Aerosmith Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Re: Aerosmith

Same here, who does not like Dream On anyway ? :)

Joe Perry didn't. He didn't like the fact that they were a hard rock band with a ballad as their first big hit.

Joe Perry didn't. He didn't like the fact that they were a hard rock band with a ballad as their first big hit.
I hate the record version but live it owns especially the scream when it's a good one. Personally I'd put Draw The Line, Rats In The Cellar, The Hand That Feeds, Kings And Queens or Toys In The Attic in it's place.

Joe must be hating the last 20 years then starting from Angel onwards. I'm not actually waiting all that much for a new album - a new one would be great but what I wanna see is a new live DVD or at least Cal Jam II transferred over to DVD because I've not seen it but heard it's a killer show.

^^^^ Really ? Wow, in the performances i have seen he looked really into it.

I should clarify, what I wrote above is what Joe Perry said were his feelings when it first came out in '73. Maybe they changed over time, I don't know.

I hate the record version but live it owns especially the scream when it's a good one. Personally I'd put Draw The Line, Rats In The Cellar, The Hand That Feeds, Kings And Queens or Toys In The Attic in it's place.

Yes, always better live. I like the live orchestral version from 1991.

Joe must be hating the last 20 years then starting from Angel onwards.I'm not actually waiting all that much for a new album - a new one would be great but what I wanna see is a new live DVD or at least Cal Jam II transferred over to DVD because I've not seen it but heard it's a killer show.

I was thinking the same thing when I first heard his feelings on Dream On. What about Angel, What It Takes, Cryin', Crazy, Amazing, Blind Man, Hole in My Soul, Fly Away From Here, etc etc etc???

Did Cal Jam II ever come out on video? I have Live Texxas Jam on video but as far as I know, the only live performance of theirs on DVD is "You Gotta Move."

I should clarify, what I wrote above is what Joe Perry said were his feelings when it first came out in '73. Maybe they changed over time, I don't know.
Nope - if you can find the video on YouTube where Joe's on the Project Tour - 2009 or 2010 with Haghen Grohe, he says something along the lines of ''I don't like it but I know the rest of ya might!''

Yes, always better live. I like the live orchestral version from 1991.
About the only one I've ever liked of it. The orchestra thing adds to it immensely. Beautifuckinful.

I was thinking the same thing when I first heard his feelings on Dream On. What about Angel, What It Takes, Cryin', Crazy, Amazing, Blind Man, Hole in My Soul, Fly Away From Here, etc etc etc???

Did Cal Jam II ever come out on video? I have Live Texxas Jam on video but as far as I know, the only live performance of theirs on DVD is "You Gotta Move."
Not sure. I know he's said about making the 2010 album (which we know never happened) to have it sound like Just Push Play - which has some of their better ballads strangely enough - and more like Bobo. This was in 2008 or 2009.

You Gotta Move is great apart from one song. Just checked out if Cal Jam's ever had a release and it seems not. Bits and pieces of the perfomance from CJ2 are out on something called 'Video Scrapbook' - which sounds epic. Check this out:

1. "Toys In The Attic (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
2. "Same Old Song and Dance (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
3. "Chip Away the Stone (Music Video - main concert footage is from an unknown concert, some footage is from Cal Jam 2, Audio is from California Jam 2 1978 and edited)"
4. "Draw The Line (Live at California Jam 2 1978)"
5. "Dream On (Live at Largo,MD Capital Center Nov,9 1978)"
6. "Sweet Emotion (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
7. "Chiquita (Music Video)"
8. "Lightning Strikes (Music Video)"
9. "Walk This Way (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
10. "Adam's Apple" (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
11. "Train Kept A Rollin' (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
12. "SOS (Unlisted Track) (Live at Ponitac Sliverdome 1976)"
If that ever came out on DVD I'd be first in line to pick it up. Chip Away The Stone and Adam's Apple!!!

