Anyone else here become a fan in the last few years?

Yup! I became a fan in 2007 too. Although it's funny cuz within weeks of falling into the world of MJ I became a diehard fan and in my heart of hearts it feels like I've been one my whole life! :happy:

yi think its cool how some pple became fans during the trial,i just never understood how pple didnt know anything about him until then lol. when pple say oh i became a fan in 03 im like wtf lol where were u in 1990 haha, but its cool nonetheless

Um, well I was three in 1990 and didn't really listen to music then. My parents only listened to music in their language and my older brother had long since moved past MJ to rap & hip-hop. I'm pretty sure Barney - yes, the purple dinosaur - was my first CD, and when I moved past that, the Spice Girls and Britney and BSB were my next CDs. The R&B/Hip-Hop and Pop stations that I listened to NEVER played MJ. The few songs I heard were probably at the supermarket or something. I caught maybe only a handful of snippets of MJ's videos on MTV & VH1 - that is during the periods when I had cable - and MTV was increasingly cutting back on showing videos at all. None of my friends or anyone else I knew really listened to MJ either. And up through the trials, MJ may not have existed at all because not a soul in my high school even talked about them.

So michaelsson, it really isn't that inconceivable if you think about it. Before I discovered his brilliance fully, I was aware that MJ was a living legend, but beyond the chorus to like "Billie Jean" and 'Smooth Criminal" I couldn't tell you more than that. I knew he was in the J5 and knew the chorus for "ABC" because I had heard it on the playground. I knew he was influential but didn't see much appreciation of that fact. So how would I know? I had no idea about MJ and with the lack of media coverage (and negative coverage when they did show him) and airplay, it was hard to find out. BUT then you have places like YouTube - which was HUGELY influential in my becoming a fan. Because there's a goldmine of videos there. The music videos, interviews, clips, I mean everything. And seeing all that was what compelled me to not only keep watching, but find out more about this obvious genius of a man.

But I will tell you this. I do remember seeing a bit of Moonwalker on TV when I was little, maybe like 5 ot 6 (I don't remember much before the age of 7). I saw the part where MJ was having that dance off against Spike. And I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. But I didn't even really know who it was. Later, I realized it was MJ. I also remember a little bit of the Dangerous performance at the AMAs in '93 as well as the Black and White video before that, and I know I enjoyed them but they're very vague memories.

So maybe now you can try and understand how some fans became fans in later years? I for one wish I became a fan sooner - especially now - cuz the last few years with having MJ in my life have been amazing. But I don't regret falling into him when I did because I think it was meant to happen that way.

Last edited:
I was a fan until the trial were I got really pissed off with all the bs. So I left Michael's music alone until 2008 when I got Thriller 25 and got mesmerized by Billie Jean on Motown 25. This time around I am a much much bigger fan.

I became a fan in 2008 summer...I'm 26 and there was enough time for me to become a fan earlier, but when I grew up, my family didn't have MTV or any other media where I could listen to his music or see him perform. We didn't even have a video player back then...We were living in this small, overall poor area. Thinkin back, I feel like I once lived in one of those remote corners of this globe.

When I got older, I started listening to a lot of other artists from the US (mostly R&B, Soul, Hiphop), but when it comes to MJ, except for some of his biggest hits, I didn't really know more than that.

I wish I had become a fan much earlier. I always think about it.

Even when I was not a fan, I always had respect for Michael, which is what I'm proud of becuz the media constantly bashed him and it could easily brainwash you when you're not a fan. I officially began to call myself a "MJ fan" when I started passionately listening to his music.

Last edited:
Became a fan in mid/late 2004.

yi think its cool how some pple became fans during the trial,i just never understood how pple didnt know anything about him until then lol. when pple say oh i became a fan in 03 im like wtf lol where were u in 1990 haha, but its cool nonetheless

I knew bits about him... like the hat, moonwalk, glove, zombies, crotch grabbing and smooth criminal lean. But I didn't realize that he sang a lot of my favourite songs.. I was a fan of his without realizing it.

"Wait.. he sings Billie Jean?"
"Heal the world is a Michael jackson song?"
"smooth criminal?"
"ABC?.... You are not alone?...... The way you make me feel?"

