Is Invincible a good album ?

Is Invincible a Good Album

• Yes

Votes: 306 92.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 7.6%

• Total voters
It is a good album. But it is really... different than other MJ albums - it's not a classic MJ album. It is ahead of its time I believe. And it is too long. BTW, can't believe someone above listed Unbrekable, Whatever Happens and Threatened as weak - IMO those are some of the strongest on the album.

I believe , now I say it is my opinion only that it should have been without a few tracks , and that some tracks needed to be redone. But then again,some of them really have their own magic - So you can't say that the album isn't inovative- it's just whether it's your cup of tea. It may be repetitive at times ,but I believe that it is cause of the bad tracklist.

First three songs , which I love btw, strike you as similar,but they are really good - Unbreakable is a powerful opener, Heartbreaker is I believe the fastest MJ song ever and it's got the cool beatboxing and Invincible is really modern. Break of Dawn and Heaven Can Wait took me a while to distinguish cause of the similar theme and smoothness. YRMW is a pure jewel IMO. Butterflies is so soulful and r'n'b. Speechless I used to find pretty "Disney" but my God... listen to the song on your headphones and turn it up. I guarantee you will be dwelling with tears. It's Michael speaking from his soul. A Capella. Just his voice. I realized this only a few days ago. It's magic. It is a cocky song - but it's Michael and that's why it is wonderful. And it's based on Michael's voice only for a large part of the song - again something new. Then comes 2000 Watts,even though I am not a fan is something that you might find on the new Black Eyed Peas album. You Are My Life - I personally don't like this song ,but it has some nice harmonies at the end and it's for his kids I believe. Privacy is my least fav MJ song I think but it has the amazing camera flash as the main beat of the song - isn't that original as hell?! Don't Walk Away may be yet another ballad but what is really good about this song is that its chorus so to say basically starts almost at the end. It just should have been more "produced" add a few more instruments to make it more complete. Maybe Michael wanted to achieve a minimalistic sound approach here. I am not an expert in music but I do like to extinguish some stuff :)
Cry was supposed to be this decade's MITM. It may not be that original I must admit but it has a very good message - and the sentence "If we all cry at the same time tonight" - connected with the video ... Inspiring. The Lost Children ... Hmm... Shouldn't have been put next to Cry - again the problem with bad track listing. The song would have had a bigger impact if Cry were earlier on the album I believe. Whatever Happens - a style Michael had never done before. And it's got his deep voice. It is a sin that this song was never a single. Such a shame. And it is on its perfect spot at the album. Just like Threatened. The beat may be similar to the first 3 songs - but that's the main thing in Invincible .(just like the New Jack Swing stuff on Dangerous WYWTOM, SDMW and ICLHGA are really similar when stripped down to the beat only) . What makes Threatened so special is the beginning and the end of the song. Turn it up and you will hear a bird croak at the start, a spooky atmosphere and then BAM! This Is It showed the song at its full potential. It's bumpy, it makes you wanna move. And then the rap made of the speaking of "whatshisname" guy from Twilight Zone (can't remember really :( ) ... Pure genius of an idea.

So all in all - No. Invincible is not a bad album. It just didn't live up to MJ's standards. Had there been a better promotion, videos,tour which would have been Goddamn amazing - Invincible would have been a classic - despite its terrible tracklist and too much songs.

P.S. If it were me, I would have taken away Heaven Can Wait, The Lost Children, You Are My Life and Privacy and put it We've Had Enough and Escape. Let's say. Just giving an opinion so don't hate ;)

Last edited:
But with sampled you might meant that it sounds like Unbreakable is just a sampled loop that goes over and over again? (that actually make sense)

Yes that is EXACTLY what I meant to say with sampled.. like a loop playing over and over.
Your comments on dangerous are spot on. BTW it is also my favorite album. :)

P.S. If it were me, I would have taken away Heaven Can Wait, You Are My Life and Privacy and put it We've Had Enough and Escape. Let's say. Just giving an opinion so don't hate ;)

yes in my opnion BOTDF and invincible should have been 1 album together 1CD! Take those 3-4 songs out from invinclbe and put in BOTDF, Morphine and Ghosts in there and it would have been pure dynamite!

