Anyone else feeling depressed about "Michael"?

Fiona

Guests
I never thought it'd come to this, but being a Michael Jackson fan just doesn't feel worth it anymore. It breaks my heart to say that, because I love and admire and respect the man and how I feel has nothing to do with the man himself. But I see fans discussing the new songs, starting survivor threads etc and I just feel completely isolated, numb and depressed by all of it.

Through the trial, through 1993, through Bashir at least we still had the music. Now the music is the centre of the controversy and it's just getting me down to a point where I don't even want to listen to ANYTHING from the new album. Infact, whenever I see the album I just feel like I want to take it back to the shop and get a refund. This isn't what I waited nine years for.

I don't know how I feel about the Cascio situation, but even the very thought of Michael being betrayed by friends who he considered to be family breaks my heart. And the thought of the people Michael trusted to handle his estate willingly overlooking the opinions and wishes of Michael's own mother is just shocking to me. The fact that the estate have the nerve to thank his family in the album booklet, knowing how unhappy the family are about this release is just a huge insult.

This is why I don't feel like I can enjoy these songs. Where's the consideration for Michael's family or his fans? This album should've been cause for celebration, but it's just been the cause of controversy, disappointment and heartache.

Yep... But I'm trying not to think about it too much... It'll work it self out some time...

But as for as being a Michael fan is the most beautiful experience! Everything cant be Find and dandy everytime. This is when our faiths in Michael is tested!You cant give up because of this. It's Michael's Music, Eventhough he is not here, The music is still here. He did all the songs and it is our duty to fall through for him for what he has given us. But its your choice, but as for me, I Love him More and More And MORE Every single second.

The funny thing is that this whole controversy wasnt even thought of in September or earlier...everything started with TWITTER, and WE DO not even have a proof of anything other than ppl. sayin' it aint Michael. What I suggest is that We have our own minds and think for ourselves and not what others are saying. Just listen to the music... As Michael has said before, "if you hear a lie often enough, you start to believe it"!

I want to say something about the family, but, I dont wanna get banned or anything. lets just leave it at that!

Being a fan doesnt have just about the music, what keeps me strong is not only because of his music, it is because of the man he was. There's nothing like it!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Last edited:
im not depressed so much, i am conflicted. itshard to hear some of the songs yet the 3 that were scetchy i replaced but its still hard to hear him sing these songs nowing that he isn't here to enjoy them all with us. that bit depresses me

No, I really don't understand. I don't mean to sound without compassion, but I think fans need to find the strength to move on. Do you think that for one second that MJ would want the fans that he loves so dearly to hang their heads down and mope for the rest of their lives? Of course not! Grieving is perfectly acceptable but there does need to come a time when a person is ready to accept and maybe even embrace the fact that their loved one is gone. Michael ain't sad. Michael is FINALLY the happiest he's ever been in his new life. He is no longer earth bound. He's no longer held back by society's rules. He can live life as he sees fit in the great beyond. No, no more being made fun of, no more lies. PEACE. Michael Jackson has peace and joy. 'Michael' is a rare opportunity that we may have never had, but we DO, so we should take advantage, and celebrate Michael's life and legacy through his music. I don't doubt for one second that MJ would want us to have "new" music from him. No doubt at all. MJ wants his fans to be happy, just as he is. Sure, we'll always be sad but I for one could never truly wish for him to come back, for that would be selfish. No one deserves true happiness more than the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Try to find your "best of joy" and celebrate the life and music of Michael Jackson. Who cares about the controversy? Who cares what anyone thinks? Michael himself sure didn't. If you feel the love, that's all that matters. So go on with your bad selves and get your celebration on. We have a new MJ album after almost an entire decade. BE HAPPY!!!! Represent MJ as he deserves to be, and that's through L.O.V.E. Smile. ;)

