Greatest hits : a way to collect your favorite MJ songs on one CD or just a rip off ?

hyptronicmusic

Proud Member
Hi MJJ Community

I didn't follow MJ's greatest hits releases lately but now I've redthere was another greatest hits CD to be released called King Of Pop

In My Opinion I really think this is a rip off it disgusts me how record labels are using MJ's name just to get more money .

Fans who are buying this album are supporting the rip off system of the record label who's releasing this .

Let's take a look at the list of Greatest Hits albums :

- 2001 : Greatest Hits - HIStory Volume I
- 2003 : Number Ones
- 2005 : The Essential Michael Jackson
- 2006 : Visionary : the video singles ( a friendly rip off ; like fans don't know the History volume 1 & 2 dvd's are available as a DVD )
- 2008 : King Of Pop

Feel free to add more greatest hits albums in case I forgot some.
Do you guys think this is a way for the fans to collect MJ's greatest hits or do you think it's just a rip off because MJ fans are known as the most loyal fans in the world

Take Care

its only a rip off if you buy it when u dont want it. if that makes sense lol i dont buy them cause im not a collector and see no point when its songs i already have. the songs make money for mj and if it gets him one more fan who then goes out and buys other albums then its good. so in other words i dont care and i dont see the mass of G.hits that othersrs talk about all releases have been at significant times where releasing something is good business sense

You don't have to own all of his albums to be a Michael Jackson fan. You buy the stuff you want. If you're a collector I bet every album release is like a new treat.

Prince have a lot of Greatest Hits albums too. Many of the same songs are on each album. It's just the way it is, I guess. They wouldn't have released them if they knew it wasn't gonna sell ;)

The Essential Michael Jackson 2 is coming up and two new greatest hits from his motown time. RIP OFF!!!

I think we are gonna see alot more of them because . . .

1- They are cheap to put together

2- They are a quick way to make a few bucks

3- They ALWAYS sell well (Top 5 in the UK is bloody brilliant)

4- It convinces SONY that Michael is still popular

5- It reminds people of how GREAT MJ is . . and paves the way for a comeback

you left out The Ultimate Michael Jackson Collection :) and there is the re-release of the entire Thriller Disc... also don't leave out that fact that the latest, 'King Of Pop Best of CD', is being released in numerous versions, per continent :yes:

If one doesn't want them and doesn't purchase them... it is not a rip off.

I think we are gonna see alot more of them because . . .

1- They are cheap to put together

2- They are a quick way to make a few bucks

3- They ALWAYS sell well (Top 5 in the UK is bloody brilliant)

4- It convinces SONY that Michael is still popular

5- It reminds people of how GREAT MJ is . . and paves the way for a comeback

Or maybe people will start thinking Michael lost his cool by always releasing his old stuff
It's great but when MJ says the best is yet to come then I don't think he's talking about the Essential Michael Jackson 2

it's a rip off - boycott 'king of pop'.

it's not an anti-michael statement. it's an anti-laziness and anti-sony statement. new music or nothing please.

I see it as cruel and unusual punishment for a MJ Fan ...

For the term 'rip off' to apply, they would have to represent it as something other than what it is. They make it clear for each release, that the disc is full of Hits. I have not noticed SONY or Mike holding a gun to anyone's head, forcing them to buy the ish. No children are in danger if we don't buy it :lol:

If you don't think the disc(s) are worth your hard earned money ... leave them in the shop and enjoy the format of the tracks that you already own :)

its only a rip off if you buy it when u dont want it. if that makes sense lol i dont buy them cause im not a collector and see no point when its songs i already have. the songs make money for mj and if it gets him one more fan who then goes out and buys other albums then its good. so in other words i dont care and i dont see the mass of G.hits that othersrs talk about all releases have been at significant times where releasing something is good business sense

It's only a rip-off if you paid for something and got less than yopu paid for. it isn't a rip-off if you knowingly and consciously and voluntarily walk in the shop and buy the stuff and get what you payed for. So no, no rip off. If you don't want it then don't buy it.:doh:

Or maybe people will start thinking Michael lost his cool by always releasing his old stuff
It's great but when MJ says the best is yet to come then I don't think he's talking about the Essential Michael Jackson 2

Most of the public are oblivious to all these re-release . . . .its only us fans that make a big deal out of them because we want to know all about MJ etc

These re-releases stay on the shelves for a few weeks and then most stores dont stock them after that

If you don't think the disc(s) are worth your hard earned money ... leave them in the shop and enjoy the format of the tracks that you already own :)

You know, That is exactly what I done today.. I had the Cd in hand even got as far as the counter then looked over the track list and thought to myself i'm not buying this, Never thought I would do that but I did think I have other things my money could be used on right now so put it back :bugeyed :fear:

If you feel it's a rip-off, don't buy it especially if you have five collections of the same stuff. I promised myself after T25 not to buy anymore old MJ and I haven't. And besides only reasons I got T25 was the booklet and my THRILLER SE copy skipping.

