BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For [General Discussion]

Re: Michael Jackson BAD25 - The Announcement We Have All Been Waiting For

If we want the final quality to be great, then we need to let them hear our voice.

Instead of waiting and being complacent with the news that DVD of Bad Tour will be released soon, we can let the Estate and Sony know we care about quality too.

Before Visions was released, I thought Sony would really spend the effort to remaster the videos and upgrade them to 2010 standard. Well... we all know the quality of Visions. We certainly don't want it to happen again.

We all want Sony to nail this project and do the best that they can on Bad Tour.

I believe Ivy already contacted the MJ online team about this issue, so they are aware of this and will take care of it I'm sure. I am very impressed at the fact that they have truly listened to our concerns and have delivered a great package, so I have faith that this DVD will be of the best quality they can muster.

Exactly! Think about it. Is it hard to believe that the only source of Bad Tour available to be widely released is a VHS tape? If the Estate doesn't have the master film, then who? How could the Estate be even less resouceful than collector fans?

I was just thinking to myself - ok, when I first watch this (say it's in so-so quality), I'll be over the moon happy, just because it's the first time seeing it...Then, after the excitement dies down a bit, and I'll be watching it a few months down the line or something, I'd be like, damn, I wish this was in better quality! :rofl: So, you know, I'm just thinking about the future ;)

If we want the final quality to be great, then we need to let them hear our voice.

Instead of waiting and being complacent with the news that DVD of Bad Tour will be released soon, we can let the Estate and Sony know we care about quality too.

They know it.

I know. But I hope they do not make black bars. So if people wants to stretch the picture to fill the entire screen they can - and if people wanna see it the way it is supposed to be they can just choose 4:3. - If the make the black bars a part of the picture that's not possible.

If BAD tour was filmed on film - and those films are found they would be 16:9 right?

That's right!

I was just thinking to myself - ok, when I first watch this (say it's in so-so quality), I'll be over the moon happy, just because it's the first time seeing it...Then, after the excitement dies down a bit, and I'll be watching it a few months down the line or something, I'd be like, damn, I wish this was in better quality! :rofl: So, you know, I'm just thinking about the future ;)

:rofl: :lmao:

I know. But I hope they do not make black bars. So if people wants to stretch the picture to fill the entire screen they can - and if people wanna see it the way it is supposed to be they can just choose 4:3. - If the make the black bars a part of the picture that's not possible.

If BAD tour was filmed on film - and those films are found they would be 16:9 right?

If the master films are used you could watch it on 16:9 without the bars and with blu-ray quality (on condition that the data is transmitted to the blu-ray disk).

With current release, if you chose 4:3 on a large screen the bars will appear.

If they use 4:3 and spread it on 16:9 without bars the picture would look stretched and disproportionate. There is no way out of this.

Did anyone contacted Nocturne Productions? That's the camera crew that supposedly filmed the all of MJ's tours.

If the master films are used you could watch it on 16:9 without the bars and with blu-ray quality (on condition that the data is transmitted to the blu-ray disk).

With current release, if you chose 4:3 on a large screen the bars will appear.

If they use 4:3 and spread it on 16:9 without bars the picture would look stretched and disproportionate. There is no way out of this.

I hope some master films appear one day so they can release a concert on Blu-Ray in 16:9!

So for best possible quality SONY have to make the black bars a part of the picture?

Same here. :lmao:

We all love to see Michael's performance. Some may say "I don't care about video quality. As long as it's Michael." But, deep inside our hearts, we all know video quality is important, unless we all watch the DVD on a 10" screen.

I bought a new widescreen TV early last year. Before that, I had a 27" 4:3 ratio TV. When I watched Dangerous Bucharest and many other DVD's I downloaded from the net on my old TV, they were great. But, on my new TV, the images are grainny. Dagnerous Bucharest is stretched and the audio is just not playable by my speakers. It's so loud. I can't stress enough that I'm not a picky viewer. The differences are just so obvious that I can't brainwash myself to ignore them. The whole viewing experience diminished ever since I upgraded my TV. No kidding, sometimes I wish I still have my old TV, so that my MJ collections can be played properly.

We do live in the age of HD TV. When I go to Best Buy, the only TV I can buy is widescreen HD LED TV. So, it's crucial that the products that they are releasing now can catch up with technology. I'm not even dreaming about pioneering the trend here.

Ok, So I haven't been here in awhile but I just heard about Bad 25 and I'm super hyped! This is the most exciting announcement of any MJ related project I've heard about in awhile just for the fact that they're doing a Bad Tour DVD. I've just pre-ordered the deluxe edition and Vinyl on Amazon.

My biggest wonder though is actually in regards to the album itself, Will it be a remaster of the original album mixes as they originally appeared on Vinyl and first pressing CD or the revised mixes that have been on pretty much every subsequent release? Please forgive me if this has already been adressed elsewhere.

I would absolutely love if they did a brand new remaster of the original 1987 mixes. I own every major edition of Bad to date and whenever I listen to it, the Vinyl or 1st press CD are always my format of choice.

I hope some master films appear one day so they can release a concert on Blu-Ray in 16:9!

So for best possible quality SONY have to make the black bars a part of the picture?

I hope they use blurring effect instead of black bars, if you know what I mean.