I used to sing these songs all the time but I had no idea who sang them :doh:

always liked mj since he first started out but never really got into music in a big way.
but when i heard he had passed away it stirred something up in me which iam finding weird and hard to cope with.
i love the man for what hes done for the world and i will miss him.:(
but life goes on and we must all be strong for each other.

so i became a real fan from when he died which is kind of sad,i guess some of us didnt appreciate him until it was too late.

Became a fan in mid/late 2004.

I knew bits about him... like the hat, moonwalk, glove, zombies, crotch grabbing and smooth criminal lean. But I didn't realize that he sang a lot of my favourite songs.. I was a fan of his without realizing it.

"Wait.. he sings Billie Jean?"
"Heal the world is a Michael jackson song?"
"smooth criminal?"
"ABC?.... You are not alone?...... The way you make me feel?"

I used to sing these songs all the time but I had no idea who sang them :doh:

ACE, you surely are the only person who didn't know he sang Billie Jean. That's quality :doh::doh::D

Loving the stories guys, keep em coming....

Sadly I didn't become a fan until June 2009.
The first time I ever really heard of Michael was during the trial and I didn't really pay attention to it because I was only 14 years old and didn't really care about watching the news.
Now, the only music I listen to is his, and the only videos I watch on youtube are his. I really wish I would have become a fan earlier but I'm glad I finally came to my senses and took the time to try and get to know the real Michael Jackson through his music and videos made by his fans.

Im a fan since 2007.

A lot of people told me : I didint think they are still MJ's fans or Why are you a MJ fan ? Its not your generation !

My anwser is quite simple. No one came close to this day.

Last couple of weeks! I know it's late, but before his death I never took the time to watch any interviews or anything, and so was blinded by the tabloids view of him. As a result I never took the time to listen to much of his music. Since his death and the mass coverage of him, I took the time to try and understand the man better, and am delighted to say how wrong I was to just accept what the tabloids said. Wish I had realised a lot earlier now, as I now know what I was missing out on, what a talented guy he was. I've been urging those on other forums I go to, to take the time to just watch a few of his interviews on youtube, in the hopes that others will wake up as I have and see how misunderstood and misrepresented he is in the media.

Those who became fans after 2000, I beg you to post some details, it's so cool to read about such stories, especially that many ppl stopped listening to his music after the evil media and allegations.

I became a fan in early 2004 and joined MJJF in March 2004. (I am glad that MJJC still keeps my join date.)

Growing up outside of the United States, I don't usually listen to English songs. I certainly recognize the name "Michael Jackson", but I don't no much about this person. I wasn't born yet when Billie Jean came out, even though I remember vaguely watching Earth Song music video on TV when I was very young.

It wasn't until January 2004 when I watched a documentary about Michael on TV from a Chinese television. The documentary was shown an hour a day for 5 days, I believe. They show various clips ranging from his performances, interviews, and clips from Living with Michael Jackson. They also show clips of We Are The World and Heal The World, songs that I recognize but I had no idea who sing them. While watching the documentary, I was totally amazed not by Michael the performer, but Michael the person. I was touched by this caring, loving, generous, chidlike person and humanitarian.

I did a lot of research about Michael and started listen to his songs. It seems like the more I know Michael, the more I love this person. Reading Oxford Union Speech brings me to tears. Michael inspires me in so many ways, and prompt me to be dedicated to give back.

I might be late in terms of being a fan, but it's never too late. Now that he's gone, I feel so lucky to have known this great man as I live, be inspired by him, and have learned from him. Thanks Michael for everything you taught me.

Why are you a MJ fan ? Its not your generation!

I totally understand that feeling. Most of my peers will never understand what Michael means to me and some think I am weird. To be honest, I don't care anymore. They are missing out that they don't know Michael.

I just love hearing these stories of how you newer fans became a fan of Michael's. As for me I am one of his old fans. I have been a fan of Michael's for over 25 years now. I am 29 now so technically I have been a fan of Michael's almost practically my entire life. And I knew back then when I became a MJ fan it was going to be a life time sentence for me. And I have totally loved it ever since.

