wil.i.am Talks About The MJ Tracks on RoveLA

Poor Will. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Nobody knows what Michael would have wanted to do is the point. No matter what Will does, someone will blame him saying 'Michael wouldn't have wanted this or that' but nobody can ever truly know. We are all hungry for new Michael music but to say we deserve to hear it, as if we are owed the right, is going too far. Look at the controversy with the tracks on 'Michael'. Suppose Will were to release some tracks, would everybody be happy? Or would a new controversy erupt? Why complain because he won't release whatever he has, why not support him for trying to do what what we the fans are always saying we want from his 'friends' : not trying to make money from having known Michael Jackson.

Myself and about 4 others have repeatedly said that he wouldn't need to make money off the sale of the album/singles. He could just as easily donate any money to charity.

And IMO you cannot compare the disgusting Cascio tracks with the possibility of a producer merely releasing songs he did with Michael. There is no comparison in controversy. Not even close. It is not the same AT ALL. Was there controversy around Akon or Barry Gibb? No. The controversy stems from the vocals on those three tracks on 'Michael'. That is a point of controversy. If Will.I.Am released these true tracks there would be complete acceptance. It wouldn't even be an issue. The focus would be on the music for once instead of the bloody controversy and drama.

The sky funnily enough will not fall if a true Michael Jackson track is released in the right manner. I know people are concerned about Michael's legacy but to me it looks like the Cascio tracks have created a culture of paralyzed fear amongst fans. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
The way some people are talking, it gives the impression that you'd much prefer never to hear any unreleased/new Michael Jackson material ever again. Why bother getting behind any future project? It is an inevitability given the circumstances that such material is going to be released. It will be released. Sony have a contract to release those 10 albums until 2018 or whatever date it is. Why are Will.I.Am's tracks any different to anyone else's? The notion that any producer who works with unreleased material is somehow a money hungry sell-out is disgusting, but that's the attitude some have. It couldn't be that they actually want to bring Michael's dreams and hopes to life? It couldn't possibly be that they want to strengthen his legacy and enrichen our lives further? It's not just about money to these people. Some actually do care. And that's the issue here. I don't want people profiting off Michael for a cheap, quick buck. I don't want fake vocalists. All of us just want to hear Michael in the best way given the circumstances.

With so many people around Mike always trying to profit off his name, I think we should appreciate and respect will.i.am's decision. Like any Michael Jackson fan, I would love to hear everything he ever worked on, but if the songs were far from being completed, Michael would not have wanted them to be released to the public, and if will.i.am doesn't feel comfortable finishing them off without Mike's input then that's fair enough.

I think it's obvious that will.i.am developed a real friendship with Mike. When he released that video message just after Mike's death, he was clearly upset and in tears. So let's respect his decision and be happy that he doesn't seem to be another leech.

If the songs were close to being completed, or fully completed then it would be different, but if they were half done there is no way Mike would have wanted them released. He was such a perfectionist.

KingMikeJ;3545388 said:
Why? Because he won't let us hear his private recordings?

I'll qoute Joe Vogel to answer your question:

"But for most music lovers, we will take whatever new Michael Jackson we can get, whether demos, new mixes or remixes. “Hollywood Tonight” could be gathering dust in a vault; instead, it has people dancing in the streets."

He said that about Hollywood Tonight but it is the same with all songs. And those songs are not his "private recordings", those songs are not The Black Eyed Peas songs, or will.i.am songs, those songs are Michael Jackson songs that he co-produce and co-wrote with Michael Jackson. Maybe he played all the instruments on the tracks and maybe he came with the beats but those songs are not his "private recordings" and those songs belong to the Estate of Michael Jackson.

Why do some think he is lying about the some songs? What does he gain from doing that? Clearly NOT profit. lol The only thing I see him gaining is some angry fans and I doubt that's what he wants to do.

EXACTLY. Why should he put himself through this to satisfy a few fans. Some will say oh give it to us, and then you will see the backlash as they complain about how subpar the songs are. Let him keep what he has. I remember he did say before that Michael kept his music and he kept his, which suggests that he does not have completed songs.

