Blood on the Dance Floor - 15 Years Later (Interview with Teddy Riley)

The memories. I remember rocking to this in 9th grade, seeing the music video for the first time and thinking damn he looks hot. Blood on the Dance Floor will never grow old on me.

I remember when it came out and I recall people saying, "Wow, is that Michael Jackson???"

I think he caught a lot of people unsuspecting- it was unique enough to stand out from the mainstream radio stuff- but it was still mainstream compatible enough to dance to. And people sort of appreciated that they heard from Michael through a danceable song again. (that's not his fault, so please don't throw stones at me- but people seemed to like that MJ was in the news through music, actually- I remember thinking about that even back then)

I remember being in High School and we had a choir party. Yeah, exciting, I know. But we were a tight knit group (there truly is nothing more 'bonding' than sitting in a bus and traveling to get to some competition) and for some reason we had a ping-pong table around. So that's what we did.

7b55561605.jpg

So we ran around that table playing ping pong- while BOTD was cranking. Because we clearly were singers- we also totally mutilated the song by giving it our best a capella 8 voice harmonies...:blink::hysterical: I'm sure we sounded hilarious- or completely obnoxious. Nothing like 4 sopranos screeching "Susie got yo numba!!!"

One of my favorite memories is that evening of playing pingpong, running around a table while singing MJ. :wub:
I think he would have enjoyed that visual. :D

When the short film came out, the music video channel Muchmusic wouldn't play it because, in their words, "it wasn't very good" :no: This was before video online, so I had to wait until HIStory on Film, Volume II came out to see it, and even then, it was the remix version (not sure why they did that)

It's a great song and great video that was woefully underrated because few people even got a chance to hear it or see it.

When the short film came out, the music video channel Muchmusic wouldn't play it because, in their words, "it wasn't very good" :no: This was before video online, so I had to wait until HIStory on Film, Volume II came out to see it, and even then, it was the remix version (not sure why they did that)

It's a great song and great video that was woefully underrated because few people even got a chance to hear it or see it.

Are you from Canada too if you don't mind me asking? I have muchmusic and muchmore music too and back then I don't remember them playing it or hearing it on the radio. I saw it a long time later too.

It wasn't very good???? Seriously? and the crap MuchMusic played was better? Whatever...that video is amazing...!

This thread makes me think of these below, but since this is not the manhood thread I better not say more.

It wasn't very good???? Seriously? and the crap MuchMusic played was better? Whatever...that video is amazing...!

Don't even get me STARTED on MuchMusic. If I have to watch one more emo band scream about some depressing bs I will break my television. Luckily for my TV, I rarely watch music television anymore.

I have no memories of BOTDF from the 90s. Black or White, yes. Scream, yes. Anything else, not really. I was young but other than those two, I have no 90s memories of Michael short films.

Love the article.
When it comes to his music, the more detailed something is written, the better it seems most of the times.
I mean, you don't even consider writing all that down, let alone, actually getting it done when you're just a casual fan.

Riley used a vintage drum machine (the MPC 3000) for the beat. The snare was compressed to make it pop ("I want it dry and in your face," Jackson used to say). It was a sound they used throughout the Dangerous album. "Listen to 'Remember the Time,'" Riley says. "It's very similar."
My favorite part of the entire article.

Im kinda glad it didn't end up on Dangerous.
Care to elaborate?
Me, I think it would be cool if it had made it to the final list.
It would mesh well with other "dry and in your face" songs on the album, but with a retro feel.

Love, love, L.O.V.E. this song/video!!! Michael is beyond amazing!!! :wub:

Last edited:
true story is that TR was upset when the track was released in 97 because he wanted to give it a more mid 90's feel (like his work for BLACKstreet then). I remember discussing this with him and CH.

Anyway BOTDF is a classic.

I was just in Mexico, and some guy was blasting this in his car :D

true story is that TR was upset when the track was released in 97 because he wanted to give it a more mid 90's feel (like his work for BLACKstreet then). I remember discussing this with him and CH.

Anyway BOTDF is a classic.

Hmm..that's interesting. Can you share more of your insight from speaking with him :)?

Amazing song.

So powerful and great.