I totally understand that feeling. Most of my peers will never understand what Michael means to me and some think I am weird. To be honest, I don't care anymore. They are missing out that they don't know Michael.

I feel the same way, for my generation Michael has been presented as some sort of freak show, which is so far wrong I can't put it into words. He's one of the most genuine human beings I've ever seen, and I wish more people could see that. None of my friends would understand if I explained to them how kind, and generous he is because all they see is the persona the media has created and tarred him with, it's the only Michael they've ever known.

The positive side, for me at least, is that it took watching just 1 interview with him to spark my interest and change my mind. In the space of about 3 weeks he's gone from "that weird singer", to being someone that I look up to massively, as someone that is so kind and loving, that I feel if we were all more like him then the world would be a better place. I can only hope that those of my generation take the time to see the guy behind the tabloid rubbish.

I'm always suprised at people who say they became fans during the trial. It was such a hard time and his name was being tarnished once again, how did some non-fans find good in that situation and become fans of MJ? Always suprising to me.

For me it was around the Invincible Era. 2001 i guess. I really didn't know much about him before. But, His incredible talent just blew me away. Not only his music, but his personality. Michael has taught me so much about love, and strength. It's amazing how he could do that. These have been the best years of my life....it sucks that he's gone now :(

ACE, you surely are the only person who didn't know he sang Billie Jean. That's quality :doh::doh::D

Loving the stories guys, keep em coming....

Tell me about it.

But I never pay attention to who the singers are. I started listening to Stevie Wonder a few weeks ago, I got his greatest hits collection and I can't believe how many songs of his I knew already!

I'm always suprised at people who say they became fans during the trial. It was such a hard time and his name was being tarnished once again, how did some non-fans find good in that situation and become fans of MJ? Always suprising to me.

You have to remember that he was EVERYWHERE at that time. Especially for a new fan like me that didn't know anything about him, you start to get curious. And it's hard to not be pulled in by his amazing talent.

I remember his sales during the trial, his catalogue was still outselling Mariah's, Janet's, Cher's...

Well, I didn't become a fan during the trial, but I think I can understand. Even though the media was attacking him, they probably happend to become interested in his music and started listening during the period. Not only that, I think some of them probably saw through the evil schemes of those money-hungry people and the racist system which tried to kill this powerful black man. It's a proof that the media cannot totally control people's minds. Of course, these people were likely to be old enough to think this way. Like, at least, in their mid- or late-teens.

I became a fan in late 2002. Till now I can't figure out what it was exactly that lead me to discover him. Before that time I didn't know ANYTHING about him except his name and that he was huge. It still amazes me today how I could not have known anything at all..including thriller or billie jean or anything. I was 14 at the time and wasn't really into music that much anyway. But I think I was blessed in that at that time I didn't know any tabloids or any information that may have made me biased..I don't think I even had a clear image in my head of how he looked like lmao. talk about surreal. Then after watching an MTV countdown of MJ's videos..I was amazed and decided to download all of his albums from off the wall to invincible. then each week I would listen to one album in chronological order and let it sink in. After that ofcourse I watched all of his amazing short films and documentaries and concert performances. In fact it amazes me sometimes that although I've been a fan for 7 years now..and think that I know everything there is to know about him...I never fail to learn something new..or see or read something I never knew before. The only sad part for me is that after seeing and loving all of his work..I never got to experience the release of a new album or a concert..or even a new short film.

umm...well i only became a full blown fan in 2002 one year after the 30th anniversary concert. vh1 aired it in nov. 2002 and i had just gotten vh1 so i came across it and loved it. well mostly i was in lust with michael during that show.:dribble:and it made me remember how much i always loved the jacksons.
i've always known his music and i bought his "got to be there" album when i was little and some jacksons 45's but never really followed him or cared one way or the other about him before 2002.:smilerolleyes:
so i started wondering about the '93 allegations, did some research and realised i didn't believe them.
anyway, been in love with him as an artist and a person ever since.:yes::D

The positive side, for me at least, is that it took watching just 1 interview with him to spark my interest and change my mind.

