Aerosmith Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Aerosmith

For those who are interested, this documentary is still online so watch it while it's still there:

[YOUTUBE]qJr2c8Gu7hk[/YOUTUBE]

Two performances of "Dream On" i love sooooo much:

[youtube]wQpaGWCB4Kk[/youtube]

[youtube]eLTebW9PLAE[/youtube]

Last edited:

Steven Tyler honoring Paul McCartney at the Kennedy Center Honors:

This Wednesday (1/19) Steven will make his debut as a judge on American Idol!

Ahhhh, Aerosmith. For pac, I'm sure you guessed I'd be in this thread soon enough.

They went from being brilliant (1973 - 1985) to being mediocre at best (50% of Permanent Vacation, Angel, Dude Looks Like A Lady, Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, Girls Of Summer) to getting back up there (Nine Lives, Honkin' On Bobo, Sedona Sunrise) as all bands do. Absolutely hooked on Honkin' On Bobo - now there's a great roots record right there.

If I had to choose, it would be Kings And Queens, Chip Away The Stone or Girl Keeps Coming Apart.

Ahhhh, Aerosmith. For pac, I'm sure you guessed I'd be in this thread soon enough.

They went from being brilliant (1973 - 1985) to being mediocre at best (50% of Permanent Vacation, Angel, Dude Looks Like A Lady, Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, Girls Of Summer) to getting back up there (Nine Lives, Honkin' On Bobo, Sedona Sunrise) as all bands do.

I think they were absolutely untouchable on their first four albums. Then on the next four (Draw the Line - Done with Mirrors) things started to slip, but there were still some gems (no pun intended) on those.

Absolutely hooked on Honkin' On Bobo - now there's a great roots record right there.

:yes:

If I had to choose, it would be Kings And Queens, Chip Away The Stone or Girl Keeps Coming Apart.

A big favorite of mine is Seasons of Wither from Get Your Wings. How do you like that one?

I think they were absolutely untouchable on their first four albums. Then on the next four (Draw the Line - Done with Mirrors) things started to slip, but there were still some gems (no pun intended) on those.
Permanent Vacation has some great stuff apart from the three big ones. Pump has one poor-ish song, maybe two depending on the day and then Get A Grip sorta drops right down but I do like Amazing. The best song off that one is probably Shut Up And Dance.

It's a shame Nine Lives doesn't get more exposure and thankfully for Just Push Play recieves hardly any exposure apart from the two live tracks on Rockin' The Joint and Jaded which I don't mind but I wouldn't go nuts for it either.

A big favorite of mine is Seasons of Wither from Get Your Wings. How do you like that one?
I forgot all about Seasons. Absolutely right up there - let it take place of Dream On. Oh and Think About It, No Suprize, Sight For Sore Eyes, Critical Mass, The Hand That Feeds, Uncle Salty, One Way Street...it just keeps going.

Actually the very first song that I ever heard of Aero's that I truly liked would have been Somebody.

Permanent Vacation has some great stuff apart from the three big ones. Pump has one poor-ish song, maybe two depending on the day and then Get A Grip sorta drops right down but I do like Amazing. The best song off that one is probably Shut Up And Dance.

It's a shame Nine Lives doesn't get more exposure and thankfully for Just Push Play recieves hardly any exposure apart from the two live tracks on Rockin' The Joint and Jaded which I don't mind but I wouldn't go nuts for it
either.

Pump is a great one, I loved the documentary based on the making of it as well.

I agree about Just Push Play, not one of their better albums. I do really enjoy Beyond Beautiful, Trip Hoppin', Sunshine and Face (bonus track).

Hi there, how are you ? You can call me Franck btw. :)

I did not know you'd find this thread cause the last post (mine) was so old that i thought the thread would be buried forever (thx for bumping the thread TarinJade :)).

Has American Idol started yet ? I want it to start cause i wanna see Steven. Do you think Aerosmith will perform there on a special occasion, like a one night only thing ?

I do not know if you have heard this interview:

[youtube]iFToRP7DwmE[/youtube]

[youtube]JUfQzuLDORE[/youtube]

Last edited:

I did not know you'd find this thread cause the last post (mine) was so old that i thought the thread would be buried forever (thx for bumping the thread TarinJade :)).

:D

IHas American Idol started yet ? I want it to start cause i wanna see Steven. Do you think Aerosmith will perform there on a special occasion, like a one night only thing ?

It starts tomorrow night here in the U.S.. I don't know if it premieres in France at the same time.

It would be great if the whole band performed together on the show, but I don't know if they would all want to. Rumor has it that Joe Perry didn't care for Steven doing the show.

Thank you for that interview, I will listen to it soon.