For those who aren't aware of it, ''Live Texxas Jam '78'' has the following:

1. "Rats in the Cellar"
2. "Seasons of Wither"
3. "I Wanna Know Why"
4. "Walkin' The Dog"
5. "Walk This Way"
6. "Lick and a Promise"
7. "Get The Lead Out"
8. "Draw the Line"
9. "Sweet Emotion"
10. "Same Old Song and Dance"
11. "Milk Cow Blues"
12. "Toys in the Attic"
No Kings And Queens but it sure as hell makes up for that omission with Rats, Seasons, Lick And A Promise (hell yeah!!!) and Milk Cow Blues. And Get The Lead Out - I'm so there.

Next question - what's your favourite live album?

- Live Bootleg
- Classics Live
- A Little South Of Sanity
- Rockin' The Joint
- You Gotta Move (CD portion)

I gotta go with Live Bootleg for the overall tracklist and Rockin' The Joint for the first half and everything but Light Inside (except the harmonica bit) and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

Just the other day I had a great thought. Imagine a boxset of the following:

CD 1 - 2: 1970 - 1979 sessions
CD 3 - 4: 1980 - 1989 sessions
CD 5 - 6: 1990 - 1999 sessions
CD 7 - 8: 2000 - 2011 sessions
CD 9 - 10: All B-sides from every single and bonus tracks.

DVD 1: Cal Jam + interviews + current and past interviews
DVD 2: Live Texxas Jam ' 78 + current and past interviews
DVD 3: Woodstock '94 performance or at least something nearly as good.
DVD 4: Another random performance with a wide selection of truly good songs.
DVD 5: All the music videos from 1973 onwards.

That'd be a hell of a box. Call it The Honk Box.

Nope - if you can find the video on YouTube where Joe's on the Project Tour - 2009 or 2010 with Haghen Grohe, he says something along the lines of ''I don't like it but I know the rest of ya might!''

:lol:

Not sure. I know he's said about making the 2010 album (which we know never happened) to have it sound like Just Push Play - which has some of their better ballads strangely enough - and more like Bobo. This was in 2008 or 2009.

I hope so.

You Gotta Move is great apart from one song. Just checked out if Cal Jam's ever had a release and it seems not. Bits and pieces of the perfomance from CJ2 are out on something called 'Video Scrapbook' - which sounds epic.

It is epic. I own it. It's been years since I watched it though. I don't remember Adam's Apple being on there! I'll have to get it out soon.

Next question - what's your favourite live album?

- Live Bootleg
- Classics Live
- A Little South Of Sanity
- Rockin' The Joint
- You Gotta Move (CD portion)

I gotta go with Live Bootleg for the overall tracklist and Rockin' The Joint for the first half and everything but Light Inside (except the harmonica bit) and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

Rockin' the Joint.

Just the other day I had a great thought. Imagine a boxset of the following:

CD 1 - 2: 1970 - 1979 sessions
CD 3 - 4: 1980 - 1989 sessions
CD 5 - 6: 1990 - 1999 sessions
CD 7 - 8: 2000 - 2011 sessions
CD 9 - 10: All B-sides from every single and bonus tracks.

DVD 1: Cal Jam + interviews + current and past interviews
DVD 2: Live Texxas Jam ' 78 + current and past interviews
DVD 3: Woodstock '94 performance or at least something nearly as good.
DVD 4: Another random performance with a wide selection of truly good songs.
DVD 5: All the music videos from 1973 onwards.

That'd be a hell of a box. Call it The Honk Box.

That would be great, but I don't see the CD part happening. They've already got the Box of Fire (which I own) and Pandora's Box. There also might be issues with the fact that they were signed to two different record companies over the years. Box of Fire goes from 73-88 but leaves out Done With Mirrors and Permanent Vacation which is from their time with Geffen.

The DVD set would be fantastic.