Most of the public are oblivious to all these re-release . . . .its only us fans that make a big deal out of them because we want to know all about MJ etc

These re-releases stay on the shelves for a few weeks and then most stores dont stock them after that

oh trust me, the public are in no way oblivious! we are oblivious to the fact that the public are not oblivious, they know MJ is releasing these greatests hits over and over again!

I kinda understand the frustration of all these Greatest hits been released over the years.
It wouldnt harm SONY at all to release some Unreleased songs.I think one of the best release's in the past 10 years was "The Ultimate Collection" that was a real treat and well worth every single penny,now if SONY Decided to release a part 2 to that I would so get it!!
How i see it is whether its a Re-Release,Repackaging,Remastering Etc I will always Support My Artist and Buy a few Copies Because of the Michael Jackson name!!!

The commercial for it just came on and now I feel bad not getting it today! :no: Omg! :lol: I'll be getting it LOL! It's doing well in the UK charts so I want to contribute to that at least :D

An overkill yes but a rip off no. I sometimes buy greatest hits albums if there is any songs on it that I don´t already have.

Yes I think it does get abit of a slight rip off considering theres the same songs i've got god knows how many times over, I brought the Number ones, The essential, The Ultimate collection,. But not the King of Pop album because theres only so many times you can have the same songs on different CDs.
The idea behind the new cd was good and different but it wasn't enough to convience me to buy it :(
:)

i have got the australian version off ebay loads of bonus tracks
got the hots
in the back

I love the commercial but I still aint gonna buy it :D

A GIGANTIC RIP OFF by an infamous Record Company!!!

The artist, Mike Jax, is worth every penny, but seriously, the people behind the curtain are NOT!

Also, you have left out some of the "greatest hits" re-releases in your list. Here, let me help you out:

HISTORY album (Disk 1 was a collection of the back catalog)
HIStory Greatest Hits Vol. 1
Thriller Remastered circa 2001
Bad Remastered circa 2001
Off the Wall Remastered circa 2001
Dangerous Remastered circa 2001
MJ Video Greatest Hits HIStory DVD circa 2001
Number Ones
The One (DVD)
The Essential Jacksons
The Ultimate Collection Box Set (I loved this one cause it contained a lot of unreleased music)
Michael Jackson Live In Bucharest Dangerous Tour DVD
The Essential Michael Jackson
Visionary: The Video Singles Box Set (Dual Disc)
(Let's not forget the singles that were re-released from the above box set)
Off The Wall/Thriller Double Disc CD Circa 2004
Bad/Dangerous Double Disc CD Circa 2004
Thriller 25th Anniversary (2008)
King of Pop (2008)
Michael Jackson Gold (2008)

Uh..... See a pattern here?

I made a promise to myself in 2008. I said, I was NOT buying one more re-release unless it contained a minimum of 50% unreleased music. So, I don't care what PH-ony puts out, I am not buying it unless it contains new material. PERIOD.

You want my money? Ya gotta release stuff I don't already own!

All they are doing is devaluing the man's catalog! After they are done rereleasing the hell out of it, nobody will want to buy it when the masters finally revert back to Mike.

Michael's raising money to fund the new album, support the cause. :D
lol

Michael's raising money to fund the new album, support the cause. :D
lol

Let's help the people behind the curtain out and come up with some NEW album names for the rereleases they are going to put out in 2009 and beyond. Ready? Let's go. I'll start.

King of Pop B sides
Dangerously Bad (Dangerous & Bad combined onto one Super CD)
Off the Wall - 30th Anniversary
Bad 25
History Repeats (History album rereleased)
Blood on the Dancefloor Again
Invincible to the Nth Degree (INvincinble rerelease with ONE unreleased song)
Thriller30
Thriller35
Thriller40
Bad30
Off The Wall40
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet (Ultimate Collection Rereleased & Remastered)
Shamone (Bad Tour Live)
Smooth Criminal Blu Ray
Captain EO on Blu Ray (it might come with little 3D eyeglasses)

Common, ya'll. Let's help the record company out.

Last edited:
Super huge rip off...

But i still buy them because i love Michael too much not to... I feel guilty if i don't (That's bad i know...)

Back