A year later, how is the new generation of fans?

I think the pain of losing Michael is different for new fans that it is for us who went through his trials and the media-hate when he was alive.
I'm not saying the pain is less, its just different.

I know right. I haven't posted on here in months. I'm at another board, I just couldn't find my "place" here on this board after he died if you know what I mean. Everything was turned upside down. I lost myself in this mess with new fans versus old. Honestly, had I stayed here I could have ended up bitter and asked everyone where were you one June 24?!?

A year has passed, and it is what it is. We just got to learn how to deal with him not being here in person. xoxo

Yeah, its true that a lot of longtime fans didnt feel the need to sign up on forums until Michael passed away...
My sister is a fan for like 20 years but only signed up here sometime in 2008 or 2009 i think and she's not the only fan-friend that signed up recently, some have been fans for 40 years!

I feel for the new fans because they were never able to be a fan while Michael was walking this earth...
I became a fan of Bob Marley after he passed away (i was 5 when he died).....what i wouldnt give to see him in concert.

I am pretty sure that in time the older fans will accept the new fans.
As time passes by the real new fans will remain.

Very true....I have been a fan since 1979 (OTW was the first album I ever got when I was 6) and when I was 9 and Thriller was kicking off, well......it just cemented the devotion....like you say Janena, it had just never occured to me to join a forum (for anything) ...I discovered this forum following Michael's passing when I googled "emotional support for Michael Jackson fans" in the days immediately after 25/6/09.

I have discovered real kindred empathy here with fans both old and new - I love reminiscing with fans of my age who had the same experiences in the 80s - the concerts, Madame Tussauds in '85, the music and videos, the books and toys, bubblegum and sweets you had etc but what I love is the younger fans coming and asking me about it - what was it like at the Bad concerts, where did you see Michael, what was it like when Thriller came out, were you scared of the Thriller video etc.

I have great respect for our younger fans, particularly those who became fans during the 90s when all the shit was going on..... like the fans that have come to love Michael since 25/06/09 they have had the foresight to see beyond all the media perpetuated crap and researched for themselves the man behind the headlines...to see Michael for the person that he is....that kind of hunger for the truth is what brings the real fans to the fore and the 'bandwagon' fans evaporate.

I love all Michael's fans - I make time for all of them...as they are the future fanbase and will ensure that Michael's legacy is assurred.

^^ :clapping: I agree....

Where's the L.O.V.E.? :scratch:

It makes me sad that some members believe that ppl who joined here after 25 June are new fans who before that day didnt give a shit about Michael..

Some ppl were fans since J5, some others loved him during the 80s some during the 90s. Many more started to feel the love in the 00s or even after 25 June 09..So what?

Some of them know everything about MJ, his life, his music, some others not so much but they try and discover every day new things about him, not because they have to but cuz they want to!

But we all have one thing in common!!! Why should we compete about whos bigger fan and whos not worth to be fan? The important thing is that we love him no matter in which time period he came into our lives!

And dont ask me again where I was in the years of trial. Because this question makes me feel guilty. I wont answer about me personally, but all im gonna say is that we are human beings and its very possible that during that time we might had our personal problems, our own difficulties or we were too young but that doesnt mean that we believed all those BS cuz i didnt not even for a tiny sec!!!!!!!!! (I hope no new fan had ever accused him of these bull tho..)

And if some day Ill stop posting here (real life is out there) that doesnt mean i wont be a fan...

:flowers:

To be honest, I am glad in a way that new fans are discovering Michael's music and beginning to appreciate what we 'oldies' have known for so long now.

It warms my heart to see teens/young people appreciate good music compared to the garbage that's being played on T.V and radio these days. Nowadays, it is how much can you thrash another artist by 'dissing' them in your song and you forget that music is supposed to move your soul and make you think or just enjoy yourself.

So if Michael can still inspire after his death, it just goes to show/prove the power of his music for now and many generations to come.