I watched that a long time ago. Maybe i'm naive for a 24 year old man but um, i do not know, i find him disrespectful and aggressive for someone who performed that song so many times. I know some stuff might have happened between the band members but still, maybe he should respect the song as some ppl love it. I searched my internet history and i think Drew was referring to the following performance. I'm better at reading English than hearing it but i think that at the beginning he says: "I said there's no f*cking way we're playing that song but anyway i'm gonna play it just to show you how much it sucks". Could someone write what he says please ? Cause i can't hear it all. Anyway, yeah this song sucks....... when performed the way it is in the video, with Steven singing, it's another story lol:

[youtube]wJBBvjEhrkQ[/youtube]

That would be great, but I don't see the CD part happening. They've already got the Box of Fire (which I own) and Pandora's Box. There also might be issues with the fact that they were signed to two different record companies over the years. Box of Fire goes from 73-88 but leaves out Done With Mirrors and Permanent Vacation which is from their time with Geffen.

The DVD set would be fantastic.
I'd kill for a set like that, the DVD part at least. On the subject of two different record companies, on the You Gotta Move discography page - you should see what's missing from the listing. DWM and Permanent Vacation; which has some of, if not their biggest songs on it. Not there. A discography of Aerosmith is not complete without My Fist Your Face or Girl Keeps Comin' Apart. Fail.

Most of the B-sides are available elsewhere on singles and Young Lust. Permanent Vacation and several demos from Pump have come out on bootlegs in poor to decent(ish) quality but still not top-quality, which is what I would pay for. I probably won't ever get Box Of Fire because it's sort of redundant to me but Pandora's Box I have being sent to me as I write this. Hell, three discs of early Aero and live - can't complain for $10 (minus the longbox).

I watched that a long time ago. Maybe i'm naive for a 24 year old man but um, i do not know, i find him disrespectful and aggressive for someone who performed that song so many times. I know some stuff might have happened between the band members but still, maybe he should respect the song as some ppl love it. I searched my internet history and i think Drew was referring to the following performance. I'm better at reading English than hearing it but i think that at the beginning he says: "I said there's no f*cking way we're playing that song but anyway i'm gonna play it just to show you how much it sucks". Could someone write what he says please ? Cause i can't hear it all. Anyway, yeah this song sucks....... when performed the way it is in the video, with Steven singing, it's another story lol:
That's the video and you've got exactly what he says. It's a bit disrespectful but I bet you he wouldn't say that if Steven was around. Then again, if he thought it sucked so much why on his latest solo record would he put a bonus track of it (a reggae version)? Makes zero sense to me. Joe sometimes really makes me wonder WTF. I think it might have been during the 'Steven's leaving us' moment last year.

The 1991 performance from the awards show with the orchestra is by far the best performance of the song I've ever seen. Epic more so than the actual word describes...it is that good. As for the vocalist there, he has a great voice especially on the higher notes and the five or six songs he does on the last solo album (Have Guitar Will Travel) are fanastic, vocally.

Then again, many big-name singers on important releases go back on their word many years later. Only now is Meat Loaf (2010) revealing how he got royally screwed by Desmond Child on Bat Out Of Hell 3 and the real story behind the crap that came out on that album. Personally, a lot of Aerosmith should have never got the green light and neither should Bat 3.

That's the video and you've got exactly what he says. It's a bit disrespectful but I bet you he wouldn't say that if Steven was around. Then again, if he thought it sucked so much why on his latest solo record would he put a bonus track of it (a reggae version)? Makes zero sense to me. Joe sometimes really makes me wonder WTF. I think it might have been during the 'Steven's leaving us' moment last year.

Maybe he put that on the record to make it more successful, to get ppl to buy the record. I'd like to hear it, is it on Youtube ?

The 1991 performance from the awards show with the orchestra is by far the best performance of the song I've ever seen. Epic more so than the actual word describes...it is that good.

I was wondering, do you think there's any playback in this performance ? (Drew'll grab his baseball bat when reading this question lol)

On wikipedia i read "In the early 1990s, the band performed the song live with an orchestra for MTV's 10th Anniversary". Did it take place at the same location as the Michael Jackson's performance for MTV's 10th anniversary ? Same place same day ? Hold on, maybe not same place, in my mind the stage looks different in Mike's performance.

