MJ: His Death Has Been His Greatest Comeback

*Billie Jean*

Proud Member
Sorry if this has been posted before! Just thought I'd share:

MICHAEL JACKSON: HIS DEATH HAS BEEN THE GREATEST COMEBACK
By Nadine Sutherland
Friday, January 08, 2010

I am the coolest aunt in the world; I would even say the coolest adult around town. That, you see, is the perceptions of the kids I was dancing with recently. It was Ashleigh's birthday (my younger cousin /niece) and a posse of four to ten year olds and I were dancing to Michael Jackson's videos. I earned high marks that I was up on the moves. They thought it was pretty amazing that I was moving through Billy Jean, Beat It, Thriller, to name a few, and that all the dance moves that they just learnt, I have known now, for more than half my life. I've laughed to myself at their compliments, thinking I've been doing these moves since I was a teenager.

They are the new generation of Michael Jackson fans. One common thread united us in that room, we were fans, albeit from different generations.
A new generation of Michael fan has emerged since his passing. These kids are hip on technology, and, as we researched people and places when doing project back in the days, by reading books , they are youtubing and whatever other internet stuff, to get information. His videos are now the books; each song has its own unique little movie and the kids are loving it. I think the profound loss that was felt when he died and the media frenzy that followed, has served as the platform for his introduction to children and they are enjoying what they have discovered.

The zealousness of these young ladies as we danced and sang matched mine, the light and excitement in their eyes gave me an insight on how my eyes were at that moment. The kind of concentration on their faces as they tried to catch the zombie moves during Thriller reminded me of back in the days when me and my girls were adamant that we were going to learn it so we could use it in one of our dances.

In September, I was in New York, and it was my nephew Naseem's birthday. His mother told me since Michael has passed, both Naseem who is seven and Alanyah, who was then almost two were Michael Jackson's fans. So, for Naseem's birthday, I thought buying a CD for him, would be giving me some Aunty kudos. I bought a double disc that chronicled Michael's music from childhood to Off the Wall. I approached Naseem giving him a grand lecture, that looking back, I chuckle at my desperate attempt of trying too hard. With great ceremony, I announced that Michael was the same age as he is now, when he made some of these songs, and I went on and on. Naseem looked at it and he went straight to his computer and pressed something, and all of Michael Jackson's videos that were on youtube was right on the screen. He could access any one of them with one press on his computer.

His cousin Chance was there, and yes he is a Michael Jackson fan too, he is six. They took me from Michael Jackson as a child with the Jackson five, to everything else in his life that was captured on film, that could be shown on Youtube. It was an incredible experience to see this man through these children's eyes. We had a danceathon, when some of the videos were shown, I had to change in work out clothes as we sweated with each of the children's favorites. Things I failed to see in the videos were seen by these children seeing it with fresh eyes. I've been seeing Remember the time video for so long, and I didn't notice some of the stuff, until Naseem and Chance with enthusiasm pointed out some of the details.

I started seeing from then, the ads for This is it, and I knew no matter where I was, I would be seeing this. I wanted to see if I could figure out what was it about this man that was so compelling, and fascinating to so many different generations. I knew he was talented, but, my respect for his talent increased after his death, especially how the kids with fresher, and keener eyes are seeing him.

This generation is very visual, and I can say, Michael was way ahead of his time, as all his videos have captured the imagination of the children. His dancing, is timeless, his iconic moves for each video, excites these children to a level that no modern act today is doing.

The movie was the piece in the missing puzzle. I saw a master at work, a man in control with every aspect of his performance. He was a perfectionist, and his creativity was out of this realm. I saw that his man was influenced by so many different things artistically, and by life in general, and in him it converged, and merged, becoming one melting pot , that became his uniqueness. As a friend of mine said, who saw the movie, "Genius is hard work".

Michael was disciplined, and dedicated to his craft. He was committed to his purpose, and everyone that was in that production had that kind of commitment. Everyone chosen to do the This is it tour had that little something extra about them. He was mindful of these details, and that made everything I saw at a level of excellence. Everything that appeared effortless , to the audience, were thought out, and rehearsed until it was second nature.

