Beyoncé Will Receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2014 MTV VMAs

GREAT!! No one deserves it more. This woman has ALWAYS said that Michael was her biggest influence and has never been afraid to express that. I am glad tht she is receiving this award.

Absolutely. I don't know how many times I watched that video. It's so simple, but there was a time I could watch it over and over.

At this point, she has a wide range of good videos. More so than JT (I'm referring to music videos, not music).

Still annoyed they haven't given one to my queen BJORK!

MTV sucks, but this is still nice.

tumblr_mhor1cDsE71qdl5f4o1_400.gif

I agree Beyonce yes she does deserve it. She has always said good thing about MJ nothing negative. Yes Single Ladies i love that song.

yup! get it be! she really stepped up her visuals with her last album! nobody deserves it more than her! can't wait to see her perform!

If you're fan of hers, I respect that but how are Beyoncé's videos vanguardists? There's nothing innovative in her videos whatsoever! So, I'll brake the chorus thinking Beyoncé doesn't deserve the award at all. I've been saying since The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award got reinstilled that Björk has been the greatest ignored and more deserving of it than the newest recipients. It seems it's more a contest of popularity than giving it to people who truly innovates.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4034756 said:
If you're fan of hers, I respect that but how are Beyoncé's videos vanguardists? There's nothing innovative in her videos whatsoever! So, I'll brake the chorus thinking Beyoncé doesn't deserve the award at all. I've been saying since The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award got reinstilled that Björk has been the greatest ignored and more deserving of it than the newest recipients. It seems it's more a contest of popularity than giving it to people who truly innovates.

:agree: I'm surprised Bjork's been overlooked, too! As for Queen Bey respecting Mike so much, how is it she was ok with Nicki Minaj using Mike's death (propofol and Murray reference) as a rap in the remix of her song, "Flawless" recently? :smilerolleyes:

She's gonna love that! Receiving the award bearing her inspiration and idols' name?
She's a talented woman and yes, she does deserve the MJV award.
You go girl! :D

Sheila really? I have yet to listen to the so talked about record. :\

SheilaMJFan4Ever;4034760 said:
:agree: I'm surprised Bjork's been overlooked, too! As for Queen Bey respecting Mike so much, how is it she was ok with Nicki Minaj using Mike's death (propofol and Murray reference) as a rap in the remix of her song, "Flawless" recently? :smilerolleyes:

Yo, like MJ doctor, they killing me
Propofol, I know they hope I fall

I mean, it's not that disrespectful or anything. It's a tiny reference to the truth, that MJ's doctor killed him with propofol. It might not be the happiest thing to rap about but she wasn't twisting anything or lying about Michael. If anything, Minaj was bringing more shame to Murray.

It's also likely that you and Beyoncé have different ideas of what's respectful and disrespectful. I'm not offended by it, nor do I find it that disrespectful.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4034756 said:

I agree with you, but I think it's been established that MTV VMAs really aren't about the video at all. Especially when they gave JT one for this. His videos are fine, but nothing worth this kind of award.

But I feel even the regular awards are more about popularity or the status of whatever artist is nominated.

Be that as it may, Bey has a better body of visually stunning videos compared to JT.

I guess you didn't understand the line in the song then. She wasn't talking smack about Mj....

Also, slightly off topic, but Nickis new song ANACONDA (that samples Baby Got Back) is sooo fun :D

HIStoric;4034764 said:
Yo, like MJ doctor, they killing me
Propofol, I know they hope I fall

I mean, it's not that disrespectful or anything. It's a tiny reference to the truth, that MJ's doctor killed him with propofol. It might not be the happiest thing to rap about but she wasn't twisting anything or lying about Michael. If anything, Minaj was bringing more shame to Murray.

It's also likely that you and Beyoncé have different ideas of what's respectful and disrespectful. I'm not offended by it, nor do I find it that disrespectful.

I didn't say she twisted the truth. Stop jumping to conclusions and READ what I wrote. Everyone on this planet has different views of what is disrespectful, that's a no-brainer. It is, however, tasteless and doesn't bring "shame" on Murray. A person that has no shame (or remorse) isn't capable of feeling it.

I guess you didn't understand the line in the song then. She wasn't talking smack about Mj....

Also, slightly off topic, but Nickis new song ANACONDA (that samples Baby Got Back) is sooo fun :D

:smilerolleyes: A rap doesn't have to be "smack" to be insulting or tasteless.

