Thriller Live: The Musical at the West End. You opinions? Will you go?

Tell me your opinion on Thriller Live!

• I have seen Thriller Live before and nothing will keep me away from London!

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I have seen Thriller Live before and I’ll wait for a tour date near me.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • I have seen Thriller Live before and nothing will get me to see it again. (Terrible show)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I have never seen Thriller Live and can’t wait to see it in the West End

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I have never seen Thriller Live and will wait for a UK tour date near me

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • I have never seen Thriller Live and don’t want to see it.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • I can’t make up my mind.

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
Whoa, tickets are from 13.50? That's good.

I dunno if I'll manage it though, it's in West London?

They are cheaper tickets but you get what you pay for so I am guessing the view would not be good.

has anyone seen the show in london which started its 3 month stint on Friday 2 days ago, if so was it sold out and was it good???? i really want to go see it!

We went to see this show in Amsterdam (Holland) and had a great time, we had 2nd row seats and i surely intend on going again if they do a show in my country in the future.
I just hope we'll have a cooler crowd next time, when we went to Amsterdam some people around us kept talking (during the show) and in the end they got quite annoying.

has anyone seen the show in london which started its 3 month stint on Friday 2 days ago, if so was it sold out and was it good???? i really want to go see it!

Hey, I just got back from the show tonight! I'm telling you it was fantastic!!! Great vocals by all lead singers, they didn't try and make it their own song, they sang songs as you would want to hear them.
The dancing was amazing, great choreography.

They definitely kept me entertained, getting people on their feet, etc.

Worth seeing.

If we're talking about attendance....FULL HOUSE!!!! :D I loved the fact that it was sold out, shows that Michael's music is still in people's hearts.

Hey, I just got back from the show tonight! I'm telling you it was fantastic!!! Great vocals by all lead singers, they didn't try and make it their own song, they sang songs as you would want to hear them.
The dancing was amazing, great choreography.

They definitely kept me entertained, getting people on their feet, etc.

Worth seeing.

If we're talking about attendance....FULL HOUSE!!!! :D I loved the fact that it was sold out, shows that Michael's music is still in people's hearts.

Thats great news, thanks for your reply!

Now off to book tickets!!!

Hey, there's no choice (in the vote) for 'I would love to see it if it ever gets within 100 miles of my house'. lol

I would go in a second if the tix aren't too high!!

To those that have seen it - how is the dancing???

Yeh i would see it too, if it ever comes to australia

My best mate got me tickets for xmas, 3rd row, poor guy spent a fortune lol. Can't wait though, the two of us are going in March. I'm travelling down from Newcastle for it, have never seen the show before so am excited. I keep threatening to make my mate wear one of my (many) MJ t-shirts when we go!

i'm going to see it on friday the 23rd of january!!! can't wait!!

I don't know what to vote for, because I live in America and would love to see it, but I can't get to the UK.

It seems that all the good stuff happens far from me. :(

I voted for "I have never seen Thriller Live, and don't want to see it".

I have no interest in seeing people try to impersonate Michael Jackson, when I've seen Michael Jackson perform live many times. Seeing people impersonate Michael Jackson is just a joke to me. You'd be better off buying the Bo 'Selecta' DVD !!!

they are not impersonating MJ they are singing is song in a salute to him. Its a great show celebrating his incredbile back catalogue. I was it in 2007, 2008 and im going back to see it in march 2009

cannot wait ! always a great fantastic evening :D

I would like to see this show, but living in Romania is not so easy to go to London to see the show :no:
But if this show will come to Romania will certainly go to see! :yes:

I have no interest in seeing people try to impersonate Michael Jackson, when I've seen Michael Jackson perform live many times. Seeing people impersonate Michael Jackson is just a joke to me. You'd be better off buying the Bo 'Selecta' DVD !!!

With the man himself only having toured a few times in the last 30 years and with no realistic expectation of seeing him in concert for the next year or two, this is the only option.

I just found this on yahoo, it is not the first time claiming

Ricko Baird, who co-choreographed Michael Jackson's Number 1 hit "You Rock My World" and doubled for him in the video, dances on stage to "Smooth Criminal" at the press preview for the musical "Thriller Live" at the Lyric Theatre in London January 8, 2009. Baird was also the lead dancer on the "Michael Jackson and Friends Tour".
REUTERS/Andrew Parsons (BRITAIN)
r3293818952.jpg

I have written to the staff of Thriller live, they should clear up that, but never got an answer. Next time, if they ever will come again to Germany I wouldn't go or I go an will boo at the theatre. I am so mad about this claim.

