BAD25 - designated Discussion Thread

Re: BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For [General Discussion]

I was just about to start a thread about UK promotion when I saw your post, so I might as well just say it here.

I haven't seen any promotion at all for BAD25 in the UK. No radio ads, no TV ads, no billboards.
We didn't get the Pepsi promotion and Spike Lee's documentary hasn't been scheduled on UK TV (though there is a rumour it might be on BBC by Xmas).
Until I saw your post seemed to me as though this product is not being promoted at all, so it's interesting to see that you think the promo has been kicked into gear.
Just out of interest which radio station advertised it? Which TV channels showed the ads and during which shows?
Has anybody else in the UK seen or heard any promotion?

Think four music or vevo or something played one, and i think the other was on itv3 or something. It was on my local radio real radio in yorkshire, which is quite big for regional radio, they wouldn't shut up about it and played endless songs from Bad, stuff like speed demon and liberian girl aswell. Perhaps i've just been very lucky though, and bumped into stuff when it's there. I haven't seen any billboards for example, or any mention on national radio or bigger TV channels, like ITV1 or channel 4 etc. But i guess the fact i've seen a few things might be a good sign they might be looking to properly kick start it soon

My local radio station had a special show about the album playing tracks off it on sunday

Somebody on twitter said that BAD 25 was advertised in telly during X factor.

On a local radio station I heard the DJ mention it while I was in a shop.

I am sooooo getting that suit case! :)

And here it is :D

486955_247560162040123_1269019224_n.jpg

992_247560195373453_1143097058_n.jpg

149105_247560212040118_1397423435_n.jpg

480967_247560245373448_1876637984_n.jpg

543131_247560282040111_354968056_n.jpg

302801_247560318706774_1103744419_n.jpg

Re: BAD25 - Discussion Thread

What is the official sales of BAD25??

And is BAD25 sales added in the original BAD album sales??

Wikipedia says that Bad 25 sold more than 1 million albums in more than 25 countries within its first week of release but i want to know how many copies bad25 has sold now. can we ask the estate???

Last edited:

Wikipedia says that Bad 25 sold more than 1 million albums in more than 25 countries within its first week of release but i want to know how many copies bad25 has sold now. can we ask the esate???

Me too! - I would like to know the overall World Wide sales of BAD25 !

Wikipedia says that Bad 25 sold more than 1 million albums in more than 25 countries within its first week of release but i want to know how many copies bad25 has sold now. can we ask the esate???

Bad25 deluxe sold less than 150,000 copies worldwide during the first six months of release - truly shocking!

The DVD and two cd package sold somewhat better, but all in all, BAD25 was/is an unmitigated disaster smdh.

it would be fair to assume that, 'for some', Michael's musical and artistic legacy are pretty small potatoes compared to the running of a billion dollar business empire.

10/10 for business management
1/10 for artistic integrity, truth and transparency.

Last edited:

Bad25 deluxe sold less than 150,000 copies worldwide during the first six months of release - truly shocking!

The DVD and two cd package sold somewhat better, but all in all, BAD25 was/is an unmitigated disaster smdh.

it would be fair to assume that, 'for some', Michael's musical and artistic legacy are pretty small potatoes compared to the running of a billion dollar business empire.

What happened? You were very supportive of this project in the beginning weren't you? Also, is it true that they were only able to do the dvd because you took the audio to them as opposed to the estate approaching you? Did they ever give any reason for so little promotion?

What happened? You were very supportive of this project in the beginning weren't you? Also, is it true that they were only able to do the dvd because you took the audio to them as opposed to the estate approaching you? Did they ever give any reason for so little promotion?

Yes, I was very supportive of the project indeed.

Yes, they were only able to do this because I had taken the audio to them - the estate, 2 years after Mike's passing, were not able to find any source materials. The estate had no idea where the original source materials were, however they were extremely concerned that the fact that they did not know where the source materials were did not leak out.

I spent hundreds of hours tracking down Patrick T. Kelly and speaking to all the people who worked on the Bad tour, asking them to look through their personal archives, persuading other studio archives to boot up their old cataloguing computers which had long since been retired(!) etc, in an effort to find the original materials because the estate were desperate to find the materials and were adamant that they were not in their archive.

Eeventually, after I described the boxes and packaging of the wembley tapes for the umpteenth time, (they were quite distinctive and would have stood out immediately from all the other multitracks (14" reels of 1" digital tape in plastic shipping containers as compared to the normal 12" reels of 2" analogue audio multitrack), it transpired that all the bad tour materials were always in the MJ archives all along.

