To me it feel MJ is much bigger in death the ever..what do you think?

Like many other truly great artists, many only see their greatness after they have passed. I remember Tito predicted Michael would be bigger than the Beatles or Elvis eventually. It certainly seems as thouigh this maybe the case. I think he may have already passed Elvis by a bit but eventually say in 5 years time, Michael's impact on popular culture will be up there with the Beatles. Who knows beyond that?

It's impossible to ever measure these things. It used to really piss me off when MJ was still alive and people used to make these sweeping statements, calling him a hasbeen or that he wasn't relevant anymore. Relevant to who? Maybe not to them, but there's a whole world outside of their small-minded tastes. Elvis's music isn't relevant in my house (as in I don't listen to his music), but I would never be so foolish or arrogant to say he is irrelevant as an artist.

How do you even begin to judge the relevance of an artist? The charts? Album sales? The critics? Cultural impact? I know many brilliant artists who would be deemed completely irrelevant if you looked at their chart history and they aren't exactly darlings to the critics either. But I believe, as Michael himself once said, true art never dies. No matter how obscure a song might be, if it is truly inspired then that piece of music will always have an audience, therefore when someone says so-and-so's music is "irrelevant" it strikes me as a ridiculous and arrogant thing to say.

Michael's music will always have huge relevance to millions of fans (a lot of whom are probably not even born yet) and his impact of popular culture goes without saying. Just look at practically any solo male artist around in the charts today.

Last edited:
He is the only man I know who simply crossed the threshold to another life, leading millions of souls to a state of awakening. That's why I believe he is more alive than ever.

I don't understand when fans compare Michael to Elvis.

Michael was bigger than Elvis in life, what makes death any different? Michael's fame and success was always bigger than Elvis.

I really don't get the whole "He will eventually be bigger than Elvis"... hello he already was before June 25th!

say in 5 years time, Michael's impact on popular culture will be up there with the Beatles. Who knows beyond that?

MJ was already up there with Beatles and he went even further, he surpassed color and countries the Beatles haven't even heard of.

What is up with you fans? lol Have we forgotten who Michael was when he was alive?

Well, one things certain: in death Michael's more popular than he's been in the last 10-15 years. But bigger than his mid-80's Thriller heyday?
Hell to the no.

I don't see how MJ really is that popular right now. They NEVER air MJ music on the TV or Music Videos. Rarely on the radio (only hits like Thrilelr and Beat it). It was only those few months after his death.

Most of my friends or anyone I know don't really care for MJ. It's sad but true.

His passing showed those who doubted him and belittled him who Michael is. I don't think he got bigger in fame as he can't. People were reminded, sadly by the loss of MJ, who he was. His place in history was reaffirmed.

His passing showed those who doubted him and belittled him who Michael is. I don't think he got bigger in fame as he can't. People were reminded, sadly by the loss of MJ, who he was. His place in history was reaffirmed.

Hmmm...excellent comment.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Michael was bigger than Elvis in life, what makes death any different? Michael's fame and success was always bigger than Elvis.

I really don't get the whole "He will eventually be bigger than Elvis"... hello he already was before June 25th!

I'm a big fan of MJ and Freddie Mercury, I like The Beatles and Elvis too and I hate when people try to compare them.
There'll never be the final conclusion in these disputes, so why can't you just admit that they all had and still have vast influence in music world?

I wouldn't say than "ever." Certainly bigger than he was during the past decade, but don't forget the heights of Thrillermania. If he wasn't the biggest worldwide superstar of all-time, you wouldn't see a response like we saw after his passing anyway.

Surely he's bigger than Elvis or the Beatles if you look at it from a wolrdwilde angle (and not just the western-world angle).

Most people in Asia, Africa, etc have never heard of Elvis or the Beatles, they know Michael Jackson though..

His position has now been reaffirmed, yes...
But its heartbreaking for me that he had to die in order for him to be recognised like that...