Very nice, good food for the tabloids.

Look at this man, never he can give the impersonator of Michael, it is not his shape, never. He is too thick!

The full cast has been confirmed for Thriller Live, featuring the songs of Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5, which opens at the Lyric Theatre Shaftesbury Ave, on 21 Jan 2009, following previews from 2 Jan 2009 - booking to 12 April 2009.

Former 5 Star lead vocalist, songwriter and Brit Award-winner Denise Pearson makes her West End debut. She is joined by Ricko Baird, who co-choreographed Michael Jackson's Number 1 hit, "You Rock My World", and doubled for him in the video. He was also lead dancer alongside Michael himself on "Dangerous" on the "Michael Jackson and Friends" tour. .

The rest of the cast includes, Roger Wright, John Moabi, Ben Foster, Ashton Russell, Kamilah Beckles, Ivan Blackstock, Jordan Darrell, Jo Dyce, Christabelle Fields, Elliott James; Earl Perkins, Danni Rothman; Emily Rumbles, Ross Sands; Sean Williams,Yasmin Yazdi. As previouly mentioned, three 13-year-old boys Layton Williams, Sterling Williams & Kieron Alleyne share the role of young Michael Jackson.

The show, originally conceived and created by Adrian Grant, is directed and choreographed by Gary Lloyd, with additional choreography by LaVelle Smith Jnr and and Kerys Nathan.

Songs include 'I Want You Back', 'I'll Be There', 'Show You The Way To Go', 'Can You Feel It','Rock With You, ' 'She's Out Of My Life', 'Thriller', 'Beat It', 'Ben', 'ABC', 'Man in the Mirror', 'Dirty Diana', 'Billie Jean', 'Earth Song', and many, many more.
http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/londontheatre/news/de08/thrillerlive333107.htm

I wrote to thrillerlive.com many times and didn't get an update either. They are terrible.

Hardly.

These things can be quite enjoyable if you let yourself have fun. And the Thriller live I saw first time round was great for the fact that it was Michaels music being played by a full live band, the musicians were excellent.

my sister saw this show last saturday and told me it was awesome, alot better than she expected to be!!!!!!!!!

can't wait to see it 4 myself now!!!

I'm going to see the show in a few weeks, can't wait :D I've seen it before twice when they went on tour around the country, but this is in the west end now which is even better :D

here is website:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123214565255091167.html

Michael Jackson: The Musical
A show featuring the Gloved One's songs -- but not the singer -- hits London's West End

PT-AK702_thrill_G_20090114122314.jpg

'Thriller Live," a new West End show built around the music of Michael Jackson, features a moonwalking lookalike, zombie choreography and prepubescent singers who hit the high notes on "ABC." What's absent: any backstory about the elusive King of Pop.

To reel in audiences with a familiar hook, producers have long looked to "jukebox musicals" that weave a story around the songs of famous acts such as the Four Seasons, Queen or ABBA. Now, the creators of "Thriller Live" are stripping that model down. With a string of more than 30 song-and-dance numbers ranging from "Ben" to "Bad," they're mounting what's essentially a two-hour tribute concert, billed as a "musical celebration" on the posters plastered around London. There's no plot or dialogue -- just music.

"We don't have a big name in the cast to pay. There are no moving sets or scenery," says producer Paul Walden. Instead, his team is betting that Mr. Jackson's music will draw crowds as the troubled global economy makes people more picky about their entertainment choices.

On Broadway, slow ticket sales have forced some shows to close and the credit crunch is hampering new productions. By comparison, London's theater industry has held stable, buoyed by a raft of musicals featuring stars cast via reality TV shows. As of mid-December, total box-office revenue had slipped by only 1% from the record gross of $686 million in 2007, according to the Society of London Theatre.