No, I really don't understand. I don't mean to sound without compassion, but I think fans need to find the strength to move on. Do you think that for one second that MJ would want the fans that he loves so dearly to hang their heads down and mope for the rest of their lives? Of course not! Grieving is perfectly acceptable but there does need to come a time when a person is ready to accept and maybe even embrace the fact that their loved one is gone. Michael ain't sad. Michael is FINALLY the happiest he's ever been in his new life. He is no longer earth bound. He's no longer held back by society's rules. He can live life as he sees fit in the great beyond. No, no more being made fun of, no more lies. PEACE. Michael Jackson has peace and joy. 'Michael' is a rare opportunity that we may have never had, but we DO, so we should take advantage, and celebrate Michael's life and legacy through his music. I don't doubt for one second that MJ would want us to have "new" music from him. No doubt at all. MJ wants his fans to be happy, just as he is. Sure, we'll always be sad but I for one could never truly wish for him to come back, for that would be selfish. No one deserves true happiness more than the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Try to find your "best of joy" and celebrate the life and music of Michael Jackson. Who cares about the controversy? Who cares what anyone thinks? Michael himself sure didn't. If you feel the love, that's all that matters. So go on with your bad selves and get your celebration on. We have a new MJ album after almost an entire decade. BE HAPPY!!!! Represent MJ as he deserves to be, and that's through L.O.V.E. Smile. ;)

great post :)

being a Michael Jackson fan just doesn't feel worth it anymore
Really? I think I feel your pain, Fiona, but I see things in a slightly different way. Yes, I do feel quite sad and confussed. I do feel this shouldn't be happening. And I do feel the division among fans has reached scary new dimensions. And I don't like it at all.

I own Michael. I wait for it to arrive so I could listen to it in the old-fashion way. But for me there is simply too much pain involved in it so yes, I avoid it. I want to hear some of the tracks, but still the whole thing is too painful. Maybe, as some other fellow fan has been saying ever since we learned about this album, it was too soon for this release. Who knows.

The only thing I am totally sure of is how much I love and admire Michael Jackson and I have make a personal commitment to NOT LET this album, nor any other issue, to take that love and admiration away from me. Michael Jackson's legacy was created and sealed by Mr. Michael Jackson himself during his life and I came to love Michael Jackson while he was with us. Let's be happy we have this privilegde.

Albums will come and go. So will DVDs, comments, wrong and right decitions about certain things related to Michael. And sure, many more discussions, for let's face it! That is part of the escense of us as MJ fans :lol:

As time goes by, I am sure many would come to wish they would have had at least one of the choices we had when he was with us. There's more than this particular album when it comes to Michael Jackson. In fact, much, much more than it.

Let's not get our hearts feel totally broken. Michael might be gone from us and it hurts terribly, but his music, his love, his dance, his magic, his wors, his every single thing is deep within each one of us. Why let any single issue break that bond?

I love you, Michael!!!!

Last edited:
I dont know why but everytime i listen to "keep your head up" it makes me feel more depressed bout mjs death.

Its a very sad situation because MJ fans want to hear the music Michael created but at the same time it seems that people closest to him in working with music have deceived us. The whole thing is screwed up and does nothing for Michaels legacy. Its just sad because the estate didnt have to go this route. I feel Michaels works should stay true to what he wanted and not be tampered with and in this situation thats what hurts the most.

I understand what you are saying. This should indeed be a celebration but instead it has become nothing but debate and it really takes away from the whole experience. The only thing you can do to avoid that is not read it.

But it doesn't really bother me because I've learned that with each and every single Michael Jackson release, show, event, song....whatever, comes controversy. It stems back from the "BAD" album and continues onward to this very day. With each new release and show came some type of speculation about something that went along with that. Why is that? Well I have my own beliefs on that but I'll let you decide for yourself.

My suggestion is if you feel that strongly about the album is to get rid of it. We have a bad habit as MJ fans of feeling we "Have" to have it just because Michael's name is on it. No matter how many copies we have of the same material or what we personally think of the material itself. There is nothing wrong with not liking the album or any album or song for that matter. There are songs from years past that I can not stand to listen to and the same can be said for this album.

