Unreleased songs should stay unreleased?

Tony R

Proud Member
I'm probably on my own with this...

But I think if a song stayed off an album it was off for a reason. The reason why Michael Jackson's albums stand out is the fact that all the songs are amazing and of single quality.

When other songs surface years later, I can see why they were left off as they pale in comparison.

I'm specifically talking about ballads here. I heard 'For All Time' for the first time at the weekend and it does nothing for me. Same with 'One More Chance', I think it's the only bad single he ever released.

The faster unreleased tracks are okay, We've Had Enough is great and so was Shout, but the slower ones should stay 'lost' for me.

What do you think (don't slaughter me!)?

I think some of them should not be released as singles for the reason you said above.. BUT, I think on special editions of the album, and/or rare collectables like Ultimate Collection, it should be released..

Mainly released for collectors use.. But also you have to keep in mind many songs were not released simply because it did not fit the THEME of the album.. Not just song quality.. For example.. Earth Song was written for the Dangerous album, it was cut.. I am glad it was later released..

I think some of them should not be released as singles for the reason you said above.. BUT, I think on special editions of the album, and/or rare collectables like Ultimate Collection, it should be released..

That's true. I'll give you that! I don't mind listening in the right context. Getting the Ultimate Collection was great as a fan. But I hate the thought of people listening to them thinking this is the quality of an MJ song.

The Unreleased songs for me are like B-sides on Singles but Michael never released a B-Side Single or a Collection so that "covers up" for this.

many unreleased track just doesn't sound so good but most of them are just Michael's Ideas of having fun at the studio so i won't mind hearing the unreleased and enjoy them.
hope he will make a B-Side Collection one day with all the finished versions of his Unreleased tracks.

Michael probably has thousands of songs that were left off albums. I would love to here some of them. I wish he would make a brand new double album of the best ones.

Your probably thinking more about LEAKED material than unreleased staying unreleased. LEAKED - which MJ did not want to be released.. If Michael did not think they were good enough, he would not release them.. Obviously he likes 'For All Time' to record new vocals for it, and release it as a THRILLER 25th ANNIVERSARY song..

I appreciate EVERY single piece of unreleased material that is released. Especially now that Mike's been testing the patience of his many fans around the world for some time now, having not released anything of major importance for years (hinting at new album...). It's quite understandable that some of the unreleased material that finds it's way to the fan (leaked or officially released) may sound a bit dated or not quite 'fresh'. Keep in mind that lots of them are just demo's and unfinished versions. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed Mike will suprise the world with another Thriller/Bad/Dangerous-like great album in a couple of months... yeah!

It's not an appreciation thing. But after being a Michael fan for 20 years I thought he was incapable of releasing a bad song, but then One More Chance came out and I was gutted. I feel the same way now I've heard For All Time.

It depends.. If they release nowadays (also Michael) 17 songs on an album from around 100 potential candidates, then if for example Thriller contained only 9 songs from the same amount, at least 8 outtakes can be fairly released imo..

I have to disagree, and here's why. Sometimes a song is left off an album, but surfaces on a future album years later (like Earth Song, which was recorded in the Dangerous sessions but ended up on History.) Just because they're left off doesn't mean that they're not quality songs, it just means that they didn't gel with that particular album at the time.

Yes, songs like Cheater and Streetwalker couldn't be released as singles currently, because they're not from this era of music. But they're still quality songs, and are just as good as the songs from Bad.

It's not an appreciation thing. But after being a Michael fan for 20 years I thought he was incapable of releasing a bad song, but then One More Chance came out and I was gutted. I feel the same way now I've heard For All Time.
Dude, when you think 2000 watts is great and think OMC and for all time are crap.... there's something seriously wrong :mello:

Weve had enough is a BIG tune. Wished it had featured on an album.

I like quite alot of the unrealsesed stuff. I just think it's interesting to hear them.

I think some of the unreleased songs are WAY too good to never have been heard, Just because they didn't make it onto albums it doesn't mean they aren't as good as the ones that did.. I guess if you write so many songs you just can't simply put them all out. Some of the unreleased songs are some of my faves :yes:

I'm just curious, do you not want them to be released in fear that it will somehow hurt Michael's career?

Other than that I couldn't see any harm in it (the "not so great" [by your standards] singles being released).

I like most of 'em though. I love hearing demos and unreleased tracks from Michael! :D

I'm probably on my own with this...

But I think if a song stayed off an album it was off for a reason. The reason why Michael Jackson's albums stand out is the fact that all the songs are amazing and of single quality.

When other songs surface years later, I can see why they were left off as they pale in comparison.

I'm specifically talking about ballads here. I heard 'For All Time' for the first time at the weekend and it does nothing for me. Same with 'One More Chance', I think it's the only bad single he ever released.

The faster unreleased tracks are okay, We've Had Enough is great and so was Shout, but the slower ones should stay 'lost' for me.

