Behind the Mask - Official Discussion Thread

Re: The "Behind the Mask" Thread [Merged]

Is there anyone (smooth,...?) who knows if behind the mask has a chance to be a single? Because so many like it, but i don't think it will.

i really really hope, Hollywood tonight, monster and behind the mask make it as a single

I can't get enough of this song! :wild:

I love the album, but I must admit I listen to "Behind The Mask" and "Best Of Joy" on repeat. OMG, they are both so good and you can tell MJ had more of his touch on the tracks. Breathtaking!

Behind the Mask would have been an awesome lead single and title for an Album of "Thriller" era outtakes.

Let's give this song some more love...

Anyone notice the kick ass way he sings 'MASK!!!'.....'so take off the MASK!!'....I can just picture the look of aggression on his face as he sings it...I love the way he sings this entire song....so much energy..

Arklove, we are united by our love for BTM! We should get married or something...
Lots of love, H4M

this was recorded in 1981?

I think so. It was originally recorded for the thriller sessions, and i'm guessing this is the vocal used on the album.

Re: Behind the mask. What a fuking grate song!!!!

I really think this was finalized by MJ himself. - Otherwise only very little changes have been made.

I wouldnt say it was very little they have added in. What about all crowd noise and the call and response from the Bucharest show that they added in?

I adore this song though, its a massive fight between Hollywood Tonight and Behind The Mask for my favourite song on the album.

I absolutely LOVE this track!! I like the original anyway but MJ's version sinks the original!!

Re: The "Behind the Mask" Thread

I'm going to be really honest here. I don't like the song. It sounds a bit dated and I don't think its well put together, I think its a bit repetitive. But it might grow on me so will listen to it a few times more.

:yes: I think it will! I felt that way at first that it didn't fit on the album because it sounds like it's from Thriller, but now I really love it!! I know some people don't like the music, but I do! I can't explain the part I like with the music, but Michael is flawless on it. Just keep listening to the whole album on repeat, and you'll probably end up liking it all like I do. :D

I heard this song on the radio yesterday and I really liked it :)
Stood out on the radio really, I think it would do well.

I think even BTM is recorded in the 80'-90's, it could easily hold with todays music. It's great fun super good party song.

HT is ok, Monster boring.
Another day is great, but it could only be hit with a great video. But not some lame compilation cuts video. And since Michael is not here, no video could fit to that song.

We need to make sony/estate aware that BTM is the most liked song from the album by many of us and single release is great choice :)
Maybe we can make a poll of what songs we would like to see as single most?

Behind the Mask as single release!

I think even BTM is recorded in the 80'-90's, it could easily hold with todays music. It's great fun super good party song.

HT is ok, Monster boring.
Another day is great, but it could only be hit with a great video. But not some lame compilation cuts video. And since Michael is not here, no video could fit to that song.

We need to make sony/estate aware that BTM is the most liked song from the album by many of us and single release is great choice :)
Maybe we can make a poll of what songs we would like to see as single most?

Co-sign! Call me crazy but I actually think Behind the Mask sounds very modern. Which has something to do with the renewed popularity of the eighties sound I suppose (I love me some La Roux for example). I think it could definitely be a huge hit.

It's the only song from 'Michael' I have on repeat.... absolutly amazing! RELEASE AS A SINGLE! it will show todays mainstream artists what standard they have to measure up to!

Now I have listened to the album 3 times and I like Behind The Mask more and more. It begins to climp up my hitlist of the album. It has already surpassed TWYLM and Another Day.
Currently it's on the 3rd place of my hitlist. First place is Best Of Joy and second place is Hollywood Tonight.

But I still think that the song is a little overproduced. They should have left out the "Hee-Hee"s in the refrain or at least should have turned down the volume of it. If the "Hee-Hee"s weren't in the refrain or they weren't so loud the refrain would be much better!

This is officially my favorite track on the album!! :wild: :wild:

With Much too soon. :heart:

Behind the Mask will be released as single definitively, it is a great song and has huge potential to top the charts in many countries, but I think that both Hollywood Tonight & Another Day will be released before Behind the Mask. I would like it to be released as the fourth single from the album, before Monster.

OMG THIS SONG IS SO WONDERFUL. :punk::punk::wild::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Because of the pasted live recording I always imagine Michael dancing on the stage when I listen to this song! He does a dance mix of Another Part Of Me, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and Billie Jean :D

Behind the Mask will be released as single definitively, it is a great song and has huge potential to top the charts in many countries, but I think that both Hollywood Tonight & Another Day will be released before Behind the Mask. I would like it to be released as the fourth single from the album, before Monster.

Don't expect it! Smooth said 2 weeks ago it was a toss between monster and another day, and if these singles do well, hollywood tonight would be released... but not more then that.
But now it's between hollywood tonight and monster... and i bet a 4 single would be another day! But i never heard they were planning behind the mask as a single

Don't expect it! Smooth said 2 weeks ago it was a toss between monster and another day, and if these singles do well, hollywood tonight would be released... but not more then that.
But now it's between hollywood tonight and monster... and i bet a 4 single would be another day! But i never heard they were planning behind the mask as a single

All depends on how well will singles perform on the charts. If all released singles do well on the charts they will release more than 3/4 singles. And Behind the Mask as single is possible.

"Behind the Mask",
well it takes the "MESSAGE"
TO THE POWERS THAT BE!!!!!!!

I'm in love with the first really soft Heehee after 'All along I knew you were a phoney girl'. LOVE IT! Michael is so passionate and on top of his everything in this song. I'm in love. To answer Michael: It's YOU I love (and my husband, mother, grandmother, friends, cats...) :heart:

I would love if this is the next single! :wild: :pray:

Back