When I listen to "Michael" I too develop mixed emotions. I wonder if this is what MJ would have wanted, have no choice but to wonder if its him because of so much debate (though I dont really buy into it), etc. etc. I personally feel as though the album is average at best but that is my opinion. It isn't going to stop me from enjoying what MJ built until his last day here and it shouldn't stop you either.

I'm numb to the fact that people mock him and that there is always some "controversy" to speak of. I often read and hear of people becoming so upset when things take place but all I can personally do is shake my head and move on. People know how I feel and I know how they feel and we leave it at that. Nothing is going to change my perspective at this point considering I feel as though I (we as fans) have heard it all before.

I know I am feeling depressed about Michael. Ever since I had gotten that album in the mail on Wednesday. I have yet to open the package that it came in. I am still wishing that I had never pre order that album from Amazon.com. And I am still kind of thinking about sending that album back. All the years I have been a Michael Jackson fan I would never ever have thought I would live to see the day where I would actually dread of wanting to open let alone listen to a new MJ album. It certainly is a very big change for me from when Invincible was to be release. Back then I was just so happy and excited to get to the mall on the release date and to be getting the album in both cassette and cd form. Now with this album I just feel the complete opposite of how I was then. Thankfully I have my other MJ albums to listen to. Well except for the Invincible album.

It's saddening all the fighting. But MJ's music helps me through it. I've listened to the new album start through finish about 10 times already and I know that's Michael Jackson right there. I can feel it in my heart and soul. Those are his lyrics, that is his voice. I really love the new album. I forget about everything on this forum and just listen to the songs. It's really an amazing album given the circumstances. It's a shame all of this unfolded but I believe through time things will sort themselves out.

Michael Jackson has the greatest music in the world. Go into a dark room and listen to Best Of Joy. How can you resist?

I have mixed emotions. It's hard Michael not being here. I think it's still adjusting to how things are now. I think we are not all at the same place in dealing with things. That's okay and we will get there in our way and time.

since that day, the bickering among MJ fans never seems to stop, I've been checking the boards and chatting to MJfans if it's get too hot I leave for a little while coz' it's gets me--it's depressing. I for was part of the doubters but I still bought the album I won't let one song spoil it for me there's the skip button, and 9 years of wait --I will not let some BS crap ruin it for me, this new album is all we got and we're getting, I'm just gonna enjoy every bit of it--NO MATTER WHAT.

listening to new album still gave me that 'Michael' feel but reality tends to spoil it for me but I still enjoyed it, been playing it on repeat since the 'leaked' and when I bought the album It's now set on repeat for 3 days now.

Ya know fiona its up to you wither or not you want to stick by Michael and be his fan or not. But did you feel that it wasn't worth it in 2005? Being an mj fan means your there for him wither hes here or not. I dont mean to sound harsh Fiona but just because he died doesn't mean you have to love him any less. It doesn't mean you have to love his music any less. Being an MJ fan means your there for him in every way, shape and form. Michael means so much to so many people for many different reasons. Don't let his passing change anything you feel for him. This album only means he left behind music to remember him by regardless of his legacy we all know thats never going to change. He is inside all of us, hes built a home in our hearts and he will never be evicted...

And btw its not a bad thing if we are still mourning him it shows we still care for him and love him.

Almost every his album release and some single releases have surrounded controversy somehow. Thriller video had controversy, then Bad and his paler skin-tone. Then Black Or White and In The Closet. Then Scream and many HIStory tracks, especially They Don't Care About Us. Then Blood On The Dance Floor. Then Invincible with its 'Sony sucks' theme.. It just goes on and on. But I believe in the end people remember only the great music. Because the controversy use to disappear, the music won't.