. Speechless I used to find pretty "Disney" but my God... listen to the song on your headphones and turn it up. I guarantee you will be dwelling with tears. It's Michael speaking from his soul. A Capella. Just his voice

yes I also said the same thing. That "Disney" thing you describe is MJ in his purest music form and which is why I think Speechless is most MJ-ish song on invincble. Of course it is no wonder that no other producers worked on it...

Last edited:
yes in my opnion BOTDF and invincible should have been 1 album together 1CD! Take those 3-4 songs out from invinclbe and put in BOTDF, Morphine and Ghosts in there and it would have been pure dynamite!

Without Is It Scary? That has to be one of the best songs he ever made.

BTW, can't believe someone above listed Unbrekable, Whatever Happens and Threatened as weak - IMO those are some of the strongest on the album.

You Are My Life - I personally don't like this song ,but it has some nice harmonies at the end and it's for his kids I believe.

P.S. If it were me, I would have taken away Heaven Can Wait, The Lost Children, You Are My Life and Privacy and put it We've Had Enough and Escape. Let's say. Just giving an opinion so don't hate ;)

If you're referring to my post, then what I meant with "stand-out songs" is that they stand out on the album - that they are what I think most people would appreciate to be a songs that are above average :)
"It stands out from the crowd"

Hehe, I love "You Are My Life", it's my second favourite song after "Heaven Can Wait" - and I also love "The Lost Children", so screw you for wanting to take them off :p :lol:
I'd love to hear a finalized version of We've Had Enough instead of Privacy though.
I could exchange some other song for "Shout" also, to get a difference in the contrast of the album.

I love it, it's not the MJ we were used to but he was experimenting and it worked. I'm sure it will stand through time as a great album despite it's average reviews at the time.

Speechless - need I say more :wub:
:clapping:

To be honest I didn’t like it to begin with. It was different and not like all other Hip Hop & RnB or Latino inspired music that was popular during that time. But when I really started to listen to every song I found Speechless & Unbreakable I just loved it. I even like 2000Watts just imagine what a show it would be if he would start the 3D part of his show with you may now apply your 3D glasses … And all the effects they could have to that song. It’s a great Album. In a radio interview they asked MJ if God would give you one last chance to sing what song would it be? He said he could not choose because there are so many Like Heal The World, Will you be there and so on but If I could pick three songs just like that now it would be Heal The World, Speechless last but not least he said Unbreakable. If I remember correctly these where the songs It was so MJ to ask for Healing the world then say he is Speechless before he leaves tell us all that he is Unbreakable. :cry:

I LOVE:

*Speechless
*Cry
*You Rock My World
* Break of Dawn
*Whatever Happens
*You Are My Life

I agree with people here who said that its different than other MJ albums. I love it so much..more love and calm songs. This album is definitely more mature.

I love this album.

Speechless and Whatever Happens :wub: I love those two songs so much.

I think it's very underrated. I just love it :) But then, I love every album by Mikey :p

If you're referring to my post, then what I meant with "stand-out songs" is that they stand out on the album - that they are what I think most people would appreciate to be a songs that are above average :)
"It stands out from the crowd"

Hehe, I love "You Are My Life", it's my second favourite song after "Heaven Can Wait" - and I also love "The Lost Children", so screw you for wanting to take them off :p :lol:
I'd love to hear a finalized version of We've Had Enough instead of Privacy though.
I could exchange some other song for "Shout" also, to get a difference in the contrast of the album.

No,egocentric b!tch, I wasn't referring to you lol :D

But I do agree with you on WHE and Shout.

Of course it's a good album! Definitely way too underrated.
In my opinion the track order could be little different (especially the first 3 songs kind of sounds the same..) but there are beautiful, beautiful songs on that album.

So sad that important musical cronicals were not written then in a good way about Invincible!

I first listen entirely this year, sadly again after June (I try not to even mention that day, if it's not stricty required).
That weekend we decided to left home and went for a trip in mountains, looking for some old churces ain't seen until then. If we were to stay at home, sure we were to cry too hard.
So we took two albums with us:Thriller 25 and Invincible.

I will never-ever, and ever forget those days.
Landscape extremely wild, hudge fir tree and oak forrests, old houses, deep silence. Like going back in the past.
Between some cages where we found it supossely lived a deity, Zalmoxes, after the Dac people lost the battle with the Romans, after 105 AC. No modern signs and no commercials.