^^^ Hi TarinJade how are you ? :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Oh btw, can you play any instrument or sing ? If yes, can you play/sing any song by Aerosmith in a good way ?

Last edited:

Pump is a great one, I loved the documentary based on the making of it as well.

I agree about Just Push Play, not one of their better albums. I do really enjoy Beyond Beautiful, Trip Hoppin', Sunshine and Face (bonus track).
Pump was the best album up until Nine Lives and then both were blown away by Bobo.

Yeah on JPP I'd go for Beyond Beautiful, JPP itself, Fly Away From Here, Sunshine, Luv Lies, Avant Garden and Face. Basically all the ballads but what the hell is the deal with that hidden track after Avant Garden (or depending on the version of the album you got, Face?) It sounds like some Nine Lives reject.

Slash as well said something about the whole context of the (Idol) show. Same with Joe - and I think there were numerous others who had a whinge about it - not that of course Slash been on AI before but I guess he relates it back to a judging role. In the end, it's not like Steven can do any worse than he's doing. Unfortunately the fact is they sold out starting with Vacation and while they've continued to put out 6-7 decent(ish) songs on each album and they aren't looked upon too well in the rock community.

I'll be surprised and shocked, of course in a good way, if they release anything new ever again that you can hear they wanted to do. I mean they always have their heart in what they release, but sometimes you can hear that lack of enthusiasm. Maybe the constant touring wears them down, plus they're pushing 60 now.

Has anyone here heard the new Joe Perry album? Have Guitar, Will Travel. Not bad and has that mid-70s blues sound to it with a smokin' cover of Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight as well as a killer instrumental called Wooden Ships. Joe sings on five and German singer Haghen Grohe on the remaining five.

joe_perry-have_guitar_will_travel.jpg

I love all of Aerosmith's stuff...even some of the stuff from the late 70s/early 80s when Joe & Brad were not with the band.

Permanent Vacation was a good album. Pump & Get A Grip were good too. Nine Lives was the best album in the 90s IMO. Pink is a great song and a kick ass video.

Just Push Play was great. Beyond Beautiful is a great song to jam to in the car. I love Jaded, & Fly Away From Here is my number one favorite off the album. I love the hidden track. Just awesome.

Bobo took me awhile to get use to, but I love it. Back Back Train is killer for me.

I can't believe it's been since 2001 since they released an album with all original material. They really need to get back together and release an album. I'm tired of all these greatest hits albums being released with 2 or 3 new songs with them. I want 12 to 13 new Aerosmith tunes!

LOVE Aerosmith. All their songs from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, etc. I'm totally in love with Steven Tyler too and I'm actually enjoying IDOL this season BECAUSE of him.

My favorite Aeorsmith song hands down is "Love In An Elevator."

That song rocks my glitter socks. :)

I love all of Aerosmith's stuff...even some of the stuff from the late 70s/early 80s when Joe & Brad were not with the band.

Permanent Vacation was a good album. Pump & Get A Grip were good too. Nine Lives was the best album in the 90s IMO. Pink is a great song and a kick ass video.

Just Push Play was great. Beyond Beautiful is a great song to jam to in the car. I love Jaded, & Fly Away From Here is my number one favorite off the album. I love the hidden track. Just awesome.

Bobo took me awhile to get use to, but I love it. Back Back Train is killer for me.

I can't believe it's been since 2001 since they released an album with all original material. They really need to get back together and release an album. I'm tired of all these greatest hits albums being released with 2 or 3 new songs with them. I want 12 to 13 new Aerosmith tunes!

I just can't stand a lot of power ballads especially the Aerosmith ones. Angel, Cryin', Crazy, Hole In My Soul...and the list goes on.

Bobo is an important album for me for two reasons: it influenced me to take up and learn more about the harmonica and second, introduced me to the blues and roots. I'd have every song on that album except for Jesus Is On The Main Line.

They seriously need to get together and release something that's gonna get people listening again - Bobo's a good start as was Sedona Sunrise but another covers album would just be showing they're lost. They can do that by turning off the radio, telling Steven no talk or mention of Idol or pop music, ditching the outside writers and drum machines, calling up Jack Douglas and going down the Boneyard for a month or two and record something hard.

That's the way to do it.

LOVE Aerosmith. All their songs from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, etc. I'm totally in love with Steven Tyler too and I'm actually enjoying IDOL this season BECAUSE of him.

Me too. Last night was the first time I have ever watched an episode of Idol, honestly. I had never seen it before.

Steven was on Jimmy Kimmel a couple of nights ago:

^^^ Hi there, nah it was just a question i asked Tarin in a previous post: "Oh btw, can you play any instrument or sing ? If yes, can you play/sing any song by Aerosmith in a good way ?"