Fiona, I totally understand how you feel. To be honest, I feel slightly diappointed myself. We are all hyped up and set our expectations too high. The anticipation for the first album in nine years is just too huge.
It seems the release of album doesn't live up to our expectations. Instead of a new MJ era, we got controversies. All these controversies will come and go. But, music is here to stay. If the music on the new album bothers you, then it is totally okay for you to stay away from the new album. You don't need to love everything that bears the name Michael Jackson. Don't let that thought stress you out. Being a fan doesn't mean we have to blindly accept every Michael Jackson product out there.

Being a Michael Jackson fan is one of the most beautiful experience I've ever had. The man is physcially gone, but his spirit is ever presence. He lives in my heart. I think of his grace, his strength, his heart of gold everyday. Michael gave us so much good music in his 50 years with us. The music he created in his life lives forever. Michael's legacy lives forever.

Being a Michael Jackson fan is definitely worthwhile. He never stops enriching my life for I listen to his music everyday.

I am not depressed about "Michael" because I love this album. But I am very depressed about what's going on around the album with the vocals dicussions etc.

I think we are all taking this way too far. The worst happened in 2009 and look what they did to us to 2005 so why are we acting like everything has always been perfect and now it's ruined? You'd think we'd be much more wiser and stronger by now...

This new album might not do too well but it is released at a bad time with a bad lead single and they can't spend huge amounts on promotion because there are no new videos, performances or a tour so naturally, they must be limited to make a profit out of the project.

People (general public) still respect Michael as they did in 2009. Do you remember? He's still up there as the King of Pop.

For me, being a Michael Jackson was and has been a life saver. I would be nothing without him. He changed me when he was alive and when he passed, he changed me then too and he always changed me for the better. I love him for all time.

I miss Michael Jackson so much. I'm not really depressed about 'Michael' the album because of the songs - I like them (although i am uncomfortable about the Cascio's tracks issue). I am a bit depressed though because having the new product (and the MJ The Experience Wii game) has added to the reminder that MJ isn't here to participate in all of this.

I'm very sad about all this. I'm one of those who don't like a Cascio tracks. I'm sure there is some MJ on them, but I don't know how much. Or if it's all MJ then his voice got so over-processed that it's scandalous. Even Teddy Riley admitted his voice is too over-processed on those songs, too much Melodyine and stuff and he apologized for that. So in best case it's "just" over-processed to death, in worst case it's someone else singing. Either way these songs should never have been on an album! If the raw material was so bad in quality that they needed to do this with it then they should have left them in the vault and pick something else!

Also, how would you like if they changed some lines in the poems of your favourite poet, just because they are somehow ashamed to released those lines? Wouldn't it be a scandal if they changed a poem of Shakespeare and release a modified version just because some publisher didn't like the original? What I'm talking about the changed lyrics of Hollywood Tonight! That they cut out the "Because she's only fifteen" part!

No dear Sony, Michael was NO child molester and there is no shame in him singing against child abuse! What he is singing about in HT happens all the time in Hollywood! Just look at Britney Spears, look at Miley Cyrus. What Michael is singing here is the reality of Hollywood careers and what Hollywood does to children!

DYKWYCA is an awesome song both musically and lyrically but after this forget it that they will ever release it.....

So yes, I'm really frustrated with so many things about these album. Some of the songs on it are great and I like them as songs, but as a whole, as an album it doesn't work for me. It's lacking Michael's magic. OK, I accept that he is not here to finish it and we cannot do anything about that, however I'd like if all people who work on the album would put all their heart and knowledge into it - and if everybody working on the album would be a top guy in his field! I don't like Teddy Riley boasting about how he finished a song in 5 hours, you know..... Unfortunately it shows Teddy, that you finished it in 5 hours.

I think we are all taking this way too far. The worst happened in 2009 and look what they did to us to 2005 so why are we acting like everything has always been perfect and now it's ruined? You'd think we'd be much more wiser and stronger by now...

