Where Are Michael's Ancestors From?

that was such an interesting read. thanks dastymay.
i could see it as a movie. I'd love to direct it. :p
Yes. This could be mornumental. I would love to see it as a movie. Not just focussing on the children but on the parents. Joe's sory is surprisingly intersting. I don't know if there is a way to get him to publish it in english.:)

Chapter 6.

My Girl

A year has passed. I have saved enough to buy my first car, dark brown 55th byuick. I seemed a king to myself . I could sweep by with the girl in my own car!
My best friend was my stepbrother . We helped each other and did everything together.
He called me Jack or Joe Jack. Hee) too has grown up in Arkansas, but not in the same part, that I, and he was a good hunter, therefore we have decided to hunt together in the woods of Arkansas. Here and there the wood was such dense, that even in midday it was dark there. Here must were panthers about which I heard so much. I very much wanted to hit one, that's why we have bought 22d rifle and an ammunition.
One day I sat near the window and dreamed of our trip to hunting, and suddenly I saw a harmonous girl with wonderfuly beautiful features on the other side of the street, she went on a bicycle along the sidewalk. Her skin was yellowish-brown, like the most sweet honey. It was the most beautiful shade which I ever saw at a girl.
She has reached to the end of street, then stopped, has looked back and went back again. When she passed by my house, she lifted her eyes and looked at me. After that she has irresolutely stopped at the end of a quarter, she probably wondered if she should pass there again to let me speak to her. At last she decided to so it and has stopped precisely opposite to my house on other side of the street. "Hi! ", I have shouted.
And she actually responded and had passed through street to talk to me. I have asked, what is her name and where she lives. Her name was Katherine Scruse and she was visiting her mother which livedin the next quarter, and the reason why I never before seen her, was because she all the time, lived in the house of her stepmother in Indiana Harbor, for 10 miles away from here. She seemed to me so mild and lovely, that I have by all means wanted to get to know her better. So I have invited Katherine to come upstairs so my mum, brothers and sister Lula have got acquainted with her. She has willingly agreed. To my surprise, Lula already knew her by sight, and she at once really liked Katherine.
Well, if my sister liked her than I was on the right way.
I took her to the movies in my car, and we have made friends.
I have found out, that she has younger sister. She was fuller, and her face was more round. She was a good pupil, played basketball, and even tried to play football. It was a strong girl, she could struggle. After a while I have introdused her to my stepbrother. We everywhere went together, and certainly my stepbrother has fallen in love with younger Katherine's sister whom all called just Kate.
Kate's mother got married in 2d time. Just as my parents and generally all parents then, her too were very strict. For Kate's stepfather it meant, that he without ceremony can start to shoot, if I will fight with him because of her.
Despite of it, I wanted to be together with my new girlfriend more often, and I have decided to get acquainted with her family, including the stepfather.
Kate was so shy, that she never looked me in the face. When I talked to her, she always allocated the sight aside, and glanced at me secretly when thought, that I will not notice. Once, when me and Kate walked, I have told to her: " I will come to visit you because I want to get acquainted with your parents ".
"No, don't. You do not understand ", she has murmured scaredly.
By then with my stepbrother and her younger sister everything was rather serious. I saw, how they, hugged, go along the street or walk in park. But Kate did not want to walk with me. She did not bear to be exposed on a general review.
When in she in 1 time has agreed to take a walk with me, she all the time looked at me with fear to find out, whether I have noticed, that she limps. Certainly, I have noticed, but to me generally it was indifferent. I have asked her, what has happened to her and she has explained, that in childhood was ill with a poliomyelitis and she was operated many times, so she could walk better. Katherine so well could express her ideas. And she was the good friend who always supported me.
I was afraid of nothing and was rather reckless. Kate was a complete opposite of me, she needed somebody who would protect her. One evening she has invited me to a party. I put on the best suit and a tie, and have gone there.
When I have come, the party was in the heat, and everybody danced. Kate sat behind table and waited for me. Other girls have left their partners on a dancefloor and have gathered around me. Probably they, have thought, that I am a movie star or something in this sort because I was so well dressed. I have seen, that Kate has lowered her head with sadness because all of them courted around me but when she has noticed, that these girls do not interest me, and I go directly to her, she has smiled again. And guys who thought, that I want to take their girlfriends away, have again calmed down. I have helped her to get up, and we danced slow dance. Suddenly I have felt, that Kate shivers all over her body.
" Why are you shivering? ", I have asked.
" Forgive me, I so am nervous ", she has answered so silently, that I hardly have understood her.
" Why? "
" Because all of them observe us ".
I have turned back, and to my amazement have seen, that anybody except for us does not dance, and all closely examine us. But it did not bother me. I have drawn Kate closer to myself, and we have continued to dance.
She has told me, that because of a children's paralysis she had to wear a splint and consequently the leg has not grown any more. It didn't matter to me, what others thought of her because of it. I knew, that she was strong, and I loved her.
Around the midnight I have brought Kate home and led her to the front doors. She stood there and looked at me like she thought, that I will come in together with her.
" Forgive me, but I have to go ", she said.
" Ok, call me in the morning ", I have answered.
On the way home I could not take her out of my thoughts; the way looked, the way she spoke, even the way she shivered. And the way she patiently sat there and waited for me. All night long I did not sleep and thought about Katherine. The anticipation of pleasure of our long time planned hunting which recently so occupied me, has been superseded by thoughts about Kate.
Finally the morning has come. Mum and the stepfather already were up when in 8 o'clock in the morning the phone has rung near to my bed. It was Kate, she asked, if I slept.
" I could not fall asleep ", I have answered.
" Joe, I too could not fall asleep "
" Why? "
" I all time thought of the party, and how we danced. I simply laid in a bed and thought of it. And also I have written to you letter ", she has added.
" But you live in the next quarter, we can meet and talk ", I have answered.
" I better write what I do not dare to tell "
" And where is the letter? "
" I will bring it to you and I will put on a porch "
"OK"
I stood on the stairs before the entrance door when Katherine has driven as a whirlwind on the bicycle and gave me the letter. When I went back, my sister smiled.
" That girl is fine right? Do you like her? ", she asked.
" Yes, very much ", I have admitted.
When I stayed in the room, I have opened the envelope. Katherine wrote me how strong she loved me. And she has admitted, that there is one more guy which she liked. Since she has named him, I asked people which knew Kate, about her admirer. I was told that he knows her from school - they were holding hands, kissed and hugged. He was with her already 5 years and very much loved her. After that I was more than was ever full of determination, to win Katherine.
She has come to me after a while and said:
" I told to you about my friend. We have broke up "
" What? ", I have exclaimed, trying to hide the joy.
" I have told him how much you mean to me. And that I love you ".
Then she constantly wrote to me, I myself asked her about it. " Write to me one more love letter ". I loved her letters, her feelings were clearly reflected in them. She really loved me very much. And I knew: if you loved by such girl, it is impossible to treat it thoughtlessly.
By then we constantly were together. Other girls, certainly, tried to get close to me, but they did not interest me any more. I felt, that Katherine - that woman whom I want to marry.
And once I have collected all my courage and have gone to get acquainted with her parents. Bald man has opened the door to me. His voice was similar to a trumpet of Jericho, and he has greeted me with such tone as if he wanted to banish me from his verandah.
Behind of him there was a lady slightly over 40, Katherine's mother. " You, are probably Joe! ", she has exclaimed. " Well, come in! ".
So that means, the man with such loud voice which has barred the way to me - Katherine's stepfather. He has not moved from the place. Instinctively I have stepped forward, and I was very much surprised, when he without objections has receded aside and has le t me come in. But he did not lower the eyes from me and since I heard, that he can shoot at the one who he did not like, I too was on the alert.
" I would like to talk to you about your daughter ", I have declared.
" About what daughter? ", he yelled as he did not know with which one of the sisters I'm friends with. But, at least, he started to communicate with me, and when he has told, that is going to hunt for rabbits, he has really quickened. I have sighed with simplification - we have at least one common interest.
" My stepbrother and I are planning to hunt for a wild boar. And I too would like to hit the panther ", I have told.
" Really, and with what will you go on such a large animal? ", he asked.
" We have 22d rifle with an optical sight "
" You are both crazy", he answered.
" What do you mean? "
" With such an easy weapon they do not hunt on such game. You need at least a heavy winchester "
" I am a good shooters. If I will hit it in the head, I will kill him."
"And if you will miss? ", he asked.
" I've never missed yet", I said proudly.
" But the wild boar will not run away, if you will miss. It will jump directly on you. You still need another weapon ".
" I have it."
" And what is it? "
"A Pistol"
" You plan to go for hunting with a pistol?! "
" Yes, sir. We have bought pistols and patrons ".
I, probably seemed abnormal, to him but anyway he has offered me coffee and smiled, when I have assured him, that somehow next time I with pleasure would go hunting with him.
Kate's mum was more friendly. She made food for us and even has made a baked pudding of a sweet potato. It was her who mostly kept up the conversation, while the stepfather closely examined me, as though estimated, what else he should ask me. I all the time thought with horror, that he for sure has a lot of guns, and he any moment can get one of them.
I sill didn not see Kate, but she observed us from the next room and when she has noticed, that her parents start accsept me, she dared to come out.
" Come here! Your friend wants to see you", the voice of her stepfather has thundered. Katherine has obediently sat down near the table and has put her hands on her knees. She has looked down, but from time to time she threw sights full of love on me.
Since her stepfather observed of me, it was not hidden from him.
" Humm, Matt, the girl is in love ", he has noticed to the wife. (He called wife Matt)." She behaves not as usually. I observed her some time, and she is not as she was before. Is it clear, to you Matt, that the girl is in love? "
"Matt", certainly, has noticed it too, but she has somehow hushed up this topic so that her husband would not get mad. I have thought, that this is right moment to admit to the parents in everything - well, almost in everything, and I have told them, that me and Katherine have a lot in common, and that I like their doughter vey much. I did not hold back, that my parents are divorsed, and how I have grown.
Later Kate's sister has joined our conversation, we communicated, then the stepfather has had an idea to play checkers. I have never played checkers, and he was very happy, that he easily can beat me in it. Nevertheless I had to interrupt - I should prepare for work. When I began to say goodbye and have named this reason, Kate's stepfather has told:
" What?! You have work? "
" Yes, sir. I work in foundry to shop ", I have answered.
" That's how? I work accross it and if my memory does not lie, I've seen you there few times. I knew, your face was familiar to me. Vivist us someday, I'll be glad if you will visit us ", he has declared and friendly patted my shoulder.
I came back home with a reliefed heart. Finally I did not need to be afraid, that I Kate's family won't like me.
At home everybody already waited for me, but I at once have gone to the room. I couldn't get read of Lula so easily. she followed me and said:
" Well, now you will get married for sure", she said.
" Not right away. I have to consider and weigh everything seriously once again, all pro and contra ".
With such important things I never hurried up.
My stepbrother who has been seriously in love with Katherine's sister, did not have then any problems with her stepfather because I have blazed to him a path. And with me the stepfather was so closed because Kate was his favourite. And it is not surprising. Kate was a complete opposite of her sister. She never contradicted and did everything, her parents demanded. She was so lovely and gentle, that there was nothing else I could do, besides fall in love with her.

user_offline.gif

Yes, yes. Chip off the old block. I have always said, that of all the children, MJ is the most like him. You will find that they are both dreamers too and they both have the same work ethic.

That is very true. A man who used to work with MJ said the same thing about Joe and Michael. They are very similar in their personalities and I think that is why they clashed when MJ was in his 20's and 30's. Dats, I read the whole thing on the old MJJF board. I am happy that you are posting the book on this thread. I think that everyone should read what he says and understand where he is coming from instead of judging him based on what the media says about him. Joe did a lot of things for his family and many people might not agree to how he did it but I know there are many people out there who really wished they had a father almost like him because they could have needed that extra boost to become successful. Whenever people trashed Joe and say that he was "not a good father" I always remind people of the many days that Joe came into that court room and supported his son. None of Michael's so called "father figures" dared to support him when he was down quite like his own father. That is something to think about. If you can, Dats, try to post all of the chapters. I wish this thread reached to 100 replies instead of 60, 61.