But I was truly horrified to hear the results of the 'remix' the CD audio was awful - Michael's voice had been processed in such a way to sound hard and brittle compared to the original. The band audio had been so over-processed (heavily gated and compressed) that it was all I could do not to cry. I listened to the cd once and put it away.

the DVD was even worse if such a thing were possible - utterly soul destroying to see how carelessly it been treated like some cheap commodity.

The final straw for me was going to the Spike Lee premiere in London. I was shocked at the re-cut film of Another Part Of Me - they hadn't bothered to get the audio in tight sync with video. And then it was all I could do not to walk out when MITM played at the end - awful sync and a surround track so absurdly loud (soaked in additional and unnecessary reverb in what seems to be an attempt to blur and disguise the overall mix).

I spoke to Karen Langford at that premiere and said 'I wished that I might have had the chance to help with the mixing' - she said 'we are quite happy with what we've.done' which translates into 'John Branca approved it and that's the end of the conversation'.

i wouldn't dream of advising John Branca how to manage a lawsuit - I'm not a lawyer. What on earth (other than the peter principle) makes John Branca suddenly think he is a record producer??? Two crucial and (artistically and commercially) awful releases speak for themselves.

finally there was this UTTERLY IDIOTIC post on another forum by Al Quaglieri together with my reply:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/michael-jackson-bad-25th-anniversary-edition.285161/page-12

Yes, color me very disappointed.

BAD25: The Announcement. One Year On.

Today marks one year after The Deluxe Package "BAD25" was announced by Sony Music Entertainment & The Estate Of Michael Jackson. what is your most memorable memory of that day?

:imbad

Re: BAD25: The Announcement. One Year On.

yeah i'm remember me,maybe annouce blu ray tomorow,:D

I hope we get a new announcement soon. It should be Bad Tour Blu-Ray(Liverpool and Minneapolis concerts) :)

Hell yeah very memorable for me. Best moment.

A year since we heard the first announcement of BAD25? Wow, time sure does fly! I remember me being so happy about it and waiting patiently and impatiently to get my hands on it.

I hope we get a new announcement soon. It should be Bad Tour Blu-Ray(Liverpool and Minneapolis concerts) :)

Minneapolis Blu-Ray & Cinema release, Restored 5k Scans of the original 35mm film negatives, 4x better than 1080p HD (Full HD is only a quatre of the detail that 35mm Withholds) :) audio can be restored by Reliance Media Works too :)

What could have helped the Wembley DVD...

WARNING: THIS POST WARRANTS THIS GIF:
tumblr_mcjirkdivk1qdl5f4o1_250.gif

---------

Nevermind the fact that they chose to use a VHS tape of a lost master copy of a show.

Nevermind the fact that they claim they only had the Wembley 16th multi track audio (meanwhile, there's Yokohama...July 15th...whatever audio was used for Moonwalkers Man In The Mirror and the music video/Bad 25 version of Another Part Of Me...they have other shows in multi track forms...)

Nevermind that there may or may not be a shows-worth of material shot on film.

This is about the VHS tape they used (which, by the way, is was just a marketing ploy to say that it was found in his dresser or something and it was extra special to him. Michael had lots of his concerts dubbed to VHS so he could preview them. Probably in his hotel room (it's not like he had a u-matic tape player in his room!). So I doubt the Wembley show was any more special than Anytown, Earth. The fact that Diana was there and it was in a legendary venue was probably the only reason they released that show.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, here's what could have made the dvd better...

1-More crowd shots
I'm not talking Bucharest type stuff. That was WAY too much. I liked that they used film-based footage the 2 times early in the show. But I'm sure they had more footage from later in the night that looked decent enough to put on. As the show goes on, the crowd seems like an after-thought. If nothing else, some shots between songs.
But if there was not much good material from when it was darker at night, a handful of more crowd shots during when the sun was out would have been nice.
Shots like these from the crowd or a higher area of the venue would have been great too.
124koib.png

3097lsh.png

2-Using other shows to enhance poor choices of shots
They used another show to replace certain parts in Billie Jean (and possibly Beat It, but that's debatable) because of (most likely) bad frames from the VHS tape. That's all fine and lovely, but why not go a step further and enhance some parts that would have benefited from a different angle or shot?
Two parts that stick out are the WDAN and BI transition. In Yokohama, the illusion is displayed wonderfully because of more camera coverage. It would have been nice if they found another shot from another source (even if it was another show. No one would have noticed. Same stage, outfits, etc.) to show the illusion better. In Wembley, we just see the curtain-tube and then him on the crane. We barely see the dancers/band distracting the audience with the dance like in Yokohama...

