Wembley DVD content - discuss Michael, his concert and performance ONLY [discussion ]

Re: Wembley DVD content - Discuss Michael, his Wembley concert and performances Only

Okay i have seen the whole show and while it is awesome and the vocals are amazing, some of the camera shots annoy the hell outta me. I hate to say im slightly dissapointed, the show is really good, the performance really good (although probably not the best ive seen) its some of the camera shots that bug me. Im sure its not a big thing for most people but yea.

That's because the video footage is directly from the Jumbo Trons. If it were filmed with the intention of being released on DVD (which it wasn't at the time) then there would have been many more camera angles, more shots of the crowd etc. There are a lot more close ups of Michael on this DVD because the Jumbo Tron footage was intended for the crowd to see what was going on on stage.

Compare that with Bucharest, which was filmed with the intention of being shown on TV/released on DVD, so there are a lot more camera angles and shots of the crowd. Same with Munich HIStory tour.

Re: Wembley DVD content - Discuss Michael, his Wembley concert and performances Only

PAtooooooooooooo

Re: BAD 25 Demo's unreleased, unheard Studio songs Discussion [previews added]

And I read from a fan's review despite all the talk the booklet says "Al Capone" is NOT a demo of "Smooth Criminal"!
It's early version of "Smooth Criminal".

Re: The BAD25 Packages/ Products, Your Orders etc. etc. [Discussion]

And I read from a fan's review despite all the talk the booklet says "Al Capone" is NOT a demo of "Smooth Criminal"!

Not technically, but it's plain to see (or hear) that the song structure is pretty much exactly the same.

I've written songs that have turned into something else, and while I wouldn't call the original version a "demo" of the finished song, it still serves as an early sketch of what it would eventually become.

Just think, if another artist had written and released Al Capone, you can be sure that everybody would be calling it a Smooth Criminal rip-off.

Hey guys,
but what about DIRTY DIANA ??
Didn't MJ (in the "private home movies") said that right before the concert Diana asked him wheater he would sing dirty diana, and mj replied "NO, I took it out of respect for you" and she said "but that's my favourite song" but they couldn't change the show because it was too close to start ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQ6fbINgWQ

Last edited:

Just think, if another artist had written and released Al Capone, you can be sure that everybody would be calling it a Smooth Criminal rip-off.

But that's just it... IF another artist had released that song, but it's MJ's. I would not have minded at all.

OK it would have been an easy target for critics. But were songs like "This time around", "Money" or "D.S." masterpieces? I think "Al Capone" easily surpasses them...

I received the case on Friday and watched the DVD yesterday with my good friend. We were both mesmerized and hypnotised by what we witnessed, that concert was Michael at his best!! He was fierce, playful, happy, sexy, phenomenal, truly magical to look at. It was an intense emotional journey that left us shaken to the core. And I was very happy about how the show was filmed, there were so many close-ups of Michael and hardly any crowd shots. For me that was great! After all it is Michael I want to see, not the concertgoers. And don't even get me started on Dirty Diana, that toestand at the beginning...:stretcher

About picture quality -I was honestly so captivated by the performance that I didn't even care or notice if the picture wasn't perfect. It was sufficient and I am happy the Estate chose to release this particular concert for it was phenomenal.

But that's just it... IF another artist had released that song, but it's MJ's. I would not have minded at all.

OK it would have been an easy target for critics. But were songs like "This time around", "Money" or "D.S." masterpieces? I think "Al Capone" easily surpasses them...

Lyrically "Money" is a fucking masterpiece.

Hey guys,
Didn't MJ (in the "private home movies") said that right before the concert Diana asked him wheater he would sing dirty diana, and mj replied "NO, I took it out of respect for you" and she said "but that's my favourite song" but they couldn't change the show because it was too close to start ....

Dirty Diana is in my top 5 Michael Jackson songs of all time. The song is genius. Wish he performed it on the Dangerous Tour.

Not every song is supposed to be a masterpiece, though. If you write music with that mindset, or even listen to music with that mindset, the results will be disappointing. However, I would definitely consider Money a masterpiece. There's such depth there - in the lyrical themes, the vocal performance, the song structure, the general theme. It might not be as well known or held up in as high regard as something like Smooth Criminal, but it is a masterpiece in many ways.

I also happen to think that This Time Around is very overlooked and underrated. D.S. is just a raw release of emotion, not even really meant to be considered in the realm of a masterpiece. However, even songs such as those did their part to contribute to the overall experience of the HIStory album, which was a collective masterpiece itself.

Al Capone, when you really take it for what it is, is a very barebones sketch of what it would eventually be reworked and refined into. Yes, it's catchy as all hell. It's a musical work in raw form, from the lyric ideas to the instrumentation to the rough mix. Michael and Bruce had yet to really put their sonic signatures on it.

You listen to the production in this time around behind the rap, the sound tapestry, it's in another league. I think people are getting a bit carried away cause it's new and isn't overplayed, in a few years people may cringe at what they wrote about Al Capone, the production is so cheap, only MJ's vocals save it, i love it, but we need a reality check here, it isn't in the league it's being made out to be here.

music-michael-jackson-wembley-stadium-1988.jpg

Hey guys,

He either remembered wrong or embellished the story to make it more interesting.