Poor guy is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. No matter what. Even if the supposed profits were to go to charity, he'd have to promote the fact he's giving it to charity. Some would believe him, and some wouldn't. And some would get mad he's "promoting" his charitable efforts, backing themselves up by saying Michael only rarely promoted his charitable efforts, if at all.

The fan in me want's to hear them, even if only once. And the other half of me respects his decision to keep them private after all the other fiasco's. After all this, I do believe those tracks will eventually be heard. Granted, it might be 10 years from now. But I do think they will be heard. And if we don't hear them, well, what we don't know can't hurt us. We will forget or simply loose interest.

"Friendship is more important than trying to profit on somebodys past!!"

^^ I'm sceptic.
i will remind him in the future, when he is releasing all the michael jackson songs.

Profit is wat the intention of the Casqio tracks were. If it's done propertly, close to Michaels intentions. To me is like keeping to glow warm. The problenm is that he himself thinks, that releasing anything now is about profit. No dear Will, releasing greatest hits after GH over and over again is about profit.
If he has vocals, he can do something, he is good producer. But i doubt he has any material, that can be finished and released.
The most importand thing is, if the vocals aren't complete and need to be filled with someones else, it's fine to me, just don't hide and lie about it. like Casqio did.
Why no one jugges the release of the tracks with Mercury?

Oh, come on... he spent like, what?, 2, 3 weeks with MJ? And then he says that as if they were friends for years...
To me is very clear that the songs are too unfinished, so he can't release them, and to sound nice, he go and say that friendship is more important, yeah, right!
---------------------------------
Funny, if some people here think that we've had enough of stuff MJ could give us, then why are they here, anyway? I mean, if you are so satisfied with what we have, then why you keep coming here and criticising every single project of new stuff from MJ? Just stay out listening to MJ past albums and don't try to ruin every new stuff that we get.

Who are you to know what MJ would or wouldn't want to release? He never said anything about it... In fact, i think if he was working on new songs it's because he would want the fans to hear them, not to keep them locked inside a hard-drive forever... His legacy has to continue on and on...

I respect him ,at least not like Cascio ,all his nose for money.
And the day Will changes his idea to release the tracks at least they will be real and fakes.

Funny, if some people here think that we've had enough of stuff MJ could give us, then why are they here, anyway? I mean, if you are so satisfied with what we have, then why you keep coming here and criticising every single project of new stuff from MJ? Just stay out listening to MJ past albums and don't try to ruin every new stuff that we get.

Who are you to know what MJ would or wouldn't want to release? He never said anything about it... In fact, i think if he was working on new songs it's because he would want the fans to hear them, not to keep them locked inside a hard-drive forever... His legacy has to continue on and on...

I assume you're referring to my earlier post. I don't criticise every new project we get, in fact I welcome them. My point is that we don't deserve anything more and we are not owed it by the Estate, Will.I.Am, or anyone else. I already said I would love to see these songs released but I can see completely where Will is coming from.

And even if I was against new releases, don't tell me or anyone else not to come here. This is a forum for all Michael Jackson fans. If it welcomes people who believe Michael is alive, it can welcome people who choose not to buy "new" material.

I think you and a lot of others here need to stop being selfish and just respect Will's decision. You've got 40 years worth of material to listen to, with "Victory" and one or two unreleased songs from "Bad" probably being released within the year. Look forward to that and let go of these songs, we're never going to get them.

Dissapointed in Seth McFarlane, though he had a better sense of humour than that....You know, i'm way past the point where these jokes offend me. It's more at a point now where I just think....seriously? I have to go and check my calendar and see if it's still 2005! With his friend sitting there as well? Come on...

Oh, come on... he spent like, what?, 2, 3 weeks with MJ? And then he says that as if they were friends for years...
To me is very clear that the songs are too unfinished, so he can't release them, and to sound nice, he go and say that friendship is more important, yeah, right!