Btw Drew, you still have not watched American Idol or did you change ur mind ? :)

I watched the first one, and i'll watch the second episode later. I watch it for Steven as he's cool there and i think he's a good judge, but i have to admit some ppl just can't sing so i get embarassed for 'em. At one point there was a dude trying to sing like mj or whatever, i could not watch that.

Last edited:

Thx for the video Tarin, i love the way Steven performs. Thats Jimmy Kimmel ? Did not know he looked da way.

You ignored ma question :(.

I meant Jimmy Fallon.

I'm really sorry I didn't answer your question! It was just a matter of me overlooking your post, I didn't ignore it.

^^^ Hi there, nah it was just a question i asked Tarin in a previous post: "Oh btw, can you play any instrument or sing ? If yes, can you play/sing any song by Aerosmith in a good way ?"

I can play the violin and a little piano. I have a music book that contains a song or two by Aerosmith, but they don't really work on the piano.
I can sing, but I've never had any proper training.

I watched the first one, and i'll watch the second episode later. I watch it for Steven as he's cool there and i think he's a good judge, but i have to admit some ppl just can't sing so i get embarassed for 'em. At one point there was a dude trying to sing like mj or whatever, i could not watch that.

It makes me uncomfortable too at times. Are you referring to the Japanese guy who was dancing like MJ? I only saw the first episode so far.

Hi there, nah it was just a question i asked Tarin in a previous post: "Oh btw, can you play any instrument or sing ? If yes, can you play/sing any song by Aerosmith in a good way ?"
To answer the question: yes I play the harmonica (Hohner C 10-hole) and do the scream on a good day. Such as this. One full note without any editing.

Btw Drew, you still have not watched American Idol or did you change ur mind ? :)
Nope - haven't watched it and don't plan to. I watched Idol once and that was a three-minute performance with Orianthi and Alice Cooper. The rest of them were just embarassing (although seeing Alice on that made me cringe).

Unless he sings something new or does a great rendition of something, then I'll check it out.

I meant Jimmy Fallon.

I'm really sorry I didn't answer your question! It was just a matter of me overlooking your post, I didn't ignore it.
I can play the violin and a little piano. I have a music book that contains a song or two by Aerosmith, but they don't really work on the piano.
I can sing, but I've never had any proper training.

Awww, lol, no need to apologize like that, i only reminded you so u can answer. Thx for answering. :)

It makes me uncomfortable too at times. Are you referring to the Japanese guy who was dancing like MJ? I only saw the first episode so far.

Yeah i am referring to this one, i could not watch it.

To answer the question: yes I play the harmonica (Hohner C 10-hole) and do the scream on a good day. Such as this. One full note without any editing.

Nope - haven't watched it and don't plan to. I watched Idol once and that was a three-minute performance with Orianthi and Alice Cooper. The rest of them were just embarassing (although seeing Alice on that made me cringe).

Unless he sings something new or does a great rendition of something, then I'll check it out.

Oh ok. Steven must warm his voice up before interviews, because in the first episode intro, when he was talking about how the candidates should see this adventure etc, he suddenly hit that high note outta nowhere then went back to his speaking voice, just like that lol.

Oh ok. Steven must warm his voice up before interviews, because in the first episode intro, when he was talking about how the candidates should see this adventure etc, he suddenly hit that high note outta nowhere then went back to his speaking voice, just like that lol.
Absolutely. Vocal preperation before is important for a scream or yell like that. I could do one out of nowhere too at lesser strength but my voice would be gone for a few minutes.

Interestingly enough, Dream On is the easiest. Three straight screams and one sustained note. I'd say Draw The Line would be hardest - and I've tried and it is.

Why without Joe? Is he working on a solo project?
Not sure and that's what I thought originally when I saw it. That message can be taken in two ways - ''Yes we are working on new material'' or ''Yes, we are working on new material sans Joe.''

I don't think Joey's ever done a solo project before.

Steven has with Love Lives and Joe with the Project as has Brad on that album with Derek St. Holmes back in the 80s. Just hoping whatever comes out of it isn't some kind of pop music and at least sounds something like the last song they put out - Sedona Sunrise with the blues and roots influences.

Absolutly love Aerosmith, they're just awesome! I went on their ride at Disney and in the queue waiting to go on right by the ride when they were playing the songs I started 'Michaelising' their songs. It was highly amusing! Dream On is my favourite of theirs.

Absolutly love Aerosmith, they're just awesome! I went on their ride at Disney and in the queue waiting to go on right by the ride when they were playing the songs I started 'Michaelising' their songs. It was highly amusing! Dream On is my favourite of theirs.

Same here, who does not like Dream On anyway ? :)

Back