BAD25 - designated Discussion Thread

Re: Michael Jackson BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For

If this concert has been shot on film it doesn't make any sense to release vhs quality dvd.

Well, the Estate says only VHS was available. That doesn't mean that's only source available. Cause it was shot on film. That means it's the only source they could achieve. Why? Dunno, maybe it's private film and dude asks too much money for it :scratch:

If you check out the footage from the Dangerous Tour at Wembley Stadium, it was filmed professionally with multiple camera angles all around the stadium. I wonder if the Bad Tour at Wembley had as many cameras at the gig as this did:

I don't think people are being negative, but confused. Why VHS quality for King of Pop when you can get Justin Bieber in Blu-Ray quality?

They don't have better quality, then fine, no problem, I'll buy what they have to release. But I'd also like to know who's got the film and why it isn't in the hands of the Estate.

I think of course many people are more than happy for the release, however I feel many people wonder whether one day we'll get the chance to see the blu ray quality. It doesn't have to be this year, but the question remains will there ever be a blu ray?

Let's assume the Estate "unearth" the recording of Bad Tour in film next year, or the year after next. It'll be highly unlikely that the HD Blu-ray version of Bad Tour will be released in the short future. Why? The Bad Tour is going to be released later this year. Why would they release the same concert series within a short period of time? It has never been done by any other. Bad 25 is a very important project and they have only one chance to get it right. The Blu-ray version of Bad Tour probably will not be released until years later. Sony has already made an investment in this project, will they make another investment in the same thing?

Concert that took place in the 80's can definitely be released in Blu-ray. It depends on whether they were shot on film. Queen's Rock Montreal in 1981 is amazing. When I walked into Best Buy and saw they played the concert in all the big screen TV's in good sound system, the impact was huge. I was mesmerized. At that moment, I thought it'd be really beyond-this-world if Michael's concerts can be played in such a way. I'm sure people would have stopped whatever they were doing and been captured by the magic. Will Best Buy play a DVD sourced from a remastered VHS rip? I highly doubt.

Again, I'm 100000% happy to see Bad Tour in Wembley will be released soon. However, I'm an individual capable of more than one emotion simultaneously. I'm happy and excited. That doesn't mean I can't be curious and skeptical the same time. I'm curious to why the Estate does not possess the film. If they don't, then who? Never a moment I believe the Bad concert was never shot on film. Michael was a perfectionist who demanded the best of the best. Why would he not have at least one out of the 123 concerts be filmed?

Thus far, I don't see anyone mention about not buying the DVD because of quality. Everyone is enthusiastic. Could we have a discussion without being seen as "pathetic"?

Well, the Estate says only VHS was available. That doesn't mean that's only source available. Cause it was shot on film. That means it's the only source they could achieve. Why? Dunno, maybe it's private film and dude asks too much money for it :scratch:

Assume there is indeed film in the possession of some other individuals. It would not make any sense for those individuals to ask for obsenely large amount of money. Why? They can't release the film commercially and make a profit without the approval and authorization of the Michael Jackson Estate. Ever noticed there isn't any Michael Jackson song featured in any unauthrorized Michael Jackson DVD's?

well we DO know that Michael recorded EVERYTHING that he did...every concert ...every appearance....the technology that was out at that time is THIS vhs...beta...maybe Michael had what the rest of us had,,,and that was vhs, I dunno....just a thought.

edited to add..Loveismagical...I know what you mean about the master footage....the estate should have that...it was recorded with a camera....and they SHOULD have that....I dunno ....guess we have to wait and see.

If you check out the footage from the Dangerous Tour at Wembley Stadium, it was filmed professionally with multiple camera angles all around the stadium. I wonder if the Bad Tour at Wembley had as many cameras at the gig as this did:
It will look like other Bad Tour 1988 videos that can be found. Like this but better quality

you are all repeating the unconfirmed information that the concert was shot on film, which began because the Man In The Mirror scene from Moonwalker. I don't think more than that song was shot. That would be a huge and unecessary spent of money

If this concert has been shot on film it doesn't make any sense to release vhs quality dvd.

Estate don't have the film. They have only 1 VHS tape.

you are all repeating the unconfirmed information that the concert was shot on film, which began because the Man In The Mirror scene from Moonwalker. I don't think more than that song was shot. That would be a huge and unecessary spent of money

No Im not basing that on Moonwalker at all.
I just know it that this particular night was indeed shot on film.

know from who? with what prove?

So, the thought of releasing the concert commercially one day in the future had never crossed Michael's mind? Or, CBS's mind? Or, Michael's management's mind?

Bad Tour was not an one-off concert. It's a concert series that spread two years. At that time, the highest grossing concert series. So, shooting may be just a few concerts on film was considered "huge and unecessary spent of money"? And, shooting the concert on film wasn't even such an novel concept even in 1987. Again, Queen's concert took place in 1981. So, they were so desperate to save money and decided to only shoot MITM on film and the vast majority of the concert in a more cost-effective way? Possible. But, it really would be such a waste.

Live footage they used in Another Part of Me music video was shot on film

Maybe he has the footage that was shot on film :D

So, the thought of releasing the concert commercially one day in the future had never crossed Michael's mind? Or, CBS's mind? Or, Michael's management's mind?

