Why is BOTDF seen as a low point?

I love Blood On The Dance Floor. I simply adore it. It gets left out so much of the time but imo it's amazing :) Morphine and Ghosts...ahhh, how could you not love them? :p

I don't see it as a low point....when I got the CD, I was kinda mad cuz there were only five new songs on it but I still love that album. I always thought "Superfly Sister" could have been a really cool video. My fav of the "five" is "Is It Scary" and I loved it even more when I saw Ghosts!!!

Is It Scary is one of Michael's greatest songs. It's absolute genius. :)

I must admit that I accidentally forget BOTDF sometimes when listing Michael's albums...but that has nothing to do with its quality. Probably because it wasn't a 'proper' full album.

I think it was a wrong move to make this a remix album, and that's why it's overlooked.
It's like I've always said before, imagine a whole album with the same flavour as the original songs on BOTDF. That would've been AMAZING.
BOTDF would've been like HIStory: Chapter 2.
Songs like Money, 2Bad & This Time Around sound more fitting to a "BOTDF" album, than for the HIStory album. (if that makes any sense)

whoa yeah i agree.... and i cant help thinking that if history didnt have a gretest hits volume on it, it would have been a lot bigger.

since history has 15, songs, he could have taken 5 off history and put onto BOTDF, and had two studio albums with 10 songs each, same as thriller or bad. (9 and 11) ...

It's one of his most underrated albums but i love his sound during this time.
Superfly sister is sick and i love Ghosts as well. The clip is one of the best he's made imo. The disguises are just brilliant.

what is it that people dont like as much about the BOTDF songs? why do they often get kinda forgotten or ignored?

It only has 5 new songs; most of the songs are remixes; it's seen as a more of a companion album to the proper HIStory album; it sold quite poorly, for an MJ album, especially in the US, where it wasn't promoted at all (I believe it was No. 1 in the UK though).

However, as everyone knows it's the best selling remix album ever.

Actually, none of the songs were new. The "new" songs were just unreleased stuff from the vault. A couple of the songs were for the Addams Family movie, but they decided to use MC Hammer instead.

Isn't it the biggest selling remix album of all time (6 million sold)?

I always liked the five "new" songs very much. I think it gets lost in the shuffle because it's primarily remixes, which I and I guess many other fans see as inferior to the original tracks. I like the Scream remix (the 1st one, track 6), and I remember liking a Wyclef Jean's 2 Bad remix (I think that may have been from the BotDF single tho), but those are pretty much the only remixes of Michael's individual songs I've ever liked (I also like the HIStory promotional megamixes of all of MJ's hits).

Also, it wasn't seen as a new album at the time, but just a complement to HIStory (thus the subtitle "HIStory in the mix") and received zero promotion in the US, so at the time people never even thought of it as a "new" album. Even at the time I didn't think of it as new since as DuranDuran said the 'new' stuff was just from the vault. While excited when it came out, I just didn't see it as Michael's follow-up to HIStory. It's a good listen though and worth the price for the five songs.

i love BOTDF... is it scary for you is amazing.
i recently got hold of a copy of Ghosts..... WOW OH BLOODY WOW!....
you can clearly see how he wanted to go into film producing and IMO i think he would of ben great at it. a natural flare as in all things he touched.
MJJTATTOOS007-1-1.jpg

I always liked the five "new" songs very much. I think it gets lost in the shuffle because it's primarily remixes, which I and I guess many other fans see as inferior to the original tracks. I like the Scream remix (the 1st one, track 6), and I remember liking a Wyclef Jean's 2 Bad remix (I think that may have been from the BotDF single tho), but those are pretty much the only remixes of Michael's individual songs I've ever liked (I also like the HIStory promotional megamixes of all of MJ's hits).

Also, it wasn't seen as a new album at the time, but just a complement to HIStory (thus the subtitle "HIStory in the mix") and received zero promotion in the US, so at the time people never even thought of it as a "new" album. Even at the time I didn't think of it as new since as DuranDuran said the 'new' stuff was just from the vault. While excited when it came out, I just didn't see it as Michael's follow-up to HIStory. It's a good listen though and worth the price for the five songs.