I agree on this with you but....
---------------------------------

Funny, if some people here think that we've had enough of stuff MJ could give us, then why are they here, anyway?

Do you think that the stuff that Michael put out while he was alive wasn't enough? Just asking

I mean, if you are so satisfied with what we have,

Aren't you satisfied with what we have?

then why you keep coming here and criticising every single project of new stuff from MJ?

Because they are not project of new stuff from MJ, like the "Michael" album revealed to us. But better not to open this discution, is not the right thread. And because this is a forum where everybody can say their opinion, right?

Who are you to know what MJ would or wouldn't want to release? He never said anything about it...

Same can be said about you. Who are you to know what MJ would want to release? But we do know that he wouldn't be happy with some of the things that the estate released last year.

In fact, i think if he was working on new songs it's because he would want the fans to hear them, not to keep them locked inside a hard-drive forever...

The magic word is YOU think. But that is not a proof or what MJ wanted. Same can be said about the fact that i think that MJ wouldn't want his fans to hear half finished songs, with strange people singing on them and so on. But again that is not a fact. That is what i like to think.
His legacy has to continue on and on...

His legacy can continue on and on with the brilliant matterial that MJ put out while he was alive. If you don't think so, then is very sad actually because MJ's legacy is based and will be determined by his original matterial.

Poor guy is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. No matter what. Even if the supposed profits were to go to charity, he'd have to promote the fact he's giving it to charity. Some would believe him, and some wouldn't. And some would get mad he's "promoting" his charitable efforts, backing themselves up by saying Michael only rarely promoted his charitable efforts, if at all.

Seriously? You think fans would speculate tirelessly and endlessly on an issue like charity compared to the monstrosity that is the Cascio tracks? I said it before - there is no comparison.

Maybe to please everyone - the producers from now on should never work for a wage

I assume you're referring to my earlier post. I don't criticise every new project we get, in fact I welcome them. My point is that we don't deserve anything more and we are not owed it by the Estate, Will.I.Am, or anyone else. I already said I would love to see these songs released but I can see completely where Will is coming from.

And even if I was against new releases, don't tell me or anyone else not to come here. This is a forum for all Michael Jackson fans. If it welcomes people who believe Michael is alive, it can welcome people who choose not to buy "new" material.

I think you and a lot of others here need to stop being selfish and just respect Will's decision. You've got 40 years worth of material to listen to, with "Victory" and one or two unreleased songs from "Bad" probably being released within the year. Look forward to that and let go of these songs, we're never going to get them.

I wasn't referring at your post, but in a general way. And i was talking about the people who criticise every single project, the ones who hate everything that is released AFTER Michael's death, so if you don't do that, it doesn't include you.

I don't have the right to say who may or not be in the forum, and i am not, but i'm just saying that if these people hate so much what's being released after Michael's passing, then i don't see the point of going inside these threads and just criticising everything. If it annoys that much then why they even bother?

I'm sorry, but i think that if anyone is being selfish, is Will. Of course he has PART of the rights to the songs, but the Estate also have it. And the Estate wants to release them, and the fans wants to hear them. And who is him to know what MJ would really want? If he thinks it's about money, then just give it to charity. That's just what i think, but if he wants to hide these songs and never release it(if they're finished enough to release it), then there's nothing we can do about it!

EXACTLY. Why should he put himself through this to satisfy a few fans. Some will say oh give it to us, and then you will see the backlash as they complain about how subpar the songs are. Let him keep what he has. I remember he did say before that Michael kept his music and he kept his, which suggests that he does not have completed songs.

Michael making a sub-par song? :doh: You know we're talking about Michael Jackson right? Michael. Jackson.

If the song was in its foetus form - then sure there's that possibility that Will might screw it up. But if they have a rough demo down it should be incredible. There have been numerous snippets released/leaked online like 'I Am The Loser', 'The Place With No Name' etc and you can see the magic in those 10 seconds. Those songs sound rough and jaded, but they are pure Michael.