SheilaMJFan4Ever;4034768 said:
I didn't say she twisted the truth. Stop jumping to conclusions and READ what I wrote. Everyone on this planet has different views of what is disrespectful, that's a no-brainer. It is, however, tasteless and doesn't bring "shame" on Murray. A person that has no shame (or remorse) isn't capable of feeling it.

And I never said that you did say that, I was merely adding it on to my post.

I added it for two reasons. 1: Because most of the time MJ fans (in general, not you specifically) get upset about him being referenced in popular culture is because he's being made out to be something he's not.
2: It might actually be the reason why Beyoncé wasn't that upset by it (or so we assume). Hence, I felt it worthy enough to point out and include.

Last edited:
Then my "problem" is that I take too seriously what the MJVVA must stand for more than MTV knowing what Michael Jackson, the artist embodies:

Vanguard - any creative group active in the innovation and application of new concepts and techniques in a given field (especially in the arts.)

The fact Beyoncé is successful and popular doesn't mean she has a body of videos deserving such award. However Björk has what that award should mean and anyone who knows her work and people of renown who have directed her, like Michel Gondry or Spike Jonze, should see what I mean.

In the 90's it was more believable having this award renamed after Michael because people in the industry were worried to make stuff with more creativity, quality and meaning. Nowadays it's a joke tbh, MTV should take away Michael's name of it because it's embarrassing.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that Missy Elliott hasn't gotten this award, either.
WAAAT

Justin Timberlake has one before Missy Elliott??

In terms of music videos...wow.

I don’t think it is right to remove Michael’s name of it. IMO it will be disrespectful to MJ and to all artists who really deserved that award. Now we get what we get and it is nobody’s fault that music industry in such state. IMO they pick up those artists now who will bring the award more attention but not credibility.

AtlasAir;4034803 said:
It just occurred to me that Missy Elliott hasn't gotten this award, either.
WAAAT

Justin Timberlake has one before Missy Elliott??

In terms of music videos...wow.

I checked the winners and you're right, Missy has superior body of work than JT, Britney or Beyoncé, she deserves it without a doubt. But the Hip Hop director Hype Williams got it in 2003, he has directed many Missy's videos including I Can't Stand The Rain which is creative indeed. Sorry guys, Michael got me spoiled and it's disrespectful an award with his name doesn't stand what the artist is.

Beyoncé Will Receieve Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at MTV VMAs

MTV announced that Beyoncé will be awarded the prestigious s Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards.

Beyonce-and-Michael-Jackson-Radio-Music-Awards-3.jpg

Beyoncé greets Michael Jackson Radio City Music awards 2003

Beyoncé is a long time fan and admirer of Michael Jackson. She attributes her inspiration to sing and go into show business to him. She had the honor of performing for Michael at his MSG 30th Anniversary concert in 2001 and presenting him with a Radio Music City humanitarian award in 2003 and the World Music Diamond award in 2006.

The MTV Video Music Awards, will be broadcast live from The Forum in Inglewood, Calif, Sunday August 24th, 9/8C. It will include a performance from the singer, who is up for eight awards including Video of the Year for “Drunk In Love.”

radio-music-awards-michael-recieves-the-humanitarian-award(159)-m-1.jpg

Beyoncé Presents Michael Jackson Humanitarian award Radio City Music Awards 2003

Beyonce_AMA.jpg

Beyoncé and Michael Jackson embrace at World Music awards 2006

mj-beyonce.jpg

Beyoncé presents Michael Jackson with WMA Diamond Award 2006

I'm happy for Bey...but what about, as most of you have said...Missy? What about Aaliyah? Damn, what about Jodeci? Can't nobody f with Jodeci. Lawd..the innovators are getting skipped. MTV is passing them up like Christ passed up Cisero. :D But I'm still happy for Beyoncé. I remember she was one of my favorite artists as a little kid.

Bey will be grateful and understand the significance of that award and raise MJ to the sky and beyond. It won't be just social grace babble it will be from her heart .. She loved him. She deserves the award as much as any of them. IMO

I hope you guys don't give Beyonce hell if she happens to not name-drop MJ when she gets her award tonight!

I hope you guys don't give Beyonce hell if she happens to not name-drop MJ when she gets her award tonight!

If there should be any hell to catch it should be MTV if they don't announce the award as the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award!

Back