Who you find overrated and corny?

Celine Dion is about as good a singer as you can get. She isn't overrated. Just because she doesn't write her own music doesn't mean she isn't as good a vocalist as they say she is.

That's your opinion though, it's not a fact. I like Celine Dion but I have never been that impressed with her voice to be honest, same goes for Mariah Carey. Whispering and hitting high whistle notes is not what I consider "real singing" but that's just me of course....

Last edited:
Well, you can call it opinion. She's awsome, amazing control, amazing range, amazing power. Same goes for Mariah. When judging off of general standards used to determine technically correct singing, Celine is tops.

Last edited:
Both Celine and Mariah are overrated. They are good, for sure. But they are not that good.

There are many vocalists with great range, power and control. 99% of them are not even remotely as successful as those two.

I've seen Celine Dion live, second row. I'm not even going to argue this. In my view, she's the top vocalist in the world, with a few others. She blew me away and to me, she makes Whitney Housten, who I feel is overrated, vastly, like an amateur. Her quality, along with her technique, makes her a superior vocalist to almost everyone, in my view. Same thing goes for Mariah Carey. She and Dion are more successful simply because they are better, better technique, range and control and they sing with feeling and are versatile. Mariah Carey has like a 4.2 octive range, that's not exactly common.

Now watch, you didn't say in your opinion, but people who agree with you aren't going to take issue with you not stating such.

Last edited:
I've seen Celine Dion live, second row. I'm not even going to argue this. In my view, she's the top vocalist in the world, with a few others. She blew me away and to me, she makes Whitney Housten, who I feel is overrated, vastly, like an amateur. Her quality, along with her technique, makes her a superior vocalist to almost everyone, in my view. Same thing goes for Mariah Carey. She and Dion are more successful simply because they are better, better technique, range and control and they sing with feeling and are versatile. Mariah Carey has like a 4.2 octive range, that's not exactly common.

Now watch, you didn't say in your opinion, but people who agree with you aren't going to take issue with you not stating such.

I never said that Celine didn't have a good voice, obviously she does but I don't feel anything when she sings. Maybe that's the difference there I guess. I like singers who make me feel what they're singing like Whitney Houston. You say she's overrated and I feel that she is the greatest female singer ever but that's my opinion. Now the only impressive thing about Mariah Carey's voice IMO is that she can hit those high notes, otherwise i'm not impressed with her really. I like Whitney's voice better, it's much stronger. Mariah's voice is on the weak side to me and she tends to sound whiney at times whereas Whitney has/had great control of her voice and can hit high notes so effortlessly and never sounds whiney like Mariah. Also, I do not see what is so versatile about Mariah's voice. She does one thing with her voice but people like what they like I suppose. I think Christina Aguilera is a far better singer than Mariah, but some such as yourself prefer Mariah and Celine and some like myself prefer Whitney and always will.

It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

Last edited:
Both Celine and Mariah are overrated. They are good, for sure. But they are not that good.

There are many vocalists with great range, power and control. 99% of them are not even remotely as successful as those two.

Basically.

Anyone who hit the scene from 1995 on are overrated, lol.

I just can't STAND the acts today, they're so lame. Anyone who takes a look at the industry today and compares it to the industry 15 to 20 years ago and tells me that the standard HASN'T dropped, needs to get their eyes checked, big time.

I so agree...creativity is nil now and either they are re-doing a song
and or just let anyone make an album and or think they have talent? :)

Bob Dylan

I just don't get it, the guy can't sing, his lyrics although poetic at times is just too much for anyone and well yeah bllegghh

Robbie Williams, Prince, (all the fake gangsta rappers like 50 cent) and all these cappy bands that sound alike such as the kaiser chiefs and other crap, spice girls >_< , Elvis, Abba (nasty ****) and paul maccartney

Celine Dion can never be overrated in my book. Ever since I heard "Heart goes on" I can't get enough of her! lol

I don't think Madonna is overrated, within the boundaries of pop music. What she lacks for in her voice (which isn't exactly terrible) I think she makes up for in songwriting and overall ability to manage her own creative vision.

There is a Dutch singer called Floor Jansen who sings in a band called After Forever, she is hugely underrated and in my opinion can do more with her voice than any other singer mentioned here. It's very frustrating when ridiculously average singers like Britney storm the charts when someone as amazing as Floor would inspire the same millions to sing half-decently.

Last edited:
majority of the music industry today is overrated and corny..

