Michael. Other than that, the estate has been doing a great job at reminding the world about MJ the artist, bringing the attention back to his music, and re-affirming MJ's musical legacy for the casual non MJ fan listener.

Screwed everything up?

-Love Never Felt So Good.....world wide Top 10 hit
-Don't Matter To Me....world wide Top 10 hit
-Xscape (went top 3 in almost every country)
-Cirque Du Soleil Immortal grossed over $300 million US and was a massive success
-Vegas Cirque show is the 2nd highest grossing show on the strip and doing incredible
-THIS IS IT biggest grossing concert documentary ever with 260 million gross.
-THIS IS IT soundtrack #1 all over the world
-THIS IS IT DVD, best selling music video ever with 12 million shipped
-Michael Jackson The Experience, very successful video game
-Bad 25 (very well done, great package)
-60th Bday Diamond Celebration, world class event in Vegas with multiple other events all over the world

Now Thriller 3D, and a new broadway musical on the way. The only real failure was the 3 fake tracks on Michael. Other than that, the estate has been doing a great job at reminding the world about MJ the artist, bringing the attention back to his music, and re-affirming MJ's musical legacy for the casual non MJ fan listener.

Most of their 'success' have nothing to do with them. Cirque created those shows, Ubisoft created the game and Sony or whoever edited and released This is It, the Estate just took 90% of the profit.

The Estate's own projects have included fake songs [this ruined their credibility forever] and poorly remastered VHS tapes.

I wouldn't brag about "Love Never Felt So Good" being a top 10 hit either. It was a poor choice for a lead single as were "This Is It" after Michael's passing and "Hold My Hand" from the 'Michael' album. With all the attention that was on Michael at those times they could have easily gotten at least one more number 1 single with better lead single choices.

the color is off for sure, there is no question.. That said, in theater setting (dark) blues alluminate a bit differently. What I am saying is that it shouldn't be as noticable.. Plus, it will be 3D, blues & reds are used specifically to create 3D effects.. He wears a lot of red in the video so the blues have to be heightened during the 3D rendering process. Some of that would be lost with the glasses.

We are trippin' out too much off these pics

Maybe the color was more like this in the original film they scanned? They might have changed it for the TV version or something.

My closest IMAX (in Port Solent, Portsmouth) isn't showing it either. This is their reply.
"I'm afraid this isn't available in our cinemas at the moment. - Shakira"

I think I'll probably phone up on Friday. If it's playing, I want to see it!

Thursday, September 27, 2018PicturehousePicture House BradfordBradfordUnited Kingdom
Thursday, September 27, 2018Light CinemasLight CambridgeCambridgeUnited Kingdom

UK cinemas showing Thriller 3D.

Thursday, September 27, 2018PicturehousePicture House BradfordBradfordUnited Kingdom
Thursday, September 27, 2018Light CinemasLight CambridgeCambridgeUnited Kingdom

UK cinemas showing Thriller 3D.

Laughable.

Laughable.

It's so bad it's not even funny.

What on earth is the problem? The mj estate obviously want it to be shown because that's how they'll make money. Imax are promoting it so they want it shown. The cinema chains themselves appear to be vetoing it. They didn't veto this is it, so why this??

All we can do is plague the cinema chains with tweets and calls.

looks like Russia for some reason is off the table.
i've contacted local IMAX, they said it looks like no rights for demonstartion was provided by owner studio, and should contact local destributer for info.
so i did, i've contacted Sony Pictures Russia, it was lovely phone conversation about whole situation, and still it looks like no rights were provided by Sony Pictures USA.
i asked very kind lady from Russian office to try her best to solve this awful situation, and later on i wrote a letter to Sony Pictures USA to fix this issue as well.

Haven't put much hope in this movements, but who knows? otherwise this Thriller IMAX 3D would become an international flop for Sony as world wibe destributer of cinema content.

Back