What's next after Xscape?

mjj19582009

Proud Member
With Xscape being released today in the U.S and being a major hit worldwide being number one across the globe, I was thinking what is next after this? What else is the estate planning on doing? Any ideas?

That is a good question what is next after Xscape? The above answers i agree love to see that happen but i would love for Neverland to come back again that is on my wish list to go there to sit under The Giving Tree to walk where Michael walk just to feel his spirit there i know that is a long way down the road but i hope that it will happen one day. I know ppls have said that Michael never want to go back to Neverland it would never be the same but Michael said it himself Neverland is who i am it is apart of me it was a safe place for the childrens to hear the laugher and to see the smiles on their face was beautiful to see it was his way to give back to the world. If not for me then the childrens their are so dear to Michael heart do it for them.

Last edited:
With Xscape being released today in the U.S and being a major hit worldwide being number one across the globe, I was thinking what is next after this? What else is the estate planning on doing? Any ideas?

Now is the time to celbrate Xscpe and not to think and demanding the next releases.

I'd imagine a box set of some kind, with lots of the demos that are unusable, like DIG. If not, I'd imagine a duets album. Maybe an acoustic/stripped/Remixed/classical. Lots of idea's.

XSCAPE time

I think that Xscape is a successful business.

Out of 8 songs on the album 6 had leaked in the past, 2 were unheard: Chicago and Loving You.

Now, what does this mean businesswise? It means that the leaked songs which had never been officially released, they managed to label and release them as "never heard before"... successfully. Which is actually a positive thing. And at the same time finally the fans have the leaked songs officially released in their original format, the way MJ had left them.

This leads me to believe that the Xscape project is a way to get rid of the leaked songs and at the same time to get profit from them by releasing them officially.

This also leads me to believe that Xscape is not the best project out there, but that they have more than one better projects for the future with never heard before and never leaked before tracks.

Xscape is just testing waters, and as we can see is getting mainly positive opinions about it, there is no reason that the future projects don't get more success, especially when we know that there are other songs awaiting to be released. I highly doubt that they used the best songs now and that they left the less good songs for the future releases.

My two cents.

Last edited:

Out of 8 songs on the album 6 had leaked in the past, 2 were unheard: Chicago and Loving You.

Now, what does this mean businesswise? It means that the leaked songs which had never been officially released, they managed to label and release them as "never heard before"... successfully. Which is actually a positive thing. And at the same time finally the fans have the leaked songs officially released in their original format, the way MJ had left them.

This leads me to believe that the Xscape project is a way to get rid of the leaked songs and at the same time to get profit from them by releasing them officially.

This also leads me to believe that Xscape is not the best project out there, but that they have more than one better projects for the future with never heard before and never leaked before tracks.

Xscape is just testing waters, and as we can see is getting mainly positive opinions about it, there is no reason that the future projects don't get more success, especially when we know that there are other songs awaiting to be released. I highly doubt that they used the best songs now and that they left the less god songs for the future releases.

My two cents.

I agree with this. Why would they use all the "best songs" at their disposal in one go? My feeling is that they took songs that we already knew (the 6 you mentioned) and wanted to present THEM to us in a completely different style. The new versions of those songs sound nothing like the one's we have already had. So I'm thinking for the next project, they will take another 8-9 songs but present them to us in a more MJ sounding atmosphere. I think LA saying that he picked the best 8 songs there were HAS to be said because he is not marketing this album for hardcore MJ fans. We know there's more in the vault. The layman doesn't. The general public will think "oh, this must be it then" and then BAAAAAAM new album of unreleased material before they know what hits them, and they'll be like "Jesus, how many good songs did this guy record in his lfietime!?"

Hopefully we will see more unreleased material instead of re-releases or box set's with minimal new content but for now, I think the estate have chosen the right path with XSCAPE and that path is worldwide recognition that Michael Jackson is still out there ready to take on anyone today. And win.