I knew it! a shaman. ^_^

cool, I´ve never thought about the possibility that such kind of information would be published. thanks.

Last edited:
That is very true. A man who used to work with MJ said the same thing about Joe and Michael. They are very similar in their personalities and I think that is why they clashed when MJ was in his 20's and 30's. Dats, I read the whole thing on the old MJJF board. I am happy that you are posting the book on this thread. I think that everyone should read what he says and understand where he is coming from instead of judging him based on what the media says about him. Joe did a lot of things for his family and many people might not agree to how he did it but I know there are many people out there who really wished they had a father almost like him because they could have needed that extra boost to become successful. Whenever people trashed Joe and say that he was "not a good father" I always remind people of the many days that Joe came into that court room and supported his son. None of Michael's so called "father figures" dared to support him when he was down quite like his own father. That is something to think about. If you can, Dats, try to post all of the chapters. I wish this thread reached to 100 replies instead of 60, 61.
Yes, Bee. The difference between MJ and Joe is to do with wealth and culture. Mj growing up in hollywood and having millions in the bank, where as Joe grew up in a depressed and deprived neighbourhood and had very little of anything.
Other than that, the two men are fundamentally similar, they have the same mind set, steely determination, like to win, comimg second is losing, both are perfectionists, and dreamers and risk takers, and both are very strict on descipline and they are very romantic too. Michael knows this too cause he has said it a number of times.
And this genious took his family out of poverty to become America's most successful music family. That is some achievement.:)

Last edited:
Chapter 7.

Marriage and Children

One autumn evening we did a ride in the car. I wanted to say so much, but I did not know from what to begin, therefore I was not too talkative, only from time to time I threw admiring sights on sitting near to me Kate. There was a fragrant white flower in her hair which wonderfully shaded her wavy black hair. Kate was in white suit with pants, her gold earrings sparkled in a moonlight. For some time we simply went forward on the road, then I have found a silent place under the trees and have stopped. The owl has cried in the distance, I have thought it was a good sign.

" This summer together with you was so wonderful, Kate". We talked, but time flew by too quickly, and suddenly at once there has come midnight.
" It will be better, if now I take you home, Kate ". She has disappointedly noded and has looked down. Both of us did not want, this evening to end.
I have bent to kiss her on a cheek, but then stopped. "Katherine", I have told with serious tone. She has looked at me, and I have continued: " Will you marry me? "
Kate began to shiver, as at the day we first danced. I have gently kissed her on the mouth and held my arms till she stopped shivering.
"Will you? Will You marry me? ", I have asked once again.
"Yes", hardly audible Katherine has answered.
I enjoyed looking at her face, her golden skin and gentle brown eyes in which moonlight played, and felt like the happiest the man on earth. I will marry the woman of whom I dreamed all the summer long. I was confident, that Kate will become a good wife and we will have a wonderful family.
In November, 1949 we have celebrated the wedding in a narrow circle. There were only family members, but I was satisfyed with it. I anyway was interested only in Katherine.
Soon we expected our first child, and I was going to buy a house. Unfortunately, we presumed to ourselves the smallest houses in Gary but since I wanted to have only 2 children, I believed, that there will be enough place. We have combined together my savings and money of Kate's stepfather and have brought 1st payment for the house on Jackson street, and then we bought at one time, everything that was first of all necessary for us: a refrigerator, a kitchen - range and a bed.
Katherine constantly wanted to prepare for me for my favourite foods. She was a good cooker and all the time tried to learn something new. The meat that she cooked was mealted in my mouth, and all foolds were seasoned. When I came from work in the evening, the meal already waited for me on a table. Kate filled my plate, put it on a clean cloth, and herself again went to the kitchen- range, because wanted to see if I like it.
" Kate, come, sit down", I asked her.
" Everything is all right, Joe. I better stay here", she answered.
I had to persuade her for long before she finally has sat down near the table to eat something too. She really was very shy. But I will tell to you, that in some years she became, indoubtedly, the best cook in the city. There's no restorunt in the world where I could eat the way at home with Katherine. And she keeps the house in perfect order. She never forgets nothing. I am so proud of my wife.
When Kathrine gave birth to our first-born, she suffered during 2 long, painful nights, and the doctor, my aunt and mum helped her during labor. (In past in Southern states blacks were not taken to hospitals.) I waited outside and continually peeped in a window. Our first child, the girl at last was born. I was awfully happy and proud, at first time I've become a father.
First I wanted a boy, but Maureen which we have nicknamed Rebbie later appeared such outstanding personality, that I at once have fallen in love with her. She was rather temperamental for such a baby. She shouted so loudly, that it was audible in all the house! At the same time my daughter has helped me to realize all degree of my responsibility. I have decided to get at my factory, work with the greater salary that I could take care of her and Katherine.
In the meantime we evetually prepared for hunting. Both I and my 2 stepbrothers looked forward to it with impatience for some months. I drove from Gary to Arkansas, we have spent the night there in the open-air. The next morning we have wore boots, collected equipment and went to the road. I still never came so far into a wood, but my stepbrother was expiriensed. We suited a halt near the wide river. There was a boat here, it belonged to the friend of my brother.
" Know what? Let's put our fishing tackles here, and go float a little downwards on the river. When we will return, we already will have fish ", he has suggested. I have unpacked fishing tackles and have been compelled to ascertain, that we have forgotten the most important - a bait. But my stepbrother has found a way out. " Listen, Joe ", he has said, " take a gun and hit a bird. We then have taken meat for the fish. I by a boat will come up on the middle of the river. And you will shoot a bird on that tree on the coast and when it will fall in water, I will take it ".
My favourite stepbrother has come in a boat. When he reached up to the middle, he has shouted: " you see a bird there on a tree? "
"Of course", I have answered.
My younger stepbrother has remained on coast below on current, the boat was to the left of me. The bird chirped on a fur-tree on the right. I have aimed at heart and have pressed on the trigger. Boom!!
The bullet has passed through a bird and with a an indistinct crash has jumped aside from a tree trunk. " Aaw, I am wounded! ", my stepbrother has cried.
All occured as in slow-motion shot. I saw as my best friend have fallen down in the river, and could not believe my eyes. I have jumped in water and though he was much more bigger and heavyer than me, I was so is excited, in my blood there was so much of an adrenaline, that it was possible to me with the brother on hands to get out on coast. There I have cautiously put him on a grass.
He was wounded in a head. The splinter of a bullet has hit him in an eye. My knees shivered from fear and exitment when we carried him to the car. His blood has filled my shirt, and he shouted all the time, as if he is just about to die.
In hospital I have explained to sisters and doctors, that I on imprudence have wounded my brother, but they have not wanted to help him (Such things happened in 40s if you were black). On the contrary, they wanted to get rid of us as soon as possible, and it became clear to me that insisting will not help it . They don't give a damn, how hard my brother is wounded, they will not accept him.
I had to come up with something else before he would loose his blood. Than I remembered about one rich white lady that lived not far away from the hospital( remember about the doughter of the planter?). She was related to my mother and knew our family for a long time though till now did not recognize, that she is related to the blackes.
But she was my last hope. I have quickly exchanged shirts with my younger stepbrother, have jumped in the car and in clouds of a dust have dashed away from the hospital parking. Before the gate to the house of the old lady I have stopped, have run up to a door and have rang the doorbell. It seemed me eternity before she opened. Hurrying up, I have told her the whole story. She has silently listened. "Let's go" she said then. I immideatly open the door in front of her when she leaning on a stick, toddled to my car.
When she saw my brother on a dirty parking before an accident ward, she, highly lifted her head, together with me has marched directly to the hospital. She knew all employees on names, they were her neighbours, and she has declared them, that they have to accept my stepbrother, because he is from her family. " And Joe is my nephew ", she has told.
Doctors at once became much more friendly and more attentive, and promised to make everything, they can.
While the doctor cared of my brother and sewed up a wound, he explained to me, that it is impossible to rescue his eye. " But we can make him an eye of glass, such eye even will move, if he will turn his head ", he has told, probably to encourage me.
3 week later they have inserted a glass eye. Since muscles of the eye have been damaged, it half hanged down downwards, and it was visible that it not real. Looked nevertheless better, than an empty eye-socket.
My stepfather and mother of my stepbrother were in fury because I caused this misfortune and though I have paid all hospital accounts, they behaved as if it was not accident, and I intentionally have made it. Despite of all this, I wanted to keep taking care of my stepbrother, eventually he was my friend. And I communicted everyday with his girfriend, she was the sister of my wife. Nevertheless our relationship have gone wrong. We did not quarrel, but also were not as close as before.
Then he married the sister of my wife and became my brother-in-law. I hoped, that it will change something, I in fact have made everything to help him. I even have paid very expensive glass eye, and have apologized too. But all this has not helped.
Kate was again pregnant. Ours 2d child had to be born in a hospital and when Kate's labour have begun, I had to make a hard decision. If I will take a full day off with no payment, I will not have enough money for the mortgage, diapers, medicines for Kate and children. Therefore I have gone to work, and instead of myself sent my mum and sister to the hospital.
In the first break I have run there and with simplification have have found out, that the second labour was not so heavy and didn't last so long. The kid, our first boy, was healthy and was born just in birthday of my wife.
I have gone to hospital right after the shift. We have named the child Sigmund Esco. Pops which later came from Oakland to visit us, named him simply "Jackson boy ", and from this eventually it turned to получилось Jackie. I finally had a son that I always dreamed of, and now, on my representations our family was perfect. "We have boy and the girl, now we are a true family ", I told Katherine.
But it was less than a year when my wife became pregnant again. And what else could you expect from a man like me? We had a boy again At us the boy, Toriano which we have later nicknamed Tito.
But now I really had to earn money, because we needed much more milk and vegetables. And also I have followed the lead of my parents and began to give out daily to children one spoon of cod-liver oil. They were making such faces that we couldn't not to lough.
On the steel factory they finally made me a crane operator. I liked the work and I tried to do it as better as possible, but conditions remained heavy because people constantly were fired, and I too very much was afraid of firing.
I all time searched for collateral earnings, in fact I had to feed the family. Due to this circumstance I have understood, that I am obliged to enable children to receive appropriate education so that in the future they wouldn't have to work as hard as me.
Since I still believed, that I can succseed in show business, I sang each free minute and practised in play on a guitar. When I sat in the crane, I composed songs because I wanted to create a quartet. Sometimes I got so tired, that almost fell asleep during work, but the desire to get on stage someday helped me to not fall asleep.
Singing was easy for me, father has tought me this when I was still a boy, but to play the instrument was not so easy. Fortunately, the longer we practiced, the better our group which we have named " The Falcons " has become. In couple of months we for the first time performed on a party and after that the group was liked so much that we got invited to play on all holidays in Gary. Besides we now could earn some dollars, acting in night clubs.
About this time I have written a song " Tutti Frutti ". Soon after that Little Richard has written the well-known hit with the same name (Certainly, I could now claim that has stoled it from me but I will not do it because in this time we've became good friends. Besides he has a golden heart and he helps other artists with what he only can).
After a while Katherine waited for a child again. Her attending physician tried to persuade her to do an abortion, but for us it has been excluded, for us the family had very big value. So another baby came to world, when I still worked at nigh shift. " Joe , you have a boy again! ", my chief has shouted to me.
I was delighted and immideately ran to the hospital. Mother and the child felt well. Jermaine LaJuane laid on Katherine's hands and swung the tiny cams. " Wow! ", I was surprised, "strong as small "King - kong ". But I should admit, that after birth of Jermaine I should work as possessed to feed the family which became bigger. Thank God, the health did not let me down and I've never been serously sick. Some my colleagues have died on this heavy work of a cancer and other illnesses.
Once Jermaine has felt very much bad, and we had to take him to the hospital. The doctor has told, that he had a nefritis. Katherine and I had no the slightest representation, of what is it and he has explained, that it is illness of kidneys, and fortunately, with babies it in many cases possible to cure. until he recovers our little Jermaine had to stay in the hospital. We visited him as frequently as we could. He always waited for us with impatience and when we had to leave, he cried so plaintively, that sisters did not want us to go away. He jumped on the bed up and down, wanted, us to take him with us. He tried to get out from there, swung handys, shouted and cried.
I tried to not let him to notice, how I suffer because of his sufferings, but hardly we entered into the elevator, my tears started to flow. Ihad to go to work and could not be with him constantly. I remembered all the time the way he crying, stands on the beddy... My only wish was, he recover as soon as possible .