Last edited:

Maybe he put that on the record to make it more successful, to get ppl to buy the record. I'd like to hear it, is it on Youtube ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeZC29ylb0

I was wondering, do you think there's any playback in this performance ? (Drew'll grab his baseball bat when reading this question lol)

On wikipedia i read "In the early 1990s, the band performed the song live with an orchestra for MTV's 10th Anniversary". Did it take place at the same location as the Michael Jackson's performance for MTV's 10th anniversary ? Same place same day ? Hold on, maybe not same place, in my mind the stage looks different in Mike's performance.
Hmmmmm....not sure of any playback, although with all the layering of sound you'd be hard-pressed to hear any kind of playback. I wouldn't have thought so but next time I'll be checking it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1039974/ is all I can find on it. Nowhere I can find says it's on the same day although if anything it would have been filmed over two days as most big retrospectives are, but don't quote me on that. Aero's stage has the big amphitheatre and MJ's one is just a normal-type stage, so maybe it was at different places. It was 1991 - MTV10 as MTV started in 1981.

Funny line from Steven in American Idol, i wonder if this line is from a song of Aerosmith lol:

[youtube]g1Wk3-rWkao[/youtube]

Last edited:

You're welcome Drew. :)

I watched the following performance yesterday night and liked it, i dunno what you'll think about it. How can a man scream that way for so many years and still be able to sing ?:

[youtube]7I555U5wGns[/youtube]

Last edited:

You're welcome Drew. :)

I watched the following performance yesterday night and liked it, i dunno what you'll think about it. How can a man scream that way for so many years and still be able to sing ?:

[youtube]7I555U5wGns[/youtube]

No idea but I know from my own experience and from what Steven has said in the past the Saddle scream is by far the easiest. The '73 - '77 performances are by far the best- his vocals are shot like all hell but it's dirty, kickin', nasty, gritty, hard rock and roll - the only way I'd have it. If I did the scream from Draw The Line or the ones from Back In The Saddle - which I don't find hard - I would have a lot less of a voice afterwards.

I'll check that one out a bit later. If you can find a track from The Stranguers (one of his first bands) called When I Needed You there's a killer scream in there. That comes from the mid-60s and shows how versatile and strong his voice was even then. Usually your vocals for metal and rock are at their very best when you're in your 20s - mid-late 30s.

Can you find a singer besides Tyler, Rob Halford, Sebastian Bach, Robert Plant, Axl Rose or Dio who can scream their lungs out and still have it sound like the gods made love (apologies to Jimi)? I sure as hell can't - and I've tried.

They change the stage 'set' for each performer.. here's what you're looking for?
Dream On
click link - Aerosmith - Dream On MTV Anniversary Awards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3FhGf3E1vY

Just a couple of Twitter posts from one Joe Perry.

So let's get this straight.I am not leaving ASmith.I will be writing on the new CD.Just could not make the Lst 8 day writing stint.alls well

we need all 5 members to write a real ASmith CD. We have plans to write in the nxt few months for an extended time period
From Joe Perry his very self.

we are going on tour this coming fall from Oct - Dec.

you misunderstood they only wrote for 8 days, there will be more song writing for ASmith in the Spring.We r looking forward to the next CD

Hope you guys r safe down under.We loved Australia. I 2 hope we tour there in the future.We r looking at plans to do it asap

It was only an 8 day writing session that got blown outta proportion. Asmith will resume in the Spring to finish the new CD

There's nothing to make up. We are brothers we have been texting back n forth since the tour ended. It's a bunch of BS

I am in Aerosmith. I am not going anywhere.The band isn't writing any more.It was only for 8 days.If ya need a jolt get my last solo CD

A couple from Joey:

Headed to studio

1 doesn't speak for all that's what its about

u know it ! & @Aerosmith bck n the studio today :)

The creative juices r flowing

One side of the story is not always the truth.. keep that in mind when listening to the BS

Thanks for the tweets Drew. :)

I think i had told ya they would record another album on maxjax but you disagreed lol. :)

Can you find a singer besides Tyler, Rob Halford, Sebastian Bach, Robert Plant, Axl Rose or Dio who can scream their lungs out and still have it sound like the gods made love (apologies to Jimi)? I sure as hell can't - and I've tried.

