Who Is It

Re: Who is it. Let's discuss!

I love the song too and wish I knew more about it. I know he was expressing his feelings of hurt. One thing I do wonder about though is that the video seems to be connected to a high priced house of prostitution. I think that many celebrities frequent these expensive places, and I wonder of MJ did also. I know he loved Las Vegas and said he loved it because of the "entertainment." (Bashir Documentary). With MJ, it would be just awful for him to have a regular date and have a sexual encounter with someone and not worry that they might go around telling everyone he wasn't a good lover or something like that. It would be uncomfortable I would think if "in the moment" he had to stop and say....by the way, would you please sign this statement of confidentiality. I've just wondered about this. Or, did he ever meet a woman and liked her and then found out she was a prostitute. I wonder about that part in the video where the somewhat cheap woman all dressed in black went to a man's home and got into the bed. The man was in a wheelchair and was on oxygen. I know MJ frequently used a wheelchair. I don't know. I do like the song though and would be interested in knowing what other people think of it.

Don't read too much into the video, it was directed by David 'Twin Peaks' Lynch so is completely random.

The song is his best ever and is another of many about a story of a woman who did him wrong a la Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Dangerous.

Don't be thinking it's autobiographical though, not all his songs are.

It's such a great song I love it. One his best ever! And I don't think it means that much as some people think. Interesting thought tho'.

Hi everyone.
I've posted about this song in random thoughts a few mins ago, and decided it was worth a mention and thread of it's own!:yes:

Who is it song. This song has been my song for today.
Both versions, on Dangerous album, and also on the Ultimate collection as Who is it HS mix! :yes:

Would like to hear your thoughts on this song. I LOVE it, as it expresses Michael's yearning so much.
It doesnt seem to matter, and it doesnt seem right, etc!
Somebody hurt my soul now, I can't take it cos I'm lonely! :no:
Don't you judge by my composure cos I'm bothered everyday!
Miss you MJ:(
This song to me expresses Michaels emotions so much. I know loads of them do, but for some reason this one has really stood out to me today.
Love to hear your thoughts on this song!
Thanks for reading. :angel:

Interesting topic! :) I always find it interesting to read analysis of his songs and lyrics. There are usually so many different dimensions in his art.

I´ve read that Who Is It is at least partly about Diana Ross. Don’t know if that´s the case though. :unsure:

Anyway it´s a brilliant song. I was so amazed the first time (actually every time) I heard him beatboxing the melody in the Oprah interview.

The lyrics are powerful as well. Besides those you already mentioned, the lyrics “I am the damned, I am the dead, I am the agony inside the dying head” always gets to me. :cry:

Yes this song speaks from his heart like he was dealing with a woman he gave everything too and she turn around left him and went on with the next man Finding out she never really loved him. MJ always make songs that have me wondering about his life style he was so good at that one of the best

One of my faves too!!!! The synths are just incredible, and i love the video.

xx

I just so totally L.O.V.E. that song. I think Who Is It is one of the best songs Michael has ever written. I have 7 different versions of that song. I also have both videos of that song. And I have the Who Is It poster which I have kept on the wall above my bed for the past 6 years.

It's an absolutely awesome song.
MJ's delivery of this Dangerous album track takes you there.
Into the question at hand.

Love it.

This is one of my favorite songs. I love how personal it is. One of his best, in my opinion.

I just so totally L.O.V.E. that song. I think Who Is It is one of the best songs Michael has ever written. I have 7 different versions of that song. I also have both videos of that song. And I have the Who Is It poster which I have kept on the wall above my bed for the past 6 years.

7 different versions? :bugeyed
Oh man I'd love to hear them!
I also have a massive postor of MJ on my bedroom door. Thriller 25th anniversay one. :wub:

Interesting topic! :) I always find it interesting to read analysis of his songs and lyrics. There are usually so many different dimensions in his art.

I´ve read that Who Is It is at least partly about Diana Ross. Don’t know if that´s the case though. :unsure:

Anyway it´s a brilliant song. I was so amazed the first time (actually every time) I heard him beatboxing the melody in the Oprah interview.

