Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

There will be a lot of disappointed people then. I do have realistic expectations, and I do not think it will even come close to Thriller. I think it will do well, but not like that.

It bugs me when people want to compare everything to Thriller. I hate to disappoint people, but not everything with his name on it can do so well. If Xscape was to surpass Thriller, there would have to be something super-incredibly special about it, something that was more revolutionary than Thriller. And, as of this moment, I just do not see that with this album.

If some people are expecting Xscape to reach Thriller sales then they are dreaming. It won't even reach Invincible sales

I meant surpassing previous posthumous releases. No album could match or surpass Thriller, his best ones couldn't do so.

Funny how the mood goes up and down on this thread:D
We are waiting any snippets like no tomorrow, and then the expectations settle down for a little, then the mood goes up again expecting this album to sell like Thriller and down it comes again.

This waiting is very hard work and mentally draining. I should sue the estate and demand that they give a little snippet of news and song:cheeky:

Btw, all the admins and staff have disappeared and are nowhere to be seen?
They must have this album somewhere and are listening it someplace safe:D

We can talk about how much it may sell all we want but for those who care about the same I think we cud be spending more time talking about how to influence sales!

fans on here were saying that it's too soon to have any promotion yet.

No. That's not what we said. We said it's to early for the tracklist and song previews. It's not too early for the single.

To touch on the Tupac debate, he was rather critical of Michael, as most artists were. But at the end of the day, he respected him. Michael attempted to work with him back during HIStory but it never came to fruition, as they were both too busy. This isn't a case of grabbing a random artist that Michael never heard of and pairing them together; there was a mutual respect. And of all the rappers I could want to work with Michael, Tupac is number one. And I, personally, am thrilled about it.

Consider this: if Paul McCartney used an MJ verse in one of his songs, so long as he does it justice, who would be mad? No one. Mainly because Paul and Michael did respect each other.

i'd be happy if it is the worldwide best selling album of 2014. i have realistic expectations.

No, you really don't. This year, there are albums due from Adele and Taylor Swift, and they're both heavily anticipated. Those two albums will destroy Michael sales wise, no matter what promotion the estate does. Xscape won't be the best selling album of the year, and then you'll come back into the thread and continue blaming the estate when really its your own fault for expecting too much.

Xscape will be in the top five, possibly.

remember! in less than a months time we're getting three unheard songs, unheard demos and unseen videos ahh

What else would you expect? Branca and McClain to start performing the tracks on a world tour?

.................:bored2:

remember! in less than a months time we're getting three unheard songs, unheard demos and unseen videos ahh

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND all those GEMS in HQ!

It's so hard to not listen to those six songs at the moment, specially with all the talking about it!
But i have to keep going & grind through it until this magic date arrives 05/13/14 #Xscape

Have the Demos been played to anyone yet? or any word/reviews on them, I aint upto date on news past couple days.

Birchey;3982149 said:
Hopefully we will get some different mixes of the demos, but that might be unlikely.

I don't know if you have seen this, but this is the latest we've gotten so far:

[...]
You Will Two-Step To “Love Never Felt So Good”
This opening track from the album has an old-school, ‘80s feel that’s simply irresistible. Don’t fight it. Move those feet.

Michael Sings About Being Boyfriend #2
On “Chicago (She Was Lovin' Me),” MJ sings about being blindsided by a woman he’s dating. Turns out, o’girl has a husband and kids! Michael reportedly co-wrote pieces of the track. Go ahead and sip your tea.

MJ Found Inspiration In Televisions PSAs
Everyone remembers that old public service announcement that preceded the nighttime news: "It's 10 p.m. Do you know where your children are?" In a similar fashion, Michael tells the story of a runaway kid on “Do You Know Where Your Children Are?” over a galactic synth loop that’s still stuck in my head, two days later.

2Pac And Michael Jackson Would’ve Made Great Music Together
On the second playback of Xscape, after many of the attendees were already retrieving phones and bags from coat check, L.A. Reid unearthed a version of the title track with vocals from Tupac Shakur’s “Changes.” And believe it or not, it was epic. You can only imagine Mike and Makaveli dapping each other in upstairs in Thugz Mansion.

http://www.vibe.com/article/what-hap...medium=twitter

Did I read there is a bonus DVD with the album?

@Ark

DVD supposed to have those 2 videos included...

