Bad Tour DVD [CLOSED] Cont. discussion in The Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley DVD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bad Tour DVD (Disscussion Thread)

@pentum

Why are YOU a constant source of negativeness?
Oh, I'm the source? I'm flattered!

Sorry for not licking Sony and The Estate's ass constantly due to something terrible that happened on November 8 2010.

I've already voiced my opinion on how excited I am for the unreleased songs and live CD. The concert on the other hand, does not look promising.

Some people might see me as a very negative person, but I only want the best for MJ's legacy.

All this aside, does anyone know if the footage will possibly include showing Diana and Prince Charlies going to their seats? I have seen footage of it during Michael's PHM so it does exist.

That has nothing to do with his music and video recordings. Not the same.

The estate doesn't release his art, they don't need to.

okay another example then

Did Michael and his brothers recorded songs for their Jacksons variety TV show? - Yes they did
Does the master recordings exist? - Yes they do
Do we know where they are? - Yes at Hennry Vaccaro's possession
Does the Estate have access to them? - No
Can the Estate get them? - Well Michael have been trying for close to 2 decades . Estate is currently suing Vaccaro for the 3rd time.

Now you tell me how music and video recordings aren't the same.

Why are you constantly defending Sony and the Estate no matter what issue?

I have no problems with stating if there's an issue but only after I have all the information. I don't like to approach everything negatively and prematurely.

For example I tweeted a picture of Immortal Deluxe CD showing the error on the outer cover, I also complained about the error to the Online Team. I have no issues to state what I don't like.

If / when the DVD is released and/or more information -such as still shots or short final trailers etc- is given and the quality is not satisfactory according to my standards I will say it. However I won't rush into conclusions and negativity without proper information - especially as I am told that it will be addressed, MJNA's source told the quality is good and you have that Sony person tweeting "what I saw was not blurry" and "The concert is not film like the Another Part of Me video but the quality beats anything we've seen or will see." Current information points out the final work to be not Blu-Ray quality but decent DVD quality. And I'm personally okay with DVD quality.

Furthermore I'm not gonna forget what I know about Michael's business matters. I know some might be living in a perfect world but in the real life world Michael's business matters has been nothing but complicated. How can you ignore that Michael's own videographer kept the videos because he wasn't paid and so on? and he's the copyright owner of what he shot. Whether you like it or not, not everything is in Estate's possession or control and that's a fact. Same might or might not apply to concert recordings as well. We just don't know.

okay another example then

Did Michael and his brothers recorded songs for their Jacksons variety TV show? - Yes they did
Does the master recordings exist? - Yes they do
Do we know where they are? - Yes at Hennry Vaccaro's possession
Does the Estate have access to them? - No
Can the Estate get them? - Well Michael have been trying for close to 2 decades . Estate is currently suing Vaccaro for the 3rd time.

Now you tell me how music and video recordings aren't the same.

I have no problems with stating if there's an issue but only after I have all the information. I don't like to approach everything negatively and prematurely.

For example I tweeted a picture of Immortal Deluxe CD showing the error on the outer cover, I also complained about the error to the Online Team. I have no issues to state what I don't like.

If / when the DVD is released and/or more information -such as still shots or short final trailers etc- is given and the quality is not satisfactory according to my standards I will say it. However I won't rush into conclusions and negativity without proper information - especially as I am told that it will be addressed, MJNA's source told the quality is good and you have that Sony person tweeting "what I saw was not blurry" and "The concert is not film like the Another Part of Me video but the quality beats anything we've seen or will see." Current information points out the final work to be not Blu-Ray quality but decent DVD quality. And I'm personally okay with DVD quality.

Furthermore I'm not gonna forget what I know about Michael's business matters. I know some might be living in a perfect world but in the real life world Michael's business matters has been nothing but complicated. How can you ignore that Michael's own videographer kept the videos because he wasn't paid and so on? and he's the copyright owner of what he shot. Whether you like it or not, not everything is in Estate's possession or control and that's a fact. Same might or might not apply to concert recordings as well. We just don't know.

Fair enough. Let's wait for the final concert quality, then we can discuss again.

All this aside, does anyone know if the footage will possibly include showing Diana and Prince Charlies going to their seats? I have seen footage of it during Michael's PHM so it does exist.

This is a good point.

No matter how much the fans want to see just MJ.. Sony will want the DVD to appeal to a larger audience than the hardcore fan community.

So my point is this.. there will be cutaways (shots of the crowd, dancers, band, Diana and Charles maybe..) AND I highly doubt the show was vision-mixed live or after the show (unlikely because what's the point if it's not going to be shown on TV or get a general release like Bucharest '92/Yokohama '87).. until NOW.

Much like This Is It, editors will probably have access to a large amount of digitised media that's come from the original masters - B Roll footage of the crowd, dancers and band etc..

They won't release a video just of MJ's performance from just ONE camera focused on MJ, there would be multiple cameras and unless it was mixed live, DIRECTLY onto a VHS (which I imagine is very unlikely) then there is more evidence to suggest that this new DVD will be made from scratch.

This is all IMO by the way, I might be wrong. But from my experiences in the industry it just seems more likely to come from the masters and not a copy, especially not a VHS.

FYI: Vision Mixer - a device used to select between several different video sources and in some cases composite (mix) video sources together and add special effects.