Jermaine has stayed in hospital near 3 weeks. The situation was very serious. The majority of children has defect after the nefritis and when we finally were allowed to take Jermane home, we had to watch, he had more rest and drink to wash out his kidneys. Some weeks have passed before he has completely recovered and again could play with the brothers and the sister. He didn't have any complications after the illness and that was a huge joy for me and Katherine.
Now we had a temperamental girl and three restless boys. Rebbie and Jackie have took dance lessons. Though she was only 5 Rebbie had a promising talent and she has won several competitions.
We lived nearby the baseball field, and I frequently observed, how neighbour's guys train there. When my sons became enough adult to hold a bat, not overturning, I have brought them there. That's how Jackie, Tito and Jermaine have entered in " Katz Kittens ", a team which was sponsored by mayor.

user_offline.gif

Chapter 7.

Marriage and Children

One autumn evening we did a ride in the car. I wanted to say so much, but I did not know from what to begin, therefore I was not too talkative, only from time to time I threw admiring sights on sitting near to me Kate. There was a fragrant white flower in her hair which wonderfully shaded her wavy black hair. Kate was in white suit with pants, her gold earrings sparkled in a moonlight. For some time we simply went forward on the road, then I have found a silent place under the trees and have stopped. The owl has cried in the distance, I have thought it was a good sign.

" This summer together with you was so wonderful, Kate". We talked, but time flew by too quickly, and suddenly at once there has come midnight.
" It will be better, if now I take you home, Kate ". She has disappointedly noded and has looked down. Both of us did not want, this evening to end.
I have bent to kiss her on a cheek, but then stopped. "Katherine", I have told with serious tone. She has looked at me, and I have continued: " Will you marry me? "
Kate began to shiver, as at the day we first danced. I have gently kissed her on the mouth and held my arms till she stopped shivering.
"Will you? Will You marry me? ", I have asked once again.
"Yes", hardly audible Katherine has answered.
I enjoyed looking at her face, her golden skin and gentle brown eyes in which moonlight played, and felt like the happiest the man on earth. I will marry the woman of whom I dreamed all the summer long. I was confident, that Kate will become a good wife and we will have a wonderful family.
In November, 1949 we have celebrated the wedding in a narrow circle. There were only family members, but I was satisfyed with it. I anyway was interested only in Katherine.
Soon we expected our first child, and I was going to buy a house. Unfortunately, we presumed to ourselves the smallest houses in Gary but since I wanted to have only 2 children, I believed, that there will be enough place. We have combined together my savings and money of Kate's stepfather and have brought 1st payment for the house on Jackson street, and then we bought at one time, everything that was first of all necessary for us: a refrigerator, a kitchen - range and a bed.
Katherine constantly wanted to prepare for me for my favourite foods. She was a good cooker and all the time tried to learn something new. The meat that she cooked was mealted in my mouth, and all foolds were seasoned. When I came from work in the evening, the meal already waited for me on a table. Kate filled my plate, put it on a clean cloth, and herself again went to the kitchen- range, because wanted to see if I like it.
" Kate, come, sit down", I asked her.
" Everything is all right, Joe. I better stay here", she answered.
I had to persuade her for long before she finally has sat down near the table to eat something too. She really was very shy. But I will tell to you, that in some years she became, indoubtedly, the best cook in the city. There's no restorunt in the world where I could eat the way at home with Katherine. And she keeps the house in perfect order. She never forgets nothing. I am so proud of my wife.
When Kathrine gave birth to our first-born, she suffered during 2 long, painful nights, and the doctor, my aunt and mum helped her during labor. (In past in Southern states blacks were not taken to hospitals.) I waited outside and continually peeped in a window. Our first child, the girl at last was born. I was awfully happy and proud, at first time I've become a father.
First I wanted a boy, but Maureen which we have nicknamed Rebbie later appeared such outstanding personality, that I at once have fallen in love with her. She was rather temperamental for such a baby. She shouted so loudly, that it was audible in all the house! At the same time my daughter has helped me to realize all degree of my responsibility. I have decided to get at my factory, work with the greater salary that I could take care of her and Katherine.
In the meantime we evetually prepared for hunting. Both I and my 2 stepbrothers looked forward to it with impatience for some months. I drove from Gary to Arkansas, we have spent the night there in the open-air. The next morning we have wore boots, collected equipment and went to the road. I still never came so far into a wood, but my stepbrother was expiriensed. We suited a halt near the wide river. There was a boat here, it belonged to the friend of my brother.
" Know what? Let's put our fishing tackles here, and go float a little downwards on the river. When we will return, we already will have fish ", he has suggested. I have unpacked fishing tackles and have been compelled to ascertain, that we have forgotten the most important - a bait. But my stepbrother has found a way out. " Listen, Joe ", he has said, " take a gun and hit a bird. We then have taken meat for the fish. I by a boat will come up on the middle of the river. And you will shoot a bird on that tree on the coast and when it will fall in water, I will take it ".
My favourite stepbrother has come in a boat. When he reached up to the middle, he has shouted: " you see a bird there on a tree? "
"Of course", I have answered.
My younger stepbrother has remained on coast below on current, the boat was to the left of me. The bird chirped on a fur-tree on the right. I have aimed at heart and have pressed on the trigger. Boom!!
The bullet has passed through a bird and with a an indistinct crash has jumped aside from a tree trunk. " Aaw, I am wounded! ", my stepbrother has cried.
All occured as in slow-motion shot. I saw as my best friend have fallen down in the river, and could not believe my eyes. I have jumped in water and though he was much more bigger and heavyer than me, I was so is excited, in my blood there was so much of an adrenaline, that it was possible to me with the brother on hands to get out on coast. There I have cautiously put him on a grass.
He was wounded in a head. The splinter of a bullet has hit him in an eye. My knees shivered from fear and exitment when we carried him to the car. His blood has filled my shirt, and he shouted all the time, as if he is just about to die.
In hospital I have explained to sisters and doctors, that I on imprudence have wounded my brother, but they have not wanted to help him (Such things happened in 40s if you were black). On the contrary, they wanted to get rid of us as soon as possible, and it became clear to me that insisting will not help it . They don't give a damn, how hard my brother is wounded, they will not accept him.
I had to come up with something else before he would loose his blood. Than I remembered about one rich white lady that lived not far away from the hospital( remember about the doughter of the planter?). She was related to my mother and knew our family for a long time though till now did not recognize, that she is related to the blackes.
But she was my last hope. I have quickly exchanged shirts with my younger stepbrother, have jumped in the car and in clouds of a dust have dashed away from the hospital parking. Before the gate to the house of the old lady I have stopped, have run up to a door and have rang the doorbell. It seemed me eternity before she opened. Hurrying up, I have told her the whole story. She has silently listened. "Let's go" she said then. I immideatly open the door in front of her when she leaning on a stick, toddled to my car.
When she saw my brother on a dirty parking before an accident ward, she, highly lifted her head, together with me has marched directly to the hospital. She knew all employees on names, they were her neighbours, and she has declared them, that they have to accept my stepbrother, because he is from her family. " And Joe is my nephew ", she has told.
Doctors at once became much more friendly and more attentive, and promised to make everything, they can.
While the doctor cared of my brother and sewed up a wound, he explained to me, that it is impossible to rescue his eye. " But we can make him an eye of glass, such eye even will move, if he will turn his head ", he has told, probably to encourage me.
3 week later they have inserted a glass eye. Since muscles of the eye have been damaged, it half hanged down downwards, and it was visible that it not real. Looked nevertheless better, than an empty eye-socket.
My stepfather and mother of my stepbrother were in fury because I caused this misfortune and though I have paid all hospital accounts, they behaved as if it was not accident, and I intentionally have made it. Despite of all this, I wanted to keep taking care of my stepbrother, eventually he was my friend. And I communicted everyday with his girfriend, she was the sister of my wife. Nevertheless our relationship have gone wrong. We did not quarrel, but also were not as close as before.
Then he married the sister of my wife and became my brother-in-law. I hoped, that it will change something, I in fact have made everything to help him. I even have paid very expensive glass eye, and have apologized too. But all this has not helped.
Kate was again pregnant. Ours 2d child had to be born in a hospital and when Kate's labour have begun, I had to make a hard decision. If I will take a full day off with no payment, I will not have enough money for the mortgage, diapers, medicines for Kate and children. Therefore I have gone to work, and instead of myself sent my mum and sister to the hospital.
In the first break I have run there and with simplification have have found out, that the second labour was not so heavy and didn't last so long. The kid, our first boy, was healthy and was born just in birthday of my wife.
I have gone to hospital right after the shift. We have named the child Sigmund Esco. Pops which later came from Oakland to visit us, named him simply "Jackson boy ", and from this eventually it turned to получилось Jackie. I finally had a son that I always dreamed of, and now, on my representations our family was perfect. "We have boy and the girl, now we are a true family ", I told Katherine.
But it was less than a year when my wife became pregnant again. And what else could you expect from a man like me? We had a boy again At us the boy, Toriano which we have later nicknamed Tito.
But now I really had to earn money, because we needed much more milk and vegetables. And also I have followed the lead of my parents and began to give out daily to children one spoon of cod-liver oil. They were making such faces that we couldn't not to lough.
On the steel factory they finally made me a crane operator. I liked the work and I tried to do it as better as possible, but conditions remained heavy because people constantly were fired, and I too very much was afraid of firing.
I all time searched for collateral earnings, in fact I had to feed the family. Due to this circumstance I have understood, that I am obliged to enable children to receive appropriate education so that in the future they wouldn't have to work as hard as me.
Since I still believed, that I can succseed in show business, I sang each free minute and practised in play on a guitar. When I sat in the crane, I composed songs because I wanted to create a quartet. Sometimes I got so tired, that almost fell asleep during work, but the desire to get on stage someday helped me to not fall asleep.
Singing was easy for me, father has tought me this when I was still a boy, but to play the instrument was not so easy. Fortunately, the longer we practiced, the better our group which we have named " The Falcons " has become. In couple of months we for the first time performed on a party and after that the group was liked so much that we got invited to play on all holidays in Gary. Besides we now could earn some dollars, acting in night clubs.
About this time I have written a song " Tutti Frutti ". Soon after that Little Richard has written the well-known hit with the same name (Certainly, I could now claim that has stoled it from me but I will not do it because in this time we've became good friends. Besides he has a golden heart and he helps other artists with what he only can).
After a while Katherine waited for a child again. Her attending physician tried to persuade her to do an abortion, but for us it has been excluded, for us the family had very big value. So another baby came to world, when I still worked at nigh shift. " Joe , you have a boy again! ", my chief has shouted to me.
I was delighted and immideately ran to the hospital. Mother and the child felt well. Jermaine LaJuane laid on Katherine's hands and swung the tiny cams. " Wow! ", I was surprised, "strong as small "King - kong ". But I should admit, that after birth of Jermaine I should work as possessed to feed the family which became bigger. Thank God, the health did not let me down and I've never been serously sick. Some my colleagues have died on this heavy work of a cancer and other illnesses.
Once Jermaine has felt very much bad, and we had to take him to the hospital. The doctor has told, that he had a nefritis. Katherine and I had no the slightest representation, of what is it and he has explained, that it is illness of kidneys, and fortunately, with babies it in many cases possible to cure. until he recovers our little Jermaine had to stay in the hospital. We visited him as frequently as we could. He always waited for us with impatience and when we had to leave, he cried so plaintively, that sisters did not want us to go away. He jumped on the bed up and down, wanted, us to take him with us. He tried to get out from there, swung handys, shouted and cried.
I tried to not let him to notice, how I suffer because of his sufferings, but hardly we entered into the elevator, my tears started to flow. Ihad to go to work and could not be with him constantly. I remembered all the time the way he crying, stands on the beddy... My only wish was, he recover as soon as possible .

