Who Can forget Him?

billyworld99

Proud Member
For many decades Michael Jackson was an icon of popular culture. He could draw a crowd – not just thousands but millions with every performance through his unique style of music and dance – a true entertainer in every sense of the word.

For those of us born in the 70's and the 80's especially- Michael Jackson was a household name, growing up as we did to the tunes of ' Billie Jean', 'Bad' and 'Thriller'. The short trousers, the white socks and the plastered finger tips were absolutely everywhere - almost a rite of passage. Curiosity over the moon walk and the ability to perform it would definitely earn one recognition as a true MJ follower. He 'rocked our world' and made us look in the mirror and want to make a change.

The world was fortunate to have had him for a while, but sadly it will never see another Michael Jackson again. However, his legacy which surpasses the boundaries of time, will live on through his legion of fans. That's why we are dedicating August, the month of his birthday to your memories of Michael Jackson - through the web edition of the Sunday Times as well as the Mirror Magazine. All you Michael Jackson fans out there, here’s your chance to share your fondest Michael Jackson memories, or just your thoughts on the influence of his music in your life with us.

Write a 200 word piece and send in pictures (if possible), which we will publish on our website Times Online under the 'Michael Jackson Tribute Month' page. We will accept your tributes till August 23, after which we will pick the best for publication in our August 28 issue of the Mirror Magazine (the Sunday before MJ's birthday on August 29).

We are also on the look- out for talented fans who are keen impersonators of their idol. We welcome 1minute video clips of your very own Michael Jackson acts. Videos will be posted on our site and the creators of the best clip ( individual/group) will be featured in our tribute page of the Mirror Magazine to appear on August 28.

So write in or send your video clips to timesonline13@gmail.com and as Michael would say 'This is It' – the ultimate means of paying tribute to a remarkable legend of our times. Come on…start writing

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/110807/Magazine/sundaytimesmirror_02.html

WHY should I write for a TABLOID paper? :beee:
Even the title :censored:

NOW... they HONOR Michael... NOW... and NOT while Michael was 'alive and suffering'
:blink:

^You are mistaken. This is not a tabloid. It's a local newspaper from my country, and I was faintly surprised to find this on Google news myself. They have printed only positive stuff about Michael, to brand them a tabloid is uncalled for because they are a serious news source here. I do think a lot of people have mistaken this for a Rupert Murdoch publication, which it definetely is not. You can look it up further if you don't believe me.

I thought of writing to them, perhaps with photos from my collection.

Yes, we should all write, since this is not a tabloid as Rhilo states. This can be a great platform to let the world know the truth about the greatest artist and humanitarian who did all he could to make this world a better place and was tormented and killed because he was too good for this ugly world! Write to them! Don't give up the fight! We must win it! As Michael said, "there is nothing that can't be done if we raise our voice as one."

This thread deserves more replies. Positive replies, becasue this is a very positive development!
WE are being asked to EXPRESS OUR THOUGHTS and let the world know about Michael! Isn't this what we have always wanted? Instead of feeling sad and angry over the fact that this didn't happen when he ws still on this side, we must do our best to make the best use of this opportunity to spread the truth about Michael! We are forever inspired by him and share our stories and feelings here with each other, its a beautiful thing, but WE already know who he is, it's they who need to know and now we must not let go of any chance to make the world realize, respect and truly love Michael the way we do! The media is asking us to USE it to say what WE have to say, let's do it! The change has begun and we should be happy and thankful for it!

Dear mods, could you pl. change the thread title to something that is more representative of the thread content? Something like-'Non-tabloid' Newspaper asks for tribute contributions from MJ fans!

Thanks.

Today is the last date for sending in your contribution for a positive, truthful tribute to Michael from the fans! Please write in.

Thanks Vic, qbee!

Please write in folks, Aug 23(today's the last day) is the deadline, So hurry up!

I just heard back from them, and they said mine will be published with some editing, due to space issues. Whatever that doesn't get published in the paper will be shared online through a link that will be printed in the tribute page this Sunday. If anyone contributed articles, and would like a paper clipping of it, in the event it's published, I can get it for you. You'll have to PM the name you gave for the article, along with your address :)

I hope they extend their deadline based on the large appeal of this project. Maybe we could even suggest they turn it to an ongoing venture?
This is wonderful news.

Today is the last day for submitting your positive thoughts on Michael!

The truth is we don't have to be writers to express how Michael has inspired us and the world, its the truth of our hearts and we should not let go of any chance to share it with the world.

