A quote from Leonard Bernstein on Michael

Cool, thanks maxxx and giddyup, great stuff. I know about the Ali quote giddyup, I thought that was cool and I hope it's real too. I like the quote from Babyface, lol. But it's ture, haha.

Suge Knight on Michael Jackson: I don't want the Imagery,but the Career he has had is what I'd like for a Singer on my label.

Snoop Dogg: the Man and the Myth, He said that Michael is one of his All time favorites. holds him in high regard.

Ice T: you can have the hardest Gangster at a Michael Jackson concert and he will scream like a Bitch when Michael is doing his thing. we grew up on Michael.

One of the best quotes though it still cracks me up: B-Real of Cyprus Hill back in 93: more people smoke Weed than listen to Michael Jackson. I mean that is a Compliment in a Green kind of way.

Kobe Bryant at this year's all star pre game events: it doesn't get bigger than Michael Jackson.

In a interview with(actress/singer) Raven Symone from "Thats So Raven" when asked about her idols:

IML: Who are your role models?

Raven: Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson. No matter what problems they go through, you can't overlook their talent.

Also from "Thats so Raven"(actor/rapper) Orlando brown on his influences:

THE STAR SCOOP:
Who are your musical influences?
BROWN:
On the singing side, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cook, Michael Jackson, Alicia Keys, Usher, everybody on that side. There's one person that stands out on the rap side and that's Tupac.

(Rapper/actor) Bow Wow on celebs he was excited to meet:

TFK: You have met a lot of stars in your career, who were you most excited to meet?
Bow Wow: I met Muhammad Ali. I mean I almost flipped. I wasn't acting like Lil' Bow Wow at all. I was going crazy! Then I saw Michael Jackson. That was like my ultimate dream just to see him in person.

(Comedian/actor) Eddie Griffin on Michael Jackson scandel:

Q: What do you think of what's going on with Michael Jackson and R Kelly?

EG: Well, they rip on R Kelly a lot and his things. But it's ok for Elvis Presley to marry Priscilla when she was 15. Leave Mike the f*** alone. Why you got to torture this dude?

(Singer) Jesse Mcartney asked about what music he listens to:

What tunes are you pumping on your iPod?

There’s a lot of great new music out now. I’m really into Gnarls Barkely and I love the new Justin Timberlake track Sexyback. Of course, I still like to listen to some old music like Journey and vintage Michael Jackson.

In a interview with (rapper) Cilvaringz from Wu tang clan corp:

Is there any artist out of the Wu-Tang camp you feel you would like to work or get affiliated with?
Dr.Dre, Alicia Keys, Michael Jackson. If that ever happens, yall can shoot me after

Future-plans: Is there an artist, which you want to work with in the future? (Like a dream for you, to work with this artist?)
I answered this a few questions back aswell. Dr.Dre, Alicia Keys & Michael Jackson. And I’d love to do a whole album with Focus…

Who would you save if they were both in a burning building on opposite ends, RZA or Michael Jackson?
Haha! That’s a crazy question. I’ll save both my dudes, I’m superman, you ain’t know???

Favorite artist (might or not be Hip Hop):
Michael Jackson

(Fashion Designer) Gareth Pugh on celebs he would like to design for:

I’d really love to do something for someone like Annie Lennox – or Madonna, though it may be stereotypical to say so. My stuff was sent to her to do the Jump music video in Japan.

But Michael Jackson would be quite good, too. I would dress him in a little taster of what’s coming in my September show. He could pick something, or I’d make what he wanted. I wouldn’t charge him.

Good Charlotte guitarist Billy Martin said he likes Michael Jackson.

"I've got every Michael Jackson album, and I still listen to them," Martin said during a telephone interview from -- of all places -- Charlotte, N.C. "He is one of my major musical influences.

Woooh...nice work MJcarousal - thanks for all the quotes! :D

Good Charlotte guitarist Billy Martin said he likes Michael Jackson.

"I've got every Michael Jackson album, and I still listen to them," Martin said during a telephone interview from -- of all places -- Charlotte, N.C. "He is one of my major musical influences.[/b]

Cool. I'm a huge GC fan, and I didn't know Billy wasn't into MJ. But it's nice to know. :D

Jesse McCartney is a little bitch. He's talked MAJOR trash about Michael, so he can shove it up his ass. "Old music?" I guess when your 12 years old, anything over 10 years in age seems "old". Anyway, thanks for the quotes MJCarousal!

