Am I the only one...?

FrankMusic1982

Proud Member
Am I the only one who is disappointed that Thriller 25 could have and should have been better?

I've heard clips of the new remixes and I must say that I did not care for them. If the songs weren't broken to begin with, don't fix them.

I'm also extremely disappointed that there was no archival material (aside from just one song, "For All Time"). I guess I was spoiled by the Deluxe Edition of Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down, which threw in a lot of archival material, including alternate mixes, demos, and outtakes.

I had hoped that they'd do something similar for Thriller, the biggest selling album of all time. After all, there have been leaked several demo tracks, including studio demos of "Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (I have mp3s of them, and they are of rather poor quality). Outtake-wise, the full version of "Carousel" should have been included by default.

I can understand where Michael was coming from in terms of the remixed songs; he wanted to freshen them up for today's audience. But he didn't give much for those who have been enjoying the album for 25 years. Dare I say it: "oh, one outtake--whoop-de-doo." :D

Seriously though, I expected a whole lot more for the silver anniversary of the worlds biggest selling album of all time.

Many of you might say that it's my loss; I disagree. I'm losing absolutely nothing by not buying it. I've already got the 2001 Special Edition, which sounds phenomenal.

For kicks, this is my wish list of how Thriller 25 could have turned out:

Disc 1

Tracks 1-9: The original LP

Bonus Material:
The new remixes

Disc 2

Demos:

1. "Billie Jean" home demo (featured on 2001 Special Edition)
2. "Billie Jean" studio demo (previously leaked)
3. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" studio demo (previously leaked)
4. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) Michael's original demo, previously featured on The Ultimate Collection

Outtakes:
5. "For All Time"
6. "Got the Hots"
7. "Cheater"
8. "Sunset Driver"
9. "Carousel" (full version)

Other:
10. "Bille Jean" (Extended Version)
11. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Extended Version)
12. Vincent Price voice-over

Last edited:
You've been a member since 2004 and ur 1spost/thread is about bein dissapointed with a Mj release? how sad lol
i have no clue why im even posting in here lol but yea im guessin since no1 replied ur the only one whos upset, the album is great the remixes are great,, and the photos are great. So if u dont buy it its ur loss and i believe cheater was recorded 4 bad why wud they put it on thriller 25

boo hoo. Looks like Mj's sells reflect many people bought and enjoy it :p

you are welcome to your opinion Frank ;)

It seems obvious what the purpose of Thriller25 is/was meant to be. It is PR aimed at a new generation, that did not experience the original release of Thriller. By utilizing artists that the said generation identifies with, Michael is drawing that consumer in closer to his music.

Could he have added more for long time, hard core fans ... sure he could have. The point being, that was not the purpose of Thriller 25. Thriller 25 is marketing, plain and simple :D

I doubt that you are alone in your feelings about the contents of the CD set. However, many many many fans are loving what they have been offerred.

Last edited:
mainstream success aside, i'd say for us fans it could have been a lot more than what it turned out to be - not one person here wouldn't want to hear those extra/rare original material. but to be honest, both will.i.am mixes plus Akon's cover turned out much better than i expected and not too bad to keep listening to. and you say the Special Edition sounds great already, and it does... but T25 mixing/mastering is definitely out of this world - it's engineering at its peak and a notable difference to the SE. i'm personally happy with it having been skeptical at first.

T25 sucked for hardcore fans (except for the flashy album cover art) but it was good for casual fans. They were obviously aiming it at casual fans or just general music listeners, rather than hardcore fans.

myself, i enjoyed the thrill of hunting each version down and acquiring them all :) It was an adventure... a mini-MJ-scavenger hunt ;)

Thriller 25 was my first 'musicpass' purchase also. Until finding the Thriller 25 music pass in Best Buy ... or was it Target I found that ?? Anyway, until finding it where ever I found it, I did not know you could purchase online music on a gift card in a retail store.

T25 sucked for hardcore fans (except for the flashy album cover art) but it was good for casual fans. They were obviously aiming it at casual fans or just general music listeners, rather than hardcore fans.

Actually it didnt im a HARDCORE fan and i enjoyed it very much, sure it cudda been more but it wasnt so o well. its still great and the cover ahhh lol

Am I the only one who is disappointed that Thriller 25 could have and should have been better?

I've heard clips of the new remixes and I must say that I did not care for them. If the songs weren't broken to begin with, don't fix them.

