2010 Video Music Awards

Lady Gaga and Cher help lift MTV's Video Music Awards telecast to best ratings in 8 years

September 13, 2010 | 2:28 pm

Critics may have frowned at the program and host Chelsea Handler, but Sunday's VMA Awards telecast on MTV still drew the show's best ratings in eight years.

An average of 11.4 million viewers tuned in to the two-hour telecast, a 27% increase over last year, according to the Nielsen Co. It was the ceremony's most-watched telecast since 2002 -- the year that Michael Jackson mistakenly accepted the non-existent Artist of the Millennium award -- when 11.9 million viewers showed up.

This year, with the ceremony returning to Los Angeles after taking place in New York last year, online buzz centered on outrageous fashion statements by Lady Gaga (wearing an all-meat dress) and Cher, along with more than a few critical brickbats for first-time host Handler. Reviewers complained that her opening fell flat -- including a skit where Lindsay Lohan lectured her on sobriety -- and contained humor that, according to the Washington Post, fell "a few degrees below crass."

-- Scott Collins

It may have gotten many viewers but I have never heard so many people complain of how boring the show was. .
Last year at least some people seemed entertained. I seriously have not heard one person this year saying "Wow, this was such a great show!"
I don't regret not watching it. The only thing I looked up was the performance from Florence & the machine because I heard some positive things about. (I liked that performance)

Sadly Mtv will probably,like other years have shown, not listen to any of those things and just do the same thing next year thinking that this is the way to get many viewers.

Sad thing really. I just looked up performaces from like 2000/2001/2002 , where has the excitement gone? It used to be fun and big sets and good music.
Also were is the variety? This was a show that would have like Limp Bizkit ,Christina Aguilera, Britney spears and Eminem all in one night. (Not to mention the time Marilyn Manson performed.) You really didn't know what was gonna happen like that.

I guess Mtv has made it clear it isn't about music anymore since they anounced they are taking the "Music" out of their name. Why even continue this show then?
It just makes me a bit sad really because I used to really love watching this show.

Well let's see.... I only show the highlights on the in the newspaper, even on Aol/MSN/Yahoo, & also some of it on entertianment news like: Extra. Even when they show some red capert interview clips son youtube. But I heard that some of the ppl didn't wacth it (or ehiter my firends wacth it at all...)

I thought it was a fun show. It was what you watch the VMAs for. I liked the throwback to smaller gigs at the beginning of Em's performance. Taylor Swift came off like a petty bitch beating a dead horse just to get attention IMO. Kanye stole the show at the end; best performance of the night hands down, and the song he performed sounds like my kinda theme lol.

Anyone else find it annoying when Lady GaGa acts all surprised when she wins something? Lol. She cried at one point. Come on.

God, Kanye's performance was awful, only because he was singing and it was horrible :p

the year that Michael Jackson mistakenly accepted the non-existent Artist of the Millennium award

UGH they piss me off and the worst part was afetr they passed mtv put the picture of MJ on their site and the caption reead Michael Jacksonreceiving the srtist of the millennium award. They tried to make him seem foolish for no reason, i'm glad michael never went back to thoat award show even thought they begged him for years.

Don't tell lies...

Come on, man. Clearly Usher had the best performance of the night because he danced well in a setting exactly the same as the OMG music video. Just admit it. Oh and he wore a pseudo Thriller jacket too; 'twas the most exciting part of the evening! Let's all talk about it endlessly because Usher adding a taste of MJ into his performances is something new and ground-breaking.

Let's have a toast for the assholes! I liked that song :)

Didn't see the show, only snippets here and there. Not so interested in it like the trend seems to be around here..

I didn't watch it, I have a bunch of friends who didn't watch it and my friends who did watch it (and watch the VMAs every year) said that it sucked! That pretty much says it all!

Yes, I did watch the show. I have to say I was very dissapointed.
There was a few good performances.. Eminem was great, but his performance was a bit boring too. Rihanna couldn't sing. And her redass her looks ridicilous and someone needs to tell her that. Taylor Swift... I don't know why she had to bring that thing up with Kanye. It's like, get over it already. Kanye's performance was good overall, it's a catchy song. And sure, it was Gaga's night but when she showed up in that meat dress I went numb. Attention *beep*. Sorry to all you little monsters out there but that was so not cool. Conclusion: The show pretty much sucked IMO.

Back