Former South African President and freedom fighter NELSON MANDELA had this to say to a Danish magazine:
"Personally , I found strength in Michael Jackson" The former nobel prize winner said that he drew emotional sustenance from Michael Jackson's recording career. "It took great courage to leave the Jackson Five and go solo," Mandela said " I thought to myself, if he had the courage to do that, I, too, must have the will to go on."

I think this is the most AWESOME qoute on this whole thread, need I remind you of Mandela's magnitude? If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be behind a computer or literate enough to operate one.

Former South African President and freedom fighter NELSON MANDELA had this to say to a Danish magazine:
"Personally , I found strength in Michael Jackson" The former nobel prize winner said that he drew emotional sustenance from Michael Jackson's recording career. "It took great courage to leave the Jackson Five and go solo," Mandela said " I thought to myself, if he had the courage to do that, I, too, must have the will to go on."

I think this is the most AWESOME qoute on this whole thread, need I remind you of Mandela's magnitude? If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be behind a computer or literate enough to operate one.[/b]
You're right. For someone like Nelson Mandela to say you're courageous and strong...that really IS something. It's also cute too, referring to Mike leaving the J5. :lol: If Mr. Mandela were around today, seeing the trial and all that rubbish, he would have a chance to see how much stronger Michael really is. :)

You're right. For someone like Nelson Mandela to say you're courageous and strong...that really IS something. It's also cute too, referring to Mike leaving the J5. :lol: If Mr. Mandela were around today, seeing the trial and all that rubbish, he would have a chance to see how much stronger Michael really is. :)[/b]
Hey? Mr Mandela is still alive, he was celebrating his 89th birhtday last month..

Yeah, that is a little strange to use Michael leaving a group to go solo as a sign of strength, lol, I mean, it was kind of a risk, but Michael made that group the success that it was, it was a given that he would make it on his own, even if Michael didn't think so, with that kind of talent there was no way he wouldn't be successful. The things he's been through in the last 15-20 years are a greater example of the kind of strength Michael has, but even still, it's a great quote from Mandela.

BONGANI, you're correct. :) I misread something on wikipedia. My sincerest apologies to Mr. Mandela.

wannabe, that's what kinda surprised me too. It wasn't an uncommon risk, I think. :lol: I wonder what he thinks today of what MJ has just gone through.

I think what Mandela meant was, to leave your brothers ,people you have been with you for so many years to go solo takes courage.He's talking about the ACTUAL DECISION to leave the group.Imagine telling your brothers people who've been cashing in on your talent for such a long time that you're going to do things on your own.Its like when Janet finally decided to fire JOE as her manager.

Shame on you for thinking the most well-known and influential person on earth is no longer with us.His Birthdays aren't much of a BIG DEAL as before,so I don't blame you for believing what you read on Wikipedia. :lol:

Shame on you for thinking the most well-known and influential person on earth is no longer with us.His Birthdays aren't much of a BIG DEAL as before,so I don't blame you for believing what you read on Wikipedia. :lol:[/b]
I do feel ashamed... :blush: The -1999 part I read was about his end of term.
*ahem*. :)
Anyway, now that you mention it, Michael was splitting from his family in a sense by going solo. I didn't think of the family part so yeah, it makes more sense now!

I think this is the most AWESOME qoute on this whole thread, need I remind you of Mandela's magnitude? If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be behind a computer or literate enough to operate one.[/b]
WOW!

You can say that again.This person spent 27 years in jail fighting against oppresion.I respect Nelson Mandela greatly, and for him to say he found courage in my boy was just a cherrie on top.Mandela is friends with many international stars, they make a stop at his house everytime they come down here, so he definetly meant wwhat he said.You must see how much Oprah drops Mandela's name every chance she gets on her show.

Quincy Jones: "Maybe five or eight people have this touch that God put on Michael. Stevie Wonder has it. Barbra Streisand has it. Louie Armstrong has it."

Little Richard: "Michael Jackson is the most complete entertainer I've ever met."

Janet Jackson: "It is impossible to compare us. Michael is a living legend."

"Michael is definitely my biggest influence. I don't think I dance like him though, and if I do to some extent, I can only say that we are brother and sister so the same blood does flow through us, plus we were so close growing up, and we did dance together growing up. But he's an amazing dancer and I don't think I dance anywhere near his ability. He's really an amazing dancer."

