Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

i imagine LA Reid now having this look on John Branca

Frank-Underwood.jpg

LA Reid killed it! I like these mixes more and more, and I love the whole idea of this album.

I actually discovered the Dangerous album from a tape cassette my sister had left in a boombox that she handed down to me.

That was in 2003, prior to that I was a casual fan that just knew his radio hits but after listening to Dangerous and Who Is It I was sold that this man was the greatest entertainer that lived. I ended up taking 2 buses to Best Buy and buying all of his solo albums from Epic.

This album is a godsend after the mess that was Michael in 2010. The Estate/Sony/Producers made the right choice by putting their spin on the songs instead of trying to replicate or finish what Michael had started, and the decision to provide us with the original demos was brilliant.

Now if only they'd get a community manager that actually was present on the forums and kept the social media accounts active and up to date.

Chicago (original version) I am meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllltttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggg

This album IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

The album "Michael" what a STAIN compared to this production!

"Michael" should clearly be reworked and those three infamous songs on it be removed and do justice to MJ!!!!

Chicago Original is my favorite song of the album !!!

APWNN ---- CAN'T STOP DANCING

25gtnit.gif

Since we're talking about when we discovered Michael...

The very first album I ever picked out to buy myself was Michael's "Bad" album. I was raised by a MJ fan, my mom, who had Off The Wall and Thriller in vinyl form, as well as several Jackson 5 albums...but I really started noticing MJ in 1987, at the age of 5.

Dangerous, I had the cassette. Again, picked out myself. I have no idea what happened to it, but it's probably somewhere. I still have my 80's vinyls. History was taken out of the library over and over again, and I didn't own it until 2001. Blood On The Dance Floor, I missed, but caught up with in 2001, when Invincible came out.

I've been there for every leak, and every moment in the MJ world since 2001. I participated in the very first MJ chatroom, on Sony. Moderated two MJ forums. Taped the 30th Anniversary concert off of live TV, when it aired. Live streamed the MJNewsOnline party in London from 2004, where Michael was there...and over dialup.

And I still get excited every time I hear a new Michael Jackson album. :)

Since we're talking about when we discovered Michael...

The very first album I ever picked out to buy myself was Michael's "Bad" album. I was raised by a MJ fan, my mom, who had Off The Wall and Thriller in vinyl form, as well as several Jackson 5 albums...but I really started noticing MJ in 1987, at the age of 5.

Dangerous, I had the cassette. Again, picked out myself. I have no idea what happened to it, but it's probably somewhere. I still have my 80's vinyls. History was taken out of the library over and over again, and I didn't own it until 2001. Blood On The Dance Floor, I missed, but caught up with in 2001, when Invincible came out.

I've been there for every leak, and every moment in the MJ world since 2001. I participated in the very first MJ chatroom, on Sony. Moderated two MJ forums. Taped the 30th Anniversary concert off of live TV, when it aired. Live streamed the MJNewsOnline party in London from 2004, where Michael was there...and over dialup.

And I still get excited every time I hear a new Michael Jackson album. :)

All the bolded - Pretty much identical to my story! Small world ;)

How I rank the MJ albums now:

Thriller
Dangerous
Xscape
Off the Wall
Bad
Invincible
History

Am I the only one who thinks the new Xscape song is the most improved? It's just awesome.

Chicago Original is my favorite song of the album !!!

Definitely one of my favorites. People are probably getting tired of me repeating this, but the song is so haunting and mysterious. It's the dark sequel to Liberian Girl that I never realized I wanted. There's also something about the opening 10 seconds of the original Loving You that I find really pleasant.

I just wanted to say I am so happy with how this release has been handled. From the format (remixes + originals) to the insane global advertising machine behind it, to the level of care expressed from everyone involved. This is what Michael deserves. Every aspect of Xscape has impressed me, and even though some of the remixes are still growing on me, I will still give credit to everyone involved. It's these type of projects that unite the fanbase and attract new fans at the same time. Kudos.

Same here if i didn't have my yellow walkman i wouldn't step outside and on week ends i was jammin' to mj on one of these

sonycfsw5003.jpg

^^Hey who put my current hi fi system on the forum!! No wonder I was looking for it and could not find it.

where are you people hearing the album?