Jermaine has stayed in hospital near 3 weeks. The situation was very serious. The majority of children has defect after the nefritis and when we finally were allowed to take Jermane home, we had to watch, he had more rest and drink to wash out his kidneys. Some weeks have passed before he has completely recovered and again could play with the brothers and the sister. He didn't have any complications after the illness and that was a huge joy for me and Katherine.
Now we had a temperamental girl and three restless boys. Rebbie and Jackie have took dance lessons. Though she was only 5 Rebbie had a promising talent and she has won several competitions.
We lived nearby the baseball field, and I frequently observed, how neighbour's guys train there. When my sons became enough adult to hold a bat, not overturning, I have brought them there. That's how Jackie, Tito and Jermaine have entered in " Katz Kittens ", a team which was sponsored by mayor.

user_offline.gif

It's clear here that Joseph loved Katherine....and the two of them were a regular baby factory! LOL!!

Katherine has said that she loved having children.. Infact that she said it was never THAT painful for her, she enjoyed the experiance.. lol!

that is ONE strong woman.. :lol:

Yes, and he loved his children too and was very hands on with them,:)

My dad is also from the south. I'm tellin ya, corporal punishment was the only thing they knew about back then. And they still practice it today. Not that it's the right thing to do...you just have to understand, that was and is the way some parents parent. I put my daughter in Time Out myself.....I wouldn't ever spank her....I felt horrible if I felt that I needed to....I bet Joe really didn't want to, but that he was expected to. I also believe that Joe fiercely loved and is proud of all of his family.

My dad is also from the south. I'm tellin ya, corporal punishment was the only thing they knew about back then. And they still practice it today. Not that it's the right thing to do...you just have to understand, that was and is the way some parents parent. I put my daughter in Time Out myself.....I wouldn't ever spank her....I felt horrible if I felt that I needed to....I bet Joe really didn't want to, but that he was expected to. I also believe that Joe fiercely loved and is proud of all of his family.
Yes, Linda. I was born in jamaica, and if your parents didn't 'beat' you, the neighbours would complain that you were being spoilt. Of course those were the days when neighbours did correct children and would even adminster corporal punishment themselves, without permission from your parents. On a number of occasions my mother was told that I needed a spanking because I was too precocious. That is what it was in those days. Teachers were doing it, head teachers had a cane in the office for the naughtiest children, When I came to England, kids were still getting the 'slipper' in school. I was just how it was in those days and still is in certain surroundings.:)

The book is 38 chapters long. It is very intersting so can you tell me if you want me to upload it, cause I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Chapter 8

The Beginning

Jermaine and Tito were already adult enough to play baseball. Jackie which was more senior than them, scored uncountable home runs - he was an incredibly talented sportsman. I was so proud of him. And the both juniors caught all the balls that he threw. These three were the best players in the team. Approximately at that time I also have learned, that not only Rebbie, but also our sons are able to sing and dance well.
Soon Katherine has given birth to one more girl. She weighed more than 12 pounds, our biggest newborn. Her hair cast red, and the face looked somehow Asian. Probably, the blood of our American Indian ancestors has showed up. Anyway, we have named her La Toya because it sounded a little on the East way. As a baby she did not demand special care, as well as Rebbie. She was the quiet child, slept a lot and shouted only if she wanted to eat. Unfortunately, I could not devote to her as much time as I wanted, because I was warking day and night.
La Toya was a shy girl. The older she became, the more shy she had become. She willingly was with Katherine - constantly clinged to a mother's skirt. Though she also played with the brothers and sisters, she disappeared, as soon as some stranger came to visit us.
Our family in the meantime totaled already 7 people and when Katherine again was going to give birth in hospital, I have again decided to go for work instead of accompanying with her. And that's how I have missed the birth of our only twins.
Since my father had a twin sister, the same as Katherine's mother; Martha, it is no wonder, that Katherine too has become pregnant at once with two, but I nevertheless have been concerned, when there has come the time of labour: Marlon David was born the first, and everything seemed normal, but Brandon has turned over in the belly and has got stuck in the birth ways. Katherine was too exhausted and tired to protest, when the doctor pulled out his nipper. Марлон was strong, he loudly shouted, and Brandon only silently sobred, when was born at last . Already after a pair of hours he has died. I was deeply afflicted with his death, I even today do not like to speak about it.
But I was grateful, that Marlon have stayed alive. He was not the same as our other children and when he was little, frequently had played alone. With the time he has opened up and was happy to see, how good he and his brothers and sisters understand each other.
Then Michael Joseph has come to world. The name "Michael" was chosen by Katherine, and we named him Joseph in my honour. His long thin hands always reminded my father to Katherine. When Michael was small, he slept a lot, but as soon as he woke up, he shouted so lound, that it was audible in all the quarter. Already then it was clear, that at he had a strong voice!
Michael constantly did something stupid. You couldn't take your eyes off of him for a second; he dissappeared and than was found under the table or a bed. We have been busy up to here, looking after him.
Rebbie became to be our nanny and took care of the younger brothers. In the afternoon she went to school, and was engaged with the kids, when Kate which got a part-time job in a department store, left for work in the evening.
Rebbie made food and did the laudery. If we wouldn't have her we probably wouldn't cope with everything. She looked after children and covered rears to me and Katherine so we could earn money.
When Michael has grown up, it turned out, that he did not liked sport as much as his brothers. Most of all he liked to go to a zoo, he simply squealed of joy, observing the animals. Also he liked to watch different shows on TV, and then repeated what artists did. Already in 5 years he arranged small representations. His face shined for pleasure when neighbour's children watched his solo performances in our garden and gave him ovations.
I have kind of early noticed, that Michael can become a good artist if they'll work on him as needed. Generally he was a good boy and did not cause any problems.

We sang a lot in our house, mostley the popular then songs in blues style, such as " Mustang Sally ". Katherine and I liked to sing with children, she also played on the piano and sometimes on a clarnet. I too could play some songs on my guitar, and each free minute we put on the R&B vynils of such singers as Little Richard, Chi-lites, Chuck Berry, The Temptations, Aretha Franklin, Fats Domino, Joe Tex, Big Maybell, The Impressions and Major Lance.
To place so many children in the house where there were only 2 bedrooms, was uneasy. Despite of it, Kate managed to keep the hou it was possible to keep the house clean and in order. She was very much organized and has placed everything so she'd have enough place. In the morning she was tiding up, and about the midday already started to prepare everything for a supper. Her firm chicken dishes were on the kitchen -ringe the whole day and when I came from work in the evening, meat was such fragrant and gentle, that it fell off the bones. We could not afford ourselves to go somewhere to a restaurant , but we were together and it was the most important.
In 1962 we have our rehearsals have from a Jackie, Tito and Jermaine. Once, when I was at work, tito have pulled out my guitar from the case and played on it all day. In the evening an irreparable thing happened .
" Daddie....... I... uum...well..... I have torn a string, but I have already pulled a new one ", Tito have admitted to me.
" What did you do? ", I calmly asked him.
Tito has looked at me mistrustfully. He thought, that I now will become angry.
" Well then show me, what you can ", I have said. I hardly could hide the pleasure. And he really could play. He has learnt the blues songs which I always played on the guitar. the same as me he played by ear. I have not shown Tito right away how much I am proud of him, but in couple of days I have come home and have brought him a gift: a new red guitar! I have bought it for the salary from my second job at the factory of canned food "American Foundaries" because I have considered, that such talent needs to be supported.
Than, our life wasn't easy and I could not buy a guitar to all of my boys, that's why I showed the chords and other techniques on my instrument. I secretly hoped that once they will have their own band and they will make music.
All my boys were talented in many areas. Jackie could become the first class sportsman, and Tito had skills to repair anything you like. When he still was a boy he could disassamble our kitchen clock and assable it again. He knew how to address with mechanisms. Changed oil in my car, established new headlights, anything you wanted. But Tito loved music most off all, therefore I have decided to help him to develop his musical talent.
Marlon and Michael in the beginning were too little for the rehearsals (and Randy was not even born yet). But I watched that they look, how we rehearse, they had to know, what are we talking about so they could participate later.
I was engaged with my sons for 3 hours per day, accompanied them on a guitar, showed, how they have to stand on stage, and encouraged them, to think out turns and other movements.
Each cent that I could save, I put in music education of the boys. It made angry my young and beautiful wife, that I too could understand, in fact she never could afford nothing personally to herself. But I wanted to do everything I could for the children, in fact I saw and felt, how gifted they were. The more we rehearsed, the better, they became and I knew, that all my diligence will be rewarded - my children can become famous. And I was right. In 3 years they performed in clubs, and by the end of 60, earned so much that I could quit work.
We have accepted Michael to the group when him was a little less than 5. He was then such a little guy. First he played on banjo. He selflessly clapped on the drums and he was on seven heaven of joy.
Once my mother saw our rehearsal in a drawing room and heard Michael's voice. Other boys tried to prevent him from singing, they thought, that he still too small. " Leave him alone, let him sing ", mother has told.
The rests certainly would not like it, but mum has explained to them, that he has a beautiful voice, and I have decided to make him a singer, instead of to leaving him on a background to play banjo.
Later I had an idea - so he would try to dance to my James Brown records. For hours I have worked with the kid on each movement, and have induced him to study step. He started to watch movies and shows with the best stepdancers of my time, and most of all he liked the graceful style and smooth movements of Fred Astair.
He started to imitateite him, and even today if you look closer, it is possible to see ithe step influence on his dancing style.
The group in the meantime has consisted from my 5 senior sons, and we have named it "Jackson 5". The Temptations were at that time ver famous, and we have studied some of their songs. At the same time I observed, what happens on the music stage, to keep abreast with what happens, and to tell my children, whose manager I now became, about all newest tendencies.
Many musicians that performed than in Indiana, very talented by nature, but even the most talented child needs to be advanced. It is parents duty - to help children as it is possible to open their talent more; they have to spend time with children as much as possible.
And I wanted, Jackson 5 to be the best, therefore I persistently worked with my children. Of course, they tried to shirk whenever possible, It also did not hide form them, that their school friends have time for games after school while we constantly had to rehearse. Also it was not pleasant to them, that they can be only in our garden, but Kate and I were not going to allow them walk the streets, especially after one of neighbour's children got strucked with a knife near school. We looked after our boys and did not let them out from the house after approach of darkness. Besides that I had an opportunity to observe them and work with them better.
Kate did everything she could to make it up to the children for that they are limited to be only in the house and the garden. Almost every evening we played together in scrubble or cards, and she always managed to transform such evening into an excellent family entertainment.
The humour also played the big role in our life. All my children like to joke, they got it from me. There was always a lot of noise on Halloween when I put on a mask and frightened them. But everything ended with a loud laughter because my children, certainly, were not afraid of me really.
Sometimes we suited a vacation to Wisconsin Dells. I had a trailer with a rag roof, and we arranged a camping near to American Indian reservation. We have fished, sang and communicated with living there Iroqueses. Children liked it there so much that they didn't want to leave.
We all remember that carefree time with pleasure when our house has been filled with laughter and music. Many neighbours envied our harmonious home life, there's nothing can be done about it.
In the 90s on ABC channel, there was a mini-series about our family, in which everything was presented in the deformed way. Everything have been shown incorrectly. For example, Michael has never in his life, played in Gary with the mouse. My wife was afraid of mice and would not suffer them in the house. Besides everyone knows, that the mouse will never sit calmly in the kitchen if the child shines on it with a small flshlight. And that I have ostensibly killed it!
Jermaine and Katherine all the time explained to the producers of a series, that I did not rush constantly with shouts in the house and that I did not behave as the raged monster, but people who wrote the script, wanted a villain, they adhered to the point of view, that it will raise quotas. Besides our life in Gary has actually consisted of heavy work, love and laughter. And it does not approach in the Hollywood concept - positively to represent black families; they prefer to use a cliche - black, inclined to violence.
Actually we were a happy family, and it s in a huge degree a merit of my wife. Katherine then saved everywhere where she could, she dreamed to attach one more room. We had by then so much children, that the house went to pieces.
I had other plans. I wanted to buy to children new guitars, microphones and amplifiers. Katherine was against it. We desperately quarreled, and it was very bad for me because I had a feeling, that she does not understand my promptings and does not want to support me. We never quarreled before, but now she did not share my hopes for big success of Jackson 5.
For a couple of weeks the atmosphere between us was intense, and then I had an idea. In the evening in bed I have asked Kstherine if she'll agree to give the money that she saved for the repair at home, and to invest them in the future of children. For that I promised to buy her someday a greater house, maybe, even in California. Katherine has hesitated and has agreed, and at last I could buy the new equipment for the group. My treasured desire was, that my investments were paid back also I could constrain the promise given to Katherine. Fortunately, after our night conversation Katherine did not oppose any more to my plans, and supported me in everything.
Earlier I had to rise in the five and a half in the morning to go to work. One day, it was raining all the night long, and it was so cold, that the street on which I drove on to the steel factory on the Pholkswagen, has completely froze over. Suddenly I was cut with other car and though I still could evade from it, I was carried away. I braked as much as I could, but trunks did not stay on the smooth asphalt, and I could not prevent, my Pholkswagen from going to autorefuelling. With a loud crash it has stopped at one of columns. Impact was so strong, that I have hit the chin with a rudder and have for a short while lost consciousness. When I have come to the senses, and tryed to concentrate without understanding anything, A caustic smell of gasoline have strucked me in the nose. The motor of my car still worked. In a panic I have tried to open the door, but it have jammed, then I have crept back and have jumped out of the car.
I was rescued in a last second, right after that there was an awful explosion, and there where there was a refuelling before, a fiery sphere rose up to the sky .
It was the only time when I was late for work. My colleagues could not believe, that I have gone through such a failure. I was just lucky.