FANTASTIC quotes, Giddy :D
Just wow...to have people say those things about you...
How many people would die to have that much respect from your peers.

Wooooo, Oprah Winfrey should hear this. Michael jackson inspired Nelson Mandela. Prah tore into him when he said he got his inspiration from Mandela, Now Madela is saying he got his from MJ. This is brilliant. :flowers:

Thank you for the quotes giddyup. I'd never heard those quotes from Janet, that was big of her to say, because a large part of her appeal is her dancing, at least to her fans, some even try to say she's a better dancer then Michael. So for her to say that she isn't shows a lot of character and humility on her part, and also that he's her biggest inspiration, that says a lot, it shows she can see him as a pure artist and not be clouded by the fact he's her brother, and she can just be in awe of his talent on it's own. That's amazing. You go Janet, lol. Great quotes from Little Richard and Quincy Jones as well.

And yeah Datsymay, Oprah should hear that quote from Mandela, since I do remember her getting so uptight over what Michael said. She's so ignorant.

Thank you for the quotes giddyup. I'd never heard those quotes from Janet, that was big of her to say, because a large part of her appeal is her dancing, at least to her fans, some even try to say she's a better dancer then Michael. So for her to say that she isn't shows a lot of character and humility on her part, and also that he's her biggest inspiration, that says a lot, it shows she can see him as a pure artist and not be clouded by the fact he's her brother, and she can just be in awe of his talent on it's own. That's amazing. You go Janet, lol. Great quotes from Little Richard and Quincy Jones as well.

And yeah Datsymay, Oprah should hear that quote from Mandela, since I do remember her getting so uptight over what Michael said. She's so ignorant.[/b]

What do you mean when you say Oprah is ignorant?

I mean she makes judgements about Michael without knowing the facts.[/b]
True that, did you see how she was trying to paint Michael when Lisa was on the show? I expected more from a person of her calibre..

True that, did you see how she was trying to paint Michael when Lisa was on the show? I expected more from a person of her calibre..[/b]
And the jokes. She practically paves the road for them and encourages them.
With 'friends' like that....

Anyway...

True that, did you see how she was trying to paint Michael when Lisa was on the show? I expected more from a person of her calibre..[/b]

Yeah. She's a real jerk, she has no appreciation for Michael. And Michael's always been so nice to her, he practically made her the super star she is by giving her his first real full length TV interview, I mean, that was a COOP, and she doesn't even care. She wouldn't be half as big or popular as she is had he not given her that oppertunity. Stupid cow.

Anyway, a member here, Pepsun, sent these quotes to me, so I'm posting them for her, since she doesn't really want to. But all credit to her.

I have this stuff from one little book with title “The Fame Game-8 rock and pop success stories” by Mat Snow, published in 1988.

GENE KELLY:
“A lot of dancers can go ninety miles an hour, but Michael`s too clever for just that. He knows when to stop and then flash out like a bolt of lightning.”

SETH RIGGS:
“The adult world he has to live in is full of sharks and graspers. It`s nice to get away from that, back to being a child again. Since he was a kid, and still now, instead of being out, moving around, falling around, getting married, heavy dating, heavy everything, Michael is still a monk. Michael lives like a musical monk. He is under God`s will. He has kept all his energies, all his fire, all his power, which the rest of us use in sex, and channelled it into his music. The rest of us are out there in the war of relationships and sex, but not Michael . I`m not saying he doesn`t like girls or sex, or that he isn`t interested in them. But sex has to come as part of marriage. That`s the way God said it should be.”

JANE FONDA:
“Michael`s a lot like my dad (Henry Fonda). Dad was also painfully self-conscious and shy in life and only really felt comfortable when he was behind the mask of a character. He could liberate himself only when he was being someone else. Michael reminds me of the walking wounded. He`s an extremely fragile person.

MICHAEL ON MAGIC:
“Magic is easy if you put your heart into it, like Peter Pan did. I really believe that humans can fly. We just don`t know how to think the right thoughts to levitate ourselves off the ground.”

MICHAEL ON INSPIRATION:
“I wake from dreams and go ”Wow! Put this down on paper!” The whole thing is strange. You hear the words, everything is right there in front of your face. And you say to yourself : “I`m sorry, I just didn`t write this, it`s there already.” That`s why I hate to take the credit for the songs I`ve written. I feel that somewhere, some place, it`s been done and I`m just a courier bringing it into the world. I really believe that God is behind everything.”