What I love so much about the way this album was handled is that there is something for everyone on it, so much to choose from. Original, raw versions, and new fresh productions. You can go back and forth depending on your mood or whatever you're feeling that day.

Great promotion and you can just tell they are trying to make the fans happy as well as covering their bases with the general public. It's a win-win.

What really more can you ask for? It's a bangin' album, that's for sure :D

I'm obsessed with the original Chicago. I'm melting... it's so beautiful. His voice... that music.:wub:

It got leaked.... *hides*

After hearing all the remixes, this is my order of preference:

1. Loving You
2. Xscape
3. LNFSG (solo version)
4. Blue Gangsta
5. Chicago

The rest are unlistenable... :ninja:

6. STTR
7. DYKWYCA
8. APWNN

Why does the new Xscape suck?
Ugh. Darkchild got rid of the girl part, too. And the beat is just generic bla.
The original was probably the most complete song of all of them. He should have just changed the drum sounds. But leaving the prison bar sounds and the girl like the original...
UGH

However, the rest of the album is pretty damn ace!

I just did skim of the 90 second previews on iTunes (switched to the Danish store).

Just listened to a bit of Do You Know Where Your Children Are. I keep thinking the verses sound something like a Donna Summer song...I'm tryin' to think...maybe the verses from On The Radio?

I like the song, though. They did a good job with it (I'll go listen some more...)

The message in the song is such a good one.

I like the "save me" part. Oooh, and I'm likin' the guitar in the mid.

:)

What a week we've all been having!!!!

Last edited:

It's like there's a rainbow of pixels and polygons dancing on the new DYKWYCA instrumental.

My crude attempt at visualizing the colors. :p

Last edited:

Anyone going to listen to the SMU today? laughs

I definitely can say the Xscape album has been everything what MICHAEL wasn't. It's noticeable the Estate have learned from their mistakes. I'll go hapilly to buy at my record store. I'm really hoping all the physical deluxe CDs have that gorgeous poster.

I definitely can say the Xscape album has been everything what MICHAEL wasn't. It's noticeable the Estate have learned from their mistakes. I'll go hapilly to buy at my record store. I'm really hoping all the physical deluxe CDs have that gorgeous poster.

That seems to be the case. The "Michael" album was too rushed in my opinion. They should've let everything breathe for a while. We had a lot going on at that time remember? The Immortal World Tour announcement, "MJ The Experience" video game, and "Vision (I feel that was rushed too)." It was all happening too fast.

Now, things have slowed down, time has passed, the producers have taken their time with "Xscape." Michael's vocals are out of this world! I love a song that tells a story. "Love Never Felt So Good" is the perfect way to start the album off and "Xscape" is perfect for closure. Plus the original versions Michael did? You can't get any better than that.

Long live the King!

Last edited:

With all of these positive reviews from the fans, it makes me even more anxious for my copy of the album to arrive!!!!! i really hope it comes soon.. Michael may not be here anymore, but his genius is eternal.. through these unreleased gems, the world will continue to be reminded of who's the greatest of all time. Can someone confirm if the Demo of 'Do You Know' is from the BAD sessions? or is the vocal take we have now, just got youthful sounding vocals?

MpMj1011, I was only going to rate each song with a small comment. Nothing like the amazing review you wrote! I see the below format has been deemed acceptable for the thread so, I will complete with my views.

1. Love Never Felt So Good
John McClain: 9/10
Timbaland: 8/10
Original: ---

Comment: This is a true demo so I personally do not feel a need to compare it to the contemporized versions. I enjoy Timbaland’s version but, I prefer Mclain’s. I see no need for Timberlake.

2. Chicago
Timbaland: 9/10
Original: 8/10

Comment: Timbaland wisely sped the song up and introduced new sounds. The original mix is sultry and I enjoy it but, if it was released at that time, it would be lost as every other 90’s R/B song had similar sounds.

3. Lovin' You
Timbaland: 9/10
Original: 8/10

Comment: The original is quite lovely as it is but, it is not inspired. Again, we are receiving the mixes as they were last worked on by Michael. I do not believe Michael would release the original in that manner. Timbaland takes it to the next level.

4. A Place With No Name
Stargate: 7/10
Original: 9/10

Comment: the original is a mid-tempo, easy going, comforting song. Stargate went the opposite route, straight to the face. I give them credit for taking the risk but, I believe the remix goes against the comforting essence of the song.