user_offline.gif

Chapter 9.

Show Of Talents

Of course, I had to watch that my sons developed their musical talent, but I also wanted, them to became good baseball players. Therefore I watched all their games.
Once there was an important match. Jermaine played outfield, the Jackie was a pitcher. We knew, that we can win, in fact Jackie was the best pitcher in all the city. He threw so precisely and skilfully, that he could win alone.
The boy senior than him beated off. Jackie has examined him, lifted and has stopped. That boy could not beat off. Jackie has looked back on Jermaine, and convinced, that he has taken his position and threw. This time the boy only slightly touched the ball, and he has jumped up highly in air. A mistake! From third attempt he has hit it. Jermaine together with other player has run, but just when he was pulled to catch the ball, both boys have collided heads. Both of them have fallen down without feelings, Jermaine had a bleeding wound on the forehead, directley above an eye. Other player too has suffered. I have rushed there and have helped both to get up. Than has called first aid and has gone with them to hospital.
I observed, how the doctor sewed up Jermaine's wound above the eye, he has imposed 14 seams and when I have seen my son in such pitiable condition, I have made the decision.
" No more baseball when you recover! ", I have declared to him.
The same I told Jackie. They could not do both things at the same time. Baseball was too dangerous, and if one of my boys would seriously be wounded, he risked the career of the musician. Jackie have been suppressed, because he already imagined himself a famous sportsman, he was offended by my decision. But he was still too young, and I doubt, that he actually could understand the whole importance of my decision. I would support the sport talent of my sons with pleasure, but health of my children to me was most expensive. Accident with Jermaine was a warning for me, and I would reproach myself all my life if I have ignored him and something bad would happened with someone of my sons.
So I as a navigator who notices that the floating is not in the right direction, I have adjusted my compass all over again and have concentrated on scenic career of my children. We rehearsed more, than ever, and I am softly, but categorically promoted that they worked on themselves every day.
I was confident, that I do the right thing. they were very active guys and if their energy has not been directed to the correct purpose, they for certain would join a gang or would communicate with drugs, as many children in Gary. Besides I by any cost wanted to prevent, them from earning for life by collecting of cotton or a potato in future. I wanted to give them a chance to use the talent productively and to receive pleasure from work.
Winters in Gary frequently were very cold, but we continued rehearsals. Some groups rehearsed singing and dances separately, but I had a better idea. Jackson 5 should train everything simultaneously so that during singing to not get off the breath if they will have to do a difficult dancing movements. They studied correctly to breathe during dance so the pressure did not influence their voices.
Many people tried to attribute to themselves, that they have learned my sons to dance, but each of my children had his own style long before the choreographers have started to work with them. On our rehearsals boys experemented with various movements and gestures while I played on a guitar. I told them about all fashionable styles, about everything, that they had to know, and we corrected steps in fron of mirror. I was strict in everything concerning the schedule of rehearsals, but they also could rain at any time separately. I never prevented their creativity, on the contrary, the opposite I tried to support it. Jermaine played on a bass, and Tito on a guitar, the responsibility for musical support had laid on them. They had to take care, that people will feel our music that it would carrey them away. Jackie, Marlon and Michael as dancers were responsible for visual representation of the group, and the success of the five depended on how they held themselves on stage.
Michael has talent for dances by nature. If he saw a combination of movements, he could repeat it at once. But it was clear to me, that in the middle 60s it is not enough for an unknown black child from Gary just to be only talented. Therefore I accustomed Michael to constantly improve his singing, in fact he could achieve a lot. He, fortunately, has followed my advice. Certainly, it was difficult for him, but the true success can be achieved, only if you constantly work on yourself.
I repeted to my boys again and again, that they have to be able to draw public attention. For me it meant, that they have to create a good mood, for the viewers only that way the viewer really can feel the music.
As many children at their age, my boys at first complained, that because of rehearsals they constantly have to be home - they with much more pleasure would play in the street with neighbour's children. I had an other point of view, it was important for me, that they studied to sing in a number of voices. My wife supported me in it as muc as she could. Frequently she asked:
" You have already learnt the set? Can you hold this sound when you sing together? "
We were engaged with our children daily so they inevitably had to become better and better. If I was not, with them they practised with Kate. In our family we always supported each other.
Sometimes neighbour's children peeked to our rehearsals in a drawing room, even flattened the noses in our wndows, and it was very unpleasant to my children, because they shouted: " They do not let you out! No luck, no luck, parents do not let out, you are locked up! "
It was a pity to me of my sons. Because of my work I knew, how the envy and jealousy of others can be awful, and I have noticed, that it very much touches them. But I could explain to them, that it should not distract them.
Certainly, I was strict with them, it was necessary, if we wanted to achieve something, in fact the deal was about 5(and later 6) extremely mobile and healthy boys. But as I acted consistently, they learnt well and never forgot what they learnt. It was especially important, that they later during an intense tour in perfection remembered each detail of their performance.
Within several years all money and time, that I have enclosed in Jackson 5, were paid back. They knew by heart each turn, gesture and tone. In summer months I have moved rehearsals from a house to a garden. Neighbours heard our music and enthusiastically aplloused. As envy can quickly turn to respect! My boys have felt confidence of their forces and the first whiff of glory, in fact neighbours now admired them. It pleased me very much .
In 1965 my boys finally were ready: I could rely that they will show an excellent performance.
And when I have heard about competition of talents at the Roosvelt High school, I have written them down. When Katherine was a schoolgirl, she learnt to sew, she has sewed them smart suits for the performance, and with the new expensive equipment which I have bought, guys looked like true professionals.
Before they got on stage, the atmosphere was rather intense. People already heard about us but when they have seen, how small my boys still were - Michael was only 6 - they did not know, how to treat us. " And these children will sing? ", they were whispered among themselves.
Jackson 5 performed the latest last hits of the "The Temptations ": My girl " and " Get ready " which were sang by Jermaine. The last James Brown's song: "I feel good" was sung by Michael, with his famous " Baby, Baby, Baby ". Before last note has ceased, he has removed his banjos, jumped out on the middle of a stage and started to dance. When he jumped in air as James Brown, all children in the audience have enthusiastically cried. As I also hoped, Jackson 5 have subdued the hearts of their listeners.
Than they announced the winners: "The Jackson 5". All of us were on 7 heaven. For me it was a significant day. It has proved me, that if you work a lot, a dream can become reality.
The following stage was a competition with the finalists from other schools. It has taken place on Gilroy Stadium. Then there were not much Afroamercians on high posts, therefore all young blackes aspired to become artists or sportsmen, and on such shows of talents there came many very good singers, as for example Deniece Williams which sang later such hits as "Silly", " Lets hear it for the boys " and " Black butterfly ".
But, as I have already told, my boys have been superb prepared, so we could not to be afraid of a competition. Certainly, Jackson 5 have again won. Than other competitions which we too have won, have followed. In due course it became clear, that nobody else could win, if Jackson 5 took part.
I rehearsed with them before each performance. When we have collected all prizes in Indiana, I have gone with guys to Illinois. There they too have won. The number of our fans grew, they have written in newspapers about us and published our photo. everybody talked about Jackson 5.
We did not stop to work. Children quickly forget if they make pauses for too long. And I did not want it. Besides they were pleased, when they performed in front of new public. When I stood behind the scenes and looked from behind the curtain, I had tears falling down on my cheeks when the audience shouted "Bravo!"
My children only smiled, if they noticed it - they knew, that they have made me the happiest.
My diligence were paid back. we still had a long way a head of us, and we had to cope difficulties, but I have decided to make world famous stars out of my children.
For me, with such a big family, it was the only opportunity, in fact then blacks still did not receive any grants to have an opportunity to get to university or college. Also there was not so many examples for imitation, first of all in this business. And there was no boy bands in general. Today everything is much easier. Groups such as Nsync and Backstreet boys make the big success not only in Germany but then we went on an unbeaten path.
From 1965 to 1968 me and the group almost each weekend were on the road. Competitions of talents, it is certainly good and fine, but I wanted, my children to receive money for performances, therefore I started to make them to sing in small clubs in Chicago. Partly it were poor snack bars but then for the black artist, it very frequently was an only opportunity to perform. We did not want to worry Katherine, therefore we did not tell her, that it were clubs with a striptease. It's just that that was the show-busissness back than in the part of America. At that time we also did not presume to stop in 5 star hotels, but I always cared of that children have been fed, and encouraged them with jokes.
Once me with boys had to do a long way to Arizona, not without stopping for a break to sleep. The group had performance on surburb of the Phoenix and after that we at once have gone home. I was free only on the days off, and only thus we could overcome this long road. I in fact did not want, that guys missed school. For me also mattered, that they seriously treated the performances in Arizona and other places, such as Kansas City because there they could address to the mixed public, that then was a rarity.
In vicinities of our city they had a lot of black admirers, but I would like, that they acted both before black, and before white, Mexicans and Indians. Today it is self-evident, that public will consist of people of all races and cultures, but in the beginning 60s the fact that my boys united a lot of nations in one audience, seemed extremely unusual.
When we have returned from Arizona, I was aimed at the biggest competition of amateurs in the world. Jackson 5 could sing the old songs becoming classics, and the newest hits, even both country and western, and their choreography was perfect. In this show in Harlem's Apollo Theater in New York we had to perform 3 songs.
When I was a child I dreamed to get in Apollo. Apollo was soul and heart of Harlem, in 30s and 40s of 20eth centurie it represented its culture and pride. Such artists as the singer Lena Horn and stepdancer Bo Jangles, have made it immortal, and numerous stars have begun there their career.
When I was the manager of Jackson 5, it meant, if you will be a success of critically adjusted audience in Apollo, you will be a success everywhere. If in Apollo you sang out of tune the audience threw at you bottles and banks from under beer. It disturbed me. But in fact we many years continuously trained, and I didn't believe, that with my children can happen such a thing. No, it cannot be. They were ready to appear in fron of Appollo's audience.
Before going out on stage there was a piece of a tree which all artists touched "for luck" before the performance. And my boys did not become an exception. But they did not need no "luck". Fans squealed and jumped out on a stage, it was necessary even to evacuate the group in a safe place. The audience raged! And I was convinced, that now my sons can perform worldwide. After a victory in Apollo nothing could take away their confidence. They liked to work together, and all of them felt even more, that they are Jackson 5.
In Chicago I have got acquainted with a dude by name Baby James, the promoter who knew many people of show business in New York. He heard, that my boys won all competitions, therefore he has got into a contact with me and has persuaded me, to take the group to one agent to New York which worked on Universal Attractions. Every time when this agentcy arranged a show with artists from Motown, they invited us too, and each weekends and in a school breaks I planned performances.
In the summer 1968 I have gone with boys to Regal Theatre in Chicago, they shad to participate in show of talents next day. That evening in the program were "Gladys Knight and the Pips". I have left my sons with relatives and have gone to theatre to write down the group. I was familiar with Pips from back when I worked with "The Falcons", and Ubba, William and David knew, that I dodn't do that already for a long time, but they did not know, that I am now the manager of the sons. I have promised to guys to present them later. Then I have agreed with director of theatre upon performance of Jackson 5 tomorrow.
Late at night I have presented them to Gladis and to my old friends The Pips. They trambled down on one place, with emmbaressment, played with the brown packages with the lunch which Katherine has given them, and Gladis has invited them to wait for the beginning of the performance in her dressing room. Michael was still so little, that his feet did not get to a floor when he sat on a sofa.
" I heard, you sing ", Gladis has told.
" Yes, we sing ", Michael timidly has answered.
" You always wanted to be engaged in it? ", she has asked.
All my sons have noded.
I have taken advantage of the moment and have asked Gladis, whether she and the Pips will persuade somebody from Motown to watch our performance. She has answered, that will watch, that it is possible to make.
Then boys have passed on a stage for rehearsal. I observed gladis from the side as she widely opened her eyes, looking at them. From admiration she hardly could breath, and begun to dance a little to the music. When boys have stopped, she has rushed to call to manager Taylor Cox in Motown and enthusiastically told to him about my children. He promised to take care of all but though she many times called and asked him to give Jackson 5 chance to sing, in Motown nobody reacted.
I myself knew, that my children have all the qualities of professionals. They understood how to light public. So I have agreed upon the following performances in Uptown Theatre in Philadelphia and in Howard Theatre in Washington, D.C. The prices for tickets have raised, and to my children were paid as muchpaid as much, as singers, whose hits were played on the radio.
Jackson 5 became more famous, besides they have written in a newspaper about our success in Apollo. And children who saw our performances at schools, have gone crazy about them. Therefore some artists did not want to perform after Jackson 5. In show business there is an old saying: " Never step onstage after animals and children ". And if we were in the program, everybody knew, that public has come to see only Jackson 5.