We sang all the way. To the departure it was Thriller. I suggest you to listen Human Nature in a sunset, on large space.
But after we already had our souls filled with such new experience, wildlife and nature, we listened Invincible to the way back home.
These song took us to somewhere higher than expected. I saw clearly that the album is well controlled, is rising from song to song. Starts in force with a statement (Unbreakable), strong rhytm, but not extreme melody.
Grows with more music in song 2 and 3 (Heartbreaker and Invincible) and is definetely mature in Break of Dawn. This is a peak, holding strong the whole listener.

If you are already here, a song for Heaven, and sure goes higher with You Rock My World. It's a higher peak, even so would be enough for a #1 album.

But no, then your soul is overwhelmed as in making love to you in Butterflies.

And much more higher in Speachless. It's a song for all the senses, touches every detail inside you, is a must-listen for every beginner about music. And as wouldn't be enough, he says but in your presence I'm lost for words!

And love goes higher, in an energetic mood: 2000 Watts. His voice is like a teenager, unbeleivable. He gives you energy. (I am gonna take you to the next level)
When giving this all, an explanation: You Are My Life. Melody says be patient, trust me, we are going to be higher.
Yes higher with Privacy, strong and vulnerable in the same time: you try to get me to lose the man I really am. Need to understand that I have to figh every day. Be with me.

And after those struggles, please stay: Don't Walk Away. Comes closer to the soul, calling again for trust: should I get down on my knees and pray?

Cry is again higher, is an anthem. For awakeind, gathering, helping, giving all together: I can't do it by myself.
A total song, tells everything.

And if you feel the end is coming, please enjoy (taste, smell, dream, imagine, remember) some complete music: Lost Children. OMG, how much more was there undiscovered and Michael took it into the light? Extremely melodics, a journey by herself.

But I really believe that the real peak, the top of the mountains, is Whatever Happens. Is music pure, extraordinary guitar, fear and hope, voice at the best, taking us with him forever. Here is what he intented to go with him. Long enough to have you totally surrending. (Thank you man, says Santana. But Michael says Thank You = you helped me get here).

And open your eyes if you trust me again for the last time here, you should be threatened by me.

For me invincible is music at the extreme, at the boundary, at the beggining of trust and understanding. And being together in peace.
Remember Michael when saying You ain't seen nothing yet? You know what I mean?

Have a wonderful day!

It is a piece of art! It has some of the best vocals on it! Plus,Michael tried some new and different things on this album,which I like a lot!I mean look at Whatever Happens! That is not really the type of song that you would expect to hear from Michael,but it is incredible! :)

I'd like to know the 2 people that said this wasnt' a good album. In fact, it's a great album! Yes, it is underrated and was undermarketed by Sony. I still say that there were at least 8 songs on this album that should have been top 5 hits if not #1s. Only two made it to the top spot: Rock My World and Butterflies before the MJ vs. Sony battle happened. It should have been re-released years ago IMO.

I love Invincible. Privacy, 2000 Watts, Unbreakable, Threatened and Cry are some of the best songs he ever did.

My biggest gripe with Invincible is the tracklisting. It's all in the wrong order. It starts off too heavy and the end had to many ballads. He should have spread them around better :doh:

Otherwise, i love it!

I LOVE Invincible! It's my favorite MJ album of all time. I think it's very personal and intimate album. I love his maturity, moving lyrics and beautiful music. I love what Michael does with his voice. Amazing! I like that this album is so diverse. I must admit that I was surprised when I first listened to it but I fell in love with this album...

... and I discover something new almost every day .. words, sounds, rhythm ... I can listen to this album over and over... over and over... This album... it's a big part of him. :wub:

good result !

In France, this album is not so loved...

the same Poll shows that only 81 % think it's a good album...

It really is underrated and Sony could do a much better job with the marketing if they even did anything for this Album.

Invincible is a very unique album due to the style Michael sang, teenagers are more with this album, its so underrated, few people can see how great and tune Michael sounded there ..

at 1 point it was my favourite but i remember someone saying to me 'if thats ur fave album your not a proper fan or lover of his music lol...' oh yea makes sense duh... :)

Back