5. Slave To The Rhythm
Tricky Stewart: 10/10

Comment: Interesting both producers (Timbaland and Stewart) removed that beautiful, operatic note Michael opened with and kept the original bridge. Hearing the original proves Timbaland played safe as he kept the basics of it. I do like that he amplified the chains that are heard on the original but, I wonder why he removed the whip sound? I would have liked to see Timbaland update the outro. I prefer Stewart's version to both. Stewart only needed to tone down the mix and let Michael’s vocals be the forefront.

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
Timbaland: 7/10
2010 Mix: 10/10

Comment: I give Timbaland credit for taking the risk because the video game sounds are interesting however; I feel they take away from the seriousness of the lyrics. I do appreciate that the guitar riffs (pasted at the end) and the outro were kept in the contemporized version. I prefer the 2010 mix to both.

7. Blue Gangster
Mix(?): 9/10

Comment: I appreciate Timbaland showcasing the anger in Michael's vocals more and the bridge shines so beautifully. I just do not feel it is that much of a standout to the original and do not understand the original's outro (the horns) being on the remix. I have heard a mix of this with a few more horns or such and that version is not too different from the original.

8. Xscape
Rodney Jerkins: 10/10
Original: 10/10

Comment:
Xscape: I love BOTH versions! I was so happy to hear the prisoner’s interlude and prison guards and the female voice in HQ. I had tears in my eyes listening to the contemporized version for the first time; it was that grand!

Jerkins had one song on the cd and the difficult task of remixing his own song. He did himself and Michael proud! While Michael may not have liked 808 - I do not know Michael and cannot speak for him - I truly believe he loved BASS!! (Oohhhh that wicked, sexy BASS!!!!!)

Jerkins earned and deserved the honor of the title track! This is not magic; it is perfection! Bravo Darkchild, BRAVO! Best song on the cd!

Scoreboard: three contemporized (LNFSG, Chicago, LY), two unreleased (STTR, DYKWYCA), two originals (APWNN, BG). Xscape is in a class of its own as the contemporized and original are perfection.

This cd has something for everyone. Please purchase the deluxe and enjoy!

Thank you Estate/Sony, L.A. Reid, Timbaland (producer of the year), J-Roc, Jerkins, Stargate, and everyone involved for listening to fans, giving us a superb project, and most importantly respecting Michael's art. I have been harsh at times to Estate/Sony however; I want Michael to have the best.

Thank you Michael for everything and for not burning your music.

Thank you MJJC and all posters in this thread. I read every post and if I could thank each one I would! It was an honor discussing this amazing cd with you all.

We finally got it and it sounds SOOOO GOOD!

I am so HAPPY!

Seems there is a video coming soon

Jamie O ♫ ‏@LoveJamieO ·8 Std.
More from #LoveNeverFeltSoGood video set. The sickest dancers. Sickest video. @michaeljackson #michaeljackson #xscape pic.twitter.com/F5UT9dgOTZFoto anzeigen Foto ausblenden Antworten Retweeten Retweetet
Löschen
Favorisieren Favorisiert Mehr
Tweet einbetten Jamie O ♫ ‏@LoveJamieO ·8 Std.
@AmazingKingPop @michaeljackson @jtimberlake a lot of amazing homages Gespräch zeigen Gespräch ausblenden Antworten Retweeten Retweetet
Löschen
Tweet einbetten Jamie O ♫ ‏@LoveJamieO ·10 Std.
On set #LoveNeverFeltSoGood video @michaeljackson @jtimberlake #BADjacket #iownit #XSCAPE pic.twitter.com/E9EuXBvRtmFoto anzeigen Foto ausblenden Antworten Retweeten Retweetet
Löschen
On set.... #LoveNeverFeltSoGood music video @michaeljackson @jtimberlake #MJ #XSCAPE pic.twitter.com/m7lCWjEEDhFoto anzeigen Foto ausblenden Antworten Retweeten Retweetet
Löschen
So, was just told the NDA is over which means I can say it. As I'm sure you guessed, it's the @michaeljackson @jtimberlake video!!!

just blasted the album in my car with subwoofer.... damn this album burns. especially both STTR versions.

the world must hear it asap!

Woke up with Love never felt so good on the radio and they interviewed a member of the malibu forum here in Germany. Yeah finally.:wild:

Back