Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Don't trust Wikipedia

On "Michael", we got 7 new songs, and even THAT disappointed a lot of people back then (yeah, my copy has 10 MJ songs on it; sucks for you if yours doesn't).

No, your copy has 7 songs too. You just hear 10 songs in your head.

Despite the disappointment, and the fact that only, what, one of those 8 songs was actually written by MJ, I'll be buying this on day one.

WTF???

Love Never Felt So Good (co-written), Escape (co-written), Do You Know Where Your Childrean Are, Chicago 1945 (co-written). THAT IS 4 if you can count that much.

WTF???

Love Never Felt So Good (co-written), Escape (co-written), Do You Know Where Your Childrean Are, Chicago 1945 (co-written). THAT IS 4 if you can count that much.
Blue Gangsta (co-written), She Was Lovin' Me (co-written) and Slave to the Rhythm make 7.

I have pre-ordered now!!

Am I the only one who can only see the Deluxe edition on iTunes?? - with a gold cover - LOOKS EVEN BETTER !!! GREATNESS !!!!

Deluxe album cover looks so amazing!! - The golden touch is superb!! - AND - VERY VERY CHEAP !! I was like WTF?? - Why so cheap?? It has 17 tracks and 2 videos??? - Can't wait !!

8 new songs
8 demoes
1 bonus song - maybe WMCIG solo ?? - I hope so!! I hope it's not just Hollywood Tonight demo. - But that would be ok too though..

2 videos - I think STTR is one of them - but what is the second video?? - Maybe studio footage??? Would be great!!

I love this new release already!!!

Am I the only one who can only see the Deluxe edition on iTunes?? - with a gold cover - LOOKS EVEN BETTER !!! GREATNESS !!!!

Nope! There's another thread in this part of the forum where a whole bunch of fans have mentioned that they pre-ordered the iTunes Deluxe Edition :D

Of course I've pre-ordered it on iTunes too ;)

happy-dance-the-colbert-report-9352750-300-229.gif

I'm so going to get Deluxe :wild:

I wonder what 2 videos are? Videos for the songs or videos of MJ in the studio?

I dont understand why we dont get to see the tracklist. I really wanna know what songs the CD contains :music:
And why can i not pre order on amazon? :( Its only for itunes.

Opinions from the listening party from UK website Pop Justice:

wow. I went feeling very sceptical, as I always am about posthumous albums but bloody hell I was surprised.

It's the album that Michael would've released in 2014 if he was still around. Some brilliant tracks and standout tracks were:
Xscape
Slave
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Place With No Name - samples Way You Make Me Feel
but all eight tracks were great…

I was going to write almost the exact same post - it's a very strong album and much better than a posthumous release gets to be. You can definitely hear the Timbaland influences in some of the tracks, but they've definitely done a good job of retaining the authentic feel while making it modern. Some similarities to the 20/20 Experience and Bruno Mars, etc,. but then you remember quickly that these songs are what inspired those albums and not vice versa.

Do You Know... is one of the strongest choruses on the album, and Xscape feels very fresh. Slave To The Rhythm is a huge tune, but could have used a bit more oomph - some upcoming remixes should take care of that.

Impressed and pleasantly surprised!

Two other tracks were Blue Gangster and Loving You… both were great. Some people said the tracks sounded similar to each other at times but I would call it cohesiveness rather than repetitive. There is only 8 tracks - but you knew that already, right?
Shame they're not just dropping it on iTunes tomorrow, it would get a lot of press especially with it being April Fools Day. Perhaps they know how good it is and are expecting rave reviews.

There was an air of surprise at the quality but I think that's because of the previous album and also the fact people like Timbaland were involved who can be quite hit and miss.
I am not a Bruno Mars fan AT ALL but I could easily imagine him releasing some of these tracks and having huge success, just a shame Michael's unlikely to get much airplay.

I imagine these tracks will be brand new to the wider public though. The production and overall sound is so different to the demos too.

Also was delighted that there doesn't seem to be many parts with 'extra vocals' from impersonators or session singers apart from one or two small parts.
Always thought if they needed extra vocals they should've got a sister, brother or even 3T.

The first track on the album was Love Never Felt So Good, very breezy production.
I agree that there was definitely surprise in the room at the quality of the songs, and the enthusiasm went crescendo after the first couple songs - the latter half of the album seemed more modern and punchy. Couldn't single out a bad track, but I would say track 2 (forgot the name) and maybe 3 were the weaker ones.

No tracklist coming for a little while either! But I'm sure it will be all but clear from the inevitable blog reviews over the coming week. Slave to the Rhythm sounds exactly like the snippet in that Xperia ad - wish it had a bit more of a kick to it as the backing track is pretty much constant the whole way through, but it's still a massive jam.