The thing is Will.I.Am doesn't need to profit off of them. Why not release them and then every disc/digital sale can go to a charity of choice? How about one of the charities Michael supported throughout his life?

People can berate me all they like, but we as the fans deserve to hear these tracks. We deserve to hear what Michael had planned for us. We understand it's not going to be exactly how Michael envisioned the final cut to be - but it doesn't make them any less special. If we don't hear them within the next 10 years I'm going to be bitterly disappointed. These songs should not die with the producer.

Some may say he's being noble, and I appreciate the notion - but I feel they should be released. They should be celebrated. They should be loved. By the people who loved Michael. These songs deserve more than to be kept on a hard-drive/kept in a safe for decades gathering dust.

Remember, Michael released numerous demos throughout his career of his work in progress. These songs are in essence - demos. Why is releasing something like this such an issue?

I agree 100% Pls. let us hear them!

Do you think that the stuff that Michael put out while he was alive wasn't enough? Just asking.
Aren't you satisfied with what we have?
What Michael left for us is amazing, if you say that there is nothing else that MJ left to be released, i would be fine, totally gratefull and happy of what this genius have left for us. But if you say that there are stuff we can still hear from him, then i am not satisfied. Not because what he left isn't enough, but because i love his music and i will always wanna hear more and more form him.
And if he never said anything about not releasing stuff after his passing, then i don't think anyone can say that he wouldn't want to...ç

If I can rememeber correctly wasnt it Will.I.Am who said he didnt even have the full songs but only the beats and some instrumentals and that MJ kept the other half of his vocals and such in his own vault .. and that it would have to be a merger between him and the estate to get the songs fully produced. Im sure I remember him saying something to that effect. maybe someone can find that interview or video where he made those statements. I also remember when he released his solo album that he said he wrote some songs on that for Mj but MJ didnt want them So he used them himself.

Im just not sure what he has as far as MJ songs go. As time goes on I get the feeling he just uses that for some clout - recognition. Im not sure how it works but Wouldn't MJ have copyright on his vocals demos of the songs wouldnt it be registered. Im mean even small samples or loops have been registered. Does Will.I.Am have any songs registered as coloboration with MJ ... How does that work anyway. Im not sure?

Also why does he say they are locked away safe. If he has no plans to releaseor use them why doesnt
he just destroy them so they cant be leaked used or released. What is he saving them for ?????

I also think MJ did know and feel his vaulted songs would be released as he himself stated he
had them in his vault for the benefit of his chldren - meaning they would reap the rewards

Michael making a sub-par song? :doh: You know we're talking about Michael Jackson right? Michael. Jackson.

If the song was in its foetus form - then sure there's that possibility that Will might screw it up. But if they have a rough demo down it should be incredible. There have been numerous snippets released/leaked online like 'I Am The Loser', 'The Place With No Name' etc and you can see the magic in those 10 seconds. Those songs sound rough and jaded, but they are pure Michael.

You seem to miss the point of the post, it is not that Michael made a sub par song, and yes every artist can do so, the same way a genius can make a mistake and you and I can do the same. However, the point of the post was that since Will said at one point that Michael took his song and he took his, this suggests that what he has is not complete. He has to be careful if he brings out music that is not the best quality and reflects Michael's work. I applaud him on his decision. It is his to make. Later on if he will change his mind, I will listen to his rationale at that time.

QBee yes he did say that in another interview. That is why I feel the songs are not complete. He has his part and Michael has his. I am sure other artists who worked with Michael will publish their work, so no doubt we will have other songs to look forward to in the future.

Last edited:
If I can rememeber correctly wasnt it Will.I.Am who said he didnt even have the full songs but only the beats and some instrumentals and that MJ kept the other half of his vocals and such in his own vault .. and that it would have to be a merger between him and the estate to get the songs fully produced. Im sure I remember him saying something to that effect. maybe someone can find that interview or video where he made those statements.

Yes, you are right. I remember the same thing.

I also remember when he released his solo album that he said he wrote some songs on that for Mj but MJ didnt want them So he used them himself.