Cannot we just contact the estate and tell them about our concerns, would that be a possibility? Because otherwise this kind of talk will last the next 4 months and we'll be so nervous! :(

Cannot we just contact the estate and tell them about our concerns, would that be a possibility? Because otherwise this kind of talk will last the next 4 months and we'll be so nervous! :(

The estate is aware of our concerns...Just a matter of when they'll be addressing it, as they are planning on it :)

The estate is aware of our concerns...Just a matter of when they'll be addressing it, as they are planning on it :)

Ok, great, I hope this anxiety will soon be over ;)

We all want this release but it is understandable we're questioning the quality from the circumstances given.

I hope we'll soon be addressed !

on a semi - related side note - example:

I'm looking to Hamid Moslehi's 2004 lawsuit against Michael. He says he worked for Michael from 1996 to March 2003 and he holds the right, title and copyright to all the footage he shot. He says he was always an independent contractor and not "work for hire".

If his claims are true that would mean that Estate cannot release anything Hamid shot without his permission and without buying it and/or paying him fees.

Photography/ videography can be a complex thing due to ownership and rights issues involved.

Foxy..;3648354 said:
They won't release a video just of MJ's performance from just ONE camera focused on MJ, there would be multiple cameras and unless it was mixed live, DIRECTLY onto a VHS (which I imagine is very unlikely) then there is more evidence to suggest that this new DVD will be made from scratch.
[/I]

From what they have said the video will be completely untouched. Of course they will restore it but original camera angles will be there. It was edited live when Michael was performing. They said this in official announcement:

"The DVD was sourced from Michael Jackson’s personal VHS copy of the performance as shown on the JumboTrons during the concert."

Camera work is going to be like this

[video=youtube;kHDKOAFzoGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDKOAFzoGY[/video]

This thread is rather big so I haven't picked up all the answers.

But is it definite that the footage we have seen came from the estate? Or is it not just possible that this is just footage from Wembley that they had in their possession for a news report or something?

This thread is rather big so I haven't picked up all the answers.

But is it definite that the footage we have seen came from the estate? Or is it not just possible that this is just footage from Wembley that they had in their possession for a news report or something?

No idea.

Galactus123;3648377 said:
From what they have said the video will be completely untouched. Of course they will restore it but original camera angles will be there. It was edited live when Michael was performing. They said this in official announcement:

"The DVD was sourced from Michael Jackson’s personal VHS copy of the performance as shown on the JumboTrons during the concert."

Camera work is going to be like this

[video=youtube;kHDKOAFzoGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDKOAFzoGY[/video]

This is July 14 btw.

on a semi - related side note - example:

I'm looking to Hamid Moslehi's 2004 lawsuit against Michael. He says he worked for Michael from 1996 to March 2003 and he holds the right, title and copyright to all the footage he shot. He says he was always an independent contractor and not "work for hire".

If his claims are true that would mean that Estate cannot release anything Hamid shot without his permission and without buying it and/or paying him fees.

Photography/ videography can be a complex thing due to ownership and rights issues involved.

Of course, legal issues may play a role here. It is not about blaming on the Estate. We are just saying what we want, from what we know. And we know very little. So it would be great, if they let us know more... but again we must be patient (luckily enough, you learn to be patient being a Michael Jackson fan :) )

I think we have to differentiate between two different questions:

1) the quality of the DVD release (I personally don't care that much about this one. I think the quality will probably be acceptable for a DVD. I don't think they will release garbage)
2) the fact that no BluRay release was announced: no matter how good the quality of the DVD may be, I will be disappointed if there is no BluRay release. Of course, a DVD is better than nothing (even a YouTube-Video or a VHS tape would be better than nothing and I would be glad about anything we can get). But it is just not what one would expect in the year 2012 (especially not if we consider that it is a Michael Jackson product what we are talking about). Maybe they plan to release the BluRay later. I hope so... and if not, I hope we can do something to change this.

Last edited:

I think we have to differentiate between two different questions:

1) the quality of the DVD release (I personally don't care that much about this one. I think the DVD will probably be acceptable for a DVD. I don't think they will release garbage)
2) the fact that no BluRay release was announced: no matter how good the quality of the DVD may be, I will be disappointed if there is no BluRay release. Of course, a DVD is better than nothing (even a YouTube-Video or a VHS tape would be better than nothing and I would be glad about anything we can get). But it is just not what one would expect in the year 2012 (especially not if we consider that it is a Michael Jackson product what we are talking about). Maybe they plan to release the BluRay later. I hope so... and if not, I hope we can do something to change this.

I do agree with this....A DVD is definitely better than nothing...I'm hoping for a fairly high quality DVD, although who knows if this is gonna happen....Bluray wasn't something I was expecting....It would be a dream come true to be able to watch this concert on Bluray, but I am (and have been since the beginning) happy with a good quality DVD release, and it seems the audio will be high quality as well..

But, yes, it's difficult to hide the disappointment that in this day and age, we need to worry about quality...Such a shame..

e0rg2g.jpg

:D

Last edited:

Karen probably know if the whole concert was shot on film.

This the response I got on Twitter when asked about it being on film
2012-05-30_14-41-03-1.jpg

Karen probably know if the whole concert was shot on film.

Why should she know? Also it is already known btw. It was shot on both 16mm and 35mm films and theoretically there could be a blu-ray if they get a hold of film reels.

"ripped from a dub copy"....what does that mean?

Karen Faye, what a credible source of information about Michael. :smilerolleyes:

Why should she know? Also it is already known btw. It was shot on both 16mm and 35mm films and theoretically there could be a blu-ray if they get a hold of film reels.
If I remember correctly it was said 2 wembley nights were shot on film. i just want to make sure the royal night was indeed filmed because this quote from the estate annocement
" This footage was only recently unearthed and is the only known copy of the show to exist. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back