What do you think (don't slaughter me!)?

well it sounds like you just dont like ballads
"For all time" is a favored track of MJ's by many fans

I disagree with YOUR opinion -
you must be a young male and not very romantic :p
to not like Michael's ballads where he can really show
off his vocals ..

I think your personal taste just runs for the heavy hitting
rock songs . but that doesnt mean the ballads are inferior
I love "For All Time" . and MJ sounds great. on the Demo
Im not sure what the new version will sound like .. We have
a so called new "For all time going around but cant be sure
that is the finished product untill we get the actual CD.

Personnaly I love the FAT Demo better than the newer version
not Michael's voice better but I like the intrumental on the demo

Michael has something for everyone.
I love the unreleased songs being put
as bonus tracks on Albums .. It shows
the creative process and people who
here them know what they are ..

Michael has faith in "For all time"
so much that he has remastered it for Thriller25
he doesnt feel it is an inferior song - Thats the
ONE He choose to showcase ..

Last edited:
I'm just curious, do you not want them to be released in fear that it will somehow hurt Michael's career?

I think that is it, when people hear MJ I want them to hear classic ground breakers like Who Is It, Billie Jean, Earth Song & countless others.

I disagree with YOUR opinion -
you must be a young male and not very romantic :p
to not like Michael's ballads where he can really show
off his vocals ..

How wrong you are, I'm 35 (today) and very romantic (ask my wife!) and I love many MJ ballads including You Are My Life, Speechless, She's Out Of My Life, Heal The World etc. But the two I specified are very bland (in MY opinion) that anyone could have written

i think although we have similar opinions about the happenings of MJs life and the running of MJ fanclubs, our musical opinions are vastly different haha (especially after reading your album reviews)!

For All Time is one of my faves. Even the crappy older version. One More Chance i also love very much. I agree that Weve Had Enough is awesome, and personally believe could and should have been released as a stand alone single from The Ultimate collection, followed by The Way You Love Me.... unfortunately the timing was bad and almost all radio stations boycotted MJ music during trial. Some F'ed up policy they all had.

But AT THAT TIME, Weve Had Enough and TWYLM were NEW, and could have been singles based on that... as for old stuff.. i say keep it in a vault coz when he retires they will be released in a collection i reckon.

^^ I know - all good! Just one question. With or without teeth?

But I think if a song stayed off an album it was off for a reason.
In the 80s, at least, it was because vinyl and cassette could only contain so many tracks at the time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Michael would have released a 16 track Thriller or Bad album if he were really able to at that time.

Goodness, I think Thriller would probably be better if we had "Got The Hots" and "Carousel" over "Baby Be Mine" and "The girl is Mine". Granted, all four tracks I mentioned sound dated in comparison to the rest of Thriller, but still I've always felt that BBM and TGIM were weak links on Thriller.

Either Fly Away or Streetwalker would make Bad just as good an album if it replaced Just Good Friends, and Dangerous could have standed to have some real slow jams like "Someone Put Your Hand Out" and even Blackstreet's "Joy" over "She's Drivin Me Wild".

Even on OTW, I'd throw off Girlfriend and add Sunset Driver:lol: My opinions are only subjective in terms of tracks left off that sound better than what's actually on the release, but my point is that just because Michael decides not to release a track doesn't mean that it isn't strong or even that it didn't fit the album.

There probably just wasn't any room for it by the time the final product was being made.

Have you heard Got the Hots? I thought no one had heard it yet.

As for the question "Unreleased songs should stay unreleased?" I'm fine with the tracks being released if Michael is. I'd love to hear them and like all of the ones I've heard so far. I agree that some of the unreleased tracks are better than some that were released.

Goodness, I think Thriller would probably be better if we had "Got The Hots" and "Carousel" over "Baby Be Mine" and "The girl is Mine". Granted, all four tracks I mentioned sound dated in comparison to the rest of Thriller, but still I've always felt that BBM and TGIM were weak links on Thriller. quote]

I have mixed feelings about this - I myself would love a complete box set of all unreleased material from J5 to his solo career. BUT.. I've always thought Michael was a bit of a protectionist, other then just time it's possible he just didn't think it was his best material and he don't want to release it, at least not until it was doctored up 100%. And maybe that's what he did with tracks like One More chance, before he released it onto number ones it's possible he rewrote a lyric or 2 changed the music or whatever.

I'd love to hear his newer work. Primarily because I know there must be some fantastic songs that were recorded in the Invincible sessions. Just listening to We've Had Enough proves that. An amazing song.

As for his older demos, from the more prominent albums... they are a great, great asset to Michael and when he really does formerly 'quit' the industry, it will be a great thing to see him off, a fantastic present to fans, and all together much be hugely valuable.

Oh, how I've dreamed of that vault, will all the unreleased songs :lol:

Thats why music is subjective. You're not gonna like everything he puts out, even the ones that ARE released...but someone else might find it genius.

I'm GLAD for all time is out, its a PURE GEM to me.

Back