Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ssriously, why is it so hard for the Estate to do the following:

1. Upload and replace the current barely 480p Thriller version for the 4K one

2. Make millions

3. That's it

4. Seriously that's all it takes

Ssriously, why is it so hard for the Estate to do the following:

1. Upload and replace the current barely 480p Thriller version for the 4K one

2. Make millions

3. That's it

4. Seriously that's all it takes
You replace the original video wouldn't you lose all the views?

The longer I think about it, the more I feel that the estate should’ve done Thriller: Diamond Edition instead of Thriller 40. Make it a definitive, one-stop shop for everything that’s been released from the Thriller era thus far. Something like:
  • CD1: Original album, remastered from the original analog tapes with world-class equipment.
  • CD2: “From the Vault 1981-82.” Outtakes and material recorded in the lead up to Thriller (including music that wasn’t necessarily intended for the album, but came from contemporaneous recording sessions).
  • CD3: Demos and alternate takes of songs from the original album (e.g., “Starlight,” the full version of “The Lady in My Life,” the lower key version of “Human Nature”).
  • CD4: Single edits, 7” mixes, and various other rarities and extras (including all of the material from previous Thriller reissues, like “Carousel” and “Got the Hots,” and “Someone in the Dark”).
  • 4K/Blu-Ray: Thriller documentary, all three of the era’s short films upgraded to 4K, and a newly assembled music video for “The Girl Is Mine” featuring the previously unseen studio footage.
Outfit it like the Paul McCartney Archive Collection projects: a hardcover book with previously unpublished photos, recording session notes, a few essays, lyric sheets, etc., and you’ve got the last Thriller reissue we’ll ever need (at least until 2032, when they reissue it with more materials for Thriller 50). I’d pay a lot for something like this.

The longer I think about it, the more I feel that the estate should’ve done Thriller: Diamond Edition instead of Thriller 40. Make it a definitive, one-stop shop for everything that’s been released from the Thriller era thus far. Something like:
  • CD1: Original album, remastered from the original analog tapes with world-class equipment.
  • CD2: “From the Vault 1981-82.” Outtakes and material recorded in the lead up to Thriller (including music that wasn’t necessarily intended for the album, but came from contemporaneous recording sessions).
  • CD3: Demos and alternate takes of songs from the original album (e.g., “Starlight,” the full version of “The Lady in My Life,” the lower key version of “Human Nature”).
  • CD4: Single edits, 7” mixes, and various other rarities and extras (including all of the material from previous Thriller reissues, like “Carousel” and “Got the Hots,” and “Someone in the Dark”).
  • 4K/Blu-Ray: Thriller documentary, all three of the era’s short films upgraded to 4K, and a newly assembled music video for “The Girl Is Mine” featuring the previously unseen studio footage.
Outfit it like the Paul McCartney Archive Collection projects: a hardcover book with previously unpublished photos, recording session notes, a few essays, lyric sheets, etc., and you’ve got the last Thriller reissue we’ll ever need (at least until 2032, when they reissue it with more materials for Thriller 50). I’d pay a lot for something like this.
The problem is the Estate seems to refuse the basic premise of having to spend money to make money. Why do they still think they'll earn an endless stream of money with no investment?

The problem is the Estate seems to refuse the basic premise of having to spend money to make money. Why do they still think they'll earn an endless stream of money with no investment?
I imagine it's a mixture of streaming cutting into physical sales and then also ensuring they have future material for a long term investment.

I imagine it's a mixture of streaming cutting into physical sales and then also ensuring they have future material for a long term investment.
That's why they have to understand some ideas only work as niche releases and they can't expect a niche release to be a blockbuster.

That's why they have to understand some ideas only work as niche releases and they can't expect a niche release to be a blockbuster.
When it comes to an anniversary release, yes, that is true. Especially for an arbitrary 40th. That's why I imagine mostly keeping it close to the vest with songs we've already heard and had leaked and basically no advertisement. I think the main difference is Paul is still alive to make new music and orchestrate things. Whereas MJ was quality over quantity, at the cost of very few outtakes. But you know that old song and dance.

This certainly would not be a profitable move for the Estate.

Such a release would cost the Estate a lot of money (in terms of manufacturing/production costs), while it would aim only at his die-hard fans.

Considering that his die-hard fans are just a fraction of his overall fans, this would also mean fewer sales of that costly release.

Not to mention that the higher price of that release would even discourage many of his die-hard fans from buying it.

This certainly would not be a profitable move for the Estate.

Such a release would cost the Estate a lot of money (in terms of manufacturing/production costs), while it would aim only at his die-hard fans.

Considering that his die-hard fans are just a fraction of his overall fans, this would also mean fewer sales of that costly release.

Not to mention that the higher price of that release would even discourage many of his die-hard fans from buying it.
Probably as they're winding down from physical releases is when such an offering of a product would be made, when the profit loss is negligible and it's a purely cosmetic offering. More around Thriller 50 time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back