Exactly! It means that we have another reason to delve deep into Michael (not that we didn't already ;) ) when showing/ teaching newer fans the fien arts of the great man :)

Im 17 now. I've been a fan for two almost two years . I will never stop . Thanks to him I discover great music. Music that I didn't know it exist. From nat king Cole, ray charles, chuck berry, queen, the Beatles , marving Gaye , Stevie wonder etc. I've become a better person. But I mostly listen to mj, right now I can't stop playing the history album, specially money. Once I started watching mj interview in yt, something in me change. I was like , "how the heck, I never did this before". My best friend is fan too, she has mj poster all over her room. We both buy his albums. But I also want everything since jackson 5 and jacksons. I purchased destiny and thriumph months ago. And I love it!!!!. They have so many amazing. I dont understand why they never talk about. They are like off the wall level , in my opinion. I also love be not always from the victory album. I made cry the first time I listened it. Thanks to mj I ve changed and began my concern for the environment. I even took and environment class in my school. And wow! , it was worth it. I take care of my planet and also spend more time with my little cousin, which I've never done it before. I've realized I have more fun with her, than with adults (well, sometimes adult conversation can be really boring). I'm began to enjoy simple things, and I love it.
So THANK YOU MICHAEL JACKSON for changing my life for the better and I really love you!

I envy the new generation of fans, they have so much to discover and to hear. I welcome them with open arms, we need new blood to ensure Michael's legacy goes on forever. Don't care how long you have been a fan, just happy to have you here sharing the love and respect.

Im 17 now. I've been a fan for two almost two years . I will never stop . Thanks to him I discover great music. Music that I didn't know it exist. From nat king Cole, ray charles, chuck berry, queen, the Beatles , marving Gaye , Stevie wonder etc.

That's great to hear. It was the same for me when I was a teenager and I discovered Mike and then through him other great music. I was listening to music that other people didn't really listen to at the time in my country and the media didn't really play either (for example R&B).

That's great to hear. It was the same for me when I was a teenager and I discovered Mike and then through him other great music. I was listening to music that other people didn't really listen to at the time in my country and the media didn't really play either (for example R&B).

I love when that happens, It was the same for me when I was a kid. Thanks to MJ I discover a lot of music, especially the music from Motown.

It's a sad reason for something great to happen. I think all the new fans are great. So many younger people are now listening to Michael's music. Youngster who haven't grown up in the '70's, '80's or '90's when Michael had blockbuster hits and was all over the media.

I have an example. There's a few youngsters here in my neighbourhood who have a big stereo set outside. They are loud, turn up the music to concert level and they're really annoying for everyone living here. Since Michael passed away I hear his music coming from that garden. And though I think they shouldn't make so much noise and bother everyone with it. I can't help but smile when I hear his music coming out of that garden. They are shouting, loud and obnoxious teenagers, but they did discover Michael's music and will probably keep playing it for the rest of their lives :)

I discovered Michael when I was 18 and after June 25th, 2009. Why? I don't know, maybe because when I growing up in the 90s, my family never really popped in a CD of his! Don't get me wrong, I have never hated Michael. I love him too much!! It's just my family because my parents divorced during that time and I was always going back and forth with my twin sister every time during the summer or winter visiting my dad. Now two years ago, I realized I knew nothing about Michael and wanted to learn about him because he's an incredible artist. So there, that's how it started. Oh, and get this, I don't even pay attention to today's music that much anymore because that kind of music sucks!

OffTheWall1979;2861434 said:
I am talking about people who are atleast 18+ and who didn't care shit about Michael when it mattered and now, when it's too late, they come around claiming they are the world's biggest fan and posting 1000+ on this forum for example. It's disgusting and they can't possibly understand the saddness the real fans feel. But, as you say, people can become a fan after he died, of course, particularly they young ones but still, I promise you, there are many, and I mean many, persons who hated him in 2005 and now "love him".

Tis ist not so easy and universally valid OTW; there is not only black and white.
I feel not unsound by your sentences because I to myself has already said.

Briefly I want to tell about myself:

I become 62 years in few months and, therefore, could have perceived theoretically Michael from his childhood.

Between 1960 and 1969 I was in a Catholic boarding school: There was no television.
Nevertheless, I have seen the J5 once on holiday in a music broadcasting. Michael none was still 10 years old. I did not like their song, I did not like their formation dancing and to me did not like that there a small boy sang expertly and trimmed like an adult.
Then I have forgotten them.

The second spot met to me was when Michael sang on television the song "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough". Again I did not like him.His vacal situation was too high and the dinner jacket and his fly disturbed me. He seemed to me like „mummies darling“; adapted and clean-substantially.
You must know: It was in 1971/72. I studied, in the meantime, in Berlin and it was the time of the student revolts; we demonstrated, we have had battles with the police, and while we stood in yellow mackintoshes before the water cannons, little Michael with dinner jacket ….To be enthusiastic inconceivable about him, because there were there quite different musicians who appealed to us even more.