MICHAEL ON DRUGS:
“I think drugs are wrong and I don`t care who knows it. I don`t even like the word “high”. If I want to feel free in my mind, I`ll go walk on the beach, read a beautiful book, write a song or spend time with children.”

MICHAEL ON BEING MOBBED:
“Being mobbed hurts! You feel like you`re spaghetti among thousands of hands. They`re just ripping you and pulling your hair, and you feel that at any moment you`re gonna break. So you stay in your hotel room and write a song. And when you get tired of that, you talk to yourself. Then you let it all out on stage.”

MICHAEL ON WORK:
”If I take a week off, I think I`m loafing, I feel like I`m getting behind. I like being active and creative – I`m constantly prying into the future for the sound of tomorrow. It`s very important not to become old hat.”

MICHAEL ON PLAY:
“I go to museums and learn and study. I don`t do sports- it`s dangerous. There`s a lot of money being counted on and we don`t want to risk anything. My brother hurt his leg in a basketball game and we had to cancel the concert, and just because of him having an hour of fun, thousands of people missed the show and we were being sued left and right because of the game. I don`t think it`s worth it.”

MICHAEL ON ART:
“I love art. Whenever we go to Paris I rush to the Louvre. I just never get enough of it! I go to all the museums around the world. I love art too much, because they have these auctions and I just don`t want to hear about it or see it because I end up buying everything and you become addicted. You see a piece you like and you say :”Oh, God, I`ve got to have this!”

MICHAEL ON STRANGE SIGHTS:
“Ever since I was young I`ve been surrounded by strange sights. Like fans ripping off their coats and standing nude in front of me, and being sent letters with every kind of suggestion in them. You wouldn`t believe some of the things I saw at the early age. One of the worst memories, which I`ll never erase, is of a stripper who played in the same club as we did when I was 6. She was called Rose Marie. After she had taken everything off, she pushed her costume into the faces of the audience. It was disgusting. By the time I reached my teens I guess I`d been exposed to most grown-up things.”

MICHAEL ON FRIENDSHIP:
“I have a lot of trouble with friendships because I`ve spent so much of my life on stage. I don`t always trust myself with regular people, so to speak. My idea of your average person is someone in the crowd who`s running towards me trying to get my autograph or tear my clothes off. I hate to admit it , but I feel strange around everyday people. See, my whole life has been on stage and the impression I get of people is applause, standing ovations and running after you. I am a very sensitive person with very vulnerable feelings. It`s hard for me to make friends. When people want to know me , I become suspicious.”

MICHAEL ON MICHAEL:
“I know I am different from most people my age, because I`ve seen so much and done so much. But I`m not Mr.Nutter. I`m not crazy man . People just don`t understand.”[/b]

More comments :

Krazie Bone from the rap group "Bone thugs in Harmony":

ms: When did you start rapping?

kb: I started rappin' back in the 6th grade--from 1st through 5th grade, I was singing. I used to want to be a singer, I used to want to be like Michael Jackson and New Edition. Then when I went to the 6th grade, I started gettin' hip to rap, started listening to Run-DMC.

MARK STOERMER from rock band the "The Killers"

IV: That’s no help at all. What music did you like when you were tiny?

Mark: “I loved Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. Me and my brother both had a copy and my mum wrote Dave on mine so we wouldn’t fight about it. He’s weird, no one is disputing that, but God he made some great songs. ‘Off The Wall’, ‘Thriller’, ‘Bad’ and ‘Dangerous’ are a string of four, genius albums. ‘PYT’ and ‘The Man In The Mirror’ are my favourite tracks.

Rock star Josh Todd and former memember of rock band, "Buckcherry"

IVT: I might as well ask while we're on the subject. What do you think of her brother?

Josh Todd: You know what? I'm a huge fan of the Jacksons. I love the Jacksons. Don't get me wrong. I don't care what they do in their personal lives. I love the talent. I've been a big fan of Michael Jackson my whole life. Even if he's guilty of his crime, I'm still going to enjoy what he did and the music he contributed. I mean, the way he performs is just F ! % K I N G dynamic and it's something that nobody can touch.

Macy Gray when asked about Michael Jackson trial

Knowing how ruthless people can be when someone exhibits characteristics that are not in tune with the societal norm, what are her thoughts when she sees Michael Jackson, an obviously strange individual, being branded a pedophile by the media without even being convicted?