Hmm..that's interesting. Can you share more of your insight from speaking with him :)?

back then TR was promoting Another level, BLACKstreet's second album. It was huge. Artistically speaking, I think their first set is more interesting, but Another Level was full of hits and very radio friendly. This is when TR got the most exposed in Europe, especially France (quite no one heard of him during his GUY days there).
So back then his goal was to promote all his new style he had worked hard on with BLACKstreet: tracks like No Diggity, Fix etc.. that were dramatic evolution from the NJS edged he had released so far. he was opening his music to new sounds, and covering the Beatles (Money Can't Buy Me Love) and working Slash and ODB (Fix) were hinting at this. I met him and CH in 97 in Paris and I remember TR was upset because BOTDF was heavily played in Europe and to those who knew TR sound well, it sounded dated (but the fact it was a MJ track meant more than that, and time proved that I think). Back then he really wanted to release the track with an updatesd sound: new arangements etc... same wth the Wreckx n Effect released the same year: he was disappointed with the final CD they released (he produced only like 2 or 3 tracks on it). He was at the top of his game back then, and sure in total control of his business. It would of course change as soon as Finally was released (with all the problems that came after this).

Last time I met him was in NYC december 2010 at the Michael party. he was another man then.

back then TR was promoting Another level, BLACKstreet's second album. It was huge. Artistically speaking, I think their first set is more interesting, but Another Level was full of hits and very radio friendly. This is when TR got the most exposed in Europe, especially France (quite no one heard of him during his GUY days there).
So back then his goal was to promote all his new style he had worked hard on with BLACKstreet: tracks like No Diggity, Fix etc.. that were dramatic evolution from the NJS edged he had released so far. he was opening his music to new sounds, and covering the Beatles (Money Can't Buy Me Love) and working Slash and ODB (Fix) were hinting at this. I met him and CH in 97 in Paris and I remember TR was upset because BOTDF was heavily played in Europe and to those who knew TR sound well, it sounded dated (but the fact it was a MJ track meant more than that, and time proved that I think). Back then he really wanted to release the track with an updatesd sound: new arangements etc... same wth the Wreckx n Effect released the same year: he was disappointed with the final CD they released (he produced only like 2 or 3 tracks on it). He was at the top of his game back then, and sure in total control of his business. It would of course change as soon as Finally was released (with all the problems that came after this).

Last time I met him was in NYC december 2010 at the Michael party. he was another man then.
In what way, if I may ask?

Thanks for sharing your info btw.

well, it seems he was dealing with all the emotional situation surrounding the making and release of the Michael compilation (to me it is just compilation, not an album as it does not have such edge). He was over reacting to people meeting him, smiling etc.... during the evening, he went to a corner of the club and just cracked up, crying. It really tok a toll on him. I remember quite evryone there was just busy with getting the right pix with everyone. I just could feel Michael's absence even mre, just looking at all his collaborators there (lawyers, producers etc...). All were there, but not him. I am aways sad when I think of this.

In addition to Blood on the Dance floor being a wonderful track, how fine did Michael look in the video? Damn!!

Def one of the most underrated Michael Jackson songs, altho MTV did play it A LOT.

In addition to Blood on the Dance floor being a wonderful track, how fine did Michael look in the video? Damn!!

That is so true!!! BOTDF has become one of my favorites from the beginning - so simple in it's form, yet so memorable, so raw, so full of energy!!! Michael looked very good in it - red suits him so good and I'm not even gonna start about what he did to his hair in the video:bow:

I love the beat, the melody,the Michael's vocals on it and his ( and others) dancing in the short film, just super! :D

This is another song that Michael didn't necessarily do a "short film" for (I consider his short films to be Black or White, Thriller, Bad, etc.), and I think this is one of his best. But it irritates me when the Refugee Camp Mix is played rather than the album version. I like the mix (Michael's lead vocals are layered louder) but the album version is better.

All time fave. That's quite a story, how he predicted what it was about. Michael was definitely a force.

I think that's amazing how Michael just knew. He really was a very interesting and gifted person. He never fails to intrigue and amaze me, in a good way of course. Great story. I love this song, it's definitely one of the best. It's powerful and great all around. Underrated for sure but truly genius. Only Michael, only Michael.

Back