user_offline.gif

Chapter 10

Our First Recording

Already in 1966 children have rehearsed their dancing skills so perfectly, that they easily could breath between separate tunes. Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon were perfectly singing, and I taught Michael what to do with the breath during singing and how to use a microphone. On the weekends we went to Chicago where we performed in hotels of the city, we then accepted any offers. During one of such performances I have for the first time heard about a promising 20year-old guitarist by name Phil Upchurch. He was considered as the hottest sessional musician in all Chicago and has already worked with such celebrities, as Woody Herman, Stan Getz, Curtis Mayfield or Donny Hathoway. After I once have heard him play in the evening, I have immideately invited him to work, and he has agreed to arrive to Gary and to record with us our first demo.
Boys heard about Fill so much, and they have started to jump with joy, when I have told them that he will come with us to the studio. Michael has rushed to him the first second and has asked for the autograph. Fill then thought of my sons also, as well as the big recording companies with which I soon had to adjoin. He thought that Michael was a simply pretty little guy which in the future will choose a different job for himself . Despite of it he has been friendly adjusted and has written on a scrap of a paper his name, and Michael has received his first autograph. When in some years Fil's wife has remembered this story, Fill has written a lette to Michael's office. This time he asked the autograph from Michael, which Michael, certainly, has sent right away. Almost in 20 years after the first record they once again worked together: Fill played on " Workin day and night ", Michael's hit from an album " Off the wall ".
In 1967 I was happy, that I in general can allow myself to pay he rent of the studio and charges of the recording of the first demo of my group. When I held a ready tape in my hands, I knew, that our heavy work, our efforts have worth it. It has given me hope for the future of my children. Now I had to achieve only that any record companiy will hear the group and have enabled my sons to record their first album. I have transferred the tape to several people from Gary, and one friend has brought it to an independent company Steeltown.
Before there were more independent companies and they were better, than today because now the big enterprises supervise almost the whole market. Therefore in some cases for the unknown musician it was better, if it was produced by a small companie because there in him were engaged more and gave him more attention. Besides small labels are more often, than big, had representations in small towns.
In any case the principale of Steeltown has wanted to meet me at once after listening to the demo - record, and my friend has arranged, that director has come to our home. He wanted to produce a vynil with Jackson 5 and has offered me the contract. At that time contracts for recordings were signed in most cases for the term of from 7 till 10 years, and I have explained to him, that I do not want to connect myself more than for half-year (I still hoped for the contract with Motown), and he eventually has agreed, that was rather unusual.
Steeltown has written down 6 songs. 2 of them were released in 1968 on our first single: "I`m a big boy now", and on a underside "You`ve changed" (Motown has once again released this song which has been originally written down on Steeltown, later, on their first album). Michael was the soloist, the others sang on a back-vocal. "I`m a big boy now" was a hit in 5 states: Chicago, Indiana, Missouri, New York and Kansas. Due to this we became even more famous in the Mid-West and in New York. And when this song has appeared in the best top 20 of the Jet magazine , I have understood, that we were on the right way. Today the single "I`m a big boy now" is of great value for any collector.
Another song which has been written by Steeltown - " We don`t have to be 21 to fall in love", became the 2d single and was on sale only in Indiana, on the other side of "Jam session". And one more less known song of this period "I never had a girl ". The text was quite good, but the recording, on four rounds, was an awful quality. Today they record on 48 and more rounds!
We then played in many clubs, among them the night club in Gary called "Mr. Lucky". they paid not much but when Michael during his dancing numbers jumped out to the crowd, there was enough money in his pockets.
Earlier children received money from me if they made their beds every morning, or did other small works in the house. They could spend their money, as they wanted. Each Saturday morning Michael ran to a shop and bought huge amount of sweets. When I have for the first time found him behind it, I have asked myself, how does he plan to eat all of that alone. But in some minutes I have seen him in our garden, surrounded with neighbour's children, he handfuls distributed to them these sweets. No one of the candy has been eaten by him, and he was pleased, that other chldren like them! He was then so little, about 6, or may be 7 years, but he shined with joy, from the thought that he could make other people happy. And it is, in my opinion, an attribute of real great artist. Michael had the ability to entertain children and adults since his birth, and only father could see such things, in this rare hidden from others moments that show us what are our children really are. Michael liked to perform in fron tof our neighbours, and due to that he constantly improved his dancing art, he could become the world famous star and make happy many people. The realisation of that has allowed me to achieve my purpose even more persistently. I was inspired by my family.
I started to work with the principle of Steeltown, and we have arranged some performances for promotion, with them we have put in pawn a basis of our future success. Michael in the meantime has learned to use the whole territory of the stage for dances. For example, he danced almost at the edge, the viewers breath was taken away. After that children were literally sweeming in money that was thrown on stage, the record sales also have increased.
The princible of Steeltown from the very beginning had a high opinion of our family. Once he has told me, that Jackson 5 is a dream of any promoter because they quickly perceived everything what they were taught. And he held the opinion, that my boys worked more persistently, than any other group which he knew. Years later he recollected, that already at our first meeting he has noticed, how many attention I put in each detail and how carefully I prepared to everything. He said, that they were able to keep on a stage like no other.
There were some talented groups that begun simultaneously with my children, but they have not sustained, because nobody advanced them, did not support, and did not pay attention to the some unimportant at first sight details, like for example clothes. I especially watched, that my children have always been dressed as a stars. We never had extra money, but we came to this business creatively and used our imagination for creation of own style. Boys, as well as all musical groups, have been dressed similar, all of them carried bell-bottomed trousers, shirts and jackets which were unimportantly different in details. In other words: the basic motive was identical, but elements of design reflected style and the individuality of each one of guys, and were variations on one theme. And that was exactley what the public accsepted.
Though we had good relations with Steeltown, we continued our concerts that the number of our fans would grow and the records sales would increase and has achieved such scales, which to us were required to draw attention of Motown. One evening in Нью York I have returned after Jackson 5 concert to my room, and someone knocked at my door. I have opened and saw a shirt white man in a suite in front of me. He has explained, that his name is Richard Arons, and his father is a chairman of trade union of musicians in Нью York. He had put and idea that he has to become a lawyer of the group to his head.
"Joe, I by all means would like to represent these guys", He swore to me. I did not absolutely trusted him, therefore have not immideately agreed . "We'll see", I have answered.
Richard has followed me the whole next day. all next day was dragged for me on пятам. When in the evening I again was in my room, He has nailed down on his knees in front of me. "Please, please, allow me to become your lawyer. I can do a lot for Jackson 5".
After hastitating for some time, I have agreed: " Well all right, we will try ".
Our short-term contract with Steeltown soon expired, and because it was a small label, and I dreamed of the big future for my group, I started to search for a record companie which was capable of more.
So I have supplied our new lawyer with a marketing package which has consisted from Steeltown's Boy's hits, enthusiastic reviews and the promotional material, and have sent him to pass on some record companies. We have divided work and have bypassed a lot of companies - from Atlantic up to CBS, and from Warner up to Capitol, but all refused us (despite of these failures, Richard has remained our lawyer and with in several years has made a small fortune on us).
Certainly, I have taken care of that Motown has received our package. They have sent it back and have written to me, that they are not interested. I was surprised, how it was incredibly hard - to get a contract with a known label. The group performed together with many known artists, but record companies did not want us because they did not see a way to make money on children.
Nobody in the big record companies did not believe, that children can really sell records. Today everyone know, that exactley the youth spends the most money on compact discs but then nobody still has not revealed the purchasing capacity of teenagers, and I had to do a tiring explanatory work.
Though no children group never had an international succsess, I unshakably adhered to the plan. I trusted in unique talent of my sons and in spite of the fact that no record companie did not understand me, have strongly decided to make stars from Jackson 5 .
Then it was very uneasy to me, because I had to constantly convince everybody, that views are not just a dream of the proud father. I had to give them proofs, that their children's group or exactley the children's group can make hits. I continued to assert the dream irreconcilably.