This new album might not do too well but it is released at a bad time with a bad lead single and they can't spend huge amounts on promotion because there are no new videos, performances or a tour so naturally, they must be limited to make a profit out of the project.

People (general public) still respect Michael as they did in 2009. Do you remember? He's still up there as the King of Pop.

For me, being a Michael Jackson was and has been a life saver. I would be nothing without him. He changed me when he was alive and when he passed, he changed me then too and he always changed me for the better. I love him for all time.

Couldn't have said it any better. :clapping:

Quote :
"What I'm talking about the changed lyrics of Hollywood Tonight! That they cut out the "Because she's only fifteen" part!"

Are there different versions of the album and booklets? On mine it is not cut out!

Totally feel u with that. All the bickering & fighting bout whether the vocals are real or not is getting beyond a joke.

l am depressed too because everyone wants to have money in his back.
Michael doesn't deserve all this.
Michael would never release such this shit album ,he is the greatest artist ever.
Michael would never let his children go to ship show Oprah why his mother does this for him.
l feel bad for all this ,l know that will never happen but l want Michael comes back and say stooooooooooooooooooop to all this like he did in his Ghosts movie.

Being a Michael - fan brings me joy. There were bad times..there were times when I was in pain almost as much as he was. I was allways on a roller-coaster of emotions ( like he said :) ) but not for one second I doubted anything about Michael.
Through all of my life - he was and IS the only constant of love in my life.
I can"t imagine my life without him in my mind and heart. I love him beyond words.
There was allways controversy about him and it will never go away. I don"t mind, really.
He is so much more than " the greatest entertainer of all time." He is bigger than life.
Everybody in the world knows who Michael Jackson is. ( even aliens know who he is. :) )
He is the eight wonder of this world. I feel PROUD for loving him.

Fiona...what I'm about to reiterate here is only going to make you sadder, but I'm saying it anyway as others have in this post, because the shock of the words always jolts me back into a reality that trivializes much of everything else, and that is …MICHAEL IS GONE. When I say those words aloud, that puts everything else back in perspective. The controversy over this new album gets smacked down to a level of inconsequence in comparison. Michael is gone. His legacy stopped being shaped on June 25, 2009. This new album signifies that.

Like I think everyone, I had anxiously looked forward to the album believing it would provide work that Michael had creatively and technically fully COMPLETED and just decided not to issue at the time for whatever reasons of his own. Apparently, that’s not the case. Okay, so I know that now. That hurts. My expectations were high, helped along of course by the label, and my own excitement. But Michael is gone. Everything that is produced now is coincidental and only as consequential as I choose to make it. Who provides the material, be it the Cascios, former collaborators or producers doesn’t really matter. It’s all going to be pieced together work, with a lot of MJ or very little. That’s the revelation. I know now I need to adjust my expectations for future releases or do away with them entirely, and either check out what is released and decide one way or another if I like it, or not bother with it at all.

Michael definitely released songs over his career that did absolutely nothing for me. So what? He and his brilliance gave me so much, it just doesn’t matter. I’ve listen to his music for most of my life and now can go to youtube and relive his performances again and again and go WOW! WOW! WOW! Before I know it, I'm grinning from ear to ear, or singing with him. or am up dancing. That's what Michael gave me. An unbelievable joy that just blows me away. He’s gone now, and no one is taking what he gave me away from me, not the media, not the label, not controversy, and not this album.

Please keep all this stuff in perspective. I’d love if there were decades more work of finished MJ, but if that’s not the case, we have so much of him to be grateful for, even beyond his work. Can you even imagine never having had him in our lifetimes? Now that would be unbearably depressing.

I got mine a few days ago, keep listening to it ever since and do enjoy ALL songs. I just LOVE it and consider it a gift from Michael no matter what. Once again, thank you Michael. IMO there's nothing to get depressed about, any more than we've been for the past 18 months. If you still do, well DON'T listen to it and move on. What difference does it make in the end?

Back