Was you fan of MJ before or after his death?

Was you fan of mj before or after his death?

• Before his death

Votes: 428 94.3%
  • After his death

Votes: 26 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I grew up with Michael. My mom used to play Jackson 5, The Jacksons and Off the Wall all the time when I was little. I didn't really start paying attention until age 6, when Thriller came out. That's also when I learned that Michael was in the Jackson 5 and The Jacksons and that he actually recorded Off the Wall before Thriller!

WAAAAAY before - I became a fan when MJ was still on Motown, was in the J5 and sported his 'fro.

32 year fandom !!!

since I was 10 and now I'm 39 I will be a fan till the day I die and his music and messages will go on and on my two daughters (14 & 20) are mesmerized with Michael not just his music but WHO he was and WHAT he was about I couldn't be prouder! new generations discovering Michael and being captivated .. and suzynyc explained it well a few posts back ....

"I loved Farrah Fawcett. She was one of my idols growing up but when she died I did not turn to a Farrah Fawcett message board. But I did come to a Michael Jackson message board to help with my grieving because his death hit me harder than Farrah, Elvis, Lennon, Princess Diana and JFK Jr. combined. Honestly."

thanks suzynyc ..its because of you and so many others on here who have let me know I'm not the only one who feels the way I do, I'm not alone in grieving as I do for Michael ..I feel like a huge part of my life has disappeared its a gaping aching hole and I need not feel ashamed or embarassed for it ..so thank you all for a place for me to come too where I don't have to try and explain crying over someone I had never met but yet feel I knew and miss deeply.
Thanks

...theres timing Cry just came on my player

since I was 10 and now I'm 39 I will be a fan till the day I die and his music and messages will go on and on my two daughters (14 & 20) are mesmerized with Michael not just his music but WHO he was and WHAT he was about I couldn't be prouder! new generations discovering Michael and being captivated .. and suzynyc explained it well a few posts back ....

"I loved Farrah Fawcett. She was one of my idols growing up but when she died I did not turn to a Farrah Fawcett message board. But I did come to a Michael Jackson message board to help with my grieving because his death hit me harder than Farrah, Elvis, Lennon, Princess Diana and JFK Jr. combined. Honestly."

thanks suzynyc ..its because of you and so many others on here who have let me know I'm not the only one who feels the way I do, I'm not alone in grieving as I do for Michael ..I feel like a huge part of my life has disappeared its a gaping aching hole and I need not feel ashamed or embarassed for it ..so thank you all for a place for me to come too where I don't have to try and explain crying over someone I had never met but yet feel I knew and miss deeply.
Thanks

...theres timing Cry just came on my player

I too was the same with my favourite Idols that passed on.

Princess Diana-I went to one board and just sent my condolance and not returned since
Steve Irwin-I went search for a board and found his fans that I never knew exsited I am still friends with them.
Aalyah-i went to her board and sent condolance to her fans
MJ-I was just gonna do the same but I just could do that so I stayed to comfort them and be there for em.

Tbh I think that all this talk of 'new fans' and who was a fan before or after his death may be making newer fans feel a little uncomfortable.

I would, I would feel like people were saying im less of a fan because I became a fan after his death.

Just saying.

Although I was a fan before Michael's passing, I thank you for your post because I joined after Michael passing so to the doubters, which I know are VERY few here, there is no proof.

And this is in general. One poster here said join dates can go to hell. He's right. Why this obsession with join dates and such? Those who are here to be cool will be gone at some point, so please whoever is obsessing, please don't anymore. It's getting old and frustrating.

Last edited:
Before. After watching Bashir's documentary =)

Well I liked his music since the 80s. However I felt I got to know him more as a person after this same interview. Too bad I was distracted by Bashir's nasty attitude to listen to Michael even more than I did.

Although I was a fan before Michael's passing, I thank you for your post because I joined after Michael passing so to the doubters, which I know are VERY few here, there is no proof.

And this is in general. One poster here said join dates can go to hell. He's right. Why this obsession with join dates and such? Those who are here to be cool will be gone at some point, so please whoever is obsessing, please don't anymore. It's getting old and frustrating.