user_offline.gif

Chapter 11

Years With Barry Gordy

I was not afraid of refusals and continued to go resolutely to my purpouse - to bring Jackson 5 to Motown for listening. We continued to rehearse and been with our concerts all over the country. At night when me and Katherine were alone, I told her, that someday our children will have so many fans, that Motown will not be able to ignore them anymore. But it is easy to tell. Never before a group of children was concurent to adult artists.
Obstacles were big, and it was absolutely not important, how talented my boys were. I had to explain Motown prinsiple Barry Gordy, that these children are capable to sell a record, and not only to other black children, but also to all the rest.
I wanted to make it in own way as it would be made by any of Jacksons - to be a little not like everybody. The guys also emphasized their individuality with the help of a youth fashion which was notable on a background of the classical suits of other groups. Soon I managed to agree upon performance on TV for Jackson 5. I was very grateful to David Frost that he has invited us. Earlier it was a rarity because the majority of leaders refused to invite blacks to their programs. For example, Johnny Carson did not want to see Stieve Wonder on his show, when Stieve was in the beginning of his career. Stieve did not forgive that for long time and when became a superstar, boycotted the Tonight show all the time, it was aired. Only when the show has ended and they have shown the last programm, they have burryed the axe of war.
Anyway, I have decided to take the boys on TV, therefore have told to our lawyer to wait for us in the studio.
Despite that I was highly worried because of the performance on TV, I could not forget what has told to me then Gledis Knight: " You just have to show this boys to Motown". "Gladis and the Pips"were the first with Motown who has seen us. Berry has thought up later to represent Jackson 5 as Diana Ross resource, but it was simply an advertising gimmick with the help of which he wanted to promote her.
And then I, there was suddenly a call from Bobby Taylor and he said, that we have to go to Detroit on listening in Motown.
I have told to nobody, what we are going to do, just pushed the children to the car and we have gone to Detroit to Barry Gordy instead of performing at David Frost as we have agreed. Listening has taken place in tiny sound recording studio of Motown, in Hitsville USA which was in a cellar of an old house of Barry on West Grand Boulevard. When Motown has moved to Hollywood later, Barry has kept this house and has made it a museum.
In the cool summer morning in July, 1968 my children sang for Susanne de Pass and some other people which Barry has collected there. He was not present, but has put a new camera so he could record everything. My boys have sung some of James Brown songs, " Ain`t too proud to beg " of the The Temptations and " I wish it would rain ". Tito has played a blues version of " Tobacco road ", and in the end there was " Who`s lovin` you".
When Jackson 5 have stopped, the viewers were amazed. They thought that we were magnificent. Susan has transferred the tape to Barry when he in the several days has returned from trip to California. If he only knew, how good was the group, he for sure personally would be present, but fortunately, the charm of my boys and Michael's fantastic dances made impression and on the tape too.
When we have returned to hotel, my lawyer has called and shouted on the phone: " Why you did not come to the studio? We waited for you so much! ".
" Listen, I will not go to New York no more, we are staying here", I have explained.
Motown had accepted us with an opened arms. Barry has invited us to the pool in his old house which he repaired, and there we were introdused to some stars of this record companie.
I had watched the development of Motown for a long time. Barry have constructed this companie from a zero. One of the first artists, that signed with a contract, with him was Smokey Robinson and his group The Miracles. They unsuccessfully tried to get a contract in other companies, but nobody wanted to have affairs with them . Barry has understood that Smokey is talented, and they have become friends. Soon after that Barry has borrowed money from his family and has based the record companie.
In the beginning he had only 5 employees and all of them worked for 24 hours a day. Musicians too had to work, and Smokey himself dispatched his records on radio stations and musical shops.
When Motown has signed the contract with The Supremes, long before us, Barry already had several fine song authors, such as Lamont Dozier and Brian and Eddy Holland. Lamont has written a song " Heat Wave " on a paper package from under a lunch, and it had a big success. In 60s and 70s in Motown worked the most talented black singers and song writers. Motown did a lot for its artists, and did the promotion in rather an aggressive style.
Because of that reason it was so important for me to go together with Jackson 5 in Motown because only so we could get in popular shows and the big concert halls. Therefore in 1969 we have signed with them the contract. But it was a year before they could record their first album in the studio.
later I cooperated with Barry very closely . It has been much told about him already, but I here is what I'll tell you: he had a purpose, and he knew, that he wanted. For example, he insisted on that his songwriters told small stories in their songs. The song had to have a beginning, a middle and an end, and he personally kept up with it. He constantly improved this concept that he has developed for Motown and took care of so it would transform from time to time.
Motown coped like a family. It was pleasant to me, the way Barry took care of the groups - he even accompanied with them on tours (though, may be only for because he did not want that they were enticed with other label).
When Jackson 5 went under protection of Barry, there were some world famous artists working on Motown. I would like here to thank Barry for everything that he has achieved together with Jackson 5 . He has helped us at the time when only few black artists got support from large record companies. And because of him we became the first children's group in the world that has sold 1 million records. Nobody thought it was possible, before.

user_offline.gif

Chapter 12.

Our Expirience With Motown

The producer our first Motown's album was Bobby Taylor. We liked his sound style "urban." Some of the album we produced in Detroit, and have completed the rest in Los Angeles.
Bobby also produced " Who's lovin' you ". I observed how they worked together in studio. Bobby has sung the song to Michael and has shown him what how he thinks it has to be. Michael has repeated after him, and that way it was recorded. When Michael still was very little he had a perfect pitch and memory like a recording machine.
With the back-vocal of other boys on a background the song has turned out simply fantastic. Later on it made covers - versions but by nobody else it sounded as good as by Jacksons.
In past the songs for Jackson 5 were written by a team under the name " The Corporation ". Sometimes Barry himself produced the songs for Corporation, but generally in the team there were Deke Richards, Freddie Perren, "Fonce" Mizell and Bobby Taylor. Fonce and Freddie cooperated especially close - if you met one of them, the other one always appeared nearby.
When the first album was ready and we played it for Barry, he almost lost his mind. He has come to a conclusion, that with these songs my group can subdue the white pop - market!
I too considered, that my boys have made everything that depaned on them for this album. Anyway, Berry was so amazed, that has arranged a party for us . Among visitors was Diana Ross which have invited us to her show.
In September Jackson 5 performed in Daisy Disco, a night club in Los Angeles, and there for the first time we were presented as Motown's artists. A month later Motown has released a song "I want you back" from the first album, on a single. It has rushed into charts as a rocket!

Steeltown was a small companie and had no system of selling all over the country, but Motown has delivered ours records to all musical shops in those cities where we already performed earlier. The number of the sold records promptly increased and th fame of Jackson 5 grew.
10 year old Michael was the junior, Jackie, the senior was 16. So you can imagine yourselves how carefully I had to watch that they decently behaved in the society. But faultlessly clean image was extremely important for our success.
Now it was important to pefom as much as possible to support the marketing of Motown. On October, 18, 1969 Jackson 5 for the first time perfomed on TV on the ABC channel in a show called "The Hollywood Palace" where Diana Ross and The Supremes have presented my boys to public. For the first time they sang " I want you back " live on TV.
At the end of November "I want you back" has appeared in Black Charts, and then became № 1 in Pop Charts. We have sold 2 million singles for 6 weeks! It has brought a heap of money, and Motown has expanded the advertising of the group to other countries. In couple of months as this song has taken 1 place in the USA, the single has appeared in the British market (on the B side there was "Who's lovin' you") and there it achieved the 1 place too. I so happy, that boys fans not only in America, but also in other countries.
On February, 24, 1970, "Авс" was released on a single and too became № 1. This time we have sold 2 million records in 2 weeks!
The third single, "The love you save" ("I found that girl " on the B-side), has followed in May and also has been sold in about 2 million copies.
Then we have again received an official offer to participate in Diana Ross Special in the hall Forum. To be presented by Diana Ross was extremely effective for Jackson 5, in the advertising relation, and simultaneously advanced her career as a solo performer. She has not yet left yet The Supremes, but already thought of it.
On June, 19, 1970 Jackson 5 performed together with Diana on her show in Forum, that was sold out up to the last ticket. She has never stood on a stage in front of that much people - more than 18 thousand fans, then it was considered as phenomenal success. It was magical, and I was pleased, when the fans welcomed guys with screams- I so was proud of them.
Motown has released "The third album", 3d Jackson 5 record. From this album the single "I`ll be there" has been released. When also this song has taken the 1 place, Jackson 5 became the first group from which 4 songs have taken 1 place in the raw.
"I`ll be there" has been sold in amount of 2,5 million only in 3 days. And at the end of September, 1970 Tamla/Motown Records has declared, that Jackson 5 have sold 10 million singles worldwide only in 9 months - the figure earlier considered unattainable. We have broken all records.
Now our sons were in the center of attention of the public for which I have prepared them. One concert followed another, and in breaks between them we were recording in the studio. It was great - to make such success, but I precisely knew, that we can earn even more if we will continue to work on ourselves. We could become popular not only in America, but also all over the world, and I will never have to think of strikes of trade unions on steel factory or about collateral earnings. And children will not need to worry about the future anymore.
We have bought ourselves a new Ford Kombi for taking boys to the concerts, and Motown lent us a new Lincoln Continental - though it there was the companie's car, we could use to it at any time.
Katherine and the rest of the children now had enough money to buy clothes and practically everything, that they wanted. And Jackie received a sports car a new Datsun 28OZ.
I also gave money to our relatives, bought them cars and furniture.
In October, 1970 Motown has has released the only christmas record ever made by the group - "The Jackson 5 Christmas album". The single released from it "Santa Claus is coming to town" have became a hit. Then "I`ll be there" has appeared on the British market and soon the Chriostmass record appeared there too. And we continued to perform all over the country.
The year 1971 was ever worse. Boys gave interviews to the magazines: Life, Rolling Stone, Cream and Ebony, and Motown has released 2 new Jackson 5 albums within a break of only 5 months. In the summer we have gone on tour in 40 cities of USA, and among other things we performed at a musical festival the Lake Michigan Summer Festival in fron of 80 thousand viewers. At the end of the year we had another tour in 50 American cities.
Our fan clubs constantly increased the number of the members, boys received awards, the sales grew. In September release of the "Congressional Record" Jackson 5 have been prestented as "a symbol of pride of black youth ", and they have received an award as the best vocal group of the year. Michael too has received some awards separately from the group, for example both his first Billboard awards: Top singles artist and Top singles male vokalist.
In 1972 Motown has recorded Jermaine's song " Daddy`s home" . It was sold in about a million copies. Then Michael's solo album "Ben" has been released.
While Motown was engaged in selling, I had a heap with the organization of meetings with TV, reporters, etc. Which frequently were very hard for joining with each other. In March 1973 there has appeared already 9th Motown's album, "Skywriter", and because of all these recordings in studios, tours, interviews for press and award ceremonies, no one of us could have a normal rest.
Even the quickly working with press connections department of Motown hardly carried out inquiries for photos and interviews with Jackson 5 - sometimes they were about several months old. La Toya began to write a column in a Teen magazine in which she told, what were her brothers doing. Besides the five of them have appeared almost in each number of Tiger Beat and Right On!
Fans have started to copy the fashionstyle of my sons. Everywhere children wore bell-bottomed trousers, waistcoats with a fringe and shirts with wide sleeves, and the "Afro" hairdress was the last shout of the fashion. Other groups copied the choreography and the sound of Jackson 5, and their "family groups" appeared like mushrooms after the rain.
Whatever Jackson 5 did they had a success. Their records were on sale in phenomenal circulations, and they became world famous. Their success was reflected on Motown which used the fact that they has signed the contract with excellent group.
From 1969 to 1972 I spent a lot of time together with my boys in a studio. Thus they were under strong pressure because in the majority of times thye were only told a day before , what songs will have to be recorded and this or that evening. Usually they weren't given even one day to learn the lyrics. They came in the studio, listened to the song and then could half an hour practice the vocal parts. Then they rehearsed af ew times and immideately recorded.
Since they never presumed to themselves such luxury as long work in studio, inevitably they had to learn quickly. And with the time they have succeeded in that. Now singers can have week and even months learn and record songs. One producer has forced Withney Huston in the beginning of her career to repeat a song more than 200 times. My children almost always succseeded with the first time, and they actually had to be good, in fact their songs till now put on radio. They say that Chaka Khan already from second time it is ready to record, but I have never met a singer that could learn the melody and the lyrics faster than Michael. Michael recorded complete albums for Motown in 1-2 days.
Jackson 5 have recorded on Motown so many songs, that you will not be able to count. Thy told me once that within 6 years there were 469 but not all of this songs have appeared on the market. Many of them Motown has decided to keep as a reserve, probably, they till now lay in their archive. Some of them are so amazing, that I would like to talk about them.
To them belongs, for example "Never can say goodbuy ". Motown has sold in 5 days more than one million copies of this excellent song, written by Clifton Davis. I till now remember, how my children recorded it, it is one of those songs, that are liked after the first listening.
Also very touching I think is "With the childs heart" - anyway, I like, the way Michael performes it. It's till now remains to be one of his most beautiful ballads. The lyrics transfer something completely special, and it's distinctly audible, how much feelings Michael puts in it. Gene Page which made magnificent arrangements in early Jackson 5 songs , has arranged also this song.
And certainly " One day in your life ". Unless this song is not fine! I mostley like the guitar strings. Michael presents it so good, that it is possible to listen to him indefinitely. Yes, it is amazingly fine ballad, and the lyrics tell the true story.
I cannot describe with words all the beauty of the music - you have to listen to it.. Michael's voice is so clear and expressive, that I till now smile, when I hear this song somewhere.
During all these years while I conducted Jackson 5 to success, I had to communicate with many people, first of all with journalists because I understood, that we need the support of press and other mass-media if we want to become popular. Today the majority of artists has their own press-agent that does the whole puplic work for them but then it was not accepted yet.
I frequently met with 2 editors of the Soul magazine Regina Jones and Judy Spiegelmann. Regina, Ken Jones (the television reporter) and Judy were the first ones who informed about Jackson 5 in press when we have arrived to Los Angeles. I closeley cooperated with them to provide that the article transfers a truthful picture of the group and will be interesting for readers. And the magazine too received benefit, in fact its circulation constantly grew due to us.
Other person with whom I then worked, was Cynthia Horner from the Right on! magazine, which was read basically by teenagers. Cynthia rendered us a big support, and I am till now grateful to her for the numerous press-campaigns, lead by her for Jackson 5.
Shortly after we have signed the contract with Motown, I have got acquainted with very lovely young man by name Dick Clark. He at once has liked me. Firstly he has seemed to me very quiet and even closed, but later I have found out, that he with pleasure communicates with people. He accompanied with us in our first years when we became professional singers, and supported us in every respect.
He then had a new show, "American Bandstand" in which he invited my sons again and again . Dick has a congenial, very natural manner to host an interview, and, in my opinion, he always asked boys the correct questions.
He also helped us with the arraingment of the first concerts. He is sincere, will always answer any question, he likes to work with intelligent people, and he discriminates nobody. As well as Michael, he persistently works, and he too is well-known. Whatever he does he puts all the soul in to it, and he is a the true admirer of our music. In my opinion, it is fine, that Dick and Michael still work together - one does for another everything, that he can. Affairs in his companie, Dick Clark Productions in which some members of his family work also, go well, and he for ever remains one of our best friends. I will always be grateful for everything, that he has made for us.
Also Dick Griffley has made much for promotion of our early concerts. He did his job well. Later Griffley has founded his own record companie, SOLAR.
The Fame can bring also problems. Once in the evening when children still were small, the group had to preform in one show. The concert in one of hotels in the main street of Gary had to last about an hour.
Shortly before the concert me with children have approached to an entrance on a stage, and everyone of us carried a part of the equipment. I just wanted to open the door when five big guys came to us and have asked, whether they can help us. I have felt, that that was only a pretext - they tried to pass to the performance without a ticket. When I have refused, they have simply seized some tools and microphones and wanted to get to the door. I wanted to take the things away from them, the situation was heated, and in an instant fight already was in a heat.
I had to fight with five opponents at once.
My boys were still too small and could not help me. Two of them I managed to knock down, but the others have started to beat me with the microphone racks, and someone of them had kicked me and the head so hard that I have fallen. From the following impact I have lost consciousness.
When I have again come to the senses, policemen were declined over me and shined me in eyes with a flashlight. They asked, whether I am wounded. "Yes", I have murmured, and thus blood has rushed from the broken lip.
I barely could stand up. When I touched my face, I have found out, that one half of it feels nothing, and the nose is broken. But I did not want, to go to the hospital, we had a performance. Therefore we have brought in the equipment and have established it. When I have asked my children, waht happened there, they have told, that those guys have beaten me till the loss of consciousness, and that Michael has called the police.
The whole crowd of gapers had looked at it but as soon as the police has appeared, these dudes have run away. And if not Michael, they for certain would continue to beat me, though I already laid on the ground. The boy, probably, has rescued my a life.
During the concert my sons worked as professionall, as always. As they say "The show must go on". I have tought them this. I looked at them, and all my bones. The face and the right hand have grown dumb, all body was penetrated with a pain.
After show my eyes have so swum away, that I could not drive a car, but guys have somehow managed to get me home. When Kate saw me, she started to shout and has burst into tears. I hardly could be recognised cause I was so badly beaten.
Nevertheless the following few days I continued to work as usuall, but in a week I felt myself so bad, that I have decided to go in hospital for an exam. They have X-rayed me and have put simply tremendous diagnosis: my sculp was broken, the malar bone has been split, and the hand is broken. The doctor has declared to me with a serious mien: " It is simply a miracle, that you have not picked up any infection. You could die! "
I have perplexely looked at him. I have played with my life, and it because I then did not trust doctors and thought, that I can understand everything myself.
My doctor has again put me on the feet, and in 3 weeks I already recovered. And I have promised to myself never to get involved in fight any more. Gangs are dangerous, it is better not to fight with these people, and to try to use verbal arguments.