Did anyone notice that in between the end of Beat It and start of Billie Jean, the water bottle on the step behind Michael disappears for the rest of the show? I guess he must have drunk from it and slung it!

The tune of the instrument in the beginning of Al Capone sounded so familiar to me. I found out what from:

[youtube]tOgvqlb5NgI[/youtube]

And I could have sworn there's another song from the eighties that sounds even more like it, it's a upbeat song. I'm breaking my head over this.

Could it be this

[youtube]-YHaOMe_uRc[/youtube]

During the verse parts (0:19) i think it sounds a bit familiar to Al Capone

He's just basically saying 'Partay!' but in his own language, Jacksonese as some fans call it. :)

Money hands Al Capone it's own ass with all the trimmings.

Re: BAD 25: The Original BAD Tracks CD 1 [Discussion]

The remixed (remastered?) version of the album was actually released far earlier than the 2001 Special Edition, It had to have been early to mid 1990's at least. I have a non SE copy from the mid 90's as well as a copy of Off The Wall with the "glowing socks" cover, which also appeared earlier than 2001. I received these for Christmas of 1997 along with my first ever stereo system when I was 8.

I have never been able to place exactly when the Bad album alterations took place, but I always figured it had to be sometime before HIStory came out, since Disc 1 of that album features the same mixes.

Bad is my favorite MJ album so I have taken it upon myself to document the different versions whenever I come across them since there doesn't seem to be any official documentation on this. So far I have physical CD copies of the following:

1st Pressing (1987) - Contains the exact same mixes of every song as on the vinyl LP, with Leave Me Alone included as a bonus track.

2nd Pressing (Unknown year) - Exactly the same mixes as the above copy, but no spoken intro on IJCSLY.

3rd Pressing (Unknown Year) - This edition was purchased in the 90's, it features the same mixes of Bad, TWYMMF, IJCSLY, Dirty Diana, and Smooth Criminal that are on the 2001 Special Edition.

4th Pressing (2001 Special Edition) - This edition features the same mixes as the 90's pressing with remastered sound and bonus tracks.

Last edited:
Greg Phillinganes Playing 'Layla' during Solo

How amazing was that when he played Eric Chapman s 'Layla' ? Does anyone know the second song after Layla that he was playing on the keyboard ?

There were plenty of different versions of the Bad album released through 1988. I wonder what prompted Michael to do all those remixing.

I have always wondered myself whether these alterations were Epic/Sony's doing or Michael's.

I know MJ was a perfectionist but the original mixes sounded so fantastic already, it seemed like some of the power was taken away with each track that was changed, especially Smooth Criminal which I feel had a much more robust sound on the original pressings.

Re: Greg Phillinganes Playing 'Layla' during Solo

How amazing was that when he played Eric Chapman s 'Layla' ? Does anyone know the second song after Layla that he was playing on the keyboard ?

You mean Eric Clapton? Yeah, Greg worked with Clapton too.

After all what is this mean? In Bad Tour he always says this lol

My theory is the origin of this Jacksonese word comes from the Victory Tour. During his performance of Shake Your Body, he'd sometimes say "shake your bato" during the break down in the end. Later it evolved into "party" or "parto" lol. That's my take on it anyway and what I've noticed :p

See here at about 2:49

Last edited:

2. I hear something like "Whats Up" ;)

I hear "Balkon" - though that doesn't make any sense. LOL.

2. It's "party" with "y" to "o", pretty cute when he shouts that, and I'm pretty sure.

PAtooooooooooooo
Lolol, or Montai or... what were the others? :lol: My husband and I always joke that he says "Pan Tau!" That's the name of a Czech/German children's show character from the 70's. Pan Tau wears a magic bowler hat and uses his powers to help kids with school, bullies, etc. And their parents can never see him, only the kids. So we've determined that Pan Tau is a massive MJ fan and attended every single concert... but only Michael could see him! :lmao:

On a more serious note, Wembley is truly INCREDIBLE! I am soooo happy with this release! Michael is just ... ah ... magic. :wub: I can only manage to watch half hanging off the couch in sheer awe, drinking in every move, every breath. Emotions all over the place, sigh. The vid quality is very impressively better than the clip that aired some months back on ITV, too. Wonderful, all things considered. And personally I love the lack of audience shots, etc. It's all about Michael, and he's the one I wanna see! I have nothing negative to add ... It's just pure enjoyment, adoring the master in all breathless glory! :bow:

Watched the DVD again and I believe my favorite performance is BAD

What's yours ?

The 2nd pressing was released in 1988 on Michael's request. Updated mixes and cut intro on IJCSLY.
These new mixes first appeared digitally remastered on HIStory's disc 1 "HIStory Begins" in 1995.

Re: Greg Phillinganes Playing 'Layla' during Solo

The 2nd song was Susudio by Phil Collins

Back