Gray: "Michael's just an interesting man. He's the most interesting man I've ever seen," she said. "I think the media wants to make him out to be more of a freak than anything else. They jump to conclusions before they even know anything. Their basis is in things he has done and said, but they don't know if he has committed those crimes. I think that certain people want to believe that he did it. He is a victim and it's a shame. Like I said, he's a very interesting man which can be either a blessing or a curse."

Gospel artist and record executive Kurt Carr released a statement expressing his beliefs that "God blocked" the conviction and sentencing of pop-star Michael Jackson.

"When Michael was acquitted on all accounts, immediately my song, 'God Blocked It' came to mind," said Carr. "God truly blocked the 20 years of prison that Michael faced and the mercy of God was on his side. Even if 'we' thought he deserved it, clearly God intervened and blocked Michael Jackson's demise!"

In regards to Jackson's career as a musician, which has been described as "uncertain" at best, Carr had the following thoughts:

"I actually feel that God obviously has a work for Michael Jackson to do. Michael Jackson's music brings peace and hope to the world unlike any other artist of our time and I believe God sustained and protected Michael because he has work to do and I pray that he finds his way to the kingdom."

Latina Rapper, Havana Mena (She's gorgeous by the way)
Who were the artists you looked up to when you were coming up in music?

A little bit of everybody, not necessarily just rappers.
Michael Jackson is the ultimate, talent wise, I think he's a really good writer.

I hate to break it to you guys but that quote from Mandela is a hoax. Someone in the media made up in response to Michael's interview with Jessie Jackson. They were poking fun at Michael's comments which they interpreted to mean that he felt he was in the same league as Nelson Mandela and had suffered on the same scale.

We had discussed it at LENGTH on this board when it first came out. I will never forget it.

More quotes, translated from another language and privided by member pepsun. These are some really great ones from two magazines called "Smash Hits" and "Popcorn".

Katherine Hepburn:

"Allow to one old lady to be surprised that a person like Michael Jackson has been born. The 60's was Beatles' years, 70's was Stevie Wonder's, Diana Ross and Simon & Garfunkel. That is a change deserving respect. I think that boy is in our hearts already. He sticks to our memories as the best artist of the decade"
Michael takes place as a guest singer in Eddie Murphy's album "Love is alright". Eddie talks about what he felt when heard Michael during the recordings of "Whatz up with you". "No kidding, that was almost a religious experience. When Michael sings you can feel the God's mercy flowing upon him".

Pia Zadora ( she sings in ”When the rain begins to fall” with Jermain Jackson):

"When I saw Michael Jackson at Madison Square Garden in New York I was pregnant. That was the first time I felt the baby moved. When it heard his music it started moving! What a sensation!"

Johnny Black – journalist:

”The idea that Michael Jackson has more than 1 personality seems to me closer to the truth than the thought that he is just crazy. He's got 3

personalities –
-First one - Michael Jackson during work and on stage - confident and determent.
-The second one - Michael Jackson among people - shy and ethical, and
-Third one - in his personal life - friendly, good-natured and generous. But the key to the truth might be hidden in his love for the children. His early career and lack of games in his child years make him hangs out and spends hours and hours with Macaulay Culkin and other kids these days, it is kind of catching up and making up for the missed childhood. As long as the business is concerned he manages to deal with his life, catching up deadlines, reaching goals and all that good stuff, and I would not think a person like that could be"wacko".

Frank Sinatra:

"The only male singer who I’ve seen besides myself and who's better than me - that is Michael Jackson.”

Liza Minnelli:

"I can discuss anything with him - politics, philosophy, racism, wars, theater. Talking to Michael is like magic."

Diana Ross:

"Sometimes even I can’t believe that there could be a person who can be so shy. He hides, talks quietly almost whispers. Everything changes when he gets on the stage, then he turns into a sexy “monster".

Fred Astaire:

"Oh, God! That boy moves in a very exceptional way. That's the greatest dancer of the century".

Fred Astaire (shortly before his death):

"I didn't want to leave this world without knowing who my descendant was. Thank you Michael!"

Jackie Jackson (Michael’s brother):

"At the age of 5 he had so much energy and he was so charming, it was understandable to become a major person in the band. At 7 he was an excellent dancer and was teaching us all how to perform.
He was accepted by the audience. The important thing was the speed. He would usually see someone do something and repeat it right away. I was scared a little bit, he was so young! I didn’t know where he got the talent from, but I guess he just had it.”

Back