I agree...thanks for posting. Is there an area large enough to upload this on this site? Or do you have to upload it somewhere else?

not sure...im mixed with native american tho lol, so is joe and mcihael hahahaha we r cousins lol jk i wish

Thanks for posting.
"They say that Chaka Khan already from second time it is ready to record, but I have never met a singer that could learn the melody and the lyrics faster than Michael. Michael recorded complete albums for Motown in 1-2 days."
Michael is really talented!

Chapter 13.

Our First Trip Overseas

In November 1972 there was something outstanding. We, with Jackson 5 have gone on tour to Europe.
We daily rehearsed the whole month, because I did not want to rely on any case. Then we have got on the plane which has brought us to Europe. Among other things, we had to perform in front of the Queen of England.
Since I had already 10 years of the managering expirience, and Barry had predilection for ideas, effective in the advertising relation, we have decided to draw on the plane, our logo "J5" . The boys liked the big writing very much and we beforehand were pleased to meet our English fans waiting for us at the Hithrow airport . The camera crew also flew with us.
During flight they shot almost everything, that we did, it was so much fun to be with the other groups on the plane that it almost seemed to us that it was our own plane.
When we have landed in London, they told us, that the landing field has accumulated so much people, that we hardly can leave from a building of the airport. The look from the window has convinced us that it's the truth - we were expected with storming crowd.
Safety precautions have been accepted, and the special bus took away us from there. Crowds of reporters accompanied with us everywhere, they have besieged our hotel. Still in America we have got used, that the press pays attention to us, but nowhere, except for Europe, the interest to us was not as great.
Our first concert was for Queen Elizabeth II, and we carefully prepared for it. Other groups which have arrived with us, opened the program, and then Jackson 5 performed, and public wildely applauded.
The following concert was in Liverpool. The Beatles were then in zenith of glory, and we could not wait to perform in their native city. When Jackson 5 have run out on a stage, I observed the viewers from behind the scenes. Girls shouted and cried, the hall has been crammed. I still never saw so many people under one roof.
I already then began to notice, and was convinced again and again later: Jackson 5 found the response at people of all races and age. There, in a hall, there were certainly many young people, but also a lot of more senior people. I even saw some elderly ladies shouting the same as very young girls.
When after the show boys have gone to the dressing room to change threr clothes, some man has approached me. " Mr. Jackson, you have broken a record ", he has told.
" What record? "
" At no one of the Beatles concert there was as much viewers as on yours. You have broken their record ".
The news that we have broke The Beatles' record on their native land has spreaded all over Liverpool. Unfortunately, in the USA about it did not inform about it. We were so proud, that we have entered the history in an other country, but the American press on has paid no attantion on our success in Europe. Even today such attitude is a problem for my children.
From England we have gone to Paris, and then to Amsterdam. I liked its numerous channels (Recently I have discovered in Germany same beautiful and also penetrated with channels city - Fridrichstadt on the Shlesvig-Golstain ground founded by Holandians. I have accepted the invitation of Martina Baden and Siegfried Herrman**. It is so beautiful there so it is beautiful, that I am going to visit there together with family). From Amsterdam we have gone through Brussels to Munich and Frankfurt where we also performed.
The German kitchen turned outto be very good. It has reminded me about American Soulfood which is so loved by my sons. I liked Germany, friendly people, the nature, art and houses.
Trip to Europe became a real event. We have got acquainted with many cities, and first of all we have learned how loyal are the fans there. Whereever we would go, everwhere they knew the Jackson 5.
In general our European tour was successful. In each city of the girls fainted, and they needed to be carried away on a stretcher. Partly I could understand it: Michael has a beautiful voice, and his brothers made a perfect harmony on the back-vocal. Jackson 5 had an excellent sounding. They looked good and their voices matched each other. We had to have success.
When today we go along the street somewhere in Europe, I, as well as my wife and children, are recognized everywhere. Certainly, sometimes it strains to be surrounded by crowd, in fact from time to time it would be desirable to rest a little. Besides in the crowd there's always a danger to catch activators of a flu or a cold. (It is by the way one of the reasons why Michael wears a mask). When we were in Europe, I constantly cared of that guys would take their vitamins and were not sick. And nobody never got sick, only Michael once has become a little hoarse, but it has passed.
During our following European tour we performed also in Spain, Madrid and Switzerland. In May 1977 we have visited Scotland to sing on 25th anniversary of the Queen Elizabeth II. The Jacksons (which then my younger son Rendy has already joined) performed in King`s Hall in Glasgow. Then I for the first time have seen the green hills of Scotland. It is a beautiful country where I with pleasure would visit once again.

**They are the ones that sort of helped Joe with the release of this book, or something.

user_offline.gif

Chapter 14

Australia And The Aboriginals

At the end of June, 1973 we went on tour across Australia. The flight was long, almost 24 hours. This time Randy too flied for the company, he then has already grown enough so he could from time to time participateto in concerts.
We were expected with crowd of journalists. The camera flashes started to sparkle, and they have thrown questions at us while the crowd of fans tried to get an autograph. But there was to much of them, and we did not have time. We had to go to hotel to prepare for the concert.
The next evening a party in our honour has been arranged, there were many influential people. A huge buffet has been constructed. After the meal I have paid attention, that behind a fence with which the territory has been fenced, have crowded about 60 young black people, they tried at least with half an eye to look at what was going on inside. I have asked the organizer of the party, who where this people, and he has answered, that they are natives, aboriginals of Australia. It is forbidden to them to participate in this party.
Too bad that he told this to me - he did not know, with whom he was messing. I have approached to the fence, have opened the gate and taken by hand a girl that was about 10 years old. She has timidly receded back, but I have simply pulled her inside. The others have followed us. I have lead them to buffet and have invited to have a meal, while the white visitors have risen from the tables and observed it, without believing there eyes. To cheer everybody up, I have taken care of that everybody danced to our music, and after a while natives and white had a perfectly good time together. So I imagined a holiday in Australia.
Next day in newspapers some journalists criticized my behaviour, but I have not allowed this to spoil the mood to myself. If I always would listen to the press, my boys would not achieve even one decimal fraction of what they achieved. I always was possess by the idea, to improve the life of minoritys even if I was blamed for it. for it
In a couple of days I have received an invitation from the aboriginals to visit for me and Jackson 5. I was curious, and I have told about it to several people in hotel, but they did not advise me to accept the invitation. It would be too dangerous to children and Rose, the white teacher whom has employed Motown. Nonsense, I have thought and have gone to the aboriginals.
We have gone in to the bushes together with all accompanying personnel, about 20 people, and I have to say, it was wonderful event.
Aboriginals have surrounded us, touched us and hugged us. They have brought us exotic fruit and have treated us with meat which they have fried in the earthen furnace. I seldom managed to try something more refined. All of us got sad when there came the time to say goodbye. I anyway had the time to ask them, from where did they found out about Jackson 5. With loghter they said: Jacksons are very famous here in the bush, we knew that you'll cme here long before you arrived here."
In Australia we gave concerts in 5 cities: Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Michael's song "Ben" already was № 1 in the States and in England. Aussies loved this song too, and public went crazy every time Michael sang it. Since then we visited Australia some more times and have got acquainted there with great people. And the aboriginals have remained our true fans.

Last edited:
Back