ALSO, I wish they looked for another better shot for the end of Smooth Criminal. You barely get to see that crew members pick up the "dead" dancers off the stage. I'm sure there was another show where maybe a better shot of them picking them up exists. The gag falls flat when it's barely shown.

3-MJ's videographers/alternate camera people
This is the biggest one of all.
Ok, so MJ had his own personal videographers who shot stuff on tape and film. This is shown in things like the Home Movies special and also other assorted Bad Tour specials.
In addition to the main 4-camera crew for the jumobo-trons, he also had people filming crowd shots as well as stuff behind the scenes and at the sides of the stage.

Remember in the Home Movies special, the shot of him leaving the stage in London by a cameraman on the left? Obviously, one of his videographers.

And remember the Rome TV footage? I'm sure this was shot by one of his people and handed off to the TV station. There was probably hours of footage like this from behind the stage from various shows. Can you imagine how enhanced Wembley would have been with footage from the back of the stage?? If for no other reason, than to see the crowd more (and of course, another angle for the dancing!)

2saav04.png

11rsxua.png

10ynn95.png

Obviously, this footage might not be as organized as a u-matic of the show, but these things exists (and it's silly and naive to think the hours and hours of b-roll for the tour are gone. They just didn't think to use this extra stuff for the dvd...)

In conclusion, there are hours and hours and miles and miles of tape and film based footage from (if nothing else) the Bad era in storage. They could have enhanced the DVD more than the limited views of the jumbo-tron based tape (the 2 crowd shots in the beginning were good, but there could have been more as stated above).

And before anyone says BE GREATFUL THEY RELEASED THIS or whatever nonsense, I did actually buy the dvd and Target edition of the 2-cd/bonus dvd, so I've supported this project already. Doesn't mean I have to love it. Making the best out of a mediocre situation.

This post is totally me just venting... :D

Re: What could have helped the Wembley DVD...

I don't think it's nonsense to say you should be grateful, each of us have our own opinion just like you do, reason why you decided to post this thread. All of us have a different way of looking at it and every view on it is valid and not nonsensical. I'd say your options are great but what's done it's done and we all have a copy of it sitting at our home (or at least most of us) and that's that. But it's a good option to what the Estate could do for future projects, especially related to the Bad era (which I love and I'm sure that as you say, miles and miles of footage exists) I think it's very selfish and inconsiderate to not try and put out the best material they could out there, even if takes extra effort to locate, etc, given the fact they'd still make money out of it. Let's face it, that's obviously the one of the main motives to put out anything, so yeah I'D GLADLY wait for better projects that were devoted time and effort even if it costs twice the money.

Yeah, it's not even like I think they were lazy about it (well...)
But I mean, look at the screen shots above. The Wembley DVD could have greatly benefited from them browsing a tape shot from the back of the stage. A 5th camera would have filled a lot of gaps (even if it was from another stadium date. No one would have known the difference, as long as it said LONDON on the banner or the banner wasn't visible at all).

I agree with you. This DVD could have been better. Firstly they should have given the VHS transfer to Mjmax to enhance (he would do a better job than they), also they should have just left Dave Powell's audio mix. Or let him participate in re-mixing at least.

I agree about the crowd shots. I don't want to see fainting chicks.

This is the stuff I want to see -

vlcsnap2013011322h47m17.png

vlcsnap2013011322h42m31.png

vlcsnap2012042714h52m23.png

Shots from cameramen and cranes are awesome, especially the ones from back that you see the whole stadium. They look wonderful IMO. I can also give an example of Queen DVD from Wembley '86 and Bon Jovi '95.

8jf1.png

6ew.png

3ri.png

2ea.png

e89.png

emzi.png

dj7b.png

If they ever find the U-Matic tape they should include it when they make new copies of the Wembley DVD. I would buy it again if I can get better quality. :) The best thing that they can do is to release other Bad Tour concert that is HQ.

I was happy that there wasn't any crowd shots because I want to see Michael perform. In Bucharest DVD there was just too much so it got annoying. I don't have problem with crowd shots if we don't see them all the time. When they hopefully will release a Bad Tour concert from the film reels I hope they will them but not like in Bucharest.

Last edited:
Back