This album SHOULD sell by the bucketload but i'm not sure if it actually will, especially as only eight tracks.

I do agree it should sell very well, and seems the plan is really to go full blitz with the album across several platforms, so I think it has a decent chance of doing so.

I dont understand why we dont get to see the tracklist. I really wanna know what songs the CD contains :music:

This happens with almost every album these days. The album is announced and put up for pre-order, then the tracklist is usually revealed soon after.

It gives Sony/The Estate more stuff to announce/advertise which, considering Michael isn't here, can be quite valuable. :)

:clapping: THANK YOU!!! People shouldn't be stealing songs anyway, especially from an artist they claim to be a fan of. I've never heard these songs before, so they're all be new to me and I prefer it that way.

I didn't steal Mike's music when he was alive and I'm not going to start now that he's no longer with us. That's f'd up imho.

Wow.. on Itunes India the album is just for $2 and the deluxe for just over $3....

As a fanatic I wud be willing to pay like $25 for every unreleased songs there is in the Vault. Thats how much new MJ music means to me.

I already feel like I owe MJ a lot of money for all the leaked songs that, I am, and will be listening to, for the rest of my life.

Opinions from the listening party from UK website Pop Justice:

WOW - they are positive.!!!

Now I'm even more exited!!

Blue Gangsta (co-written), She Was Lovin' Me (co-written) and Slave to the Rhythm make 7.

We don't know for sure about Blue Gangsta and She Was Lovin' Me. Michael might get writting credits but both Freeze and Cory Rooney said that they wrote the songs for MJ. Slave To The Rhythm is written by Babyface & L.A. Reid, not MJ.

Last edited:

"Place With No Name - samples Way You Make Me Feel". Why?

"Place With No Name - samples Way You Make Me Feel". Why?

I hope that is not true... - Why would they ever sample the song with an old MJ song - and a song that really not fits APWNN at all!??

"There was an air of surprise at the quality but I think that's because of the previous album and also the fact people like Timbaland were involved who can be quite hit and miss.
I am not a Bruno Mars fan AT ALL but I could easily imagine him releasing some of these tracks and having huge success, just a shame Michael's unlikely to get much airplay."

I do loves me a bit of Bruno....

"Also was delighted that there doesn't seem to be many parts with 'extra vocals' from impersonators or session singers apart from one or two small parts."

Probably a lie about "small parts". We all know that all songs have complete vocals. Only fans can recognize if it is MJ or impersonator. He thought because MICHAEL had impersonator that this one will have it too. Ignorant random dude, not a fan.

when might we get a preview of the songs? any idea?

I really really really hope that isn't true about APWNN. I can't see why they would do that? :(

I'm so excited!! The reviews are amazing! Makes me even more hungry for the album!

Someone said Slave on the album sounds exactly like the Xperia ad, too bad cause I wanted the drums to have more of a kick to it

I really really hope this album will get GREAT reviews.

Both by fans and critics. (but fans are the most important - hope we will all enjoy it)

Someone said "Slave " sounds like the xperia ad. If that's the case it's a bit of a letdown cause the drums on that should have more of a kick to it. Michael always used kicks on drums or most of the time

I hope that is not true... - Why would they ever sample the song with an old MJ song - and a song that really not fits APWNN at all!??
Could have to do with the fact that both have a shuffle rhythm. Either they sampled it, or the author just confused the term 'sampling' with something like 'being reminiscent of'.

It was done before with Hollywood Tonight of course (Throwback mix).

A place with no name samples TWYMF because it's inspired by the Spino remix of the song base which works around the 30 second snippet with that songs sampling

Hilary Fox ?@FforFox 13h Some good tracks on #MichaelJackson album. 1st track (unsure of title) v disco. Gangster was a stand out track...

Hilary Fox ?@FforFox 13h
There's a track on the new #MichaelJackson album #Xscape called Do You Know Where Your Children Are - Too controversial for release before?

Hilary Fox ?@FforFox 13h
Strong 90s R&B vibe on new #MichaelJackson album. New production, but deluxe edition will have original demos of tracks - so a must for fans

Hilary Fox ?@FforFox 13h
By the way, that was the first listening party for the #MichaelJackson album. People were trepidatious at first but overall liked the tracks

The fear of some people about putting DYKWYCA on the album is very small minded. The lyrics of the song just go to prove that MJ deeply cared about the welfare of children. The exact opposite of what everybody is afraid people will think after hearing it for some reason. I don't get it. Is it because they are scared of a few stupid jokes by a few complete morons about the song title? Big deal.

Back