I bet it must have crossed mj's management's mind but it's a fact that mj had 20 odd years to release a bad concert vhs/dvd and he never did and he wd know all the fans wanted it. For the 25 thriller, he could have included a victory tour dvd - you know all the bros wouldn't have objected if they got performance payment - but none came out. I've no idea why - maybe mj being a perfectionist wanted every performance to be broadcast to be perfect - or maybe business wise it's alot of trouble with little financial return once all royalties are paid? idk. He did appear to film everything in his life, but maybe it was just for his own benefit and for his children rather than with a view to broadcast and so needing to be top notch quality.

I bet it must have crossed mj's management's mind but it's a fact that mj had 20 odd years to release a bad concert vhs/dvd and he never did and he wd know all the fans wanted it. For the 25 thriller, he could have included a victory tour dvd - you know all the bros wouldn't have objected if they got performance payment - but none came out. I've no idea why - maybe mj being a perfectionist wanted every performance to be broadcast to be perfect - or maybe business wise it's alot of trouble with little financial return once all royalties are paid? idk. He did appear to film everything in his life, but maybe it was just for his own benefit and for his children rather than with a view to broadcast and so needing to be top notch quality.
I dunno, IMO I don't think that would have been suitable because it was for Thriller anniversary and not for Victory...

I also realize that Michael had disinclination to release his concert performance. It was his perfectionistic nature. He never satisfied with his live performances, no matter how good they were. However, that doesn't mean CBS at the time or Michael's management never thought of releasing the concert commercially. Would Michael object to have his concerts recorded on film from different angles for any potential use? I highly doubt. Michael filmed EVERYTHING. He had the final say. He's the one who decide whether to release the recording.

I understand not everything would be recorded in the highest quality. But, it really puzzles the hell out of me that one of the highest grossing concert series in history is not availabe on film. In 1988, Michael could definitely afford the cost of films.

I understand not everything would be recorded in the highest quality. But, it really puzzles the hell out of me that one of the highest grossing concert series in history is not availabe on film. In 1988, Michael could definitely afford the cost of films.

It probably is on film....Would Michael settle for anything less? I doubt it...It was a HUGE, HUGE tour...

The question is WHO has it?

Deep down I just don't believe that the VHS copy is the ONLY copy out there...ever, ever...lol...

It probably is on film....Would Michael settle for anything less? I doubt it...It was a HUGE, HUGE tour...

The question is WHO has it?

Deep down I just don't believe that the VHS copy is the ONLY copy out there...ever, ever...lol...

It is not the ONLY copy out there. It is the only copy that Estate have in their possession.

Maybe when the original film surfaces they can release the bad tour on blu.

But I think the estate wants so see whether its worthwhile or not. That depends on the sales of this 'VHS' version. Still, I am very thankful and excited. The audio will be crystal clear, VHS or not, they are using the multitracks.

Ofcourse the Bad Tour was shot on film! Whatever was shown on the JumboTrons at each concert would have been saved to film. However, there is a difference between the extent of filming that goes on at every gig (where the action is shown on a big screen in the stadium/arena) and the extent of filming that goes on when a concert is intended to be released commercially. For a gig, where the intended use of filming is limited to showing close ups on the screens so that the crowd can see what's going on, only 3 or 4 cameras on or around the stage are used. When an artist intends to release the gig as a DVD/VHS it will almost always be professionally filmed with MULTIPLE camera angles all around the stadium. From what it sounds like in the Bad 25 press release, the 16th July concert was probably not intended for commercial release at the time, so the film is limited to what was shown on the JumboTrons that day - rather than the multiple camera angles you find for gigs such as Bucharest '92 or Munich '97.

The question then is - who has access to the negatives of all of those concerts during the Bad Tour? If the Estate only have access to an old VHS tape, then it suggests that they don't have the rights to the original film, they don't know where the original film is and who has possession of it, or they've been damaged/destroyed. Or maybe they have access to the original film for SOME of the Bad Tour concerts, but not all of them (including the 16th July Wembley gig).

It is not the ONLY copy out there. It is the only copy that Estate have in their possession.

I know that...That's why I said, "WHO has it?" :D

I have preorderd!! A lot!

Is it possible that Gaz, Ivy or mkgenie get in contact with the Estate or Sony about this quality issue? I think we would all want to know where are the original films and is the quality shown in the trailer final or directly from VHS bofore restoration.

Is it possible that Gaz, Ivy or mkgenie get in contact with the Estate or Sony about this quality issue? I think we would all want to know where are the original films and is the quality shown in the trailer final or directly from VHS bofore restoration.

already did and said

Guys a little news so you can all relax

This morning I mentioned the MJ Online Team fans concerns about the DVD picture quality. Estate is aware of our concerns and apparently considering to address it over time. So can we chill for the meantime and wait for more information please?

I wonder if there will ever be released more concerts from BAD tour in the future.

If they have a concert in better quality maybe they will release it in future. - A 1989 concert would be great!

BUT for now - I am SOOOO exited about this release! Wembley 1988 is a dream come true!

Maybe MJ had this VHS because Princess Diana was in the audience. - Maybe it was special to him.

already did and said

Ok, so 'address it over time'...I'm just curious how they're going to address it...Because if this VHS copy is all they have, wouldn't they just say that as a definite when you asked them? Maybe they DO have access to something else, or POSSIBLY could have access to something else?

Back