I pretty sure that was Ne-Yo. He release a cd last year and he said that lots of the songs in it were written for MJ.

By the way, if i was a good friend of MJ's and someone made such an idiotic joke about my dead friend like that dude of the left did, i would have said something to him. Stupid individual

qbee;3545832 said:
If I can rememeber correctly wasnt it Will.I.Am who said he didnt even have the full songs but only the beats and some instrumentals and that MJ kept the other half of his vocals and such in his own vault .. and that it would have to be a merger between him and the estate to get the songs fully produced. Im sure I remember him saying something to that effect. maybe someone can find that interview or video where he made those statements.

Yes, I remember the same too. If I'm not mistaken the interview was aired on CNN.

EDIT: I founded it.

CAMPBELL BROWN: So, Will, I understand you and Michael were collaborating together just before he passed away. Tell us what you're working on?

WILL.I.AM, MUSICIAN, ACTIVIST: I had the pleasure and the blessing to work with Michael Jackson for the last, say, around two-and-a-half years I've been communicating with Michael Jackson, talking all of the time on the phone and I flew out and worked with him in Ireland, came back to America and we did "Thriller 25."

I remixed and produced three songs on that album that came out. And it was just - I can't even find the words to describe how thrilled and excited I was working with him and talking with him on the phone and spending time with him, learning from him, exchanging ideas.

It was awesome. He is a great man.

BROWN: So was there a new album that you guys were working on?

WILL.I.AM: It was just making music, you know? We fiddled with a bunch of different ideas and recorded a bunch of things. I'm not - it was never like, let's record an album. It was, let's, you know, have fun and make music.

BROWN: So where is it? Are we ever going to get to hear it?

WILL.I.AM: I would love for it come out, you know, the things that we came up with were spectacular. Some of it unfinished, we never got a chance to really finish the tune.

BROWN: So can…

WILL.I.AM: You know, because we - it was kind of like piecework, you know?

BROWN: Yes. Are you still working on it or can you still work on it?

WILL.I.AM: Without him it will be, you know, impossible. You know, our work relationship was real unique. You know, there was a lot of producers in the past that, you know, took advantage of how - of Michael Jackson, how big he was. And I didn't want to go about it that way, you know?

So when his managers asked me how much I wanted to get paid, I told them I didn't want to get paid, and I didn't want them paying for my plane tickets when I went travel to work with him.

So, you know, we went about it that way. It was just all out of the love of music and, you know, we appreciated each other and what we brought.
And I, of course, you know, was just thrilled to be, you know, working with the guy.

He - you know, a true talent a gift to the planet, you know? For all the wonderful things that he has done in the world of music and his philanthropy and, you know, just really inspired me to the core.

And I would like to figure out how to go about, you know, releasing some of the unfinished things - songs that we've, you know, started to work on. Like, you know, when James Brown passed away, he and I went into the studio to record a song that was called "I'm Going to Miss You (ph)," and that was never complete.

And for that song to come out now would be, you know, something else –

BROWN: So –

WILL.I.AM.: – spectacular to release that.

BROWN: So, do you own it? Can you release it? Or, does his family own it? Or, how does that happen, or how does it work?

WILL.I.AM.: I don't know how that happens. You know, I don't know.

BROWN: So you don't have the tracks, you don't own the tracks?

WILL.I.AM.: I have the tracks in my archives (ph) but I don't - you know, he would take his vocals and I would take my music. So, you know, I didn't record his vocals on my hard drive and on my hard drive I kept the music.

BROWN: It would be great if you could work with the family and bring it together and put it all together. Don't you think?

WILL.I.AM.: That would be, you know, that would be wonderful. But, you know, I don't want to, you know, I don't want to - I don't want it to be about money or profits earlier and I don't want to do that now. So, you know, if they come to me and want to do it, I'll be thrilled but I don't want to - that's not what I'm about. I don't want go and try to take advantage of a situation, you know?

BROWN: Right.

WILL.I.AM.: If it comes out it would be awesome. I don't want to force it to come out, you know? It's like a marry of the two hard drives with his vocals and my music. You know, that would be great, as well.