I'm a little embarassed now because i've never listened to the singers whose name are in bold. Could you recommend me a few songs by these artists please ? I'll check your maxjax thread about guns and roses in order to hear Axl Rose.

Ok, i know it is an Aerosmith thread but since you mentionned him i'll just post a scream by Axl Rose i just found, please Guns and Roses fans , it's still an Aerosmith thread so dont try to take over lol:

[youtube]j06dVpEZn_U[/youtube]

Drew, what is the title of the song in the video plz ?

They change the stage 'set' for each performer.. here's what you're looking for?
Dream On
click link - Aerosmith - Dream On MTV Anniversary Awards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3FhGf3E1vY

Thx for the link ma friend. I have already seen the performance, i was asking Drew if he thought it had taken place on the same day as Mj's performance. :)

Last edited:

Thanks for the tweets Drew. :)

I think i had told ya they would record another album on maxjax but you disagreed lol. :)
I really thought Bobo was their last. But with Aero, they always manage to come back and surprise even the doubters - like me.

I'm a little embarassed now because i've never listened to the singers whose name are in bold. Could you recommend me a few songs by these artists please ? I'll check your maxjax thread about guns and roses in order to hear Axl Rose.
Victim Of Changes (Halford), Falling Into You (Bach), anything from the Zep days or Band Of Joy (Plant), There Was A Time, Coma, Rocket Queen (Rose), anything from his Sabbath days (Dio).

Ok, i know it is an Aerosmith thread but since you mentionned him i'll just post a scream by Axl Rose i just found, please Guns and Roses fans , it's still an Aerosmith thread so dont try to take over lol:

[youtube]j06dVpEZn_U[/youtube]

Drew, what is the title of the song in the video plz ?
It's Live And Let Die by Wings with Paul McCartney. A cover of it I think is on Use Your Illusion 1.

With the new Guns lineup Live And Let Die was played at the show here just last year, and that scream is even better than what you hear there. Though there's a Guns thread here already?

Thx for the link ma friend. I have already seen the performance, i was asking Drew if he thought it had taken place on the same day as Mj's performance. :)

Oh your welcome my friend. :)
I honestly believe that it was the same place same stage. They change sets for each performer. Back then..everyone used to have such major sets..like each artist had their own very cool set. (i know that happens now days,but i dunno' it seems cooler back then for some reason.) I think the stage is the same just a different set.
I was like 15 when the MTV 10th Anniversary aired and I remember it being the same place.
:wub:
souldreamer7

Drew, i can't believe you let this thread die !!!! I counted on ya lol. I just found a video i L.O.V.E, could you tell me where and when you think this performance took place please ? Actually u see a lot of footages but the voice is from ONE single performance (i think), that's the one i'd like to know about. :)

I love the "flaws" in his voice in that performance e.g at 1:10 and 3:36 (that part makes me wild).

[youtube]JLz-68n6bvI[/youtube]

Last edited:

^ November 9th 1978 at the Capital Centre in Maryland.

Those flaws are the results of extreme drug use. If you can find a certain video of Lick And A Promise, you'll see just how bad it got.

I recently picked up a compilation album from Aero's Geffen years - and look at what it has:

Ain't Enough
Love Me Two Times
Head First
Don't Stop
Can't Stop Messin'
Blind Man
Walk On Water
Deuces Are Wild
Walk This Way (Run-DMC Remix) (nice to have for completion sake but I don't like it).

Good buy of all the hard-to-come-by B-sides and unreleased tracks for $5. Saves me having to get all the singles. Shame it doesn't have Once Is Enough or the South Beach Mix of Pink - but it's still pretty damn good.

Last edited:

^^^ Wow thx Drew, you answered me google style. Go ahead and write a biography to make some money. How are you btw ? :)

^ November 9th 1978 at the Capital Centre in Maryland.

Those flaws are the results of extreme drug use. If you can find a certain video of Lick And A Promise, you'll see just how bad it got.

When i read that a question popped into my mind, "they rock even when f*cked up ?" LOL, but then i remembered a performance of theirs that was a disaster. They weren't themselves that day. I could sing better. Still, in the video i posted, they ain't too f***** up to my liking, they still rock. From now on because of you, everytime they sound good i'll suspect something haha.