That's totally true. I became a fan during the trial. Once I saw the interviews, I know in my heart that there is no way in the world that he can be guilty. I can see it in his eyes and feel it in his voice how much he loves children and he sincerely wants to give and help. How could this person ever be guilty of these accusations?

I just love hearing these stories of how you newer fans became a fan of Michael's. As for me I am one of his old fans. I have been a fan of Michael's for over 25 years now. I am 29 now so technically I have been a fan of Michael's almost practically my entire life. And I knew back then when I became a MJ fan it was going to be a life time sentence for me. And I have totally loved it ever since.

I think it's totally true that once you're an MJ fan you never really stop. you might drift away and drift back, but it never goes away. It's because we're fans for the music and the man, so why would you stop. It's not like you're a fan of Bros for example (remember them? LOL!), so they have few crap tunes and teenage girls think they're hot. It doesn't work like that with MJ.

Plus, being an MJ fan couldn't really be classed as a mini hobby because well, let's face it, over the last years, it's been hard work (but fun also :D). A lifetime sentence is an interesting way of describing it! You have to put in lots of effort for your fandom. In the past and especially from 2003 - 2005, to put your hand up and say you're an MJ fan, you had to be pretty strong and tough, to cope with what people came back at you with (I have lots of experience of that!). And you had to be totally prepared to defend him AND yourself. I have a long article thing called 'The truth about Michael Jackson fans' and I think it sums it up nicely. I'll type it up and post as I only have a printed copy.

All this combined = mass mourning now.

the first time i heard HEAL THE WORLD
i was shocked....cuz he is def not the voice i have been thinking about
it is soooooo soft ,shy,tender
i took him as a macho rock man before.....
but its not my destiny song
it just shocked me by his voice
which shocked me by the song is Bille Jean
i just wanna say"omg,whats this??please let me listen again...."
i also regret my late being a fan
but better later than never
and i agree that
I totally understand that feeling. Most of my peers will never understand what Michael means to me and some think I am weird. To be honest, I don't care anymore. They are missing out that they don't know Michael

I became a fan in early 2004. :)
I almost didn't know anything about him before that.

Heya i started this thread, and yeah thats the exact same with me, I didnt know hardly anything (only that he sung You Rock my world, billie jean, and smooth criminal, and thats it) about him.

Then my best mate brought his number ones album, and it blow the top of my head, every song is just incredible!!!!! And i was doing a paperround at the time, so i got to see the media coverage of the trial and up to that, and i knew they were liars as each paper would say something different, so they couldnt all be right.

Then i brought the number ones album too on cd and dvd and just fell in love.

Jackie xxx

always liked mj since he first started out but never really got into music in a big way.
but when i heard he had passed away it stirred something up in me which iam finding weird and hard to cope with.
i love the man for what hes done for the world and i will miss him.:(
but life goes on and we must all be strong for each other.

so i became a real fan from when he died which is kind of sad,i guess some of us didnt appreciate him until it was too late.

Aww i feel for you i really do, but its good you appreciate him now :)

Jackie x

Sadly I didn't become a fan until June 2009.
The first time I ever really heard of Michael was during the trial and I didn't really pay attention to it because I was only 14 years old and didn't really care about watching the news.
Now, the only music I listen to is his, and the only videos I watch on youtube are his. I really wish I would have become a fan earlier but I'm glad I finally came to my senses and took the time to try and get to know the real Michael Jackson through his music and videos made by his fans.

Awww yeah im glad too, wish we could teach the world about the real michael, im gonna try in my own little way.

xx

Last couple of weeks! I know it's late, but before his death I never took the time to watch any interviews or anything, and so was blinded by the tabloids view of him. As a result I never took the time to listen to much of his music. Since his death and the mass coverage of him, I took the time to try and understand the man better, and am delighted to say how wrong I was to just accept what the tabloids said. Wish I had realised a lot earlier now, as I now know what I was missing out on, what a talented guy he was. I've been urging those on other forums I go to, to take the time to just watch a few of his interviews on youtube, in the hopes that others will wake up as I have and see how misunderstood and misrepresented he is in the media.

Wow yeah i hope many others will realise too :)

Jackie x

Back