Even if its just a few words, pl. share your thoughts. It only takes a few minutes, but it surely goes a long way in cementing Michael's legacy and showing to the world what a beautiful gift he has been to us!
I'm writing with the hope that you'll please write in AND also spread the word to other fans. We only have today so we gotta hurry up. Even if its just a few sentences, pl. do write in. The more letters the newspaper receives the more it will realize that people appreciate it when the media say positive things about Michael. So please, please do write in to them.

I sent a reply today, I hope it's not too late. It's a poem I wrote and a collage I made. Thank you Ankita for pointing this out. I wish I had responded sooner. Hopefully others sent in things as well.

This seems like a very positive thing fans can do to honor Michael
This is not a tabloid. they have very postitive and respectful articles

I know this was posted on other sites I really I hope MJ fans respond

Here is the link to the Tribute Page
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/mj-month/9392-who-can-forget-him.html

It seems some of the sent tributes are already there published - I saw Romis and Ankitas tributes :wild: - great words girls.:D

I just realised I sent mine to the wrong address! Re-submitted it. Hope it's accepted.

the title of this thread really hits me in the gut. no offence but i hate seeing it and try to avoid reading it. dunno why it hurts me more than others

Just want to let Romi, Vera and Deborah Longshaw know that their tributes were printed in the paper. Mine's there as well. I got it today. There are two pages dedicated to Michael. All the tributes are available online in the link shared above.

Just want to let Romi, Vera and Deborah Longshaw know that their tributes were printed in the paper. Mine's there as well. I got it today. There are two pages dedicated to Michael. All the tributes are available online in the link shared above.

Rhilo, could you please post a snapshot of the tribute pages in the newspaper and the Mirrror magazine for us. Thanks.

Rhilo, was there also a tribute printed by Elmira van Galen ? a poem ? that would be mine. Thank you for replying.

Rhilo, could you please post a snapshot of the tribute pages in the newspaper and the Mirrror magazine for us. Thanks.

Ankita, yes, I'll post a photo as soon as I can - probably this weekend. Hope that's not too late.

MJJLaugh, sorry didn't see a tribute by your name. Did you send it after the deadline? Also noticed that the ones printed were the shorter tributes of around 200-250 words. They did mention a space issue. Nevertheless everything should be published online :)

Rhilo, yes I sent it after the deadline, too bad. It was published in the online edition though. Congratulations for everyone who got their tributes published in the printed issue!

WHY should I write for a TABLOID paper? :beee:
Even the title :censored:

NOW... they HONOR Michael... NOW... and NOT while Michael was 'alive and suffering'
:blink:

My sentiments EXACTLY, tabloid or not (which I still think this is. I checked that link. It sure didn't look like a legitimate "newspaper"). The fact remains that many people/organizations that sh*tted on him in life or painted him as a joke or a freak are crying the loudest now for profit.

Anything, anything....anything for MONEY!

Last edited:
My sentiments EXACTLY, tabloid or not (which I still think this is. I checked that link. It sure didn't look like a legitimate "newspaper"). The fact remains that many people/organizations that sh*tted on him in life or painted him as a joke or a freak are crying the loudest now for profit.

You are wrong. I'm from the same country this newspaper is from. Thus, I think I'm more qualified to comment on its legitimacy.

There have been many lies and disparaging articles printed about Michael in the foreign (to me) tabloids in the recent past. Yet, I can say with certainty this paper has NEVER reproduced any of those tabloid gossips about Michael. On that basis, and the fact that it is a respected and trusted news source here, I find your comment quite offending.

You are wrong. I'm from the same country this newspaper is from. Thus, I think I'm more qualified to comment on its legitimacy.

There have been many lies and disparaging articles printed about Michael in the foreign (to me) tabloids in the recent past. Yet, I can say with certainty this paper has NEVER reproduced any of those tabloid gossips about Michael. On that basis, and the fact that it is a respected and trusted news source here, I find your comment quite offending.

BUMP!

And thanks in advance for the snapshots! :)

SheilaMJFan4Ever said:
Are you being snide because it's Kelly Rowland saying it and if so, why? She never bashed him so why the hate? Sometimes the indignant attitude of some fans towards anyone that mentions Michael' name isn't warranted or deserved.

You seem to contridict yourself - this paper never bashed Michael either and it is NOT a tabloid so why the hate and to use your your own words so that you understand .. please reconsider :)

"Sometimes the indignant attitude of some fans towards anyone that mentions Michael' name isn't warranted or deserved."

What did you think of all the beautiful stories work the fans contributed to HONOR Michael ? :)

Back