You recommended me several cds of theirs (thx :)) but i'm short of money right now so i'll buy some later. :)

Last edited:

^^^ Wow thx Drew, you answered me google style. Go ahead and write a biography to make some money. How are you btw ? :)
Good, and yourself?

When i read that a question popped into my mind, "they rock even when f*cked up ?" LOL, but then i remembered a performance of theirs that was a disaster. They weren't themselves that day. I could sing better. Still, in the video i posted, they ain't too f***** up to my liking, they still rock. From now on because of you, everytime they sound good i'll suspect something haha.

You recommended me several cds of theirs (thx :)) but i'm short of money right now so i'll buy some later. :)
They always sound good live regardless of the situation - 'cos while their current material might suck hard, they still do the old stuff and well. After 40 years which is incredible that the original guys - well, if you take out Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay - then it's always been the original five. Speaking of Rick, he wrote a great song for Aero from 1978 (I think) called Chip Away The Stone. That rocks hard.

The more a band stuffs up live the better. Better than a perfect concert where everything is so tight...if you have a couple of problems so be it. Raw as raw comes. That's where Aero come from...you have to rock hard and mess up to 'Make It'. Their demos (early ones) on Pandora's Box you can hear how badly they were out of tune and not all there - this was going right back to 1969 and just before.

If you're gonna get a few:

Rocks, Toys In The Attic, Get Your Wings, Aerosmith, Draw The Line, Let The Music Do The Talkin', Pump, Honkin' On Bobo, Night In The Ruts. In that order. They're the rawest-sounding ones but if you want the pop fluff they came out with a bit later: Nine Lives (though it still has some great rockers on it), Get A Grip, Just Push Play and Permanent Vacation. I'm sure I missed one in there.

'Google' them and see what you come up with. Easy to find enough 'info' on. JPP and Permament Vacation are about the weakest. My signature link has a few albums in there that are good too that are inspired by the 'Smith - and you can see what else I listen to as well to give you some hints on what to check out next.

At the moment I'm right into Joe's solo albums. The 2005 and 2009 ones are awesome but they have to be loud to the point of breaking a window and then even louder.

^^^ Thanks Drew, i'll downl.... i'll buy all this. :)

Drew, you know how people say Mj's body language on stage is influenced by James Brown, in your opinion, who influenced Steven's body language ? I think Slash said Perry influenced his body language on stage, who did influence Joe Perry ? :)

You're gonna say i'm obsessed with this song but i do not care haha, here are two performances i love, i love seeing this song live, most of the time when u hear the last chorus (after he goes "now listen" onwards), it's all about adrenaline rush:

Dream On live in Argentina in 2007:

Dream On live in Las Vegas (in 2002 i think), i love the low notes he hits in this one:

Last edited:

I prefer their older stuff. Rocks and Toys In The Attic are two of the best rock albums ever made. I also love Get Your Wings.

I love their old stuff....Rocks is one of the greatest cds ever recorded and nobody's fault my fav song of theirs!

^^^ You're welcome ma friend from "in the Inbetween" !!!! :)
We gotta keep the thread going!!! As for my favourite post-2000 performance, this is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntqpwrfIM9c

I prefer their older stuff. Rocks and Toys In The Attic are two of the best rock albums ever made. I also love Get Your Wings.
GYW took me a while to get into. I know as soon as I heard Toys I was blown away and then I picked up Draw The Line, where that instantly, even over anything else became my favourite 'Smith record. Then I heard Chip Away The Stone, Riff And Roll and Live Bootleg - those three alone made that period totally the best for me.

I know it was the same with Jimi. Put on Are You Experienced and then played it again, and again after that and the next day, again. Axis I like a lot but I have to be a certain mood (such as with later 'Smith) and then Electric Ladyland, how it opens with the feedback on the first track reminded me a lot of how Toys opens - with a sudden impact and just hits ya.

I think we need a Jimi thread.

Last edited:
Back