I'm also extremely disappointed that there was no archival material (aside from just one song, "For All Time"). I guess I was spoiled by the Deluxe Edition of Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down, which threw in a lot of archival material, including alternate mixes, demos, and outtakes.

I had hoped that they'd do something similar for Thriller, the biggest selling album of all time. After all, there have been leaked several demo tracks, including studio demos of "Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (I have mp3s of them, and they are of rather poor quality). Outtake-wise, the full version of "Carousel" should have been included by default.

I can understand where Michael was coming from in terms of the remixed songs; he wanted to freshen them up for today's audience. But he didn't give much for those who have been enjoying the album for 25 years. Dare I say it: "oh, one outtake--whoop-de-doo." :D

Seriously though, I expected a whole lot more for the silver anniversary of the worlds biggest selling album of all time.

Many of you might say that it's my loss; I disagree. I'm losing absolutely nothing by not buying it. I've already got the 2001 Special Edition, which sounds phenomenal.

Disc 1

Bonus Material:
The new remixes

Disc 2

Demos:

4. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) Michael's original demo, previously featured on The Ultimate Collection

Outtakes:
5. "For All Time"
6. "Got the Hots"
7. "Cheater"
8. "Sunset Driver"

Other:

I would say, as i have said over and over, that Michael has not included a barrage of archived tunes from his vault for good reason - His career is still active! While he is still trying to be relivant and appeal to the newer and current audiences he has made the right move by modernising Thriller to broaden the spectrum of who it appeals to.

When Michael retires, i assume he still would like things from his archives that no one has ever heard, to make his later anniversary releases more special. Bringing all he rabbits out of the hat at age 49 whilst he is still making NEW music would be silly. When Thriller turns 40, or 50, and another celebration edition comes out, wouldnt it be sad if he had NOTHING to include in that.

Adding archived tunes on top of the remixes would also require an additional CD be added to the collection, meaning ditch the DVD, or make is a 3 disc set, and bump up the prices, and sell far less copies.

Now to be blunt on the subject of actually making this thread. I know you're only stating your opinion but it came out almost 2 months ago. There have already been numerous threads of this topic created designed for the whingers to complain and moan that they didnt get their 4minute version of Carousel (which is actually available in FULL for FREE download)

I dunno, am I over reacting? I dont think so personally. You got something instead of nothing. Like it or lump it. Deal. Move on. And wait for the next thing he releases to come out if you dont like T25.

Last edited:

Disc 1

Bonus Material:
The new remixes

Disc 2

Demos:

Outtakes:
5. "For All Time"
6. "Got the Hots"
7. "Cheater"
8. "Sunset Driver"

Other:

We have the ultimate collection and all the special editions with archival material. I don't see what else they could have done to Thriller, really. They have released it that many times that this was really the only way to go- make it appeal to a NEW audience instead of just fans. And it's absolutely worked. It's selling several thousands of copies a week. :yes:

Extended versions of WBSS and BJ are commercially available on "The 12" Mixes", Carousel full version is available in good quality from Mike Sembello's site, for free, complete and legal and PYT, as stated is on TUC. Sunset Driver is an OTW outtake and Cheater is a Bad outtake.

We have been spoiled plenty. :yes: IMO

And Bob George, I am a really hardcore fan and I love Thriller 25. :yes:

But, each to their own. :)

Last edited:
We have the ultimate collection and all the special editions with archival material. I don't see what else they could have done to Thriller, really. They have released it that many times that this was really the only way to go- make it appeal to a NEW audience instead of just fans. And it's absolutely worked. It's selling several thousands of copies a week. :yes:

Extended versions of WBSS and BJ are commercially available on "The 12" Mixes", Carousel full version is available in good quality from Mike Sembello's site, for free, complete and legal and PYT, as stated is on TUC. Sunset Driver is an OTW outtake and Cheater is a Bad outtake.

We have been spoiled plenty. :yes: IMO

And Bob George, I am a really hardcore fan and I love Thriller 25. :yes:

But, each to their own. :)

Wow you said what i wanted to say without blabbering!
AMEN MARNDIZZ!

This thread’s déjà vu! /2023
Lol, well I will say that I think the Thriller 25 remixes haven't really aged all that well (don't "hate" them, per se, just... yeah). The concept for 40 was... better, if very imperfectly executed, but I do not wish to bring that discussion here. 25 had the better cover photo though, hands down.

And For All Time!! Worth it just for that alone, IMO.

Back