Appeal Thread - Murray Filed for Appeal / Update: Appeal DENIED

Re: Appeal Thread - All Discussion / Update: Murray Filed for Appeal

Murray 'practiced' medicine for years but he still couldn't get it right! I just don't want this guy making money from Michael yet again. The family should have gone after him to make sure he could never benefit from knowing him.

Does his appeal has to be done before he gets out of prison?

Dont think so

So, if he can continue with his appeal after he gets out of jail, I don't think it will work for him. At least in prison he is limited in the time he can give interviews, out of prison he will have all the time in the world to demonstrate how callous he is and I don't think that will work in his favor.

The justices look at whether anything legally caused "poor Conrad Muarry" to be convicted when in fact he should have been a free man. Whether he has remorse or not does not come into it. That is why Wass's brief needed to be properly done, with facts, legal points & citations, but from what we have read, it seems it is a mess. The appeal will be denied soon any way.

^^Got it. Thanks.

Court urged to reject Jackson doc's appeal

A state attorney says an appeal by the doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson's death should be rejected because there were no errors made during the criminal case that warrant overturning a jury's verdict.

Supervising deputy attorney General Victoria B Wilson wrote in a response to Conrad Murray's appeal that the former cardiologist's own lawyers forfeited several opportunities to object to a judge's rulings in the case.

The filing also states the rulings were not errors, and if they were decided differently it would not have changed the case's outcome.

Last month Murray appealed his four-year sentence for involuntary manslaughter, arguing a judge made multiple mistakes.

His attorney Valerie Wass said the state's filing overlooked several of her arguments and she will address those in another filing.

The popstar died of acute propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication on June 25, 2009.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/8671344/Court-urged-to-reject-Jackson-docs-appeal

His attorney Valerie Wass said the state's filing overlooked several of her arguments and she will address those in another filing.
-----------------------------

i bet she will. *rolls eyes*

I little longer story

COURT URGED TO REJECT JACKSON DOCTOR'S APPEAL
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY
— May. 14 1:34 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The involuntary manslaughter conviction of Michael Jackson's doctor should not be overturned because there were no serious errors made by the judge overseeing his criminal case, a state attorney wrote in a filing urging a court to reject his appeal.

Supervising Deputy Attorney General Victoria B. Wilson wrote in a response Monday to Conrad Murray's appeal that the former cardiologist's own lawyers forfeited several opportunities to object to a judge's rulings in the case.

Wilson's filing also states jurors were presented overwhelming evidence that Murray's actions caused Jackson's death and his conviction should be upheld.

Rulings cited by Murray's attorneys as legal errors by Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor were not mistakes, but rather kept the jury focused on whether the physician was responsible for Jackson's June 2009 death, Wilson wrote.

Murray remains jailed after being sentenced to four years behind bars for providing Jackson with the anesthetic propofol, which the singer overdosed on in his bedroom.

"The record shows that (Murray) was playing Russian roulette with Mr. Jackson's life over the course of several months," Wilson wrote.

His attorney Valerie Wass appealed the conviction in April, arguing that Pastor erred by not allowing jurors to hear evidence about Jackson's troubled finances, his contract with concert giant AEG Live LLC, and by not sequestering the jury and allowing television coverage.

Wilson wrote that none of those rulings were errors, or would warrant overturning Murray's conviction.

"The argument is nothing more than the reflection of a criminal defendant who harbors no sense of responsibility or remorse for taking the life of a human being," Wilson wrote.

"Of course I disagree," Wass said Monday night. "I believe there were serious errors made."

She said Wilson's filing didn't address her argument that the prosecution theory about how Jackson overdosed was incorrect and how additional forensic testing could demonstrate that.

Wilson's filing however noted that Murray's three-person legal team had access to evidence in the case for months before the trial, and in some cases conceded they hadn't thought to raise certain issues.

Wass said she would raise what she said were omissions in Wilson's response in a subsequent filing.