I agree with this. Why would they use all the "best songs" at their disposal in one go? My feeling is that they took songs that we already knew (the 6 you mentioned) and wanted to present THEM to us in a completely different style. The new versions of those songs sound nothing like the one's we have already had. So I'm thinking for the next project, they will take another 8-9 songs but present them to us in a more MJ sounding atmosphere. I think LA saying that he picked the best 8 songs there were HAS to be said because he is not marketing this album for hardcore MJ fans. We know there's more in the vault. The layman doesn't. The general public will think "oh, this must be it then" and then BAAAAAAM new album of unreleased material before they know what hits them, and they'll be like "Jesus, how many good songs did this guy record in his lfietime!?"

Hopefully we will see more unreleased material instead of re-releases or box set's with minimal new content but for now, I think the estate have chosen the right path with XSCAPE and that path is worldwide recognition that Michael Jackson is still out there ready to take on anyone today. And win.

I don't recollect the exact terms used by LA Reid, but when he said "the best" to me it sounded more like "the best for the Xscape project". Or maybe I am over-analysing...

That is why Michael legacy will live on and never die the best is yet to come.

Xscape is just testing waters, and as we can see is getting mainly positive opinions about it, there is no reason that the future projects don't get more success, especially when we know that there are other songs awaiting to be released. I highly doubt that they used the best songs now and that they left the less good songs for the future releases.

My two cents.
I don't agree with this and I think you're downplaying the amount of thought and effort that went into this project. I don't believe for a moment that XSCAPE is a way for Epic / the estate to "test the waters", for example. I think the Michael album took that role and was a massive lesson for them, and the response from both critics and fans obviously had a big influence on how they adjusted their approach to "new" releases. I also believe the songs on XSCAPE are, actually, probably some of the best unreleased material they have but that doesn't mean there isn't more that could be on the same level or even better.

I believe that L.A. Reid really wanted to make a cohesive Michael Jackson album that would honor his legacy, thrive in today's musical landscape, kick ass on the charts and remind the world of Michael's singular gift / talents. They *want* a smash hit (and why wouldn't they?) so there's just no way Epic and the estate sat around a table and said "we really need to get these leaked songs out there so we can move on to the better, un-leaked stuff". Doing that would've been one quick way to kill the flow and creativity of the project -- they picked songs that fit together and fit the style and atmosphere they were going for.

To say XSCAPE is "good business" and insinuating that it is just their way to "get rid of" the leaked songs, when there is obviously a lot of passion and love for MJ behind the project, is a very cold and cynical way of looking at it that borders on disrespect to me. And to say that they consciously wouldn't use the best songs for it is ridiculous. Why put all the effort in, then?

And, I'm sorry, but the album hasn't even been out for a week... We've only had one single and the promotion has only just started to hit it's stride with several announced events (music video, Billboard Awards) and (I'm sure) a bunch of unannounced stuff to look forward to in the weeks and months to come. Do we really need to start talking about the next step already? Is that how short our attention spans are? Good lord... If anything I would like to see this thread moved to the Michael Mania forum. Topics on this forum should be about XSCAPE. Not about what we should be getting next.

Great Thread!

They selected 24 completed songs, that means, they easily can put out two more albums ;) :hiya:

I am thinking Dangerous 25th. Don't see why they will miss it since we have T25 and B25

But me and a friend talked about how amazing it would be if they released some kind of Invincible project with all demos, outtakes and ideas. Just everything put out there from the Vince sessions, including a lot of different footage like studio footage.

Including a documentary put together with the people who was involved with the album, showing how it all came to life.

This could be done for D25 as well of course, even more interesting.

some people have been saying that these unreleased songs are not the best. I know the idea of what is 'better' is completely subjective but you're probably wrong.

It isn't a coincidence that the majority of these songs have been leaked previously and L.A Reid is calling them the best unreleased material. We need to remember the reason this leaked is because they were production outtakes for Michael so even back in 2010 these were considered the best songs and knowing they were not out on the album because sony didn't like the new production eg. trickys sttr i think we can expect much less greater quality material.

I am thinking Dangerous 25th. Don't see why they will miss it since we have T25 and B25

But me and a friend talked about how amazing it would be if they released some kind of Invincible project with all demos, outtakes and ideas. Just everything put out there from the Vince sessions, including a lot of different footage like studio footage.