I saw R.Kelly on TV today saying he has alot of faith in R&B and hip-hop today. Mentioning T-Pain and Akon..

It saddens me that even R. Kelly (someone that has done great) in the music industry does not see what CRAP the industry is pushing out.. The "King Of R&B"..... :(

Spice girls, that salt'n peppa wannabe that can't sing a note. I hated them the first time around and now they are back to torture me.

Justin Timberlake. He's alright but I have yet to hear anything original from him.

I don't get Rihanna. Mostly, her music just gives me a headache.

U2. They're a good band and all, but if you're not into one of their albums, it's likely that you won't like the rest of them either.

And I have yet to figure out what makes Coldplay such a genius band. Their singles are good (Yellow, Fix You and Speed of Sound are nice) but I almost fell asleep listening to A Rush of blood to the head.

I don't think Madonna is overrated, within the boundaries of pop music. What she lacks for in her voice (which isn't exactly terrible) I think she makes up for in songwriting and overall ability to manage her own creative vision.

There is a Dutch singer called Floor Jansen who sings in a band called After Forever, she is hugely underrated and in my opinion can do more with her voice than any other singer mentioned here. It's very frustrating when ridiculously average singers like Britney storm the charts when someone as amazing as Floor would inspire the same millions to sing half-decently.

Lol, Madonna is not a good songwriter by any means. However, she is innovative and good at keeping up with the times plus a lot of her songs are just so damn catchy!

Erm Madonna, although I like some of her music, she isn't exactly AMAZING.

Last edited:
And Michael actually thinks Chris Brown is wonderful! And Akon, and Will.I.Am who I think are all overrated and really bad singers and writers. Will.I.Am is okay, but Akon & Chris are really bad and I don't understand why MJ loves them so much :(

Michael doesn't love them. He's just saying that cause he's working with them to stay current. Michael knows better then anyone that these "artists" are flash in the pan jokers who are just there to give him a modern surface. Besides, when have you EVER known Michael to insult or demean another "artist"? Like, never, lol. He's just being nice, as usual.

Last edited:
Michael doesn't love them. He's just saying that cause he's working with them to stay current. Michael knows better then anyone that these "artists" are flash in the pan jokers who are just there to give him a modern surface. Besides, when have you EVER known Michael to insult or demean another "artist"? Like, never, lol. He's just being nice, as usual.

Lol pretty much. You can tell the difference when Michael talks about someone like Chris Brown and when he talks about someone he truly admired and was a a fan of like James Brown.

Last edited:
Elvis Presley - It really irritates me when the media repeatedly try to shove him down everyone's throats all the frikin time. :innocent:

Amen! Since we're on the Presley topic....

LMP!
50 Cent
Akon
Britney
Justin Timberfake
Rhianna

and many many more....

I find loads of "artists" overrated and corny :lol: I would have to say Britney though, as much as I used to like her...

Agree! I also find most of the artists today way overrated! The list is too long to fit in here :lol: I also find Madonna, JT, 50 cent and his crew, Jay z to name just a few, way overrated!!

I'm on the same thoughts with the ones you named here (especially JZ and JT).

Madonna, over the last few years, but early I loved her. 50 cent I don't listen to, but he has appeal though his talent maybe lacking. No doubt, the list is very long...like years long.

Lately, I'm leaning a lot toward Beyonce and Chris Brown as very over-rated in my book. It's too much of a lot of nothing. I'm just being honest. Hate me, if you must.:lol:

And Michael actually thinks Chris Brown is wonderful! And Akon, and Will.I.Am who I think are all overrated and really bad singers and writers. Will.I.Am is okay, but Akon & Chris are really bad and I don't understand why MJ loves them so much :(

I feel I'm agreeing with you, but does Michael really love them or just gives them some attention because the music world is putting them out there as great artists. Hmmm.

whats the big deal about Rhianna? and kanye i cant stand that doo-doo head. whining at the music awards, coming up with less than mediocre songs and then claiming to be much more significant to the music industry than he really is, also ripping edwin birdsong off after daft punk already came up with best possible cover.That pisses me off,seeing daft punk and kanye together on the rolling stones cover.

Timberlake is a weak Mj copy but who can blame him for wanting to be like Michael.I cant stand Akon either.

I was searching for you, since I jumped around the thread a bit. But you are right in my opinion and you left off someone...Diddy.

Oh I know I'm asking for it... I'm not scared. ^_^ Let the truth be told. Let it all hang out.

Back