It has reenforced to me, that putting everything in your chosen field, and making excellence, the standard you maintain, will ensure that all boundaries will surpass, even years, as quality speaks. It also reenforced to me, age is but a number, as Michael was up on his dancing, as smooth and agile as the twenty five year olds who were dancing with him

I left the theatre feeling happy, the group of women, that I went with all thought we would be sobbing by the end of the show. We all left pleased , sharing different moments that we enjoyed. I know, I've been very passionate publicly in what I thought were the abuses meted out to Michael. I felt angry at how he was treated. Today, I feel vindicated. His death has been the greatest comeback. Good is definitely stronger than evil.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/THIS-IS-IT_7310964

I'm sorry I could not say the same... :cry:

I don't even care if Michael never made a 'comeback' into the industry anymore if he could have live to see his children grow and experience life again.

I'm sorry I could not say the same... :cry:

I don't even care if Michael never made a 'comeback' into the industry anymore if he could have live to see his children grow and experience life again.
I agree. I believe he was going to tour this one more time and then retire from tours (this is the reason for the "this is it" title). I still wish he would have named these shows something else.

This article is good but what bugs me is when they talk about the movie. There is nothing new about it or anything that is shown that was not shown in the past. These people who say they are now a fan or become a fan again really gets to me. Where were you in the past? All of this was shown to know Mj was good and a kind person who worked hard.

His death has been the greatest comeback.

I am sorry, but I HATE HATE HATE when people say things like that. Before Michael was an entertainer, he was a PERSON. And he lived his life and then he was murdered. Who cares about records and dvds??? Michael the PERSON is not here anymore.

his death? :cry:.. i can't even believe he is.. :unsure: :mellow:..
what the..? :/

I disagree. He never left. He would have improved an elevated his status as the greatest. With his concerts and movies and animation projects. Also developing new artist and yes eventually doing a family thing again with all the Jackson family. All along MJ was the person he always was people just refused to see it.

This article is good but what bugs me is when they talk about the movie. There is nothing new about it or anything that is shown that was not shown in the past. These people who say they are now a fan or become a fan again really gets to me. Where were you in the past? All of this was shown to know Mj was good and a kind person who worked hard.
I know , I can't stand any of the new fans to be honest how you jumped on board all of a sudden is crazy to me. What's the point ? you didn't care before don't pretend you care now

i'd say uninterested and dull audience sometimes come back to appreciate real talent,not the other way around....real talent is always there

I am sorry, but I HATE HATE HATE when people say things like that. Before Michael was an entertainer, he was a PERSON. And he lived his life and then he was murdered. Who cares about records and dvds??? Michael the PERSON is not here anymore.
I, too, wouldn't even care if he decided to retire from music entirely, at least I'd know that he is alive somewhere breathing the same air in the same world as I.

I don't care how many more records he will continue to break, Michael is still gone.

And These "media" people are not new fans, they are just superficial suck ups to me.

I know , I can't stand any of the new fans to be honest how you jumped on board all of a sudden is crazy to me. What's the point ? you didn't care before don't pretend you care now

How is that so crazy? What makes 'new fans' worse than 'old fans'? That doesn't make sense to me. I was born in 1987 and my earliest Michael Jackson memory is Dangerous. 1991 would be over 20 years since he had been a prominent force in the music industry. Does that make me any less than a fan? I'd like to better understand your point of view.

To the average fan, the movie is something new. Not everyone has seen the Dangerous tour rehearsals or the Making of Thriller etc. The average fan only sees the final outcome of all of the hard work. The fact that the movie was unscripted, and included footage of his last day on earth of life made it very intriguing.

How is that so crazy? What makes 'new fans' worse than 'old fans'? That doesn't make sense to me. I was born in 1987 and my earliest Michael Jackson memory is Dangerous. 1991 would be over 20 years since he had been a prominent force in the music industry. Does that make me any less than a fan? I'd like to better understand your point of view.

I think "new" is meant "after June 25".

Disclaimer: Some of you are gonna be upset if you don't read the whole thing. I ask that you read it all before you choose to reply to anything I've said.

"His Death has been his greatest comeback"

I disagree with the wording, but I agree with the general premise. I believe that NOTHING would have vindicated Mike more than death. As spectacular as the This Is It shows could've been and as incredible as the album he was working on could've been, it would not have been enough.

Over the years, Michael Jackson has become the punchline to numerous jokes and been looked at as nothing more than a weird, plastic surgery obsessed, used to be black and is now white child molester. In the court of public opinion, he was guilty when the 1993 accuser's family took the $20 million (I know the insurance paid 15 million and not the 20 thats widely reported, but let me make my point). No matter how weak the Arvizo case was, most people thought "again? he must be guilty." The slanted media attention did not help at all. I'm not sure how it was in other countries, but here in America, this is how it was. The overall thought seemed to be, "he made good music at one time BUT...." What followed would be anything negative, regardless of if it was true or not.

