Universal Music Group Sues MJ Estate! (MJ Singing R Kelly Song)

You got to be kidding. I didn't there was a law for MJ to sing the song in the car. I could understand if he were performing the song on stage. Well, I hope MJ's Lawyers can find a way out this nonsense.

That's probably just business though isn't it? I would hope MJ would get paid for the use of his songs as well if they are on a TV show or documentary. I don't know what a reasonable amount of money is for song use and probably that was great advertising for R Kelly but it's still the business side of things and $3000 doesn't sound like it's an unreasonable amount. It's not R Kelly suing but the studio right? Just read some back posts, and yes it sounds like they are going after the wrong place for their money. Fox produced it? Guess they'd be responsible for the bill.

Last edited:
This is a completely baseless lawsuit. UMG should be ashamed of themselves for going after something so trivial. First of Michael, Brett Ratner and another friend were driving in the car while listening to R. Kelly's CD. This was only part of a home movie as they were recording their trip around town. So will UMG sue me for playing Jackson 5 songs in my car or at my house and then sue me because I videotaped myself singing it?!! Talk about a new low. They already make plenty of money from J5 music. I think this claim will be kicked to the curb.

Maybe Universal did it because they are struggling?

Layoffs Begin Across Universal Music Group

The Universal Music Group is engaged in a round of layoffs that is hitting almost all labels and divisions of the company with about 50 people in total being let go today, according to sources.

Sources say about half the layoffs are at the company's distribution arms, Universal Music Group Distribution and Fontana. Also confirmed as being cut: Jim Flammia, VP artist and media relations at Lost Highway Records, and Interscope publicist Jennie Boddy. Sources confirm as many as six staffers under the Verve Music Group banner were let go, including creative services VP Hollis King and publicity VP Regina Joskow. Cuts were also made in product marketing and A&R at Verve.

Universal Music Latin Entertainment laid off staff in December as part of its move from Miami to Los Angeles.

A Universal Music Group spokesman confirmed layoffs in general, but wouldn't comment on specifics. In a statement, the company said, "Universal Music Group is continuing to transform our organization to better serve our artists and business partners. Given the current economic climate, we have to be as agile and efficient as possible. Unfortunately, these ongoing efforts have resulted in some redundancy. However, UMG will now be even better positioned to compete in the growing global, digital marketplace."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ie77b4ee401b87ca16293464199780935

I don't see why Universal care about $3000 .. surely its peanuts for them.

(edit: ooh, just read the post above.)

You got to be kidding. I didn't there was a law for MJ to sing the song in the car. I could understand if he were performing the song on stage. Well, I hope MJ's Lawyers can find a way out this nonsense.

its nothing to do with mj singing anything. any song that is played in public on the radio in a programe you have to pay the publishers of the song. same with all the songs mj owns. on its own theres nothing wrong legallywith universal asking for the money but its pretty crass they only do it now

yea universal is petty for this one... R.Kelly had absolutey NOTHING to do with this... he admired MJ and even had this play at his concerts in tribute to him... the press always wants to make him sound bad even if he didnt do anything...just like they did MJ

Everybody in the car was singing the song, so why is Michael's estate the only one being sued? I believe Universal has a vendetta against Michael for suing them.

What the heck is this? Is this even real? You can sing a song in public like 30 seconds and even more if you're not "performing". This must be so BS.

its nothing to do with mj singing anything. any song that is played in public on the radio in a programe you have to pay the publishers of the song. same with all the songs mj owns. on its own theres nothing wrong legallywith universal asking for the money but its pretty crass they only do it now

Yep, somebody forgot to clear that song or if they did'nt get permission for it, then they could have used a public domain song or cut the scene out.

Don't know why they are doing it now, when in 2003 they could have done it. They sure are slow. :eek:

Everybody in the car was singing the song, so why is Michael's estate the only one being sued? I believe Universal has a vendetta against Michael for suing them.

Yeah, they are wrong in sue Michael only, by their logic they should also sue Brett. But really they should be suing the production co.

Wow, you can be sued for dancing to a song that is played on the radio?
Preposterous!
This is a farce, with morons like that it's no wonder it's going downhill with Universal. I am aware that the lawsuit has a leg to stand on, but Mike was showing his private home movies, and you are allowed to film things like that if it is for private use. Universal should rather talk to Fox who broadcast this.

Wow, you can be sued for dancing to a song that is played on the radio?
no. it really isnt hard. if a peice of music is played in public be it a sporting event on the radio on a tv show the publisher gets paid. its ireelvent how it was shown ie a clip of mj in the car. its the fact that the song was heard during the tv show.

Yeah, they are wrong in sue Michael only, by their logic they should also sue Brett. But really they should be suing the production co.

they sue who evers programe the song was played on. it was played on mjs home movies. whoe ever made it gets sued

Don't know why they are doing it now, when in 2003 they could have done it. They sure are slow. :eek:hmy:
someone said kelly used the clip during his recent tour so maybe universal saw it and thats why its happening now. although im surprised they didnt see it at the time when the home movies came out

no. it really isnt hard. if a peice of music is played in public be it a sporting event on the radio on a tv show the publisher gets paid. its ireelvent how it was shown ie a clip of mj in the car. its the fact that the song was heard during the tv show.

Shouldn't Fox be sued then? They are the ones who broadcast it.

dunno. imo its the ppl who make the programe who are liable its upto them to get clearance

Michael Jackson's estate has a new creditor's claim -- thanks to one R. Kelly.

Michael sang Kelly's song "Ignition" in his car as part of the TV show, "Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies" -- but never paid for it.

BLAHHHH!!! Michael didn't even 'sing' the song. It was being played in someone else's car from someone else's cd player who most likely PAID FOR the cd. :smilerolleyes:

Seriously, people are just suing for the sake of suing. And whoop dee doo let's all sue Michael Jackson. Can I join the sue-hype? I'd like to sue every single motherfucker that's ever sued Michael, because they keep anoying me and giving me wrinkels due to over-excessive frowning. :doh::doh::doh:

that's friggin stupid! everyone's trying to get a piece of Michael, makes me so mad!

Back