About in 1980 around I was ready with the university and became a good girl again. My work dealt with it what I had learnt: Old (antique) history and philosophy.
And I have done this work with constantly growing enthusiasm and it was only interrupted when I was politically active during 5 years.
My music interest was completely aimed on classical music.

Michael's process has passed me in 2005: I have got of it nothing.

In spring, 2009 I have anew organised my "book room" and have thrown away a lot. Besides, a political magazine fell to me from October, 2005 in the hand. While paging through I bumped into an article which dealt with the justice practise in the USA. Michael's process was introduced there; it was a very good article.
I read him, thought: „Poor guy“ … and threw away the magazine. Michael had not reached me yet.

Then my friend told me that Michael had died, and, besides, she cried. I did not understand first and attacked of late thoughts, why she had cried.
I sat down on the computer and typed with Google "Michael Jackson".
This was at 6/26/2009 in the late evening.
And from this evening I got in a suction when I read on the Internet site of "Friendship to Friedship" about Michael's life and suffer .
Michael has partial resemblances to some figures from the old Greek tragedies (a little bit king Oedipus of the modern age …, however, also Antigone …). However, Michael also has resemblances to figures of Kafka: He IS „Josef K. from the „process“.

I have laboriously translated to me all his song texts beginning with „Off The Wall“ into German. And thus I have slowly found my access to Michael.

I cannot catch my feelings which I had with all my brisk in right words.

Then after 4 months I have ventured to announce in a forum in Germany, after I had found out before also in the archive of this forum.

And now I am here... not because I feel as a great Michael's fan, but because I cannot stop dealing with Michael Jackson.

Now, this is my history with Michael, OffTheWall … With me at the beginning stood the comparison with literary figures. Then it went on step by step. And I still see no end, because it is without shore.

Other people have to tell another stories.

(Sorry! My English is awful; I can better read then write it. But I'm learning...)

I've been a fan since 2000 (I was 10) but I became a BIGGER fan even after his death. My brother became a fan June 25 2009 and is 7yrs old... he is STILL a huge fan 2 years later. Actually he drives my dad crazy with playing MJ every. single. day! LOL.

This thread really brightened my day. It's wonderful to see so many new fans and how they came to learn about Michael. It's not as black and white as some people think. Just because some people became fans after his death, doesn't mean they didn't like him before. Many people were either indifferent or simply didn't know much about him at all. I mean I'm not like a really old fan or anything, I became a fan back in 2002 when I was 14. Naturally some older fans might assume, oh that it was after Invincible or whatever, but it actually wasn't th case at all. It was just destiny. In fact, before then I knew absolutely nothing about Michael..positive or negative. I knew he was a singer/dancer and that's about it. I don't even think I knew he was black lool :D. And that wasn't because I was living under a rock or anything, but I guess I was young at the time and my interests were different. I had the blessing of learning about Michael without being tainted by the media or any preconceptions. Read a bit about his biography, downloaded and listened to his albums one by one from Off the Wall to Invincible, watched all his short films, then concert performances, and it took off from there. My point is, you didnt have to hate Michael if you weren't a fan before. Many people just weren't 'aware' of him and eventually discovered him on their own.

@Mneme: I find your story to be very inspiring :hug:

@Jacksonxo: That's so cute :lol:!

i've been a fan for 20 years but it fills my heart with joy to know that there are so many new fans
this is like a miracle and only proves Michael's magic lives on. thank you guys

I have been a fan for my whole life, and MJ will continue to attract and keep new fans for eternity. MJ is captivating and no one can ever deny his talent and good nature.

Mankind is just so lucky to have had such a wonderful person to inspire generation after generation after generation... with a peaceful message. To LOVE.

As long as the new fans are a fan in their heart (an not because of wanting to be 'cool') i'm fine with that...

it's nice to see so many young fans.. as long as there are fans, Michael will live on.

I'm still here, 2 years later. Still missing Michael :cry:
I love you Mike, rest in peace.

The 2 year anniversary made me come back to this forum after a year of not reading anything about Michael. When I first got interested in him I ended up obsessing for many months - listening to his music, looking at all the pictures and videos I could, learning about the man he was. It was great but there came a point when I just felt like I needed a break from it all. I'm glad to be back though, even if it is depressing at times.

Back