The lyrics are powerful as well. Besides those you already mentioned, the lyrics “I am the damned, I am the dead, I am the agony inside the dying head” always gets to me. :cry:

ooo yes beatboxing! :wild: :yes:
:clapping:

And the lyrics you mentioned I know what you mean. :(

Don't read too much into the video, it was directed by David 'Twin Peaks' Lynch so is completely random.

The song is his best ever and is another of many about a story of a woman who did him wrong a la Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Dangerous.

Don't be thinking it's autobiographical though, not all his songs are.

Thanks Tony R. This is what I love so much about this community forum, we learn more about MJ from eachother. :)
I agree with you that Michael sang about certain ''types'' of women, not necessarily real life encounters, but he sings with such passion that you would think it was his own personal experience.:angel:

I love the song too and wish I knew more about it. I know he was expressing his feelings of hurt. One thing I do wonder about though is that the video seems to be connected to a high priced house of prostitution. I think that many celebrities frequent these expensive places, and I wonder of MJ did also. I know he loved Las Vegas and said he loved it because of the "entertainment." (Bashir Documentary). With MJ, it would be just awful for him to have a regular date and have a sexual encounter with someone and not worry that they might go around telling everyone he wasn't a good lover or something like that. It would be uncomfortable I would think if "in the moment" he had to stop and say....by the way, would you please sign this statement of confidentiality. I've just wondered about this. Or, did he ever meet a woman and liked her and then found out she was a prostitute. I wonder about that part in the video where the somewhat cheap woman all dressed in black went to a man's home and got into the bed. The man was in a wheelchair and was on oxygen. I know MJ frequently used a wheelchair. I don't know. I do like the song though and would be interested in knowing what other people think of it.

Bless you. It seems you are a deep thinker like myself! :yes:
Thanks for your comments, and thank you to everyone who has replied on this thread.
I love to dissect MJ's songs! We'd be here forever if we dissected them all! :bugeyed
I appreciate your comments, thanks!
:clapping:

IMO, the song is about his personal life, a woman who loved and left him.:(

just wanted to say hey in this thread...as I mentioned to BJ09 already, this song touches me like few others.... I mean, as soon as I hear the first beat, I just FEEL Michael......I don't think the message in Who Is It was as close to his heart as messages in, say, HTW, WYBT, MITM, etc, but he poured his soul into this song. I get such an intense feeling when I listen to it, like Michael is standing beside me... does anyone else feel this??

hey Thetruthbetold
wheres the picture of your sig from?

one of my fave songs too I love it since it came out, and it's the best one from Dangerous by my opinion.

I love the video, and the complete atmosphere of it - especially the part in the beginning..

just wanted to say hey in this thread...as I mentioned to BJ09 already, this song touches me like few others.... I mean, as soon as I hear the first beat, I just FEEL Michael......I don't think the message in Who Is It was as close to his heart as messages in, say, HTW, WYBT, MITM, etc, but he poured his soul into this song. I get such an intense feeling when I listen to it, like Michael is standing beside me... does anyone else feel this??

totally agree...i feel the same! :clapping: who is it is just another example of his genius, and his amazing ability to convey emotion in his music..especially the part...'i am the damned, i am the dead..i am the agony inside the dying head..." I can literally feel his agony...just incredible....the main beat, the beat boxing...CLASSIC MJ imo...

totally agree...i feel the same! :clapping: who is it is just another example of his genius, and his amazing ability to convey emotion in his music..especially the part...'i am the damned, i am the dead..i am the agony inside the dying head..." I can literally feel his agony...just incredible....the main beat, the beat boxing...CLASSIC MJ imo...

yes yes yes, that part too, definitely!
You're right, it's about how he conveys emotion....you feel it through his voice.

I think this is the best song ever written! Really! I love this original version and remixes I've heard. The best song ever!

I always thought that that song happend in his real life and that somebody cheated on him and he wrote that song because of that? But who is the girl if that is true?

Amazing, brilliant song. So well written and put together. It's just an amazing song. It's one of my favorite songs ever and I think it is definitely on the top of the list for one of Michael's best songs. I love how personal it is.

Wow, 7 different versions!? What versions are they called? I'd love to hear those someday, I absolutely love this song.

Are there 2 versions of the video? I didn't know that, I wish Mike had performed it live, it's worthwhile performing it, its lyrics are so emotional, the music is absolutely brilliant and the concept of the video was perfectly made and credible.

Back