They should add a HD download (even though if its MJ footage probs wont be HD) to the CD release, DVD's are so 2008 xD

On that note did anyone ever release a Audio Cassette/VHS release :black_eye:

@Ark

DVD supposed to have those 2 videos included...

I'm assuming that we don't know what the content is though, right? I guess we'll find out with the tracklist.

I'm ass ummming that we don't know what the content is though, right? I guess we'll find out with the tracklist.

We'll see, I am curious too.

Don't get me wrong, Thriller will always have a special place in my heart because I discovered Michael with that album but I wish his 90's albums which are better were more celebrated. Even Sony/Estate put too much emphasis and effort on Thriller.

I hope to see real efforts from both Sony and the Estate to promote Xscape, I'd be ecstatic if it surpasses the previous releases.

Unfortunately thats how it will always be for most artists - the general public will only remember their most successful work. In my opinion "Use ur Illusion-2" is GNR's best work but the focus will always be on Appetite. Same goes with the Bee Gees- The only album people will talk about is "Satuarday Night Fever". The list can go on with Floyd- The Wall, Metallica- Black Album, Eminem- MMLP, Prince- God knows how many Albums he has released but the casual listner will only know about "Purple Rain".

To touch on the Tupac debate, he was rather critical of Michael, as most artists were. But at the end of the day, he respected him. Michael attempted to work with him back during HIStory but it never came to fruition, as they were both too busy. This isn't a case of grabbing a random artist that Michael never heard of and pairing them together; there was a mutual respect. And of all the rappers I could want to work with Michael, Tupac is number one. And I, personally, am thrilled about it.

Consider this: if Paul McCartney used an MJ verse in one of his songs, so long as he does it justice, who would be mad? No one. Mainly because Paul and Michael did respect each other.
To each their own, but if Paul McCartney would take a verse from one of MJ's biggest hits (like Changes is for 2pac), say, Man in the Mirror, and incorporate it in one of his own songs, I would find it pretty lame. If Paul McCartney died and the heirs of his Estate would take that verse and mix it with an unreleased and unfinished McCartney demo it would be even lamer and an obvious money grab. And I'm sure plenty of Beatles fans and MJ fans would feel the same way.

While they respected each other artistically, they did not exactly get along after MJ purchased the Beatles catalogue. Whenever 'Sir Paul' would talk about MJ in interviews he always came across as rather condescending to me (doing the high-pitched voice, etc). In any case, they did not have plans to work together again (thank god, 'Girlfriend' is one of the worst songs in MJ's entire discography imo).

In my opinion, they should leave the remixes up to producers, DJ's, and creative fans - who can do some cool stuff with it - and if a remix is extremely good release it as a b-side.

To each their own, but if Paul McCartney would take a verse from one of MJ's biggest hits (like Changes is for 2pac), say, Man in the Mirror, and incorporate it in one of his own songs, I would find it pretty lame. If Paul McCartney died and the heirs of his Estate would take that verse and mix it with an unreleased and unfinished McCartney demo it would be even lamer and an obvious money grab. And I'm sure plenty of Beatles fans and MJ fans would feel the same way.

While they respected each other artistically, they did not exactly get along after MJ purchased the Beatles catalogue. Whenever 'Sir Paul' would talk about MJ in interviews he always came across as rather condescending to me (doing the high-pitched voice, etc). In any case, they did not have plans to work together again (thank god, 'Girlfriend' is one of the worst songs in MJ's entire discography imo).

In my opinion, they should leave the remixes up to producers, DJ's, and creative fans - who can do some cool stuff with it - and if a remix is extremely good release it as a b-side.

I love 'girlfriend'. Soulful, warm, awesome vocal harmonies.

Let's say the John Lennon Estate finds a formerly unreleased demo. They then mix it with Man In The Mirror in an attempt to try to make it successful. Maybe us, MJ fans would not be that upset, but I'm sure John Lennon fans would be and would feel it very cheap that they try to sell a Lennon song by wrapping it up in a former HIT by MJ... I think we should too rate MJ above such cheap PR tricks.

Considering the album is titled Xscape, perhaps Rodney Jerkins will allow the release of the studio footage featuring Michael? Unedited footage, not compiled or a montage.. i feel this release deserves something complete, a glimpse into Michael's creative mindset whilst creating this song.

2Pac version of Xscape not getting released @ twitter. Atleast not on the album.

It might be for a remix or for a single release.

Back