Beyond brother Tito Jackson's plans to attend the "Thriller Live" premiere, neither Michael Jackson nor his family are involved in the production. The star gets revenue from the show only indirectly, through standard fees that the production pays to Britain's Performing Rights Society, which collects royalties on behalf of songwriters. Mr. Jackson's record company, Sony, isn't connected to the show either, though a spokesman for Sony Music UK says it supports the production. The company is eager to promote Mr. Jackson's back catalog in lieu of new music -- he hasn't released an album of new material since "Invincible" in 2001. He's been in the studio with various producers and last year discussed a performance residency in Las Vegas, but the 50-year-old star has stayed out of the public eye since he was tried and acquitted of child-molestation charges in 2005.

Representatives for Mr. Jackson did not respond to requests for comment.

"Thriller Live" came out of the fandom of its creator, Adrian Grant. About 20 years ago the Reading native launched a Michael Jackson fan club magazine called "Off the Wall," which led to visits with his idol in the studio and at the Neverland Ranch. In 1991 Mr. Grant began staging talent shows where fans would flaunt their impressions and renditions of Mr. Jackson's music. These annual productions (including one attended by the star himself in 2001) eventually attracted the attention of Flying Music, a production company specializing in tribute shows based on the music of Fleetwood Mac, the Rat Pack and other acts.

In 2007, after refining the "Thriller Live" concept, Flying Music financed a six-week tour around the U.K. Attendance was "patchy" and reviews were mixed, says Mr. Walden. But the tour built steam, leading to two follow-up tours through the U.K. and Europe. Now, in addition to the West End run at the Lyric Theatre (opening Jan. 21 and booking into April), a separate "Thriller Live" show will go to Europe again starting in February. So far, at least, there are no plans to bring the show to the U.S.

On the stage of the Lyric Theatre, a 900-seat venue, two sets of stairs flank a video screen that flashes images of Mr. Jackson and declarations about his commercial clout, such as "The 'Thriller' album was at No. 1 for 37 weeks!" Eighteen cast members, split between singers and dancers, work through his catalog chronologically, starting with Jackson 5 fare such as "I Want You Back," pausing only for introductions and praise for Mr. Jackson's legacy.

Ricko Baird, an American dancer costumed in a fedora and black loafers, got some of the loudest applause at a preview show last week when he moonwalked, thrust his pelvis and executed other trademark Jackson moves.

Four boys have been cast to perform young Michael's material and will rotate through the performance schedule. They include 14-year-old Layton Williams, who recently shared the lead role in the London version of "Billy Elliot." The boys represent one of the show's biggest hooks -- cooing "aaws" from the crowd greeted 14-year-old Ashton Russell each time he appeared on stage last week -- as well as a potential weakness. "Unfortunately they quickly grow up," Mr. Walden says. "Once their voices break they can't sing the songs."

Another challenge for the show: The singing and dancing abilities of the cast members invite comparisons to Mr. Jackson in his prime. But with the pop star absent from the world stage for the foreseeable future, productions like "Thriller Live" might be the closest fans can get to the real thing. Even Mr. Walden tends to refer to Mr. Jackson in the past tense, saying, "Here was an artist who had an amazing career."

Another challenge for the show: The singing and dancing abilities of the cast members invite comparisons to Mr. Jackson in his prime. But with the pop star absent from the world stage for the foreseeable future, productions like "Thriller Live" might be the closest fans can get to the real thing. Even Mr. Walden tends to refer to Mr. Jackson in the past tense, saying, "Here was an artist who had an amazing career."
OMG! That's what I mean, it fits to the thing they said about Ricko Baird doubling Michael in YRMW. I could hit the roof and pull my hair
pullhair.gif

I really wish I could see it, but I'm too busy to go to London anytime soon T_T

Just a small remark ,why in the thrillerlive.com intro, there is written that thriller sold over 50 million when it has been certified it sold over 100 million. Even the sales outside the US-over 100 million, I believe Michael sold more then that.

Thanks

i will see it on Saturday I am looking forward to seeing if they made any changes to the first time i seen it. My impression of it was that its a musical tribute to Michael they dont have any dialogue which at the time some fans were disappointed by.

I went on Sunday for my eighteenth Birthday pressie from my mum, it was so good :D
the impersonator was the best, the singing was good - not like MJs though...... The dancing i was in awe. I have no idea what i'm gonna be like if i ever get to see him live! Prob die!!!!
Considering London is only an hour for me i prob will go again. tickets are expensive though so have to save up, i would love to go though :D
x

Back