BROWN: So, how did it come about that you two started working together?
How did you meet him? Who brought you together?

WILL.I.AM.: So, I was on tour with the Black Eyed Peas early 2007, or late 2006. I don't know. It was a while ago. And I get a phone call and Taboo says, Will, Michael Jackson's on the phone. And I didn't believe him, you know. I thought he was joking around. And then when I talked to the guy on the phone I thought someone was playing a prank on me doing a Michael Jackson voice.

Lo and behold, to make a long story short, it was indeed Michael Jackson. He and I had talked once a week for about six months since he reached out to me. And then I flew to Ireland shortly after that to work with him.

BROWN: So, let me ask you a tough question. When you were working with him, did it seem to you like he was on drugs?

WILL.I.AM.: No. Not at all.

BROWN: Did –

WILL.I.AM.: You're talking about a –

BROWN: Go ahead.

WILL.I.AM.: You're talking about a man that is so - you know, his sense of precision in the studio, paying attention to every single detail and wanting to bring the best out of his songs. No, it didn't seem that way at all.

BROWN: Did he seem frail or sick to you at all?

WILL.I.AM.: No. Not at all. He was alert, he was kind, he was fun to be around with. He loved music. We loved talking about, you know, the things we liked about traveling. Not at all.

BROWN: Well, Will, for everyone it would be wonderful if you could work this out with the family and people would be able to hear that music at some point in time.

WILL.I.AM.: Yes. You know, I would like - most importantly is the family to get over the blow of Michael Jackson's passing. That's what's important. And the music will always be there and if it comes out that will be great, if it doesn't, you know, I had a blast knowing him and working with him and those memories will always be with me.

His music will continue to live on and inspire the world, entertain us, give us escape. So - you know - it's hard for me, you know? He would call me on my birthday and on Father's Day because he knew that I didn't have a relationship with my father so he would call several - two Father's Days we talked on the phone. So, it's hard for me, you know?
I'm not as close as his family but right now the most important thing is, you know, allowing people to get over it and remember him and deal with the pain.

BROWN: Certainly the case.

Well, Will, thanks for coming on and talking with us about this. We really appreciate it. Good luck to you.

WILL.I.AM.: Thank you.

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2009/07/30/cb.unreleased.mj.songs.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2009/07/30/cb.unreleased.mj.songs.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I'm not sure if remember correct Will.I.Am changed his mind about release MJ songs after Michael album issue (or shortly before). And I don't understand why he manages this records like he's the only one who has the rights? What about Estate?
I'm tired of him to be honest. You don't want to make a profit of MJ legacy but also you don't have to repeate it all over and over again. Just say you have nothing to release and you don't have rights to do that, that's all. No, he needs suspense.
Looks like a dog in the manger

I'm not sure if remember correct Will.I.Am changed his mind about release MJ songs after Michael album issue (or shortly before). And I don't understand why he manages this records like he's the only one who has the rights? What about Estate?
I'm tired of him to be honest. You don't want to make a profit of MJ legacy but also you don't have to repeate it all over and over again. Just say you have nothing to release and you don't have rights to do that, that's all. No, he needs suspense.
Looks like a dog in the manger

The interviewer asked him about the tracks so he repeated the same thing he has told us many times. He didnt just bring it up out of the blue.

The interviewer asked him about the tracks so he repeated the same thing he has told us many times. He didnt just bring it up out of the blue.

There's a difference. I don't mean how many times he's talking about it, i mean the way he offers this subject. This songs interest basically because of MJ but Will talks about it just like that treasures belong to him at all. I don't like it.

^yeah I agree, why keep mentioning it? Anyway whatever, it's kind of disappointing. I'd love to hear anything with Michael's voice on it no matter the quality, but that's Will.I.Am.'s choice.

Id love to hear anything Michael has recorded and didnt he n will-iam finish legacy?

I get his point about releasing the recordings, but why does he just donate to anyone of the charities Michael donated to

Back