:clapping: AMEN to this right here, Michelle! It just sickens and saddens me.... like some of the members on here are just using Michael like people did when he was living. EFFING GAG ME!! :puke: Like the true fans can't see through all of that. :smilerolleyes:

P.S. I agree with your entire post, but I felt the need to respond to this particularly. It's just ugly. So ugly.

Last edited:
I would say I'm someone who really became a fan after his death. Before he died I admired him for his music and I grew up with him in the HIStory era. I remember when I saw him for the first time...I thought he was a woman:D...not because he looked gay or something but for me he just looked like one hey come on I was about 5 years old then;). Anyway, so I had a couple of songs on my iPod not because I was a fan but just because I liked his music having some "classics" and songs from my childhood:). But I listened to his songs more than to the other "classics":). I was always sad when I heared all the rumors about him and I was really hoping for TII and I believed that he would show the world that he wasn't broken like many people thought.
So that was the actual state of affairs before his death.

It was the morning of june 26th when I was preparing for school. I looked on my phone and I noticed that I had recieved a sms from my mother and I was wondering what she might have to tell so early in the morning (it was about 8). She wrote only one sentence "Michael Jackson is dead". I was shocked for a few seconds. But I had to go to school and I couldn't really think about it. When I came home at noon it felt like every other day...I was happy because it was week end and that school was over:). I was just a little sad about was has happened to Michael:(. I watched the news on TV which were of course reporting about his death. I was just curious why he actually died and watched it from time to time.
It slowly became evening and I had a strange feeling...I knew it had something to do with Michael and it was familiar. It was the same feeling I had when my grandfather died 8 years ago. It really felt like a relative of mine passed away. The more I watched the news and his music videos on TV the more I felt bad and melancholic. I realized that I had lost the enterainer of my generation. It felt like a hole was ripped into my world because he just was a part of it...because he was always there as long as I could think. I could have cried at least 10 times that day but I didn't because I didn't even cry for my grandpa. I watched his music videos until 5 o'clock in the morning when I finally went to bed with grief.
From that day I started listening more to his music and a few weeks later I bought my first CD set "The Collection" including all albums from OTW to Invincible except HIStory and so it went on...

I hope I could show you longtime fans how the way of an after-death-fan was;) It's really hard to describe my feelings but I did it the best I could.
I'm 18 now...I wasn't a MJ fan for 17 years but now I will be for the rest of my life. I am not ashamed that I became a fan after because I love him and those sad feelings were honest and not pretended;)

Rest in Peace King of Pop

Last edited:
Before, but no where near as long as some of you guys.

I'd always known of him (I don't think there is anybody alive who doesn't know Billie Jean or Thriller) but it wasn't until about 5 years ago - When i was 15 and started buying CDs - that i actualy started paying attention to his music. I'm so glad i took time to appreciate him while he was still alive. I will also say that although i didn't own any of his music etc I still always enjoyed listening to him on the radio / tv. Earth Song was always a favourite of mine.

The funny thing is, I vividly remember going to Asda of the day Invincible was released and there were cardboard cutouts and large displays of MJ all of the store. I never knew why just a big fuss was made of this new CD... if only i knew now :D :doh:

Last edited:
Before. Grew up listening to him, after some years break, I came back to him as a full fan.

I'm 18 now...I wasn't a MJ fan for 17 years but now I will be for the rest of my life. I am not ashamed that I became a fan after because I love him and those sad feelings were honest and not pretended;)

Rest in Peace King of Pop

thank you Moonwalker... I'm so glad you're here with us. :wub:

I think it's great that MJ has made new fans since his passing. He will do that for years to come, because he was so unique and so talented. He was one of a kind, millions recognised that in him while he was alive and even more people will recognise it in the years to come.

I allready said that I LOVE him since 1982 and I love him more and more every second , every day.....
I also wanted to say that Michael is the only one who has so many fans at different ages and that is amazing.
My grandmother ( she is 76 years old ) loves Michael. My mother admires him also, and her favourite song is Will you be there.
Even my stepfather ( who really doesn"t know much about pop-music )
admires Michael and his favourite song is Smile.
Not to mention my daughter ( who is 14 )...she is totaly crazy over Michael and she knows everything about the MAN.
Even my husband ( he even gets jelaous over how much I love Michael.....) likes him, especially TDCAU.
So.....let us continue to spred MJ-love arround the world !!!!!!!
I am so proud to love him.

Back