Including a documentary put together with the people who was involved with the album, showing how it all came to life.

This could be done for D25 as well of course, even more interesting.

That would be nice, to Sony finally make up for not promoting Invicible album...
Studio outtakes with Mike singing would be awesome! According to some word press Mike left tone of songs that supposed to be on INvicible and they have later years too ,i guess. They can easily make Dangerous 25,History 25, Invicible Special Edition (I state SE because it wasnt that big hit as others albums so no need for anniversary yet,maybe just pecial edition soon?)and few albums like Xscape with mixed songs....

I'm hoping for an anniversary album of Off The Wall. This was going to be the next project for MJ back in 2009 but was put on the back burner when the This Is It deal was made. I even remember that michaeljackson.com had an OTW design theme to it back then.

The Freddie Mercury duets, the Beverly D'Angelo duet, Last Photo Shoots

After listening to Xscape several times throughout the course of 24hrs I too thought to myself what could possibly be next and about the only thing I can imagine wanting is Dangerous 25. Take what worked with BAD25 and make it greater. I'm not sure if they'd do another documentary as that kind of takes away from the importance of the doc for BAD25...not saying its impossible. I would love for Spike Lee or someone to make another doc discussing the importance and the power of Dangerous because so many stop at BAD and neglect all of MJs other works and I think that can explained perfectly in a doc. Obviously would like to see a new concert as well and audio of the concert.

Other than that I mean...personally, I'm good with any additional unrleased stuff. Most of the material I end up forgetting about over time anyway. Much like Xscape there are two or three tracks that will stick but nothing blows me away. I'd like to get something different....like an offical acapella/instrumental tracklisting. Granted you can get most of that stuff online but I mean an official studio quality release.

In saying all of this we have to realize there are two audiences. There is the hardcore that will buy almost anything. Then there are casuals and that is who they need to draw in to make the most out of the project. Say what you want at the end of the day the goal is to make money and if you can crab the casuals you get the most out of it. There is no mistake in the last time I saw the youtube channel that the JT of love never felt so good had 6million more views than the other. Same thing takes place in the gaming and movie industries. You know those that love a particular franchise will be all in...but how do you draw in those who otherwise dont care? Thats the real trick and I'm not sure how you do that with Mike not being here.

For 2016 Dangerous 25: Original album, 4-6 outtakes. plus a never before seen Dangerous tour live on Blu Ray.

It would also be nice to release a Victory Tour on blu ray this year or next year. Get that out of the way.

Another idea would be to release Bad Tour L.A on blu ray, considering the crappy job they did with Wembley in terms of quality.

I don't agree with this and I think you're downplaying the amount of thought and effort that went into this project. I don't believe for a moment that XSCAPE is a way for Epic / the estate to "test the waters", for example. I think the Michael album took that role and was a massive lesson for them, and the response from both critics and fans obviously had a big influence on how they adjusted their approach to "new" releases. I also believe the songs on XSCAPE are, actually, probably some of the best unreleased material they have but that doesn't mean there isn't more that could be on the same level or even better.

I believe that L.A. Reid really wanted to make a cohesive Michael Jackson album that would honor his legacy, thrive in today's musical landscape, kick ass on the charts and remind the world of Michael's singular gift / talents. They *want* a smash hit (and why wouldn't they?) so there's just no way Epic and the estate sat around a table and said "we really need to get these leaked songs out there so we can move on to the better, un-leaked stuff". Doing that would've been one quick way to kill the flow and creativity of the project -- they picked songs that fit together and fit the style and atmosphere they were going for.

To say XSCAPE is "good business" and insinuating that it is just their way to "get rid of" the leaked songs, when there is obviously a lot of passion and love for MJ behind the project, is a very cold and cynical way of looking at it that borders on disrespect to me. And to say that they consciously wouldn't use the best songs for it is ridiculous. Why put all the effort in, then?