Exactly Michael surpassed Elvis while he was in his 20s

There was a massive influx of 'fans' appearing just after Michael's death. Loads of people went out and bought his music and those who didn't were listening every time it came on the radio. This has all died down now; its great to see a number of new MJ fans on the boards too. Welcome you guys! :D

I don't think Michael's bigger in death, but he's more recognised for his artistic genious and not just the bull ish that the media write!

There was a massive influx of 'fans' appearing just after Michael's death. Loads of people went out and bought his music and those who didn't were listening every time it came on the radio. This has all died down now; its great to see a number of new MJ fans on the boards too. Welcome you guys! :D

I don't think Michael's bigger in death, but he's more recognised for his artistic genious and not just the bull ish that the media write!

I agree with this. After his death the bull crap the media published about him when he was alive was forgotten about and it was about his musical genuis that was talked about. It went from the media saying 'the self proclaimed king of pop' to just 'the king of pop.'

I agree with this. After his death the bull crap the media published about him when he was alive was forgotten about and it was about his musical genuis that was talked about. It went from the media saying 'the self proclaimed king of pop' to just 'the king of pop.'

It's very sad that he had to die for this to happen

How do you know?

I'm from saudi arabia. And though people here obviously heard of Elvis and Beatles there is just no way they can compare to MJ here. I believe the same holds true for the entire arabic region.

How do you know?

I have family and relatives who live in South Asia and Michael's name & music is the biggest of all Western artists in that part of the continent. Much bigger than The Beatles and Elvis, no question! The poor people living in villages know who Michael Jackson is, even some know who he is without ever hearing his music. They at least know the name and face.

How do you know?

I've been in various countries and talked about music...
they know Michael (even the small villages with limited televisions/radios).

If you mention Elvis or the Beatles most just raise their eyebrows..
I know those 2 were big in europe/US/australia but most africans i know haver no idea who they are..
The only artists outside africa they really know? Bob Marley, Michael Jackson....

How do you know?

I am a physician working with World health organization and my work has taken me to every continent.Without a doubt michael jackson is the most famous entertainer that ever lived,his reach still amazes me.I have been to countries with little or no power supply and michael was the only western entertainer they knew.

Michael is huge in Africa,the only artist that compares to him in popularity is Bob marley.He is the most popular western artist in most of the arab countries and he's extremely popular in the Far east especially, japan.

I am a beatles girl myself but you cant compare michael's popularity to them on a worldwide scale,Obviously they are more popular than michael in north america and western europe[especially UK] beyond those regions michael takes the cake.It's just the fact.

In terms of popularity on a worldwide scale: MICHAEL > BEATLES > ELVIS.

He was much bigger in life during his prime. But he is definitely bigger now than he's been in the last 15 years. It's mostly because people miss him and realize how much he contributed to music, media, and world. Now everyone wants relive what most people took for granted. Very sad. I miss him everyday.

It will take time because I think there's still people in the closet when talking about Michael Jackson. And also it doesn't really matter how much they will play his tracks on the radio. Because they played them so much almost EVERYONE knows about them. It was enough. So thousands or millions of people already bought his records so it's not definitely necessary. So there's no that much need to play them to make them well-known. It was very much different with Elvis or with Beatles. There were definitely not this much well-known when alive. You can't really compare Michael Jackson to anyone. I am not saying this as a fan but you just can't. It is a fact.

It will take time because I think there's still people in the closet when talking about Michael Jackson. And also it doesn't really matter how much they will play his tracks on the radio. Because they played them so much almost EVERYONE knows about them. It was enough. So thousands or millions of people already bought his records so it's not definitely necessary. So there's no that much need to play them to make them well-known. It was very much different with Elvis or with Beatles. There were definitely not this much well-known when alive. You can't really compare Michael Jackson to anyone. I am not saying this as a fan but you just can't. It is a fact.

Exactly.

Ugh!!!we here love michael.love his children..they are his everything..sorry,but michaels passing to heaven..breaks all our hearts..not much more to say,,,but cry!!!

Back