I agree, the 5 tracks are really amazing.
I always had a hard on for the Tony Moran HIStory Lesson though - that remix hit me instantly in the heart. It has got soul.
I always wondered what's the connection between it and "The Course - Ain't Nobody" since they we're released almost the same time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lffxEk3rg

Your avatar makes me feel guilty, I just ate McDonalds :(

Blood On The Dance Floor (History In The Mix) is seen as a low point because it didn't chart high in the USA were it was a flop, but not a flop because people supposedly lost interest in Michael.

The album wasn't really promoted in the USA and was really aimed at the European market to add to the HIStory Tour. The USA media choose to miss these facts out, as well as missing the fact the album was really a remix album with 5 new songs. If Blood On The Dance Floor (History In The Mix) was an album where every track was a new song like Dangerous etc then Blood On The Dance Floor (History In The Mix) could be seen as a low point. But it wasn't a low point, and sold very well outside the USA. Michael actually wanted Blood On The Dance Floor (History In The Mix) to be released as an EP with the 5 new song, as Michael was never a fan of remixes.

It only has 5 new songs; most of the songs are remixes; it's seen as a more of a companion album to the proper HIStory album; it sold quite poorly, for an MJ album, especially in the US, where it wasn't promoted at all (I believe it was No. 1 in the UK though).

However, as everyone knows it's the best selling remix album ever.
That's right, it's a companion album to the History album. That said, the 5 new tracks on BOTDF are really good songs. I love them all.

its portrayed as a low point because "journalists" count it as a full seperate album.
and from that perspective it was a huge flop.

but it had these small sales numbers BECAUSE it was no full album but a REMIX album
including some bonus tracks. remix albums are not selling like real albums by nature.
the whole thing was basicly a bonus to the HIStory album.

taken for what it is ...its a nice album. and probably the most sold REMIX album ever.

I don't think of BOTDF as an album. Just as a promotional tool and nothing sounds new, though I do prefer some of the remixes to the originals. That being said, Blood on the Dance Floor Is one of his best songs!!!!!!! I would love to see the unreleased version of the video.

Last edited:
Benscarr said on the last page.

Michael actually wanted Blood On The Dance Floor (History In The Mix) to be released as an EP with the 5 new song, as Michael was never a fan of remixes.

I think its because theres only 5 normal songs and the rest are remixes, alot of people arent huge fans of remix albums (including me). But I LOVE this cd for the 5 songs alone, I had to get used to the remixes, I especially love the Sream remix. Its a great album that should be talked about more.

its a remix album cant be compaired with a normal one.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM WITH A PASSION

BOTDF is soooo FUNKY!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE GHOSTS

is it scary!?!? OMGGGGG! love the lyrics..

and morphine has so much meaning now

can you tell how much i adore these 5 songs! haha

album has more of a DANGEROUS album feel to it rather than HIStory.. anyone agree?

I love BOTDF! The whole thing just rocks me out. Morphine is so hard-hitting, it seems to cut me to the bone. Ghosts and Is It Scary just flow into each other so beautifully and there's just nothing else like those two songs, anywhere, ever. I really love the whole CD, I think it's fantastic to dance to or just listen to from beginning to end. One of the few albums I own (including Michael's) on which I have never skipped a track. Now that I think about it, I can only think of three others (and I have at least 500 CDs, maybe closer to 700 by now) I always listen to from beginning to end, excluding live albums: Enigma MCMXC a.D., Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine, and Nirvana Nevermind.

BOTDF may only have a few newbies on it and others remixs but to me its part of MJ, part of his legacy.
i recently managed to get hold of a dvd of Ghosts..... something i have been looking for for a long time on dvd (market flooded with MJ stuff now) i paid over the odds for it but i not bothered.
BOTDF is a fave on my iPod makes me strut my stuff evening my advancing years. lol
please don't dismiss this cd.... its relevent and needs to be heard

Back