And, I'm sorry, but the album hasn't even been out for a week... We've only had one single and the promotion has only just started to hit it's stride with several announced events (music video, Billboard Awards) and (I'm sure) a bunch of unannounced stuff to look forward to in the weeks and months to come. Do we really need to start talking about the next step already? Is that how short our attention spans are? Good lord... If anything I would like to see this thread moved to the Michael Mania forum. Topics on this forum should be about XSCAPE. Not about what we should be getting next.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying.

I wasn't downplaying anything. I never said it wasn't made with love and dedication.

In a nutshell I said they turned sth that was already out there (leaked) into gold, which is a very positive thing. And also I don't believe for a moment that they used all the best songs now, because strategically speaking it wouldn't be wise to use less good songs later. I am sure they left further surprises for the future releases. It's pure logic and don't forget that set aside love and dedication with a project one must also be wise businesswise, and that's what MJ was too, a businessman with a clear strategy and a plan. The releases are not pure random love at first sight productions, but thoughtful steps towards how to conquer the publicn the charts, how to draw interest and then how to supply the demanding public with further releases.

I refuse to believe that there is no more great material. I have tons of stuff that has been leaked, is great, and is not on an album...Trouble? Hot Street? Nite Line? She Got It? Work That Body?

Plus, we know of songs like Men In Black, Days In, Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me, etc. Michael left tons of stuff that these producers could work their magic on...Michael himself said he recorded around 70 songs for Invincible, 16 made the cut, 4 more we have, what about the rest?

^^^^ Defo. There's a lot of stuff from Invincible that we haven't heard :)

2015... something to do with HIStory perhaps? possibly a HIStory Tour cinema release, i wouldn't disagree. Although i would for sure prefer if they released the full BAD Tour concerts in the archive, it's already been stated that they have full shows in High Definition, i'll appreciate anything they choose, but that's my wishlist... it's too soon to release an album.. even if it is just instrumental.. and no more greatest hits please, something High Resolution.. and i mean visual... unseen this is it footage, dangerous tour blu ray, short film blu ray or bad tour blu ray is at the top of my list.. let's continue to celebrate this beautiful new album first though.

I wouldn't mind Dangerous 25 coming out in fall 2015, it would be a little early, but they could stretch it out over into 2016, then later in 2016 releasing something for Invincible. Perhaps a remastered album, a second disc of outtakes, unreleased remixies from the time and perhaps releasing the 30th anniversary concerts. Who knows what's in the vaults as far as initial plans regarding the album, it would be interesting to see some insight on the ideas MJ wanted to try and produce, but sadly never got to. Sony probably wouldn't get to far into this topic though as it makes them look bad.

HIStory is going to be an odd release to tackle, as everyone knows it was a partly retrospective collection to begin with. I'm not sure if they would want to re-release it as originally released. At this point the greatest hits collection has been played out. MJ fans have all those songs and the general public probably do too. At this point there have been more greatest hit compilations than actual original MJ albums. It made since at the time no doubt, but another re-release of the greatest hits disc would only add to the cost of the overall set.

HIStory (Disc One, single disc release)
Number Ones
Ultimate Collection
This is it
The Essential Michael Jackson (2 Disc)
The Essential Michael Jackson (3 Disc)
King of Pop

Despite the first disc of HIStory being a greatest hits disc, the title HIS-tory (as in HIS STORY) is written in a way that the second disc can stand alone as a complete album. I would only include HISTory continues of original material, the second disc would be Blood on the dance floor and would be expanded by other remixes from the era as bonus tracks. A third disc would include outtakes and the 4th disc would be a dvd or blu ray that featured a concert from the History tour.

This would also give the opportunity to finally give GHOSTS a proper release, but I think Ghosts and Thriller could be served well as a double feature, perhaps transferred to 3D. Maybe even a limited Halloween time release in theaters?

Victory Tour DVD

While there's already a certain hype created with the release of Xscape IMO it'd be appropriate to use this positive flow with a Jacksons Victory 30th Anniversary release.

A lillte box set with a Tour DVD and a few unreleased Jacksons outtakes/demos (not necessarily limited to Victory sessions) would do fine. In addition, it could contain the original versions of the MJ&FM material while Queen could release the 2012-2014 reworks simultaneously on their own album/compilation. It would be a win/win situation for all.:)

Back