Jackson's finances and his relationship with AEG and Murray are the subject of a civil lawsuit being heard at a courthouse down the street from where Murray was convicted. The case brought by Jackson's mother against AEG claims the concert giant failed to properly investigate Murray before allowing him to serve as a tour doctor, and ignored signs of Jackson's poor health.

AEG denies wrongdoing, and a deputy medical examiner who conducted Jackson's autopsy told jurors Monday that the pop singer appeared to be in excellent health when he died.

Allowing the criminal jury to hear evidence of Jackson's massive debts and pending lawsuits would have been a distraction, and a mistake, Wilson wrote.

Pastor was right to be concerned that presenting evidence of Jackson's financial troubles "would result in a salacious sideshow of Mr. Jackson's finances and lawsuits and run the risk of distracting the jury from its task of deciding (Murray's) guilt," she wrote.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/court-urged-reject-jackson-doctors-appeal

Yes his appeal will be denied and then will be appealed to a higher court for a decision. which I'm sure they will also deny Murray's appeal.

Wass what is it that you do not understand? DENIED!!! If she couldn't give a coherent brief for the first appeal, how is she going to handle the next appeal? There she goes with that old story about how he overdosed was incorrect. Well Shaffer simple gave a demonstration based on the evidence, but if she comes out with more information, Shaffer will simply rework his model & again show another way in which Muarry overdosed Michael. Her argument is useless. Let's say I kill someone by throwing a knife into their chest, and the expert gives a theory that I could have stood over the body & plunged the knife into the chest--Who cares???? The point is I still killed this guy by pushing a knife into his chest.

She said Wilson's filing didn't address her argument that the prosecution theory about how Jackson overdosed was incorrect ...

I find it amazing that an attorney pretends to not understand how this works. It's disturbing.
The job of the prosecution is to get conviction from the jury. Btw, nice try sneaking "how Jackson [himself] overdosed." in there. So the coroner probably also got it wrong, huh?

So not only is the prosecution wrong in doing their job - nope, now Wilson is also required to follow that absence of logic.

Doesn't look like there's any way Murray can overturn his felony conviction, so at least in the US patient are safe from him.

"The argument is nothing more than the reflection of a criminal defendant who harbors no sense of responsibility or remorse for taking the life of a human being," Wilson wrote.

And the only one who doesn't see that is Conrad. He will never take responsibility for being on the phone & leaving Michael alone when he was supposed to monitor & assist Michael.

Appellate brief seeks reversal for Jackson doctor

By LINDA DEUTSCH
AP Special Correspondent
Published: Wednesday, Jul. 10, 2013 - 12:45 pm
Last Modified: Wednesday, Jul. 10, 2013 - 2:36 pm

LOS ANGELES -- A lawyer for Michael Jackson's doctor told an appellate court on Wednesday that Jackson's contract with AEG Live LLC should have been admitted as evidence in Dr. Conrad Murray's manslaughter trial.

In the last of a series of appellate briefs submitted to the California Second District Court of Appeal , attorney Valerie Wass said jurors did not consider the pressures placed on Jackson by the concert promoter before his death because they didn't see the contract.

The lawyer suggested that Jackson might have self-administered the drugs propofol and lorazepam because of his concern over fulfilling the terms of his contract for 50 performances of the show, "This Is It."

"Admission of the contract or evidence of its terms was necessary to show what was at stake for Jackson if he could not meet his contractual obligations, which was pertinent to establish his state of mind which may have explained his conduct on the day he died, and supported the defense theory of the case," the 24-page brief states.

The defense suggested that Jackson was so concerned about being unable to sleep that he gave himself the drug that caused his death.

However, witnesses at Murray's trial testified it was the doctor who administered the overdose of the anesthetic propofol to the sleep deprived Jackson.
An autopsy found the star died of acute propofol intoxication.

In the same filing, Wass reiterated her previous claim that Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor erred in refusing to sequester the jury.

"The unprecedented fame of Jackson combined with the pervasiveness of media coverage of the case rendered It Impossible for appellant to receive a fair trial with a nonsequestered jury," the filing said.