Well the black bars appear because the picture reaches either its maximum height or it's maximum length. That way the picture respects the proportions of the content. If you try to spread that picture in order to fit your large screen then you break the rules of the proportions and all the content is disproportioned. On top of that, if the quality is a VHS quality, it automatically means not many pixels (around 250). Spreading them on a large screen gives the same result as if you spread a napkin over its normal size and you start to see holes.

DVD is better because it can store more pixels (around 750), but still not enough for the large screens. If you copy the data from VHS to DVD, you won't have the DVD quality. YOu will have DVD technology (which means longer life, less damagable) but still VHS quality (around 250 pixels).

If you possess a large screen which is usually a full HD screen, you need a blu ray (containing 1080 pixels) in order to see it 16:9 all over your screen without the bars and without deteriorated quality as the blu ray fits all the conditions and is not stretched at all.

I am looking forward to hearing the demos and unreleased songs too. Songs that could have been on the final album back in 87. Untouched and everything.

The person who uploaded this made a mix of footage from Japan shows from 1st leg back stage (from that Japan documentary), as well as some light-board intro form the 2nd leg, and Yokohama footage, but it's a neat way of how I envisioned a real Bad Tour presentation being.

Showing a bit of before-the-show stuff, then onto the show.

(obviously some stuff is out of context)

I am eager to hear the re-release of BAD album
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Speed Demon
Liberian Girl
Just Good Friends
Another Part Of Me
Man In The Mirror
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal
Leave Me Alone

:D

The person who uploaded this made a mix of footage from Japan shows from 1st leg back stage (from that Japan documentary), as well as some light-board intro form the 2nd leg, and Yokohama footage, but it's a neat way of how I envisioned a real Bad Tour presentation being.

Showing a bit of before-the-show stuff, then onto the show.

(obviously some stuff is out of context)

I am impressed by the Japanese public. They all had benches to sit on. No pushing, no squeezing. When I went in concert I could barely breathe. People were pushing and there was certainly no bench to sit. :D

Ya rly. It would have probably been more enjoyable if there were benches. But put not as many people could fit maybe...
One hot mess those European shows were :D

i hope the estate isn't following that thread.
reading about people how will be satisfied with anything no matter how bad it looks. as long they can recognize michael, its enough.

or others who find that mtv10th "remaster" great.

we are custumers. we have the right to want and critisze such releases. even through no one did this.
if people didn't make voice, universal wouldnt hava release remastered version of gladiator few months later after the first blu+ray release. it was dnr sharpened to hell. after people started to critisize from day one, they understood they cant get away with this and released proper blu-ray the way it should have look.
there many other such examples where releaes are worsened cause some still watch b&w tv, are used to watch picture that is blured and grainless cause thats how dvd looked like, don't like black barrs on the sides of 4:3 and prefer to watch is streched on their wstv or sqeezed 16:9 videos.

sorry, if they read those complanings, again we will get half-assed dvd, "the fans will be happy with anything they get".

Do you think they used film in 2009 for rehearsals? I guess they used HD cameras which is common this decade.

They used the red..

i hope the estate isn't following that thread.
reading about people how will be satisfied with anything no matter how bad it looks. as long they can recognize michael, its enough.

or others who find that mtv10th "remaster" great.

we are custumers. we have the right to want and critisze such releases. even through no one did this.
if people didn't make voice, universal wouldnt hava release remastered version of gladiator few months later after the first blu+ray release. it was dnr sharpened to hell. after people started to critisize from day one, they understood they cant get away with this and released proper blu-ray the way it should have look.
there many other such examples where releaes are worsened cause some still watch b&w tv, are used to watch picture that is blured and grainless cause thats how dvd looked like, don't like black barrs on the sides of 4:3 and prefer to watch is streched on their wstv or sqeezed 16:9 videos.

sorry, if they read those complanings, again we will get half-assed dvd, "the fans will be happy with anything they get".

Well, hopefully we can get some answers now that Ivy has contacted MJOnline :)

They used the red..

They used regular pro-sumer HD cams to film rehearsals..
Red cams were for the visuals on the huge LED screen.

LOL, are you an 80s kid too? :D

I remember before having enough money to buy the album BAD I was listening to teh radio the whole damn day to record Dirty Diana on tape (BASF, TDK, or whatever it was lol). And I so wante dthe whoel song, but I always missed eitehr the beginning or they cut the end, so I never managed to record it entirely. But when I had the money I bought seven copies of BAD cassettes including an LP (becaus ethe picture was bigger). I wonder how many of us are left from the 80s and that are still MJ's fans since then.

I became a huge MJ fan in 1987 and I remember those days when I recorded everything of Michael's on VHS tape- of course the quality was not good, but I didn't care, I just wanted to have everything Michael to keep and enjoy forever. And now we argue about Blu ray quality. I am grateful that it will come out on DVD and I will be able to watch Michael do his magic!!

Jackson_popcorn.gif

I am actualy looking very much forward to BAD 25 disc 2 with all the new stuff.

I REALLY hope they give us A LOT of songs and demoes. - If there is 80 minutes on a CD, then I hope for 80 minutes!

Just pre-ordered IJCSLY / Don't Be Messin' 'Round for £2.49 at wowhd.

Got quite a shock when the order suddenly changed from "Not yet released" to ""Pending Despatch", before I realised that it's obviously a mistake :p

Would've been sweet, though :D

I know i'd want to film rehearsal footage with a Red camera for archival purposes. Several cameras, too... :smilerolleyes:

Back