Fast forward to June 25, 2009. Many fans' excitement had been building since the announcement of the shows. Fans were making travel plans, buying new outfits, and expressing their excitement to see Michael again. The general public knew that there were shows coming up, but didn't care much. He's just a 50 year old broke weirdo that needed the money to get out of his 400 million dollar debt. There had been very little positive reporting about him in over 20 years. Why should they believe he was going to do anything spectacular?

Then he died.

Death has a way of bringing the positive to the forefront. The most positive thing about Michael Jackson's professional life is his music, his short films and his performances. Everyone knew who Michael Jackson was. What his death did was force people to remember why everyone gave a damn about him in the first place. All he wanted to do was make music and perform on stage. In the weeks after his death, we were bombarded with all of his videos and singles over the course of a 40 year career. His songs were all over the radio and his short films were plastered on all of the music channels. Add that to the fact that there was footage of what he had been doing leading up to his death. Creating new performances, creating new short films and creating new music. That's why people cared about him in the first place.

With all of the technology that is available, it is easier than ever to access anything. Just youtube it. Youtube suggest other videos for you to watch. This may lead people to watch videos that the average consumer forgot about or didn't know exist. The Thriller video could lead to Remember The Time, which could lead to Earth Song which could lead to In The Closet.... When something is widely reported or is constantly around, it feeds public interest. His death did just that.

His death was not his greatest comeback, because he never left. I believe his death was his greatest resurgence. It was his return to prominence. Once again, it was all about the music, the short films and the performances.

This is sad but true. Everyone realizes how special he was after it's too late.-_-

i don't personally care for the term 'comeback' after death either, im glad the world was moved with his passing, granted..., but legends or sometimes any celebrity tend to get hyped up after death in general....folks are morbid sadly. The point is MJ was a living legend, comeback or not, many celebs don't have such a title. so naysayers, haters can move to the left! x

It's crazy because people should have supported and show respect while he was ALIVE not when he died all of a sudden everyone adore him. I became a fan of him in 2001 and yes maybe that was late to some but I was 14 at the time and was mostly raise on janet but still knew who he was but became a diehard in 01 and I was a fan throughout that martin interview and the trial and those years were not good probably why I take offense to people jumping on board all of a sudden lol .And I know there was alot of people like myself who was still fan's of him but michael was treated terrible in his last years and all this loving is B.S. The respect he's shown now is expected because he left a legacy but it should have been shown more when he was here.I could care less if he never toured again.

It's crazy because people should have supported and show respect while he was ALIVE not when he died all of a sudden everyone adore him. I became a fan of him in 2001 and yes maybe that was late to some but I was 14 at the time and was mostly raise on janet but still knew who he was but became a diehard in 01 and I was a fan throughout that martin interview and the trial and those years were not good probably why I take offense to people jumping on board all of a sudden lol .And I know there was alot of people like myself who was still fan's of him but michael was treated terrible in his last years and all this loving is B.S. The respect he's shown now is expected because he left a legacy but it should have been shown more when he was here.I could care less if he never toured again.

I get what you are saying. I've been a lifetime fan myself but it is a good side to it also. At least they finally see what we have seen all along. Still damn them though. **while laughing**

I think that all of us MJ fans knew that, sadly, what will benefit MJ's image and solidify his status as the greatest was death. As painful at it is, I always knew that death, which is the worst that can happen the MJ, his family and his fans, was the best for his legend because of the extensive damage that was inflicted on his image by those who didn't like his unprecedented success. Rest In Peace Michael. They didn't know how invaluable you are until they couldn't have you anymore.

All I know is that the pain that I felt and that I'm still feeling is very real just like I lost somebody I really known.
No matter how many records he sold after his passing, it doesn't make me feel any better.
Just like some other people here said: MJ doing nothing but caring for his kids and having fun would've made me happy enough.
I wish he never tried to do those TII concerts.......

I agree with all of you guys. What I don't get is why now they (the media) want to be nice to him. Why didn't they treat him well when he was actually here to appreciate it?! I always knew this would happen tho, I knew the day he died the media and haters would change their tune and start talking about how great he was. Hypocrites. :( If you can't support or honor someone in life, why do it in death?

Back