What is the Last Music Bio Book You've Read?

Re: what last music bio book have you read?...

Ive only read 'Magic and the Madness' Michael Jackson

Read Quincy Jones Biog recently and was impressed by his straight talking at first but as the book wore on it was obvious that Quincy has a huge ego and seemed to lay credit for most of the great artist he's worked with mainly to himself. He also tries to wash over the Michael Jackson era even though that is the most important of QJs career, What I did like was the style of the book with different passages from people who knew and worked with Quincy, some real cats in there!

Read Quincy Jones Biog recently and was impressed by his straight talking at first but as the book wore on it was obvious that Quincy has a huge ego and seemed to lay credit for most of the great artist he's worked with mainly to himself. He also tries to wash over the Michael Jackson era even though that is the most important of QJs career, What I did like was the style of the book with different passages from people who knew and worked with Quincy, some real cats in there!
He just can't win can he, lol. If Q spent a lot of time talking about Mike, people would complain that he was jocking Mike and riding his coatails. But if Q says nothing, then he's downplaying Mike's importance. I read the book (and listened to the audio version too) and Q doesn't say a lot about Sinatra, Peggy Lipton, or the Brothers Johnson either. The book isn't about other people, it's about Quincy.

I didn't complain that he didn't say much, rather I implied that he washed over the era which ultimately will be the largest legacy of his career.

He does not diss MJ in this book as his later interviews have done.

It is still a hugely enjoyable book and well worth reading

I recently read Andy Taylor's (the former guitarist in Duran Duran) autobiography. It was pretty interesting.

"Deliver us From Temptation" by Tony Turner. It's not a bio, although I haven't read the Otis Williams book yet.

I think it was "Me & My Shadows" it's written about Judy Garland by her daughter Lorna Luft, really really really good book!

I want to get a Kindle from Amazon soon but they aren't cheap, I'm sick of buying books and having them collect dust afterwards. Now if only "Moonwalk" was available to download onto it.

I Am Ozzy

ozzy_osbourne_2597812.jpg

This dude has done some crazy stuff, and been in some wild situations. It always amazes me that people like Ozzy, Keith Richards, Motley Crue, & Elton John made it to old age.

I Want To Take You Higher: The Life And Times Of Sly And The Family Stone

Apart from Michael Jackson ones, I have finished Prince by Matt Thorne, 500 pages of mostly technically and music journo opinions of every Prince song and boot, not bad, but a bit dry.

Also finished the MJ book by Randall Sullivan, it was okay but lugubrious and bounced around a lot (A main story starting after the trial in 2005, going through to his death and then the subsequent stuff going on up to mid 2012, like Katherine being kidnapped and Jermajesty annoying Prince and Paris) with an earlier subplot of his life before 2005. It was not too gossipy though and I feel Mr Sullivan was a fan of MJ.

45 RPM: The History, Heroes & Villains Of A Pop Music Revolution

51WLylXq8AL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51-HtwpwtHL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dolly Parton, Smart Blonde (2006 with 2015 update)

Currently reading the biography of Dolly Parton called "Smart Blonde" I have always loved her music and personality and can see pass the big boobs and wigs, she had a really hard upbringing and was forced on the stage very young. Still can't get over the fact her sister is called "Willadene", that is like the most hee haw name I have ever heard.
I love a lot of her songs and actually admire a lot of country music. It runs strong in my rural South Island New Zealand roots.

Last edited:
The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings And The American Experience {2014}

16h0s4z.jpg

Life With My Sister by Christopher Ciccone (2008). His tell-all about Madonna and boy did he really hate Guy Ritchie ?

Fortunate Son {2015}

john-fogerty-fortunate-son-book-cover-2015-billboard-650.jpg

I just finished reading this earlier. I've always liked Creedence Clearwater Revival, so this autobiography was interesting to me. I already knew John had problems with Fantasy Records and his former bandmates, but it was worse than I thought.

Let's go crazy by Alan Light.

The book deals with the production of and cultural impact of the whole Purple Rain phenomenon, that made Prince the biggest thing since
Thriller for a few months. The book deals with the songs, album, movie and the effects of it. The author also speaks of his own journey with it all
and given Thriller was the rival and the benchmark, Michael Jackson comes up a lot in this book.
After all, many of the kids turned on to Michael Jackson through Thriller's songs and videos, did the same for Purple Rain, which annihilated the charts
in 1984/85 and the movie made Prince a cultural phenomenon. Also the book mentions that 1984/85 crowned a new star in Prince and also Madonna to join
Michael in that pantheon of the 80s megastar.

Jaco Pastorius,Jimi Hendrix

Before You Judge Me {2016}

tumblr_on1cja3e3O1rw606ko1_r4_1280.jpg

This book is kinda weird. It seems like a historical fiction type of novel than a straight biography.

Last edited:
Re: Before You Judge Me {2016}

tumblr_oerd57VNhv1rw606ko1_r5_500.jpg

This book is kinda weird. It seems like a historical fiction type of novel than a straight biography.
That's pretty much what the reviews have said. And even Smiley-he more or less tried to "get into Michael's head" and IMAGINE what those last days were like-rather than knowing it as fact. I found that rather strange-what did you think of it?

Re: Before You Judge Me {2016}

That's pretty much what the reviews have said. And even Smiley-he more or less tried to "get into Michael's head" and IMAGINE what those last days were like-rather than knowing it as fact. I found that rather strange-what did you think of it?
It talks about some things that happened preparing for the O2 shows and then the book will randomly go into stuff like Mike all of a sudden daydreaming about when he met Shirley Temple and thinking about Dr. Suess & Elvis Presley. According to the book, it seems like Mike spent more time getting Botox (supposedly to prevent a lot of sweating during the concerts) and shopping than rehearsing in the beginning. Also mentions Mike agreeing to do a Jacksons reunion concert and then changing his mind the next day and avoiding Papa Joe's phone calls afterwards.

Back