Wass also faulted the judge for allowing TV cameras at the trial.
Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and is serving a four-year sentence. Wass said he is due for release on Oct. 27.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/10/5557925/appellate-brief-seeks-reversal.html

The lawyer suggested that Jackson might have self-administered the drugs propofol and lorazepam because of his concern over fulfilling the terms of his contract for 50 performances of the show, "This Is It."

The lawyer's suggestion also suggest that Conrad left Michael for more than a couple of minutes if he had the time to self administer both drugs.

I think Murray's lawyer is offering this Appeal, just for he doesn't say that nothing was done. After all, all these absurd theses have been felled in the criminal action itself, they are only going in circles.
rolleyes.gif

Was wondering what was happening with this. its like groundhog day. the useless lawyer keeps coming up with the same arguments that are irrelevent to the conviction. has she even read up on the case!!

I love how she highlights the fact that Murray left Michael alone. Yeah that is going to help him out a lot

Re: Brenda Richie: Murray out of jail on October 27

Dammit ill be back in California by then and already feel slightly less at ease at the idea of this lunatic trying to get his license back. He should have at least two more years where he is.

He is not going to get his license back. No one is going to give a convicted killler a license to pratice

No license = be sure he'll make extra money off of MJ.
Great. I doubt any Jackson will sue for restitution.

They can't... Katherine didn't have to sue. Walgren and the judge were handing it to her when Murray was convicted. She could've been awarded 100 million dollars ( in theory) against Murray which he never would've been able to pay but it would've prevented him from profiting from killing MJ. Now he'll take his behind over to London and get paid mightily by the tabloids because he's desperate and a sociopath. Katherine could have prevented all of this but she doesn't care.

He is not going to get his license back. No one is going to give a convicted killler a license to pratice

What if his appeal is successful and then he can try to get his conviction overturned?

Too late, Katherine had only 1 change during CM trial, but she turned it down. There cannot be second chances and CM will be parading on front of the tabloids as much as any opportuninst out there in need for money. We have Fiddler, Wade R and some others spewing their shite on tabloids, and now we have to see CM there too:angry: :mat:

:mat:NO! If Murray gets an appeal, then I'm angry at the California justice system again. :mat: Stupid justice system, I knew they can't be trusted.

Was wondering what was happening with this. its like groundhog day. the useless lawyer keeps coming up with the same arguments that are irrelevent to the conviction. has she even read up on the case!!

I was going to say she had the same arguments too. Didn't the justices already respond to these same points? I will have to read back and see what happened when she presented the brief before.

Anthony McCartney @mccartneyAP
Jackson tweeps FYI: Court has set oral arguments in Conrad Murray's appeal for Jan. 9, 2014.

This should be good. Cant wait to see him turned down. No court is going to overturn or allow a retrial of that conviction.

LOS ANGELES — A California court has scheduled arguments next month for Michael Jackson's doctor to appeal his involuntary manslaughter conviction.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles set arguments in the case for Jan. 9.

An appeals court in Los Angeles announced Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, that it has scheduled oral arguments on Murray's appeal of his involuntary manslaughter conviction for the morning of Jan. 9, 2014.

Former cardiologist Conrad Murray is appealing his 2011 conviction on various grounds. He says a judge excluded jurors from hearing key evidence and should have sequestered jurors on the high-profile case.

The attorney general's office has said the issues cited by Murray's lawyers were not errors and are not a basis to give him a new trial.

Murray was convicted of causing Jackson's death by giving the singer an overdose of the anesthetic propofol on June 25, 2009.

Murray was released in October after serving nearly two years in jail.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/3243022f869540ed8dea15ac89b9bc25/US--Michael-Jackson-Doctor

Is that the oral agrument in thee actual appeal or the argument for an appeal to actually happen based on what they will argue in january? lets hope the judges arent haters

If he gets an appeal...doughnuts are gonna cost $800. -_- Valarie Wass says the exact same irrelevant thing each time..and if the system has at least common sense they won't overturn the conviction, so I'm not worried about this too much.

Back